The Dell random ultra-low prices lookout thread

Konrad said:
Wow, and that makes it right?
What if you worked retail and accidentally gave someone too much change? Wouldn't you want them to give it back so you didn't get in trouble for your register being short?
They might just say "Ah who cares, it's CVS/Stop and Shop/Blockbuster/etc."
Or do ethics only apply when you might have to face up to the consequences?

How is it unethical to take advantage of a published price? If their QAQC system fails enough to let something go out for a third of its usually marked price, then they deserve to take what losses are incurred. Let's put it this way: if you saw a really cheap TV at BB, you would buy it, right? It would never occur that you might need to return the item because it was at an accidentally low price. Get off your soap box, please.

Dell does it on purpose, lets just be realistic here, its free advertisement, they would rather put something up for 15 minutes at half price then spend ten of thousands of dollars more to advertise it on TV/Radio and so on. This thing is called the word of mouth and can easily draw thousands of people to hit their website in a matter of seconds. So far the number of people who viewed this thread is 3,356 so just imagine how many visitors they had the past 24 hours because of it. There are other forums discussing the same topic so give Dell a big Thank you for its success.
PS: If you still think that's a price mistake then ..huh ..huh .snap out of it.
;)

^ That is just a retarded statement. Dell is a worldwide, multi-billion dollar company. Why would they need to put items up on their site for 1/3 of the original price? They dont, it was a pricing error. The reason they did not cancel our orders on the 2007WFP? I have no clue, maybe the sales manager at the time felt like being nice? Unless someone that works at Dell chimes in, we will never know.

Dell does not need free advertising, they have commercials, magazine adds, billboards, Kiosks in malls, they dont need word of mouth advertising from a couple hundred internet forums junkies(Thats me :D) talking about a sweet deal they saw on the site.

Dell will have more pricing errors in the future as no company is perfect. Just a matter if they honor those errors.

rysher said:
i guess what he tries to imply is this:
if you steal $5.00 from a multimillion company= that's o.k.
if you steal $0.50 from a beggar= it's wrong
they are both stealing and if we look at it black and white= it is definetly WRONG, but for him the offense of both action is not of the same in weight. some people draw lines, some flirt in the gray area.;)

Haha, I am not stealing anything. THEY charged me 244 for a monitor. So if I keep it, who is that stealing?? I am still paying 244 for it..yeesh.

Morphx2 said:
Haha, I am not stealing anything. THEY charged me 244 for a monitor. So if I keep it, who is that stealing?? I am still paying 244 for it..yeesh.

And let's not forget you probably didn't even authorize the $244.00 charge to begin with. It's not stealing IMO.

From Dell's Online Policies:
When you contact us, we will require a valid credit card number at the time you request a replacement part, but we will not charge you for the replacement part as long as you return the original part to us within 30 days after we ship the replacement part to you. If we do not receive the original part within 30 days, we will charge to your credit card the then-current standard price for that part.

It's outlined in the contract that they have the right to charge you if you don't return the part. If that clause weren't present, then yes, it would be stealing. It's likely that Dell put the clause in because it was easier to just charge people who don't fulfill their part of the bargain and move on than to waste legal resources prosecuting people who would otherwise be thieves - flies with a baseball bat, and all that.

Since the terms are laid out as such, it is possible to look at it as an exchange policy, with an option to purchase at a price arbitrarily set by Dell (whatever they feel the "then-current standard price for that part" is). Morphx2 is lucky that they charged him a low amount, and not the price for a new part, or more.

So is it unethical? Perhaps, but it's not illegal, because of the terms of the contract.

Can this topic get back on track now, please?

decent deal on a e1405 found it at slickdeals. $604
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?CS=19&kc=07769&oc=D80711F
Specs:

Intel® Core™ Proc Duo T2300E (1.66GHz/667MHz/2 X 1MB L2 Cache)
Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005
14.1 inch Wide Screen XGA Display
1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz, 2 Dimm
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950
100GB Sata Hard Drive
Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
Integrated Audio
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 Internal Wireless
53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr Mail-In Service, and 1Yr HW Warranty Support
Free SKIN Promotion 14 - Free Promotion for 14 inch Skin

Josiah said:
decent deal on a e1405 found it at slickdeals. $604
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?CS=19&kc=07769&oc=D80711F
Specs:

Intel® Core™ Proc Duo T2300E (1.66GHz/667MHz/2 X 1MB L2 Cache)
Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005
14.1 inch Wide Screen XGA Display
1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz, 2 Dimm
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950
100GB Sata Hard Drive
Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
Integrated Audio
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 Internal Wireless
53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr Mail-In Service, and 1Yr HW Warranty Support
Free SKIN Promotion 14 - Free Promotion for 14 inch Skin

That's a decent price i guess but not all that hot IMO. I grabbed a few E1505's the other day for $700-$750 shipped with the 35% coupon + 5% coupon + 2% DPA and i had it configured with the those components plus a T2400 and an ATI X1400 256MB.

burningrave101 said:
That's a decent price i guess but not all that hot IMO. I grabbed a few E1505's the other day for $700-$750 shipped with the 35% coupon + 5% coupon + 2% DPA and i had it configured with the those components plus a T2400 and an ATI X1400 256MB.

Wow, where did the 5% coupon come from? and does anyone have a 35% coupon they don't need?

Back