The Dell random ultra-low prices lookout thread

InorganicMatter

[H]F Junkie
sir_skippy said:
Just wanted to let everyone know, that this deal WAS NOT A PRICING ERROR . We just got a mailing from Dell at our office, saying that on certain days this month, they are going to randomly discount items on their website to a ridiculously low price. TODAY IS ANOTHER ONE OF THOSE DAYS . So be on the lookout on their website. The mailing said that it could be anything in any category. The only thing that it was certain aboutm was that today another deal would take place. So eveyone, who missed out before, you might be back in the game. Good luck!

So yeah, everyone keep an eye on the site and let us know IMMEDIATELY as soon as you see todays deal.

Somone needs to write a script that wil query dell's most popular product continually and report back any significant drops..

This is worse than Xoxide's Operation X. Looks like the best option is to browse multiple hot deals site in the hope that you will see it in time. Hmm maybe using fatwallets topic alert using the keyword dell?

TheBluePill said:
Somone needs to write a script that wil query dell's most popular product continually and report back any significant drops..
LOL, but i 2nd this.

Yeah, I don't believe that the LCD pricing was intentional. That price was low enough to make them lose money for each one they sold.

b2386 said:
Yeah, I don't believe that the LCD pricing was intentional. That price was low enough to make them lose money for each one they sold.
1 2nd this also.
it was a mistake, a mistake they try to cover by saying they have random sales. ROFL! i bet they won't sell the same monitor for the same price ($169) in 2years!!!

How many sales on Dell's site last 20 minutes and don't involve EPP status and a billion stackable coupons....not to mention the insane size of the discount? I just want to know who's yanking us, Dell or sir_skippy

sir skippy, you sir are a troll!

HUH?

What?

Um, allow me to explain - this site has 65,137 members AS OF TODAY - yet you are the only one who magically got that mailing from Dell?

*cough* bullshit *cough*

b2386 said:
I hope you don't think that's true... dell pays no where near 160 dolars in materials to build one monitor.

You guys have all been had with that "company email" post.

Black Box, if you think the markup from Dell on a $500 monitor is $400, you're f'in insane. Their margins are razor-sharp as it is. If they could sell a quality 20" widescreen LCD for $300 and turn a profit, they'd turn the market on its head.

This might be legit. I was looking around and clicked on this link for the Latitude D620, and just to the left of the laptop 360 degree picture, in the blank area, "$820" popped up in red, bold text. I changed the page thinking nothing of it, and now I can't get it to happen again.

Okay well, here's the deal. I cleared my temp files and cookies and tried again. It came up again, but the link took me to the Employee Pricing Program login page. Something is definetely up here. However, now the price says "$863".

Black Box said:
I hope you don't think that's true... dell pays no where near 160 dolars in materials to build one monitor.

Since when was the cost of a product due solely to materials?

Consider:
1. Engineer salaries (r&d)
2. Manufacturer salaries
3. Machine costs, energy costs to manufacture
4. THEN materials

Development costs are the bulk of a product's expense.

I'm not really sure what to make of this. If you take a look at the Latitude 620 and 820, you see the "$863" in bold red text to the left next to the laptop pictures. If you then look at the exact same laptops under the EEPP section(discounted), they too have bold numbers, but they are $1600+. I can't imagine this is just some fluke.

EEPP Page-

8201bm4.png

Normal Page-

8202xf7.png

Im calling bullshit on this, because dell called ME after I tried to order one of their "super deals" and said sorry, they wont give it to me at that price..

bull....shit.

EnFoRcEr!! said:
Okay well, here's the deal. I cleared my temp files and cookies and tried again. It came up again, but the link took me to the Employee Pricing Program login page. Something is definetely up here. However, now the price says "$863".

Mine says "Educational Pricing Program"...not Employee. At first, I didn't see it. I refreshed the page and the magical red "$863" appeared. :)

I went to the 2010 and it shows the price $3290 instead of $3500.

JuniorMC said:
Mine says "Educational Pricing Program"...not Employee. At first, I didn't see it. I refreshed the page and the magical red "$863" appeared. :)

I went to the 2010 and it shows the price $3290 instead of $3500.

You're correct. Yours is a different discout from mine. However, the 820 that says $863 link is working again, and this one says Educational.

http://www.dell.com/content/segmenter.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=eep&cs=2236

That is the link it took me to, feel free to put in your number and see if it works.

If anybody finds any rediculously hot deals on the 2407 buy one for me too....I'll throw a finder's fee in for you :)

i wonder how long till dell decides to drop the 2007 down in price again :( probably not for a while sigh..

here, play a prank on someone :p

Yeah, those EPP deals (Employer) aren't all that great IMHO. When I configured a computer through EPP it was $400 more than Home/Home Office. And they will not let you use coupons.

Dell breaks even on the 2007fpw monitors at 244.00

They sent me a replacement for my rev. 01 monitor and charged me 244 for it. Of course I kept it and sold it to my roomate for 320.

Morphx2 said:
Dell breaks even on the 2007fpw monitors at 244.00

They sent me a replacement for my rev. 01 monitor and charged me 244 for it. Of course I kept it and sold it to my roomate for 320.

Very ethical.

so you never returned it?

amd ati FO SHO said:
Very ethical.

so you never returned it?
HAHA
i did the exact same, well kinda i just kept both and rock dual monitor now
what ethics?
this is fucking dell

I had a 22' crt go bad on me dell sent me a new one, then an LCD. I kept both. In the end it saved dell money: 80 pounds express is far, far from cheap.

InorganicMatter said:
So yeah, everyone keep an eye on the site and let us know IMMEDIATELY as soon as you see todays deal.

Sounds like you made that up since dell never sent us such email to us. :eek:

d94 said:
HAHA
i did the exact same, well kinda i just kept both and rock dual monitor now
what ethics?
this is fucking dell

Wow, and that makes it right?
What if you worked retail and accidentally gave someone too much change? Wouldn't you want them to give it back so you didn't get in trouble for your register being short?
They might just say "Ah who cares, it's CVS/Stop and Shop/Blockbuster/etc."
Or do ethics only apply when you might have to face up to the consequences?

Konrad said:
Wow, and that makes it right?
What if you worked retail and accidentally gave someone too much change? Wouldn't you want them to give it back so you didn't get in trouble for your register being short?
They might just say "Ah who cares, it's CVS/Stop and Shop/Blockbuster/etc."
Or do ethics only apply when you might have to face up to the consequences?
i guess what he tries to imply is this:
if you steal $5.00 from a multimillion company= that's o.k.
if you steal $0.50 from a beggar= it's wrong
they are both stealing and if we look at it black and white= it is definetly WRONG, but for him the offense of both action is not of the same in weight. some people draw lines, some flirt in the gray area.;)

Back