The combat gameplay mechanic is completely played out...

tzhu07

Gawd
It feels like there are very few advances in new gameplay mechanics within the video game industry. The Portal games introduced a completely new system. I also thought World of Goo was quite innovative in the puzzle genre. And...that's all I can think of in recent times.

The most played out of all combat mechanics is the first person shooter. I totally understand when people say "it all feels the same".

What are some games with interesting mechanics? It could just be an oversight on my part.

Sanctum
Tower Defense FPS
EmpiresMod
RTS FPS
Nuclear Dawn
RTS FPS
Orcs Must Die
Tower Defense Action RPG

Just some well done Unique FPS

Have to think about it but I know theres a lot more out there.

I thought you were just listing genres at first. Anyway Tiny & Big - Grandpa's Leftovers is pretty innovative however there isn't any real combat other than dodging or splitting or propelling and whatever giant stones and statues hurled at you.

Dungeon Defenders is another excellent one.

Blends RPG, Tower Defense, Shooter/Melee mechanics. I've actually had more fun with Dungeon Defenders than with Diablo 3 :-P

Triple-A shooters and cover based shooting with regenerating health need to go to hell and die. You basically gotta stick to either the strategy games or indie games to get anything unique.

lack of innovation is really a bitch. Look at the concept game "Receiver" by Wolfire games, seeing the video of that little game excited me in a way I last felt when I first tried out the tech demo for Penumbra

I realize its old but I'm still gonna whore Cryostasis. It should run really well on modern systems. Would crush any videocard older than two years.

Back