The [H]ardForum Perpetual Freebies Thread

Anyone have an AM3+ processor they can part with on the cheap? Buddy may have damaged IHS attempting to remove caked on paste.

Wow did he use a jackhammer?
This can happen pretty easily as the metal seems pretty soft. Plus, if this happened when trying to remove/separate a stuck heatsink/processor combo, then it's probably catestrophic (maybe even for the motherboard).

However, if the IHS juse seems damaged, it may still work fine. I did a search on a damaged IHS (didn't know the acronymn of the top of my head), and found several posts on Intel's forums about damaged IHS with the recommendations being to just be sure the nick is filled or to lap the entire surface to basically 'sand down' the surface to a super smooth finish.

Wow did he use a jackhammer?

Funny you should ask this....

This can happen pretty easily as the metal seems pretty soft. Plus, if this happened when trying to remove/separate a stuck heatsink/processor combo, then it's probably catestrophic (maybe even for the motherboard).

However, if the IHS juse seems damaged, it may still work fine. I did a search on a damaged IHS (didn't know the acronymn of the top of my head), and found several posts on Intel's forums about damaged IHS with the recommendations being to just be sure the nick is filled or to lap the entire surface to basically 'sand down' the surface to a super smooth finish.

Spot on. Bruv removed heatsink, only to find he also removed the chip simultaneously. Hilarity ensued with hair dryers, ovens, ethyl alcohol, and more. Eventually I believe a hammer and chisel did the trick.

I have a 8150 FX that is just sitting around.

Intrigued, and messaged. Existing chip is still functioning, but will touch base with him to see if he'd like it.

Funny you should ask this....

Spot on. Bruv removed heatsink, only to find he also removed the chip simultaneously. Hilarity ensued with hair dryers, ovens, ethyl alcohol, and more. Eventually I believe a hammer and chisel did the trick.

Intrigued, and messaged. Existing chip is still functioning, but will touch base with him to see if he'd like it.

I have had this happen before as well the chip coming up with the heatsink usually a heat gun to warm it up an a small slotted screw driver to pop it apart and no worries. I have never done any damage except when I dropped it on to the floor it caused hundreds of pins to bend, I replaced it then I do not have the eye sight or the patience for all that.

thats why after releasing the hold down on AMD cpus, I give the heatsink a clockwise or counter clockwise turn, to break the thermal compound apart.
Yep, after changing my first cpu in about 20 years (ones prior to that didn't use thermal compound), I did exactly that. Even when putting in a new one, I'll push down gently and twist like that to squeeze out all the air in the thermal paste. My only problem is sometimes using too much paste. Hard to tell how much is enough.

I really just wish they would make cpus have integrated 'towers' to form a heatsink or at least a way for the heatsink and processor surfaces to 'interlock' like legos--would make the paste maybe completely unnecessary.

Did the thought never come to him to put the CPU in a vice and rotate the heatsink? Heck, even a large adjustable spanner clamped to the CPU and rotated would have worked.

I've had to remove heatsinks fused to the tops of CPUs before due to burned thermal compound or epoxy, and never had an issue using the above methods.

I am cleaning out my parts closet a bit more, and have a bunch of cables and adapters available for the cost of shipping them. Especially for older systems using serial, parallel, and ps/2 adapters, I have a bunch.

Power cables, ethernet cables, vga/dvi/hdmi, power adapters of all kinds. Floppy cables, pata hdd cables (no SATA though), piles of case screws. Tons of other like stuff.

Anyone need any of that kind of stuff? I worked in IT for 25+ years and really hate to throw this stuff away, but I am a nurse now and this stuff is just sitting here until I get around to pitching it.

:eek:

And these cpus still worked later?

Depends on if the fan was still working. The thermal compound/epoxy burns because it was a garbage formula that breaks down from heat, compound/epoxy like this was common in the late 90s/early 2000s.

I am cleaning out my parts closet a bit more, and have a bunch of cables and adapters available for the cost of shipping them. Especially for older systems using serial, parallel, and ps/2 adapters, I have a bunch.

Power cables, ethernet cables, vga/dvi/hdmi, power adapters of all kinds. Floppy cables, pata hdd cables (no SATA though), piles of case screws. Tons of other like stuff.

Anyone need any of that kind of stuff? I worked in IT for 25+ years and really hate to throw this stuff away, but I am a nurse now and this stuff is just sitting here until I get around to pitching it.
Any ps2-usb converters? If so, then I might be interested.

Any ps2-usb converters? If so, then I might be interested.

Lots of the ones to convert a usb device to PS/2, but the ones to convert a PS/2 to USB were always kinda tough to get to work right. I am sure I have one more left that converts a PS/2 keyboard and mouse to USB, but like I said I wouldn't trust it.

Lots of the ones to convert a usb device to PS/2, but the ones to convert a PS/2 to USB were always kinda tough to get to work right. I am sure I have one more left that converts a PS/2 keyboard and mouse to USB, but like I said I wouldn't trust it.
Gotcha. I'll still consider it taking the load if your only choice is to throw it all away. I'm sure I could find use for things although I don't exactly need it.

It's roughly 10 shoeboxes full of stuff. If you have a need for older cables and adapters I am sure you'll find a use for it all eventually.

I have a 939 Athlon64 X2 3800+. Cover shipping and it's yours. No bent pins.

ADA3800DAA5CD
CCBWE 0528XPMW

25iJZzdm.jpg
K6XT49Hm.jpg

Does anyone have a Windows 7 key they could donate? I'm trying to get an older machine put together for a low income family so their kids can do homework and such on it.

I'm also looking for an Athlon 64 x2 5600+ or 6000+ (Socket AM2) for the same machine to speed it up, it currently has a Sempron single core which isn't going to cut it. I'll probably have to end up buying this part, but thought I'd check first.

Also, thinning out my CPU pile as it's getting a bit ridiculous. Check compatibility with your system before claiming, I can't be responsible for incompatibilities, all of these CPUs are working pulls. If you need further specs on these CPUs, www.cpu-world.com is an excellent resource.

LGA 1366:
Xeon W3505 (2.53 GHz dual core) - Gone
Xeon W3503 (2.40 GHz dual core) - Gone

LGA 775:
Core 2 Duo E8300 (2.83 GHz) - Gone
Pentium Dual-Core E5400 (2.7 GHz) - Gone
Pentium Dual-Core E5200 (2.5 GHz ) - Gone
Celeron 430 (1.6 GHz) - Gone
Pentium D 915 (2.8 GHz) - Gone

CPUs are for cost of shipping via USPS to the lower 48 states only.

I also have 2-3 LGA115x stock Intel heatsinks available. These heatsinks are pulls from a restaurant environment, so expect them to be filthy and need cleaning.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a Windows 7 key they could donate? I'm trying to get an older machine put together for a low income family so their kids can do homework and such on it.

I'm also looking for an Athlon 64 x2 5600+ or 6000+ (Socket AM2) for the same machine to speed it up, it currently has a Sempron single core which isn't going to cut it. I'll probably have to end up buying this part, but thought I'd check first.

Also, thinning out my CPU pile as it's getting a bit ridiculous. Check compatibility with your system before claiming, I can't be responsible for incompatibilities, all of these CPUs are working pulls. If you need further specs on these CPUs, www.cpu-world.com is an excellent resource.

LGA 1366:
Xeon W3505 (2.53 GHz dual core)
Xeon W3503 (2.40 GHz dual core)

LGA 775:
Core 2 Duo E8300 (2.83 GHz)
Pentium Dual-Core E5400 (2.7 GHz)
Pentium Dual-Core E5200 (2.5 GHz)
Celeron 430 (1.6 GHz)
Pentium D 915 (2.8 GHz)

I also have 2-3 LGA115x stock Intel heatsinks available. These heatsinks are pulls from a restaurant environment, so expect them to be filthy and need cleaning.

Pm'd for the xeons

I'll tak em depending on shipping

LGA 1366:

LGA 775:
Celeron 430 (1.6 GHz)
Pentium D 915 (2.8 GHz)

I am sure I have a Win7 key laying around somewhere. PM me if you still need it.

Anybody have 2.5" laptop HDDs they can part with for cost of shipping or a nominal fee? Looking for 80gb-250gb sizes. I am refurbing some laptops for F&F. Thank you!

Anybody have 2.5" laptop HDDs they can part with for cost of shipping or a nominal fee? Looking for 80gb-250gb sizes. I am refurbing some laptops for F&F. Thank you!

I have one very slow Toshiba 80 GB SATA drive. It's been in a drawer so long that I don't know if it works or not, I'd have to test it again.

Are you looking for SATA drives? If so, I have the drives below that I could send to you for $20 shipped. Pretty sure these were tested, they were in a pile of hardware I remember testing months ago and packing away in anti-static bags.

HDDs-1.jpg HDDs-2.jpg

EDIT: Gone to janas19

Last edited:
Sounds good, how much to ship to 87123?

I would go with Techdude01's drives, they're higher capacity and better brands than the one I have.

If you still want mine, it would be the cost of a USPS small flat rate box, which I think is $7.25.

Shoot me a PM bro if them above ones don't pan out!

I think I have two WD Scorpio Black 250 gig drives I could shoot down to ya. :woot:

I think I have two WD Scorpio Black 250 gig drives I could shoot down to ya. :woot:

Thanks friend-o! I nabbed 3 HDDs from techdude01 so I don't need anymore right now. But if you are looking to sell 'em cheap shoot me a price, I won't ever turn down cheap hardware haha :p

I am getting back into retro builds and have been in need of this kind of stuff... Floppy/PATA cables, serial cables/adapters, parallel stuff, you name it. If you can get this stuff all into a box and weight/measure it I can get you a label.

Looking for a single DDR2 PC-5300+ SODIMM, 2GB or 4GB stick. I went through my pile of stuff and couldn't find any :(

LGA 1366:

LGA 775:
Celeron 430 (1.6 GHz)
Pentium D 915 (2.8 GHz)

I'll take all the lga775 cpus and any heatsinks if they'll fit lga775 as well as lga115x (if still available). I've got a UPS account so I can cover shipping.

I can cover shipping on these if you're trying to offload them. They'll be put to good use for sure. (y)

I'll take all the lga775 cpus and any heatsinks if they'll fit lga775 as well as lga115x (if still available). I've got a UPS account so I can cover shipping.

UPS is a banned carrier in my books, I will not ship via UPS no matter the terms. USPS or Fedex are only options.

Someone else claimed the 775 CPUs but has not responded to a shipping quote. If they don't get back with me by tomorrow then they're going to be up again.

LGA115x coolers will not work with LGA775 sockets.

I have a c2d e6400 if anyone is interested. Cover shipping and it's yours.

**Pending**

Last edited:
Looking for Windows 7 key for family member. Any with an old laptop they are not using anymore

Back