The Buyer's Guide: 6600 GT - 8800 GTX / HD 2900 XT - Performance and Technology

4 May 07: Added: 8800 Ultra, 8500 GT performance, X1950 GT AGP and G84/G86 in the Media section. Updated: bang for buck cards

Edit
Post 3 has now reached the 20 000 characters limit :(

Edit 2
Sixthsense, I couldn't find a good power table which included the new nVidia cards. :(

I smell a F.an.Boy

Bang for buck cards
<$100 = 7600 GS 256MB ($86)
<$150 = X1650 XT 256MB ($100)
<$200 = X1950 Pro 256MB ($150)
<$250 = X1950 XT 256MB ($180)
<$500 = 8800 GTS 320MB ($270)
<$600 = 8800 GTX 768MB ($530)

Your on crack right?

Are you just completely oblivious to the 8800GTS 640? And why list the 320 in the $500 price range when you shouldve just bumped that 1950XT out and put it in the sub $200 your contradicting yourself, the 1950pro cant be the best card under $200 if the XT is $180 now can it?

Sorry but your guide looks good but then again i can copy and paste all my info too without the pro ATI spin.

I smell a F.an.Boy

Your on crack right?

It's called a "GUIDE", not the law.

YMMV.

But, was there any need for those statements? Since you made the comment, "i can copy and paste all my info too without the pro ATI spin.", we await your "GUIDE".

It's called a "GUIDE", not the law.

YMMV.

But, was there any need for those statements? Since you made the comment, "i can copy and paste all my info too without the pro ATI spin.", we await your "GUIDE".

Whos we? Anyone that intends to make any kind of guide has to expect that sort of flac regardless of what its for. This is [H] you want a guide or this info take a look at the front page bring the traffic there for this sort of thing.

Making an up to date guide in the tech community is an exercise in futility and truly a waste of time. Hell by next week most of the info contained in this guide will be outdated. all that will be left thats accurate is the description of the different models of GPU's.

Im sharing my opinion and if you dont like it too damn bad. You dont have to read my posts.

I smell a F.an.Boy

Your on crack right?

Are you just completely oblivious to the 8800GTS 640? And why list the 320 in the $500 price range when you shouldve just bumped that 1950XT out and put it in the sub $200 your contradicting yourself, the 1950pro cant be the best card under $200 if the XT is $180 now can it?

Sorry but your guide looks good but then again i can copy and paste all my info too without the pro ATI spin.
I forgot to change the price ranges when the edit was done - thanks for noticing it.

The 8800 GTS costs $100 more than the 320MB which, IMO, hardly makes it a "bang for buck" card. Just to make it clear, I have e.g. mentioned the 8800 GTX simply because it's extremely fast without being outrageously overpriced. Yes, I'm looking at you Ultra!

Why do you call me a fanboy without providing any evidence to support such a accusation? If it matters for you, I have currently a 8800 GTX.

Nice thread. If people use it we won't see any more knee-jerk "Get this card" reactions because people will have real stats with real facts. Anyway at current I don't need a new videocard (who upgrades 7900GTX SLI when the res maxes at 1280x1024?) but I'll certainly dig for this when I do!

Whos we? Anyone that intends to make any kind of guide has to expect that sort of flac regardless of what its for. This is [H] you want a guide or this info take a look at the front page bring the traffic there for this sort of thing.

Making an up to date guide in the tech community is an exercise in futility and truly a waste of time. Hell by next week most of the info contained in this guide will be outdated. all that will be left thats accurate is the description of the different models of GPU's.

Im sharing my opinion and if you dont like it too damn bad. You dont have to read my posts.
My orginal thread has been updated since 23/11-2004 - that's 2.5 years!

Please amuse me, tell me about the info which will be outdated by next week?

Btw, you are the only person who has directed such "flac". Yes, I have been critiziced, but never attacked like now.

We, as in, anyone coming to this forum looking for a way to gauge what their options are; before reading 'in-depth' reviews, provided to use by [H]. As far as I can tell, the traffic coming here--to the Video Card forums-- still gets some ad-clicks. Not sure about you, but searching through 100-100o's of threads asking, "Which is better?", is annoying. Maybe that's why this main forum doesn't show threads past 2 pages. It's a bigger strain on the DB than a guide in the forums is to traffic front-page traffic loss.

For you it may be, for the OP, myself and others it's not. Again, it's just a gauge, or guide, not the cold hard facts. So far,it seems he aims to weather the changes from last-gen to current(next)-gen. Past that, I can't say, nor can you.

Partly, yes, but the statements I quoted were more a personal attack than an opinion On-Topic. This quote right here--above-- could easily open your character to a few defamations, but last I read it wasn't forum policy (article (1) ) to make such statements.

The OP did a good thing, you pointed out an err, he corrected it. If you disagree with me, please don't post it here. I would have rather kept this thread to the main topic and not receive an email notification because you think you have a right to attack someones good will.

We, as in, anyone coming to this forum looking for a way to gauge what their options are; before reading 'in-depth' reviews, provided to use by [H]. As far as I can tell, the traffic coming here--to the Video Card forums-- still gets some ad-clicks. Not sure about you, but searching through 100-100o's of threads asking, "Which is better?", is annoying. Maybe that's why this main forum doesn't show threads past 2 pages. It's a bigger strain on the DB than a guide in the forums is to traffic front-page traffic loss.

Most people dont come to forums to gauge what they are going to buy. They shop around to see whats in thier price range then narrow it down to a couple cards THEN they go for the in depth reviews. The reason so many threads pop up asking "which is better" is because they want the in depth reviews and are too lazy to look for them they have already gaged whats out there and have narrowed their choice down. Why do you think 90&#37; of the answers to those threads are links to reviews and comparisons...

For you it may be, for the OP, myself and others it's not. Again, it's just a gauge, or guide, not the cold hard facts. So far,it seems he aims to weather the changes from last-gen to current(next)-gen. Past that, I can't say, nor can you.

Well see i hope he does well with it.

Partly, yes, but the statements I quoted were more a personal attack than an opinion On-Topic. This quote right here--above-- could easily open your character to a few defamations, but last I read it wasn't forum policy (article (1) ) to make such statements.

The OP did a good thing, you pointed out an err, he corrected it. If you disagree with me, please don't post it here. I would have rather kept this thread to the main topic and not receive an email notification because you think you have a right to attack someones good will.

First off are you a mod? No, ok then leave the modding to the mods.

Second my post is very much on topic and blowing what i said out of proportion to make it sound as if im personally attacking the guy is ridiculous if he thinks so then i am sorry i meant no personal offense but i think hes OK defending himself if thats the case and does not need you to save him.

This is not your thread, you do not dictate what i can and cannot post here.

[Snipped...]

"Most people dont come to forums to gauge what they are going to buy."

No, you're right, consumers/people don't generally come to forums. Most people who register to forums do come to them to get a feel for products--prior to purchase-- at one point or another.:rolleyes:

You're right I'm not a mod, But what's funny is, I didn't know only the mods had to know rules, post by the rules, or act accordingly to the rules. They're FORUM rules, which everyone who accepts that registration is bound by; or risk losing those privileges.

I stand firmly by what I said. You made unnecessary and unneeded statements. Whether the OP is bothered or not IS up to him. It doesn't change the lack of courtesy nor the lack of civility you showed.

Seriously, kid, if you have any more to say to me take it to PM's.

My apologies to the OP for any derailment.

"Most people dont come to forums to gauge what they are going to buy."

No, you're right, consumers/people don't generally come to forums. Most people who register to forums do come to them to get a feel for products--prior to purchase-- at one point or another.:rolleyes:

You're right I'm not a mod, But what's funny is, I didn't know only the mods had to know rules, post by the rules, or act accordingly to the rules. They're FORUM rules, which everyone who accepts that registration is bound by; or risk losing those privileges.

I stand firmly by what I said. You made unnecessary and unneeded statements. Whether the OP is bothered or not IS up to him. It doesn't change the lack of courtesy nor the lack of civility you showed.

Seriously, kid, if you have any more to say to me take it to PM's.

My apologies to the OP for any derailment.

Look guy your blowing my post out of proportion. What i said breaks zero rules here so step down from the fucking soapbox. You call me kid while accusing ME of breaking the rules claiming im making personal attacks:rolleyes: .

Unnecessary and unneeded statements are my right to make and they do not break the rules. I was 100% on topic. I stand by what i said if you dont like it this forum has an ignore feature USE IT. Otherwise dont tell me to take it to PM's when your arguing my fucking opinion.

If the mods think i was out of line they are more than welcome to delete my posts and ill eat some humble pie. As for you if you dont like it Ignore my posts or me in general otherwise too bad i didnt make you read what i had to say.

10 July 07: Added: 2400 XT, 2600 Pro, 2600 XT GDDR3/GDDR4 and 2900 XT 1GB. Improvements: Linux and HDCP sections.

Edit
nVidia is doing strong on the "bang for buck list" with five out of seven.

controversy aside, i say sticky.

good guide. to take it as 'the word of the lord' would be proposterous, but i thought everyone read multiple sources before making a decision.

Nice effort. I can tell you put some work into it. But I think some of your comments are very subjective. This caught my eye, since it's the card I own:

X1900 XT 512MB (625/1450) (10.0/46.4) (PCIe) 256-bit D-DLDVI
- 48 pixel processors &#8211; 16 TMUs &#8211; 16 ROPs - 8 vertex processors

The card is substantially (~25%) faster than a X1800 XT 512MB, although it can&#8217;t entirely match a 7900 GTX. The performance is marginally better than a 7800 GTX 512 MB. When more pixel shader intensive games are released an increase in performance is expected.

I don't think it can be definitively stated it doesn't match a 7900GTX. I thought the consensus seems to be it is a little faster than a 7900GTX, not to mention having undoubtedly superior image quality.

The comments about more pixel shader intensive games/increase in performance expected, seems to have come to fruition.

Therefore I believe it's more than "marginally" better than a 7800GTX 512. It's "hand's down" better. Maybe you meant to say 7800GTX 512 is marginally better than an X1800XT. That's the way I see it.

:) Keep up the good work.

Great job with the review. I appreciate the tremondous amount of time that would have gone into this review.
I hope that it is continuously updated.
I vote for a sticky.

I wasn't stating it as a fact, more of an opinion. It looked pretty perfect to ME (this may not be everyone else)

The only this to note was that the comments were based on games out prior to this summer and as they note as new games come online that are heavy into shaders then comments like "performs like a xyz" may no longer be valid depending on the card they are talking about.

Bioshock (and the Unreal 3 engine as well as other shader heavy games) mean that the comments need to be taken in context for while a comment like "the x1950 performs like a 7900" may be true with the older games, with the new shader heavy games this statement is false.

I do think this is an excellent guide and they put alot of work into it.

-JB

7900gs=best bang for the buck

with some vmodding you got a 7900gtx

06in1.jpg

15 September 07: More correctly specified performance of 8800 GTS 320MB and R5X0s which are ALU heavy (e.g. X1900 XT). Added: &#8220;Shader heavy games&#8221; section under R5X0 and some games which require SM3.0 under NV4X&#8217;s SM3.0 section. Updated: &#8220;Bang for Buck&#8221; cards.

29 October 07: Added: X2900 Pro and 8800 GT. Updated: &#8220;Bang for Buck&#8221; cards.

03 December 07: Added: HD 3850, HD 3870, 8800 GTS SSC and 8800 GTS 512MB. Updated: performance of 8800 GTS and 8800 GTX to better reflect the influence of newer games when compared to previous generation and adjusted a bit upwards for HD 2900 GT. Updated: &#8220;Bang for Buck&#8221; cards. Corrected: 8800 GT supports DL-HDCP.

29 January 08: Added: HD 3870 X2. Updated: &#8220;Bang for Buck&#8221;.
21 February: Added: 8800 GS, 9600 GT and HD 3650. Corrected: HD 3870 X2 performance. Updated: &#8220;Bang for Buck&#8221;.

1 April 08: Added: 9800 GTX.
22 June 08: Added: 9800 GTX+, GTX 260, GTX 280 and HD 4850. Updated: &#8220;Bang for Buck&#8221;. New: 7.1 LPCM and CUDA sections.
25 June 08: Added: HD 4870. Updated: &#8220;Bang for Buck&#8221;.
17 August 08: Added: 9500 GT, 9800 GT, 9600 GSO, HD 4870 X2 and HybridPower. Updated: &#8220;Bang for Buck&#8221;.
13 September 08 Added: HD 4670. Updated: &#8220;Bang for Buck&#8221;.

Back