The ESA Releases Game Player Data

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Entertainment Software Association put out a report today chock full of interesting gaming facts today. Here are the highlights of what is contained in the .PDF:

• The average gamer is 30 years old and has been playing for 13 years. Sixty-eight percent of gamers are 18 or older.
  • Forty-five percent of all players are women. Today, adult women represent a greater portion of the game-playing population (31 percent) than boys age 17 or younger (19 percent).
  • Sixty-two percent of gamers play games with others, either in-person or online. Seventy-seven percent of these gamers play with others at least one hour per week.
  • Thirty-two percent of gamers play social games.
  • Gamers play on-the-go: 36 percent play games on their smartphone, and 25 percent play on their wireless device.
  • Ninety-three percent of parents pay attention to the content of the games their children play, and are present when games are purchased or rented 89 percent of the time.
  • Eighty-eight percent of parents feel the Entertainment Software Rating Board rating system is helpful in choosing games for their children. Eighty-six percent of parents believe that the parental controls available on all new video game consoles are useful.
  • Fifty-two percent of parents say video games are a positive part of their child’s life. Seventy-one percent of parents believe that game play provides mental stimulation or education, 59 percent believe games encourage their family to spend to time together, and 62 percent believe that game play helps their children connect with their friends.

30 years old and has only played for 13 years? Back in my day, we started playing video games around age two.

Where is the statistic where 100% of gamers are going to become MURDERERS due to evil game brainwashing?

45% of all players are women.
32% of gamers play social games.

So in other words:
Of the 45% of gamers that are female, 70% are playing social games.

45% of all players are women.
32% of gamers play social games.

So in other words:
Of the 45% of gamers that are female, 70% are playing social games.

Pretty large money pool to draw from still. :)

They need gamers to do develop these studies. In the category for types of games played they grouped them like this.

Types of online games played.

Other - 8%
Persistent Multi-player universe - 14%
Casual, Social Games - 19%
Action, Sports, Strategy, Role-Playing - 26%
Puzzle, boardgames, game show, trivia, card games - 34%

who in there right mind would categorize it like this.

also I like the top 20 selling computer games for 2012.....at #15 Diablo Battle Chest...beat Battlefield 3

Forty-five percent of all players are women. Today, adult women represent a greater portion of the game-playing population (31 percent) than boys age 17 or younger (19 percent).

Pretty sure if you eliminate bullshit like Farmville and other garbage that aren't games, then that percentage falls below 10%. Sorry but calling someone who only plays crap like that a gamer is insulting. Those are nothing more than timewaster's and the people playing them aren't gamer's.

Pretty sure if you eliminate bullshit like Farmville and other garbage that aren't games, then that percentage falls below 10%. Sorry but calling someone who only plays crap like that a gamer is insulting. Those are nothing more than timewaster's and the people playing them aren't gamer's.

Oh, poo. Those are definitely games. That would be like me saying Monopoly isn't a game because I PLAY FUCKING PATHFINDER.

just comfirms that the player base for AAA dude bro games aren't 50%+ women, like we keep hearing in the news for the past 2 years. shocking!!

They need gamers to do develop these studies. In the category for types of games played they grouped them like this.

Types of online games played.

Other - 8%
Persistent Multi-player universe - 14%
Casual, Social Games - 19%
Action, Sports, Strategy, Role-Playing - 26%
Puzzle, boardgames, game show, trivia, card games - 34%

who in there right mind would categorize it like this.

also I like the top 20 selling computer games for 2012.....at #15 Diablo Battle Chest...beat Battlefield 3

Given ESA's mission, it's not in their interest to break down the games in categories or ignore the casual games or casual gamers.

The Entertainment Software Association (ESA) is the U.S. association exclusively dedicated to serving the business and public affairs needs of companies that publish computer and video games for video game consoles, personal computers, and the Internet.

They're trying to present gaming in an attractive way. The larger the numbers, the better it looks

farmville.. get with the times.. its candy crush saga now bro.. AAA titles ahoy!

games should be classified as anything where you make other things die or maybe you can include games where you travel at >200kmph.

farmville.. get with the times.. its candy crush saga now bro.. AAA titles ahoy!

This. If I had a dollar for every annoying chick I know that doesn't bring this game up twice a day.

I dont think people who just play social games and/or on the go games should be considered a gamer...

This. If I had a dollar for every annoying chick I know that doesn't bring this game up twice a day.

Candy Crush is actually a difficult and fun game, but the whole having to use Facebook to play it thing is annoying. Have you tried playing it though? I bet you might like it.

Anyhow, gamers are people that play games so that pretty much qualifies Candy Crush, Farmville, and anything else that mega-nerds with a penchant for being wannabe Army guys with fashionable and super kewl clothes that make you more buff would like to consider not a game. None of those expensive games comes close to outselling Angry Birds.

Some interesting numbers although not very useful since they use such a wide game of what a "gamer" is.

I'm all for increasing the number of gamers, but lumping those playing a couple hours of Candy Crush a week with those who play 40+ hours of Eve Online, Battlefield 3 or other PC and/or console games sort of dilutes the term.

Candy Crush is actually a difficult and fun game, but the whole having to use Facebook to play it thing is annoying. Have you tried playing it though? I bet you might like it.

Haven't tried playing, no. I'm straight.

Haven't tried playing, no. I'm straight.

What does a game have to do with your sexual orientation? Girls that play COD don't run around saying, "I play COD because I'm a lesbian." Men are so insecure sometimes. :(

I wonder what those statistics would look like if they didn't count people spamming Facebook with game ads or playing Angry Birds for an hour a week as "gamers".

I wonder what those statistics would look like if they didn't count people spamming Facebook with game ads or playing Angry Birds for an hour a week as "gamers".

Why quibble ... I suspect if you look at the people spending 20 or more hours a week gaming you are going to see they have many social gamers, some mobile gamers, and some hardcore gamers (including the MMO types). The l33t gamers know who they are ... enjoy your games ... let others enjoy theirs ... sometimes these lower end games do bring more people into the fold since they act as kind of a gateway drug to harder core gaming ;)

I dont think people who just play social games and/or on the go games should be considered a gamer...

why? I mean I could see not calling them hard core gamers, but just because a game doesn't have guns doesn't make it not a game. the reality is that we all play games most everyone is a gamer no need to exclude people. now is everyone a "hardcore" or competitive gamer no and that's OK. not everyone that is a driver is a nascar driver but we are all drivers for the most part.

Pong was a very simple, casual game back in the day (even multiplayer). I would think those would be considered gamers. Super Mario Bros makes you a gamer, but Tetris doesn't. I'm not following the logic. Gamer = one that plays games. Maybe break it down:

Casual gamer - Puzzle, Facebook style games.
Gamer - MMO's
Hardcore Gamer - RPG's, FPS's, Platformers...

Thats awesome!

I know right. 10+ years later and Diablo 2 is still making it into the top 20.

One thing video games companies like is money...Hopefully someone took note that good games sell for years after their release date....well Amazing games sell years after anyways.

In terms of the categories I'd never Lump action, sports, and RPG's into 1 bucket. Its highly likely for someone to only like 1 of those types of games. I pretty much only like RPG's and I hate sports games BF3's and L4D's get my play time but no other FPS.

They should have done platform and then drilled down by type of game.

Mobile/web, Console, PC, handheld.

All this proves is we need to clamp down hard on those violent video games right now!

You can see that the children (won't someone please think of them!) are obviously circumventing the existing rules by getting older!

Given enough time, seems those kids can get around anything, their deviousness knows no bounds!

It is a note that all of these figures apply only to ESA members, not the industry as a whole.

345 GAMES

505 GAMES

CAPCOM USA, INC.

DEEP SILVER INC.

DENA

DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS, INC.

ELECTRONIC ARTS

EPIC GAMES, INC.

GLOOPS INTERNATIONAL, INC.

GREE INTERNATIONAL, INC.

KONAMI DIGITAL ENTERTAINMENT AMERICA

LEVEL-5 INC.

LITTLE ORBIT

MAD CATZ INTERACTIVE, INC.

MICROSOFT CORPORATION

NAMCO BANDAI GAMES AMERICA INC.

NATSUME INC.

NETDRAGON WEBSOFT INC.

NEXON AMERICA INC.

NINTENDO OF AMERICA INC.

NVIDIA CORPORATION

PERFECT WORLD ENTERTAINMENT

RUBICON ORGANIZATION

SEGA OF AMERICA, INC.

SLANG

SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT AMERICA

SONY ONLINE ENTERTAINMENT, INC.

SQUARE ENIX, INC.

TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE SOFTWARE, INC.

TECMO KOEI AMERICA CORPORATION

TRION WORLDS, INC.

UBISOFT ENTERTAINMENT, INC.

WARGAMING

WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT INC.

XSEED GAMES

I'd think any preteen in the 80's would have been playing games on and off to present day. 17 seems unrealistic. I think I went through a period around 17 when I put down the controller because I became preoccupied with something else. I should'a just kept the controller in my hand.

When I threw in Pitfall! into my older sister's Atari because the cover looked interesting, I was hooked. Then worked my way through the small collection of cartridges until Nintendo arrived. Aside from my first desktop I'd say the NES was the most impressed I've ever been with technology. After you have that first high, all you do is chase it... Something better, faster, stronger... All the females in my family (which there are many) purchased all the next gen consoles after NES, so there wasn't a line drawn between the sexes in my little world. Although, that's around the time marketing easybake ovens was starting to slow and girls weren't as pressured to fit the Stepford Wives mold of generations past. The females, after a certain age, just didn't seem as compelled to play violent games. I remember Zelda and Shadowgate type games being more popular amongst them. To this day as these females have become older still prefer more puzzle and "figger it out" type games. While I still like to shoot enemies and get the occasional stealthy melee kill. ...but all in my circle are known to breakout a digital variant of Monopoly from time to time as well. Which sort'a sucks because you can't pilfer a c-note or bend the rules like you can with the board game, but that's neither here nor there.

While this is long winded and basically a nostalgia piece almost topically bankrupt, I'm going to criticize those of you that haphazardly accuse anyone playing non-shooters as non-gamers. If you only play shooters or games with some sort of weapon or magical spell, then maybe YOU aren't a GAMER and shouldn't be labeled as such. A true gameur doesn't confine him/herself to one genre but lovingly traverses many or all types of gaming. Instead, what you are is a poser. ...And... probably that loudmouthed little fucker in the lobby with shit music raging in the background and mumbling through your mic incoherently you imbecilic piece of shit.

*MUTE

But, yeah. Gaming should be enjoyed by all. And I'm glad to see more females in the stats.

^ Stereotype that isn't at all true.

You should say 'This Stereotype that isn't always true'.......Because if we took away the casual games we'd see a massive shift if gender disparity....I don't think even you can argue that.

If you did a gender check for Candy Crush and Battlefield 3 the Stereotype would hold up......If I had to guess I'd say M-30 / F-70 for candy Crush and M-90 / F-10 for BF3.

Stereotypes usually don't create themselves.

You should say 'This Stereotype that isn't always true'.......Because if we took away the casual games we'd see a massive shift if gender disparity....I don't think even you can argue that.

If you did a gender check for Candy Crush and Battlefield 3 the Stereotype would hold up......If I had to guess I'd say M-30 / F-70 for candy Crush and M-90 / F-10 for BF3.

Stereotypes usually don't create themselves.

Whatever. I've seen actual guys on Hello Kitty Online back when it was more popular.

Even you're supporting me saying the 99% thing isn't true by making up a different percentage. How can you argue that it's not true if you're using gender numbers that support me. :confused:

Whatever. I've seen actual guys on Hello Kitty Online back when it was more popular.

Even you're supporting me saying the 99% thing isn't true by making up a different percentage. How can you argue that it's not true if you're using gender numbers that support me. :confused:

no they don't support you. They also don't support the 99% dude either he was likely just exaggerating. But they do support the stereotype that girls mostly play casual games. Guys will play pretty much anything casual or not.

many stereotype's are supported with relevant facts to support the stereotype...this is one of those times.....Kind of like how women read WAY more books then men...probably because it easy to put that casual game down and do something else.

It is a note that all of these figures apply only to ESA members, not the industry as a whole.

345 GAMES

505 GAMES

CAPCOM USA, INC.

DEEP SILVER INC.

DENA

DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS, INC.

ELECTRONIC ARTS

EPIC GAMES, INC.

GLOOPS INTERNATIONAL, INC.

GREE INTERNATIONAL, INC.

KONAMI DIGITAL ENTERTAINMENT AMERICA

LEVEL-5 INC.

LITTLE ORBIT

MAD CATZ INTERACTIVE, INC.

MICROSOFT CORPORATION

NAMCO BANDAI GAMES AMERICA INC.

NATSUME INC.

NETDRAGON WEBSOFT INC.

NEXON AMERICA INC.

NINTENDO OF AMERICA INC.

NVIDIA CORPORATION

PERFECT WORLD ENTERTAINMENT

RUBICON ORGANIZATION

SEGA OF AMERICA, INC.

SLANG

SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT AMERICA

SONY ONLINE ENTERTAINMENT, INC.

SQUARE ENIX, INC.

TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE SOFTWARE, INC.

TECMO KOEI AMERICA CORPORATION

TRION WORLDS, INC.

UBISOFT ENTERTAINMENT, INC.

WARGAMING

WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT INC.

XSEED GAMES

As the saying goes , your results are only as good as your data set.

Casual gamer - Puzzle, Facebook style games.
Gamer - MMO's
Hardcore Gamer - RPG's, FPS's, Platformers...

Maybe I haven't been exposed to enough First Person Shooter fans, but many of the guild members I played with on WoW were crazy involved. Admittingly even my wife and me. Spending 8-12 hours a day in game was not uncommon for many people (including us) in the guilds we were in.

It's sad to some extent, but to another extent I miss having that kind of free time. And only 2 or 3 ever hinted or admitted to being under the age of 18, most were in the 20's and 30's.

We can dismiss mobile games all we want but they are still big business and will probably get bigger over time ... according to this data ( http://blog.appannie.com/app-annie-index-market-q2-2013/ ) games account for about 40% of the downloads in both the App Store (iOS) and GooglePlay (Android) ... they also account for around 75% of the revenue for the App Store and over 80% of the revenue for Google Play ... sometimes it is nice to have games that you can play for minutes at a time (rather than hours) and there are definitely gems in both stores with games that rival their PC or Console brothers in terms of depth, complexity, and difficulty (not many, but definitely some) ;)

no they don't support you. They also don't support the 99% dude either he was likely just exaggerating. But they do support the stereotype that girls mostly play casual games. Guys will play pretty much anything casual or not.

many stereotype's are supported with relevant facts to support the stereotype...this is one of those times.....Kind of like how women read WAY more books then men...probably because it easy to put that casual game down and do something else.

Women read more books because men have ADD or are illiterate for the most part.

Back