The future of cooling?

valkyre

Limp Gawd
Something that's been bugging me for a while now is how current technology is cooled. Computers and other such (relatively) low-heat emitters are usually cooled with fans and heatsinks. Cars emit much more heat than computers and they are cooled with water cooling. But both methods still have the product running very hot. Touching a CPU bare would burn you, and so would touching the insides of a car while it was on.

There are speciality cooling methods such as phase change cooling, however these methods are extremely expensive, and in no way can be used in everyday products without jacking the price up a couple hundred, or even thousand dollars.

So what is the future of cooling methods? Has anyone heard of a viable alternative that gets things ice cold, without costing an arm and a leg?

I read about a new phosphorus based heat conducter a while back. Something to replace silicon and its supposed to have had a much larger heat capacity.

I read sumthing like that.... and it was like a glass sumthing... They made a 8 mhz pRos. out of it... lol yeah 8mhz... so its still FAR off.

Well as the manufacturing process advance takes place there will be smaller and smaller circuites, the bad part about these is that they can't take as much voltage as the "bigger transistors" (see Winchester and Northwood, Winchster runs cooler clock per clock but can't take that much voltage as his older brother)

I was wondering about this myself. When you see Dell, Alienware, and other major manufactures still using fan based cooling, you have to think that eventually they'll have to change to something to cool the systems down.

I think Alienware sells a water cooled system but, its not like they're trying to set a trend with it. I just can't see the big manufactures selling water cooled systems to the average consumer.

PvP-ForLife said:
Well as the manufacturing process advance takes place there will be smaller and smaller circuites, the bad part about these is that they can't take as much voltage as the "bigger transistors" (see Winchester and Northwood, Winchster runs cooler clock per clock but can't take that much voltage as his older brother)

Not using as much voltage is a good thing, not a bad one. Lower power consumption, lower heat, and smaller size go hand in hand as the process gets smaller.

Well:
It will be either water cooling, or air cooling with a difference.
Intel is looking into water cooling (esp. for dual core chips, as they emit 135w heat)
AMD however has patented a peltier and cooling setup however.....

I would not think that there would be any big changes till 2006/7 though
f

Peltier, and HeatPipe will become mainstream LONG before watercooling will. Water will always have the potential of leaks. Requires relatively high maintenance when compared to air. Good HSF's with pelts/heatpipes will be the next logical step.

Compare OEM hsf's to a thermalright heatpipe monster... They have a long way to go before water is needed.

I was thinking that as chips get hotter we might see watercooling in the chip die, or heat pipes built into the die. That is of course assuming no major paradigm shift in the material processors are made of.

if there was, it would be everywhere.

valkyre said:
So what is the future of cooling methods? Has anyone heard of a viable alternative that gets things ice cold, without costing an arm and a leg?

vox87 said:
I was wondering about this myself. When you see Dell, Alienware, and other major manufactures still using fan based cooling, you have to think that eventually they'll have to change to something to cool the systems down.

I think Alienware sells a water cooled system but, its not like they're trying to set a trend with it. I just can't see the big manufactures selling water cooled systems to the average consumer.

Probably off topic, but if you look at the Alienware cooling setup, it's really a Koolance case with the Alienware bezels on it, if nothing else look at the waterblock, and compare it to the newer Koolance waterblocks.

If you look, Voodoo PC has a watercooled setup also, they are using a Swiftech setup in their cases. I think they even say they do, on Swiftech's site they mention that Voodoo PC is using their parts anyway.

Back