THE GTA IV Vehicle Experience

Mindoculus

Limp Gawd
Positives:

- Larger variety of rides
- Improved physics and handling for cars
- Like the way they unveil or hide some of the exotic rides
- I've discovered one gorgeous vehicle that isn't even mentioned on most GTA IV car lists.

Sucks:

- Sport bike handling is tragically worse than previous versions of the game.
- NO Customization
- Poor traction is one thing but the way some of these car ends whip around on turns is
a little ridiculous.

Also:

- What is the garage for on the northernmost island? and how do you access it ?
- Where is the FIB Buffalo ? ? ?

I really have to disagree with "improved handling."

Maybe its because I'm still only on the second island but the handling doesn't compare to SA in any way. Hand braking is horrible, the caddys and lincolns handle horribly. GTA was built on taking a 90 turn at 100 with the hand brake, good luck with this game.

Thats actually my biggest gripe, I haven't gotten far enough to know about the strange plot points but car handling feels atrocious to me.

I wouldn't say the handling is improved, but it's slightly more realistic. Caddies and Lincolns should control like they do. They're big ass cars that aren't exactly designed for stunt driving.
Pretty much everything comes down to the physics engine, which handles everything in the game.

Also:

- What is the garage for on the northernmost island? and how do you access it ?
- Where is the FIB Buffalo ? ? ?

If I remember right you take the cars you are asked to steal via text message (I think stevie is the guy who ask for them) to that garage to get your reward.

Im not sure if there are any just driving around, but if you get your wanted level up high enough they come after you and you can steal one then.

If I remember right you take the cars you are asked to steal via text message (I think stevie is the guy who ask for them) to that garage to get your reward.

And later you can sell cars to him.

What I dislike about the vehicles:

Transmission - taking off from a dead stop:
Why is it that when I'm flooring it the car is going slow as crap and takes forever to get into the next gear? It's like it's stuck in 1st, it's exactly like a car with a terribly sluggish automatic tranny. The wheels aren't spinning because there are no marks, the tranny just refuses to shift or it's like the tranny is slipping. This even happens in the sports cars.

Sports bikes:
Is it just me or do the cruiser-style bikes handle better than the sport bikes?

Physics:
I think their physics are very simple because I can flip low-lying, light-weight sports car by hitting a paper clip in the road but getting a heavy SUV to flip is much more difficult. It's like they told the game engine, "if it's light it can be tossed easily, if it's heavy it remains in place" without regard to the vehicle's center of gravity.

I'm not too upset about it since GTA isn't exactly a racing simulator but I think if they could at least rip off the physics from the Need for Speed Underground - Carbon series then the handling might be better.

I agree to a point. You have to get used to the way the cars handle. I'm a little disappointed that I can no longer drift, or not with ease. The sport bikes also handle more poorly than I would've hoped.

I've never tried to "floor" a normal car nor would I think it would just leap off to a racing start.

In most case I think the game's more realistic than people are giving it credit fro EXCEPT the Hummer and Pick-ups can pretty much completely run-over anything. That's a bit much. In real life, if you floor a typical car, it won't take off any faster than one in GTA. Supercars can, but they usually aren't THAT fast off of a dead stop, especially after someone hotwired them. Maybe Niko isn't that good of a driver and the game is compensating ;)
Anyway, getting a real car to drift isn't as easy as it sounds anyway. I'd say the game's more realistic than any of the more recent NFS games. Good luck hitting a wall at 75 mph and just bounce off going the same speed and in the right direction.

Possible spoiler below:

What I thought was really lame was when I kidnapped the Ancelotti girl and I had to be doing 15MPH trying to keep her from running me off the road and that stupid car just rode right up on the center divider on the bridge and flipped over, it was extremely effortless and like I said I was going SLOW! That was some bullshit.

Most normal cars can accelerate pretty well but most people don't know how to really drive a car; they just get in, put it in D and let it pull them along.

I thought that the physics of driving were rather realistic (for a action game). I enjoyed them whole heartedly. Fun, without being unforgiving.

GTA IV was a very great game and I've enjoyed playing a title that functions holistically; the title insures one of the most immersive experiences to date. But I'm not entirely convinced that realism is the proper and necessary direction for the series. The arcade style games were great in their own right. I don't know why most current generation games have to lean towards the concept of realism? That ideology, in my opinion, doesn't always make the best games.

It certainly added to the immersion, did it not? Immersion to me = good game design. Like a good movie, with absurd concepts. If done properly, over the top ideas can seem and feel quite plausible in real life. GTA IV pulls it off quite well.

I just find it funny that a taxi can push its way underneath your dumptruck loaded with gravel. Weights for the heavier vehicles is way off.

Customization....why? That shouldn't even really be a factor. That is for NFS games...GTA, you spend as much time on foot as you do in cars usually, so customization isn't needed, especially with all the cool cars..it might be nice, but not a necessity or a con......although, it might have been gimped because of the 360 version.

Improved handling? Doing a handbrake turn in a hummer going 40mph SHOULD NOT SPIN YOU OUT.
Of course, also, a meager freeway should not be able to outrun PCJ on a straightaway. Unless of course it's a chase mission :rolleyes:

A car with shot-out tires riding on rims shouldn't be able to speed or corner like a mag-lev train. Haven't these guys ever seen Cops?

One thing, not necessarily having to do with cars, is fences... sometimes, I can drive into a fence and knock it over and proceed through.
Other times, especially if I'm chasing / being chased and need a shortcut, I will PLOW INTO THE FENCE and faceplant it. Sometimes I will die. wtf is that?

Improved handling? Doing a handbrake turn in a hummer going 40mph SHOULD NOT SPIN YOU OUT.
Of course, also, a meager freeway should not be able to outrun PCJ on a straightaway. Unless of course it's a chase mission :rolleyes:

A car with shot-out tires riding on rims shouldn't be able to speed or corner like a mag-lev train. Haven't these guys ever seen Cops?

One thing, not necessarily having to do with cars, is fences... sometimes, I can drive into a fence and knock it over and proceed through.
Other times, especially if I'm chasing / being chased and need a shortcut, I will PLOW INTO THE FENCE and faceplant it. Sometimes I will die. wtf is that?

I dunno about you. But if I was driving an H2 I wouldn't try to pull the ebrake and make a sharp turn.

As slightly unrealistic as the car damage might be, I like it the way it is, it makes it kinda fun. I have noticed that the car will die on you if it's too beat up. I think that's a neat feature.

Lets keep in mind that it is still a game and the lack of certain realisms keeps it fun.

maybe because im just better at video games or put more time into this one...but im a way better driver in gta4, than i was in the previous versions

i dont know why people dont like this game..ive always loved the gta series...but i have never put as much time into any of them like i have this one....i always just did the main story, and when i beat it was bored....this one...im doing all the side missions aswell as the story and am having a blast..its the best single player game ive ever played...right next to COD4 for PC

maybe because im just better at video games or put more time into this one...but im a way better driver in gta4, than i was in the previous versions

i dont know why people dont like this game..ive always loved the gta series...but i have never put as much time into any of them like i have this one....i always just did the main story, and when i beat it was bored....this one...im doing all the side missions aswell as the story and am having a blast..its the best single player game ive ever played...right next to COD4 for PC

Agreed on the greatest game ever, or at least right now. Constantly amazed.

Is there a way to keep the cars that you got? Like in the old GTA Games where you can put the cars in the garage than save the game?

game was good i beat it the other night , i miss riding on bikes like in san andreas , I could haull ass in that game , now the bikes suck in part 4 , you have to be in a sports cars to get really moving. oh yeah the helicopters suck too , they needed more ariel vehicles , like in san andreas , why no hanggliding missions off the top of a building that would have been fun.

Is there a way to keep the cars that you got? Like in the old GTA Games where you can put the cars in the garage than save the game?

There should be parking in front of the safehouses. The first one I couldn't figure out for some reason. But the one in Bohen (I think) and Algonquin have yellow outlined parking spots in front. I think it's 2 max on those spots.

OK...as someone who is interested in cars, and driving them...and has a little bit of auto-x experience as well as will soon start to do track days, yes, 40 mph e-brake turns have the potential to spin you out. I've been messing with handbrake turns with my Miata (my auto-x/track car) lately and it seems as if 30 mph is the sweet spot for a 180* handbrake u-turn in it. I tried doing it at 40 mph...needless to say, there was some pucker factor.

There should be parking in front of the safehouses. The first one I couldn't figure out for some reason. But the one in Bohen (I think) and Algonquin have yellow outlined parking spots in front. I think it's 2 max on those spots.

Thank you so much! Had no idea if it was possible.

Easiest way to always have a good supply of fast cars is to park two good ones at your safehouse up by the garage on the northeast island. Then just pick one, drive it around the block a couple times and watch what is parked on the side of the road. Usually more of what you're driving will showup on the side of the road around you. This seems to work best at this location. Once you see a couple parked in close proximity park at your home again, run over and rob it, and go about your business. That way you're not trashing the good one you have parked to save.

The other alternative is just robbing a good car from the car dealership around the corner from your safehouse on the center island. That's a guaranteed good spot to rob a fast car for a mission. Just get a crappy car, ram the window to break it, and then run upstairs, hop in a car, and floor it. Cops will chase but they're easily evaded.

I really dislike the driving in this game. It seems like I'm fighting the car the whole time I'm driving it.

I've found that its a lot easier to drive from the first-person viewpoint as opposed to third-person. If I'm driving in third-person I tend to over-steer and misjudge turns. Maybe its just because thats how I'm used to driving in GTA.

imo i like the handling and physics of the cars, yeah its not the uber realistic handling but its still fun to powerslide around the corners controllably.

my biggest question.....the front of a 98 240SX kouki mated to the back of what looks like a 4 door mercedes......WHY!?!?!?!?

I can deal with the wanky handling, but the chase camera has me considering tracking down whomever designed the car system so I can gut their family.

I can deal with the wanky handling, but the chase camera has me considering tracking down whomever designed the car system so I can gut their family.

What chase camera?

Wanted to add this: Anyone have a favorite car?
I think I'm like 30-35% through and I'd say the bmw remake, the Sentinel.

Also am I the only one who thinks the cars are WAY to loud when the SFX volume is up? I wish there were more divided audio options.

What chase camera?

Wanted to add this: Anyone have a favorite car?
I think I'm like 30-35% through and I'd say the bmw remake, the Sentinel.

Also am I the only one who thinks the cars are WAY to loud when the SFX volume is up? I wish there were more divided audio options.

Look for the Sentinel XS, a gorgeous suped-up version of the Sentinel. there is
a mafia-version that comes in white and i believe only becomes available through
a mission.

the same goes for the Super GT (Jaguar XKS clone) and the Infernus - only
by successfully completing certain missions.

Have you found the Sultan GT ? Northern tip of central island.

Can you get the car with the exhaust that looks like a jet engine outside of the time the gay guy gives it to you after the last mission with him? Lost mine somewhere along the way and was looking for another one but can't find one.

Can you get the car with the exhaust that looks like a jet engine outside of the time the gay guy gives it to you after the last mission with him? Lost mine somewhere along the way and was looking for another one but can't find one.

Its going to be tough to get another one, but not impossible. When I had the Infernus from the mission reward, I drove around my safehouse until another one showed up and stole it. You will have to keep your eyes open and steal it. It is an awsome ride.

i prefer the comet over the infernus, seems to handle better and is faster. When riding in the comet very fast everything blurs yet in the infernus it never blurs.

i prefer the comet over the infernus, seems to handle better and is faster. When riding in the comet very fast everything blurs yet in the infernus it never blurs.

The comet does turn better, I just love the backfire the infernus makes and its rare:)

Look for the Sentinel XS, a gorgeous suped-up version of the Sentinel. there is
a mafia-version that comes in white and i believe only becomes available through
a mission.

the same goes for the Super GT (Jaguar XKS clone) and the Infernus - only
by successfully completing certain missions.

Have you found the Sultan GT ? Northern tip of central island.

Any idea where to look for the Sultan GT? I tried to cruise around the northern part but gave up.

I just got the Comet last night, thing moves after like 2 seconds. I was suprisingly shocked.

Is the Sultan GT the sedan that looks like an Evo 9/10 put together? I found one long ago driving by my crappy safehouse that the mobsters gave to me. Even when I get in the car I rarely see reproductions of it for some reason; I've only seen one copy while I was driving. Also, when I was screwing with the police they jumped in and tried to steal it from my safehouse, heh.

Possible spoiler below:

What I thought was really lame was when I kidnapped the Ancelotti girl and I had to be doing 15MPH trying to keep her from running me off the road and that stupid car just rode right up on the center divider on the bridge and flipped over, it was extremely effortless and like I said I was going SLOW! That was some bullshit..
I agree but all you had to do was knock her out and the rest is a quiet ride to the safe house.

The motorcycles in GTA have always been silly but they are complete waste in this game. I groaned every time one of those missions came up.

My only complaint is the acceleration from stop that has been mentioned prior. As for the traction on corners I figured that was just give the game a more Hollywood action movie feel.

Is the Sultan GT the sedan that looks like an Evo 9/10 put together? I found one long ago driving by my crappy safehouse that the mobsters gave to me. Even when I get in the car I rarely see reproductions of it for some reason; I've only seen one copy while I was driving. Also, when I was screwing with the police they jumped in and tried to steal it from my safehouse, heh.

Sultan RS, not GT. I see it as a generic tuner car. Has the STi-like hood scoop, wing's more like an Evo, lame BOV sounds like a SRT-4, 2 doors like any number of popular tuner cars, etc.

Back