The Average Gamer Is "Old"

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to a new study, the average age of gamers is 32 while avid PC gamers and offline PC gamers are 42 on average. Take that all you whipper snappers…now get off my lawn!

The average age of gamers increased slightly over last year from 31 years of age in the 2009 study to 32 years in this year’s study. Avid PC Gamers and Offline PC Gamers, comprising 11 percent and 8 percent of the gaming population, respectively, are the oldest segments with an average age for both of 42 years.

The average age of gamers increased slightly over last year from 31 years of age in the 2009 study to 32 years in this year’s study. Avid PC Gamers and Offline PC Gamers, comprising 11 percent and 8 percent of the gaming population, respectively, are the oldest segments with an average age for both of 42 years.

No way! :rolleyes:

We are the elite!

Has anyone seen my blanket?

Sounds fishy to me. Pretty sure the average age of the WoW playerbase, which makes up the bulk of PC gaming, is about 12.

Your point?

His point is that the in the time of 1 year the age went up 1 year. Statements like that just look funny when you are pooling the same group of people because it is exactly what you would expect to happen.

So what is errant here? Did they sample the same people? If they did, it will always go up until the older folks start dying. Did they pool everyone? No. But, if their sampling is sound, then it would roughly mean that younger people are not getting into video games.

46 y/o Gamer here.

I'm grateful I can afford to own a high end system and the legal purchase of games now. It hasn't always been the case. It's easier to splurge on toys when you are older and well established.

I work in IT, so its inherent that I am a sucker for the [H]ardware.

With gamers that "old," you'd think we'd see even more extreme gaming setups. You know, eyefiniti, triple video cards, etc.

His point is that the in the time of 1 year the age went up 1 year. Statements like that just look funny when you are pooling the same group of people because it is exactly what you would expect to happen.

So what is errant here? Did they sample the same people? If they did, it will always go up until the older folks start dying. Did they pool everyone? No. But, if their sampling is sound, then it would roughly mean that younger people are not getting into video games.

In January 2010, The NPD Group fielded an online survey that was completed by18,872 consumer panel members ages 2 and older.
I'm thinking the two-year olds weren't in last year's survey.

Makes perfect sense. Thats about the right age for when the 286/386 hit and the golden age of PC gaming began.

I am 46 and consider myself an avid PC gamer. I play "something" on the PC every day.
Defense Grid, CS:S, Stalker, etc. etc. etc. The PC and PC gaming IS my main form of home/free time entertainment.

I was 25 or 26 when I got my first 386 with DOS 3.x/4.x (can't remember) and loaded up Wing Commander on my specialized boot disk. Kings Quest, Leasure Suit Larry...etc.etc. Then Falcon came out and me and my buddy would try to play co-op over dialup. I've forgotten more games than most people have played.

sigh...

Give that reporter a dollar. . . .do it for me please as my red Vette is still on the lot but one day it will be mine . .. .all mine. . .midlife crisis or not. . . .

46 y/o Gamer here.

I'm grateful I can afford to own a high end system and the legal purchase of games now. It hasn't always been the case. It's easier to splurge on toys when you are older and well established.

I work in IT, so its inherent that I am a sucker for the [H]ardware.

yup IT worker here and just played another round of TF2 at 37 yrs old :D

Getting my glass of warm milk to try to play my PC games now. I just hope the DRM bastards let me play before my milk gets cool.

Damn...never thought I was the average gamer. I would have never guessed it from playing online, seems like every server you get on is full of whiny little teenagers.

Give that reporter a dollar. . . .do it for me please as my red Vette is still on the lot but one day it will be mine . .. .all mine. . .midlife crisis or not. . . .

You talking about my old used car?

Kinda makes perfect sense to me.
A lot of us 30'ish folks is of the 8-bit Nintendo generation.
The generations after that don't seem to be quite as hardcore.

Kind of makes sense.
Well at least the next time some gibber head starts screaming about "the children" and M and AO rated games, we can point them at this statistic. Perhaps they will figure out that M and AO rated games exist because the average age of the people playing them is over 30.

Hehehehe.............I just might be the oldest guy on this forum.....:eek:

and I definately am older that 42, I certainly weight the curve to the right, no doubt.

Makes you wonder.........if the average is 42 years, how many people under 30 were even interviewed.
I'd like to see the console data, and average age there.

44 year old here, play cod4 with my 17 yr old son, my 42 yr old bro, and 16 yr old nephew.

46 y/o Gamer here.

46 here as well, and just ordered a nicely loaded rig from Maingear computers (don't have the time to mess around and try building on myself at the moment and my current desktop is toast), so yeah it's never being established enough to be able to afford the "toys" I want.

Damn...never thought I was the average gamer. I would have never guessed it from playing online, seems like every server you get on is full of whiny little teenagers.

Yeah, I'm right about the average as well. It makes me sad to think that the "whiny little brats" don't have the excuse of actual youth, but are just transformed by anonymity.

Makes perfect sense. Thats about the right age for when the 286/386 hit and the golden age of PC gaming began.

I am 46 and consider myself an avid PC gamer. I play "something" on the PC every day.
Defense Grid, CS:S, Stalker, etc. etc. etc. The PC and PC gaming IS my main form of home/free time entertainment.

I was 25 or 26 when I got my first 386 with DOS 3.x/4.x (can't remember) and loaded up Wing Commander on my specialized boot disk. Kings Quest, Leasure Suit Larry...etc.etc. Then Falcon came out and me and my buddy would try to play co-op over dialup. I've forgotten more games than most people have played.

sigh...

ah the days of DOS gaming
Cought the end of that my self when i was 14

31 here. Right on that curve. We are the gaming generation.

Sounds fishy to me. Pretty sure the average age of the WoW playerbase, which makes up the bulk of PC gaming, is about 12.

Not fishy at all! They just did "average age" not "What do older gamers act like"! So that explains the wow theory! hehe

It shouldn't, unless they polled exactly the same people last year as this year.

hey i started gaming with the birth of PC gaming. We don't just die after a couple of years :)

46 now and still gaming ...though it is starting to slide a bit :(

Back