The BenQ V2400 arrived today...

OverDriven

n00b
I'm a bit disappointed. The monitor looks great for the most part. No dead pixels and the colors are vibrant. It's really a great looking monitor. However, if you turn the screen all one color (white, red, green, blue, whatever) there is some SERIOUS unevenness in the backlight. There is a horizontal band across the middle that is brighter than the rest of the monitor, and the rest of the monitor is blotchy. The blotchiness isn't that bad at all, but the band across the middle is getting on my nerves. It's not a sharply defined band, but rather a brighter area in the middle that fades off as you go up or down, like a gradient. You can even see the band when the background isn't all one color if you look closely. It might not bug some people, but I'm picky.

My question...do monitor backlights tend to even out after a little use or should I just return this thing for a new one? Also, I haven't really seen many comments about the backlight on these monitors being uneven. Anyone else have an experience with the V2400W like mine?

I had the exact same problem with the lighter horizontal band in the center of my V2400W and it never went away. I don't think I noticed any of the "blotchiness" you described.

Honestly though, I used my V2400W for about six months, switched to a Dell 2209WA and haven't looked back. The only thing I miss from the V2400W is the size, but in terms of picture quality and gaming performance the 2209WA is far better in my opinion.

I'm a bit disappointed. The monitor looks great for the most part. No dead pixels and the colors are vibrant. It's really a great looking monitor. However, if you turn the screen all one color (white, red, green, blue, whatever) there is some SERIOUS unevenness in the backlight. There is a horizontal band across the middle that is brighter than the rest of the monitor, and the rest of the monitor is blotchy. The blotchiness isn't that bad at all, but the band across the middle is getting on my nerves. It's not a sharply defined band, but rather a brighter area in the middle that fades off as you go up or down, like a gradient. You can even see the band when the background isn't all one color if you look closely. It might not bug some people, but I'm picky.

My question...do monitor backlights tend to even out after a little use or should I just return this thing for a new one? Also, I haven't really seen many comments about the backlight on these monitors being uneven. Anyone else have an experience with the V2400W like mine?

I'm on my 3rd one. This one is better than the first two. I've noticed the line across the middle, not so much in this one, but more so on the first two. Really a non issue for me.

The unevenness I've noticed in all of them, must be a v2400w thing. I'm highly likely to keep this one because its much better than the others, and I like this monitor for its 24" size and I like the looks.

If you bought it at the Benq store, call them up and keep replacing it until you get one that works for you (I didn't pay any shipping for all the monitors I sent back- it was a quality control issue I told them, UPS kept coming with prepaid labels to take them back)
The Benq customer service, for me, was fantastic. They told me I could keep getting new ones for as long as it took to get one that *I* thought was good.

If you don't want to try another one, (needing 2 to get a sense that its an issue imho) get your money back and move on.

Thank you for the advice, guys. I'm not sure what I want to do. I adjusted the brightness and contrast to where I like it a little better and it made the horizontal band less apparent, though it's still there. I'm going to use it over the weekend and make my decision monday. Other than this problem, the monitor is excellent. I even tested backlight bleed last night and there is basically zero.

Thank you for the advice, guys. I'm not sure what I want to do. I adjusted the brightness and contrast to where I like it a little better and it made the horizontal band less apparent, though it's still there. I'm going to use it over the weekend and make my decision monday. Other than this problem, the monitor is excellent. I even tested backlight bleed last night and there is basically zero.

Where did you get it? Can it be returned easily to try another?

Where did you get it? Can it be returned easily to try another?

I got it from the BenQ online store, so yes it will be easy to return. I'm going to call them today about it.

I'm definitely not downgrading to a 22". I'll have BenQ send me another V2400W and see if it's better.

I've had my two V2400W for about two weeks now and I haven't noticed any banding- mine are crisp all the way across.

I got it from the BenQ online store, so yes it will be easy to return. I'm going to call them today about it.

I'm definitely not downgrading to a 22". I'll have BenQ send me another V2400W and see if it's better.

That's good. IMO try another to see if it's still an issue for you. I wouldn't plan on downgrading either. :)
Hopefully they will be as understanding to you about free shipping as they were to me. But, as a caveat, I bought 2 within a week and a half, so maybe that helped.

I've had my two V2400W for about two weeks now and I haven't noticed any banding- mine are crisp all the way across.

The first one that I bought has been fine, no issues to speak of. The second one however..... looks like 3rd times the charm. :)

That's good. IMO try another to see if it's still an issue for you. I wouldn't plan on downgrading either. :)
Hopefully they will be as understanding to you about free shipping as they were to me. But, as a caveat, I bought 2 within a week and a half, so maybe that helped.

UPS is going to pick it up tomorrow. They offered free shipping without even having to ask for it. Great customer service. I have a question though. The customer service guy said I need to have the RMA number he gave me on the box. Do I also need to make a label with an address, or does the UPS guy come with a label already made and everything? I guess I can call and ask, but I'm just curious what you did.

And one other thing...on mine the photo, dynamics and movie modes give the screen a strong magenta hue. It looks terrible if you are actually in the OS. If your entire screen is filled with a video or a picture it's OK, but it still looks strongly magenta to me. These modes are supposed to kick in the "Senseye" technology. Does anyone else get the same effect I'm getting?

UPS is going to pick it up tomorrow. They offered free shipping without even having to ask for it. Great customer service. I have a question though. The customer service guy said I need to have the RMA number he gave me on the box. Do I also need to make a label with an address, or does the UPS guy come with a label already made and everything? I guess I can call and ask, but I'm just curious what you did.

I'd put the RMA # and address on it just in case. I did this on the first time, but then forgot to do it on the other and UPS had a label all completely prepared and slapped it on and off it went.

Glad you got the free shipping. Hopefully the 2nd is a better monitor for you.

And one other thing...on mine the photo, dynamics and movie modes give the screen a strong magenta hue. It looks terrible if you are actually in the OS. If your entire screen is filled with a video or a picture it's OK, but it still looks strongly magenta to me. These modes are supposed to kick in the "Senseye" technology. Does anyone else get the same effect I'm getting?

I just tried this and *I* don't see anything out of the ordinary. Was this on an all white screen or just at the desktop with icons etc?

Either it's another issue with that monitor, or your more sensitive to seeing it (?)

I keep mine on standard where I adjust the brightness, contrast, color and senseye demo is off. I like my monitor on the dark side.

It was on the desktop. There must be something else wrong with this monitor then. It's not something I'm only seeing because I have sensitive eyes...it turns the screen friggin purple...anyone could see it easily. I'm really curious how the new one will be, and also why I got such a screwed up monitor.

It was on the desktop. There must be something else wrong with this monitor then. It's not something I'm only seeing because I have sensitive eyes...it turns the screen friggin purple...anyone could see it easily. I'm really curious how the new one will be, and also why I got such a screwed up monitor.

Hmm. No purple on any of the screens I've had, this being the 3rd.
Hopefully this next one is better. As for the screwed up monitor, just the luck of the draw, I know the feeling.:(

Back