The Best Mice Thread (ongoing)

NeoDiNardo

Limp Gawd
I had another thread but I realised it was poorly titled.

Let's keep an ongoing thread of the best mice here.

What do you use and why?

What are the best mice?

What is the best sensor?

Who makes the best durable mice?

Which brands to stay away from?

What are the deal breakers for you?

Best drivers? Worst drivers?

Who has the best scroll wheels? Best buttons?

Post personal reviews and pro review links here!!

What is the best 5 mice, best one for FPS, best for MMO, best for Diablo 3, ETC.

I think it would be useful to have all this information in one spot. Post away if you want that to happen! Get the snowball rolling down the hill.

Last edited:
Best mouse is around ~~2000dpi flawless sensor. Simple ergonomics an weight. Good material and build quality with good customization options. 2 easily clickable quality buttons on the left.

Currently I'm looking at the Logitech G600 and the CM Sentinal Advance II. I have high hopes for the G600, it seems to hold more fingers in grooves and has Naga like buttons, Logitech build quality, and seemingly decent drivers. I preordered it.

Last edited:
I don't think there is a "best" mouse per se... there is maybe best for any given individuals hand size grip preferences ...etc

in my case I seem to be a Logitech guy i guess.

I had a G5 for about 4~years ... that thing put up with some abuse and kept on going but finally started having the scroll wheel fail.

I bought a Corsair M60 and Immediately regretted it... so sad build quality is fantastic but it is way too short for me to use comfortably at all. Finally i gave up and returned it when I realized it was an adjustment issue and that it just wasn't going to work for me.

I bought instead (for less $) a Logitech G500... night and day difference for me, nearly perfect fit in my hand buttons laid out in a very comfortable easy to use way (the sniper button on the M60 was placed in the most stupid way.... can anyone use that ...cause if so your thumb is way too damned long:))

Logitech's drivers seem to be much better (maybe cause they have been @ the whole mice deal awhile) more mature.

so yeah as far a my case goes the G500 is my ideal gaming mouse for now.

oh however.. i have had my G500 a few months and the finish (by logitch logo) is showing wear... don't matter my G5 did the same thing but never affected usability and it lasted 4 years ...I do wish they would look into making finish more resistant to showing wear so quickly however.

Last edited:
I'm currently using a Logitech G9X. It is very comfortable. Before that I had a G500. I'd say the G500 is probably the winner of this contest.

For browsing/general use, the Logitech MX Revolution is ridiculously hard to beat. Due to the horrible battery life I'm now getting with the mouse and the desire for more buttons, I'd love to upgrade, but can't for one reason.

The clutched scroll wheel.

Want to reach the bottom of a page quickly? Just flick the wheel. It unlocks, free spins, then locks back when it stops (or you stop it). Logitech move to the MX Performance which has a button that unlocks the wheel. Better than a strict click-to-click mouse, but IMO it doesn't beat the flickable MX Revolution.

I want more buttons for gaming, and the ability to use it like the MX Performance/G700 where it can be used while charging, but were it not for those minor niggles, this mouse would be perfect.

When it comes to mice, I almost always go Logitech or Microsoft. The fact that neither has released a mouse that was lustworthy in years has made me start looking elsewhere though. Its a shame, because I've always upgraded out of want before, not out of need. Both companies make some seriously solid mice.

EDIT: I decided to restart the looking and it seems as if the G700 DOES have the auto switching clutch. Is this the case? I thought with previous searching that that was not the case. If the G700 does have that feature, I'm buying one immediately. Nevermind. The wait continues.

Last edited:
Logitech G9 and G9x. Absolutely love the feel and build quality of it. Feels very nice and solid and with 2 different grips and weights you can add in different places, its all the better. Sensor is the most accurate I've ever used.

Razer Deathadder is a close 2nd. It is the most comfortable mouse I've ever used as well as the coolest looking. Sensor isn't as surgical as the G9 but its close enough.

Logitech G700. Very nice feel and design with excellent wireless performance. Got a couple downsides like a cord that is as thick as a garden hose and it weighs about 20 pounds so its in 3rd place on my list.

The old Microsoft Sidewinder with the over/under thumb buttons was great. I'm still liking my Mionix Naos 5000. I tried the Rat7 but it had so many adjustments I couldn't get a comfortable feel for it, but it was ok. Wonder why the over/under thumb button design went by-by? Maybe an M/S patent, but I wish other mice had that feature.

Wonder why they discontinued that Sidewinder? I always wanted to try that one but never got around to it and now they're gone. Seemed to be a good design.

The Razer Naga has been serving me well, all the numbers on the side might look nasty but they actually help for FPS's and what not.

I dont know if your looking for one for gaming though. :confused:

But it does have easy to reach forward and back buttons for browsing as well.

I'm using G700 with Razer Ironclad mousepad and I'm very happy with this combo

100% wireless use, 200h of BF3, 200h of Diablo 3 not a single issue with wireless being not good enough for gaming or not reliable

I decided to replace original skatez to this http://miceskatez.com/index.php?a=site&name=product_info for less friction and better overall control

I was using Razer Mamba 2012 and I was not happy with it because of terrible wireless performance, every single game I had some minor issues with pointer stuck for 0.5sec or mouse click not registered, since G700 works 100% in the same environment I blame it on Razer design

I'm vouching for my Razer Orochi. Wired mouse with a wireless option. 4000 DPI, adjustable increments of 125 DPI. Adjustable acceleration, 1000Hz polling, and custom profile storage on mouse.

It's the perfect mouse if you like your mouse as tiny as possible while maintaining all the features of a high-end model.

I'm currently using the TTesports Theron. I had the Logitech G5, G500, and G9x before. It is very comfortable and has a hybrid grip claw/palm which fits my hand better than the Logitech mouse.

I picked up a R.A.T 7 a year and half ago, and I will never go back. Love the weight, customization and the solid construction.

Lets not forget the scare factor :p

But I guess it's not for everyone.

I think it's the only part that I would buy again if it broke.

I ordered up the G600 from Amazon. Besides the Naga like buttons with a less cool name, it looks like it craddles your hand a bit with all the finger grooves, does not have a painted graphic or rubber layer that will wear away, and has good drivers that some brands lack.

I'm vouching for my Razer Orochi. Wired mouse with a wireless option. 4000 DPI, adjustable increments of 125 DPI. Adjustable acceleration, 1000Hz polling, and custom profile storage on mouse.

It's the perfect mouse if you like your mouse as tiny as possible while maintaining all the features of a high-end model.

I second this, I have an Orochi and like it. I had one a long time ago (~2yrs ago) but there were sleep problems with the bluetooth so I ended up returning it, but they seem to have released a firmware update that addresses this, so recently I gave it another try. The issue is still present, but to a far lesser degree, and after using the mouse extensively for 3 weeks while traveling (including standard usage and also playing Diablo 3- all in wireless mode) I found that I did not even notice it was there unless I actively looked for it. Also no problems with the battery life I've been using the same set for like 7 months now no problems (although I am a fairly light user of the mouse). I find myself liking the mouse more and more now.

My other mouse is a Mamba 2012, which is pretty good too IMHO. It's not perfect sadly but good enough and I like it enough that I put up with the drawbacks. The wireless connection I'd say is 99% reliable (I see occasional but definite skips in the mouse cursor, but it could be due to being in a very crowded wireless environment- curious if I would see the same thing tested elsewhere). One neat thing is that the mamba and the orochi have the same number of buttons, so I can mirror layouts between the two and get a somewhat consistent gaming experience.

SteelSeries Ikari Lazer Mouse is my favorite right now.

It is made for right handed fit and is comfortable to use for long periods of time. Has good solid lazer sensor and is smooth. Drivers work well. DPI settings are fully adjustable at any number. Once the settings are loaded on the mouse you can plug the mouse in any computer and the same settings will remain.

I have the white and black one and it looks good.

I was hoping to find a thread like this as I am considering the g600/g700 from logitech to replace two or three mice including my ageing mx518

I do not need lots of buttons, just good scroll wheel ( I research a lot ) and back and forward buttons.

wireless is overrated for a desktop IMO and I do not game on a laptop so that is the least desirable aspects.

must look into these other mice

I was researching mice and was annoyed at how fragmented the info was. Then I found in my first comparison mouse thread that hey - Other people want to chat it out too!! So that was idea behind this thread.

I've said it before, and will say it again.

The best, most comfortable, longest lasting, very accurate, and even nicest looking mice Ive ever used: Deathadder - and I don't like Razer.

I've said it before, and will say it again.

The best, most comfortable, longest lasting, very accurate, and even nicest looking mice Ive ever used: Deathadder - and I don't like Razer.
Yes when you can get one that doesnt die in 3 months. If you get one that last longer than that you are GOLDEN. Great mouse!

So far my corsair m90 is making a very good first impression. Considerable upgrade from my g9x. It's also, to me, the best looking mouse ever. Might make a review later.

I ordered up the G600 from Amazon. Besides the Naga like buttons with a less cool name, it looks like it craddles your hand a bit with all the finger grooves, does not have a painted graphic or rubber layer that will wear away, and has good drivers that some brands lack.

I have the non-gaming version of that mouse (looks about the same minus the third thumb button and the DPI adjustments) and the comfort level is great. Again, the only things I don't like about the mouse are the lack of buttons (I'd need one more than the G600 would give me) and the scroll wheel not auto unlocking.

I'm waiting on Logitech's next round of mice to see what they offer in the G700/MX Performance replacements. If I can't get what I want out of those, I guess I'll just pony up for the R.A.T. 9.

Can anyone recommend a good claw/fingertip mouse? I've yet to find one. I've tried the following mice and haven't been completely satisfied with any of them, for one reason or another:

CM Storm Spawn - the groove for ring finger annoys me and makes the mouse too wide. Best sensor I've ever used, though.

CM Storm Inferno - too bulky. sensor does not work well on cloth pads.

G300 - The contoured grooves on both left/right side of mouse - I prefer no contours or very little. This is a bit too extreme for me.

G400 - too bulky and not entirely comfortable.

G9x - too small. grips are useless. not comfortable.

A4-Tech F3 - nothing special.

I would stay away from the G400. A few friends of mine and myself have all had problems with it after a few months of use. I have had it for maybe 6 months and it freezes all the time now, same with all my friends. I have seen this issue become a lot more common now as new reviews pop up from long term owners. I ordered a Mionix Naos 3200, it will get here Monday, I hope it works out great, has great reviews.

Can anyone recommend a good claw/fingertip mouse? I've yet to find one. I've tried the following mice and haven't been completely satisfied with any of them, for one reason or another:

CM Storm Spawn - the groove for ring finger annoys me and makes the mouse too wide. Best sensor I've ever used, though.

G300 - The contoured grooves on both left/right side of mouse - I prefer no contours or very little. This is a bit too extreme for me.

I am a claw gripper and I enjoy using the G700.

Yes when you can get one that doesnt die in 3 months. If you get one that last longer than that you are GOLDEN. Great mouse!

I have 2, first one is the mac edition 1800 dpi - still works like new, its about 5 years old. Got the newer one with the braided cable, had it for about a year, still works like new.

I've owned a lot of gaming mice but none come close to the tracking of the Ikari laser. I have not tried the sensei and tried the xai for a short while but returned it because the last of a double click option in the software to make the middle button double click. But the Ikari is so good at tracking, it's like an extension of my hand and I can put the cursor where I want it with no effort or overshooting.

The main problem with the Ikari is the build, it's horrible, and the mouse doesn't last long at all for being so expensive.

The razer mamba has tracking issues, too much acceleration, I end up overshooting where I want to click all the time. Very annoying but the wireless capabilities are great.

The death adder would come in a close second to the Ikari in tracking as would the Logitech G700, both are great mice. These 2 are my favorite 'second' mice, great tracking and reliable, but I'm at the point to where I'm wearing out the G700 now. Great wireless also, but the batteries don't last very long and it's a pain to constantly change them out.
The G9 I hated, I thought the tracking was horrible, way to many straight lines it made, difficult to put the cursor where you want it.

Razer Lachesis wasn't bad, but made strictly for claw gamers but when I tried to make the middle button a double click it would ALWAYS triple click. Not good for desktop use at all.

Logitech mx518 - great mouse but the buttons wore out fast in it.

So before I have to start a thread, does anyone know of a mouse that has the same tracking capabilities of the Ikari laser that they could recommend? Shape or size is jot an issue, if it has killer tracking, my hand will get used to it. It just can't be the Ikari because or gone through 2 of them already without putting that many miles at all on them. They simply do not last and are not well built, which is sad because the tracking is pinpoint SUPERB on that mouse.

Last edited:
Dunan - have you tried the CM Storm Spawn? I have no idea how the Ikari laser compares, but the tracking on the CM Storm Spawn was the best I've ever used. Unbelievably smooth.

Dunan - have you tried the CM Storm Spawn? I have no idea how the Ikari laser compares, but the tracking on the CM Storm Spawn was the best I've ever used. Unbelievably smooth.

No I haven't, I havent bought a mouse since the G700 but skimmed to see if there is anything new out. I'm a mouse hound lol I like to try out new stuff but nothing has interested me since the Ikari and G700 tracked so well. The reviews seem to be all about ergonomics and features but never discuss tracking.

Is that a cooler master product? I'll have to take a look, thanks for the suggestion!

EDIT: just looked at it, it's really limited in configurations like the DPI, that already kills the deal. :(

Last edited:

SS Kinzu v2 was nice for gaming but my hand gets tired using claw grip.

No I haven't, I havent bought a mouse since the G700 but skimmed to see if there is anything new out. I'm a mouse hound lol I like to try out new stuff but nothing has interested me since the Ikari and G700 tracked so well. The reviews seem to be all about ergonomics and features but never discuss tracking.

Is that a cooler master product? I'll have to take a look, thanks for the suggestion!

EDIT: just looked at it, it's really limited in configurations like the DPI, that already kills the deal. :(

Pity...oh well. The sensor is supposedly one of the best on the market. They need to put that sensor into other mice. I'm also a mouse hound, as I'm still looking for the perfect mouse that suits my needs.

Pity...oh well. The sensor is supposedly one of the best on the market. They need to put that sensor into other mice. I'm also a mouse hound, as I'm still looking for the perfect mouse that suits my needs.

That really sucks because they could do so much more with it. It only gave 3 DPI settings that aren't changeable. :(

Actually I own the CM spawn and you HAVE to HAVE a certain mouse pad and color for it to function well.

I have tried almost every mouse out there and I always go back to my intellimouse 3.0. Since I play with a low sensitivity, I don't need more than its 450 dpi. I use it for the shape and the weight mostly, because it's very light compared to practically every other mouse out there. I'm going to try the Kinzu v2 at some point see if I like it.

Last edited:
I personally think as of right now the CM Storm Spawn is the best claw grip mouse (Avago 3090 sensor) and the CM Storn Sentinel Advance II is the best palm style mouse (Avago 9800 sensor).

I prefer the Spawn's more basic drivers to the Sentinel Advance II's driver bloat, but both do what they need to without issue. Just pisses me off CoolerMaster makes me download a 100MB looping background animation AVI that's disabled by default in the Advance II drivers (150MB driver package for no reason!).

The Spawn's button layout is fairly basic but usable, with left, right, middle click and two side buttons. It does not offer the level of "alt key" style customization as the Sentinel Advance II, but is still flexible enough for 99% of gamers, or so I imagine. The chasis shape takes some getting used to coming from a Razer Lachesis, but if you're a claw gripper you should be able to adjust to it easily and soon it will feel like second nature.

Construction of the Spawn, Xornet, and Sentinel Advance II is basic but very solid. No metal, just plastic and rubber grip surfaces, but they're well made and seem as though they will pass the test of time. The grip surfaces do not flex or creak when squeezed.

I have had my Spawn for about 8 months and it still looks as new. This is more than I can say for the grip surfaces on many Logitech and Razer mice I have owned in the past, and it's worth noting I'm fairly "gentle" with my mice. The full extent of abuse they might suffer is being stuffed in a backpack for a LAN from time to time. I don't wear rings, drop them, or do anything else that might regularly damage them. Of course, I've also never had a mouse fail on me since the switch to optical sensors, so if you're really hard on your mice and have killed a lot of them, it might be best to go elsewhere for your reviews...

Nothing on the Spawn is lit apart from the sensor itself, but its red on black color scheme is fairly attractive without being too over the top. I do wish "SPAWN" wasn't written out so big on the side, but for $35 or so shipped I can honestly say you can't find a better gaming mouse, so I won't complain too loudly.

It's also worth noting that I own the CM Storm Xornet, which is basically a "bare bones" Spawn without many of the customization options. The chasis and button layout is identical, just all black instead of black on red. This is still a very solid mouse and likely your aboslute best bet if you're on a really tight budget -- it's regularly found for around $25-30 shipped, and I got it on sale for $17 shipped. There's nothing else around this price-point that can hope to compare despite its shortcomings.

Those shortcomings are fairly limited; mostly you can't remap / change any button functions. This is most annoying for me with regard to the DPI up and down buttons. Forward and Back on the side can be easily mapped to almost any control in most games so that 's a non-issue, but the DPI up and down buttons cannot and tapping one accidentally (which I do, often) can be very frustrating. The Avago 3050 sensor is (to me at least) almost indistinguishable from the 3090 in the CM Storm Spawn. Again, the highest praise I can give to any mouse at this point in time. It does drop maximum DPI to 2000 vs 4000 on the Spawn, so if you're used to crazy high DPI mice this probably isn't the one for you.

Back to the "top end" CM Storm offering, though -- the Sentinel Advance II. The color customization is nice on the Advance II; I generally put the LEDs on white or disable them, but for fans of bling you have a number of options from yellow to blue to green or red. You can even make the front lights one color and the top lights another.

Tracking with the Advance II is great, very similar to the Spawn (which at this point, again, is the highest praise I can give to any mouse -- I love my Spawn). The higher DPI when compared with the Spawn may be helpful if you're in to that, but I notice I use them both on similar settings, generally around 1800 but sometimes higher, rarely above 3600. Certainly nowhere near the 8200 the Advance II is capable of.

I'm more of a Claw gripper in recent years, though I used to use Palm style a lot. Making the transition after buying the Advance II has been difficult for me and for that reason and that reason alone you may see mine in FS/FT soon (that, and I'm dirt poor and shouldn't have bought it in the first place...). It's a great mouse.

If you're a palm gripper I strongly recommend the Advance II; I think it's one of the best, if not the best sensor available in a palm grip mouse at this point in time, and the $60 price is reasonable for what you get. Some may not need or want a white OLED screen on top of their mouse, or customizable LED colors, or a weight modification system (I need none of these things, sadly). That said, the Avago 9800 sensor is worth the price of admission alone and the contruction is very solid. The braided cord is arguably an improvement over the Spawn (though I've never had problems with rubber coated cords -- what are you people doing to your mice?!) and the build quality is clearly top notch.

Actually I own the CM spawn and you HAVE to HAVE a certain mouse pad and color for it to function well.

Not at all true. Zero issues on my Artisan HIEN HARD L or Steelseries QCK Mass pads, or the Razer Goliathus pad before it, or the Ratpadz XT before that...

3 of 4 are black, true, but the HARD L is navy blue. Again, no issues.

Maybe light colored pads could cause problems, but again, I've never had any and I've used many different surfaces.

I have the non-gaming version of that mouse (looks about the same minus the third thumb button and the DPI adjustments) and the comfort level is great. Again, the only things I don't like about the mouse are the lack of buttons (I'd need one more than the G600 would give me) and the scroll wheel not auto unlocking.

I'm waiting on Logitech's next round of mice to see what they offer in the G700/MX Performance replacements. If I can't get what I want out of those, I guess I'll just pony up for the R.A.T. 9.

Friends don't let friends buy the RAT 9, or any other Phillips Twin Eye sensor based mice for that matter.

Last edited:
Back