The [H] Oblivion Psych-Up Thread

Json23 said:
Actually, the developers have said just the opposite. The average PC user won't be able to run everything on high with faster load times or steadier frame rates unless they have an outrageous dual card solution with a gig and a half of ram.

Not that the PC isn't capable of it, just that the 360 is multi-core enabled and due to the standard hardware has more solid programming and doesn't have to use varied drivers and paths like the PC version does due to the varied hardware set-ups.

They have stated several times that the PC version will in no way be limited by the 360 version.

I am still getting it for the PC regardless though. I just prefer to game on my PC if I have the option to do so.

I'm not talking about the average pc user, I'm talking about skirrows pc, I think it will top the xbox360, his specs below.

Athlon X2 4800+
EQS A72K9-CF Mobo
Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2PRO
Sapphire X1900XTX
Audigy 2 ZS

Oblivion preview on gamespy!

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion/692014p1.html

sorry if repost. w00t.

EDIT: OMG

"Once we were out of the drab sewers, we opened the door on an immense, seamless world that was full of color and life. More than perhaps any other element of the game, exploring Oblivion's amazing world is something that truly must be experienced for oneself. You'll likely marvel at everything from the swaying grass of the wide-open plains to the shimmering lakes that dot the landscape, as well as the fact that you can go virtually anywhere you please. There's a full day/night cycle in place, too, and we were taken aback when we walked out of an abandoned mine to see the pristine night sky for the first time."

man... I am drolling. :D

I second the demo idea....however, I am getting this regardless...just have to finish a ton of work before then so I can enjoy it a little...

Im gonna hook up my 360 control to my PC so I can get the best of both worlds. It will be nice to have both, it really made a difference in D and D Online Stormreach

I'm not talking about the average pc user, I'm talking about skirrows pc, I think it will top the xbox360, his specs below.

Lol, in that case I would have to agree with you!

I need to get a job working for a site such as this one. Even if it is scrubbing toilets (which in my opinion would be more fun then doing executive summaries all day anyway) just so I can rub elbows and get in on some of the preview action first hand on games like this.

Hell, I would PAY to be able to visit a web site admin's office just to be able to take a peek at the preview. Oh well, maybe I should start my own site and see where I can get?

Oops, i mean rape the women and ride of on the horsees.

Too bad there is not co-op, or else I would be defending the women and using the horses to trample you!! :D

I always want to play the bad guy, but I just can't seem to pull it off, no matter how hard I want to be. My character in Fable had a freakin halo and butterflies everywhere. It was pathetic.

Json23 said:
Too bad there is not co-op, or else I would be defending the women and using the horses to trample you!! :D

I always want to play the bad guy, but I just can't seem to pull it off, no matter how hard I want to be. My character in Fable had a freakin halo and butterflies everywhere. It was pathetic.

Nah it's not. I usually go bad (at least with KOTOR 1 & 2), but Fable was tough to be bad. If you were gonna be bad, you had to be REALLY bad (Skorn anyone?). I'm usually not up for senseless killing all over.

I prefer targeted or provoked killing/badness.

Im glad we have a release date now, gotta go finish paying it off so I can walk up and grab my goody. Also, fable was pretty sick, even though they didnt put in all the cool stuff they were playing. I loved how I looked like a demon at the end. I killed everyone in town, i was a mass-murderer and everyone hated me. Now thats gameplay baby.

I never played Arena, but I loved Daggerfall. I found Morrowind to be good, but I liked the mechanics, the travel and the overall "feel" of Daggerfall better. I liked the graphics better, mostly cause it didn't have nearly as many problems with things popping out of nowhere like Daggerfall did. Apparently Oblivion has gone back to the "things popping out of nowhere" depth-of-field problem that Daggerfall had...At least on the 360. You can adjust the depth-of-field in Morrowind for the PC; hopefully Oblivion lets you do the same.

I just finally finished Morrowind a few weeks ago, actually...I've been going through all the side quests for my guild, etc. and decided that it was time to finish the game.

I'll still be buying the game. I think my little old XP2500+/512M/6600GT machine will probably need replacing to give the game the platform it deserves.

I killed everyone in town, i was a mass-murderer and everyone hated me. Now thats gameplay baby.

I tried to be bad, just couldn't do it. : (

The only game where I was capable of being a bad guy was Fallout 2.

I think I am going to be a thief the first time around in this game. Either that or a mage of some sort.

What does everyone else plan on playing as?

im waiting for a major letdown. i have high hopes, but feel very pessimestic.

"hay look at our great new game. look at all the shiney new graphics that wont run well on 75% of the hardware out there. dont look at the list of features we had to remove that we pumped you up about this time last year. those darn beards were just too complicated."

HydroSqueegee said:

I've tried to remain objective all along, just so I wasn't expecting more than the game will deliver. At this point, the only thing I'm concerned about is the complexity and size of the dungeons. I know they supposedly made a major effort to improve them since MW.
I'm just worried that too many will seem a like and although they'll be much nicer than MW, they won''t have the posh I'm expecting.

HydroSqueegee said:

"hay look at our great new game. look at all the shiney new graphics that wont run well on 75% of the hardware out there. dont look at the list of features we had to remove that we pumped you up about this time last year. those darn beards were just too complicated."

Besides self-shadowing, what features were pumped up last year that had to be removed?

Bethesda has released it's freakin' opus and you're sniffing at it like it was yesterday's lunch.

It will be a great game. Don't worry so much.

capnstabn said:
Is there any co-operative multi player in oblivion?

1) make a fist

2) punch yourself in the eye as hard as you can

3) repeat steps 1) and 2) until you have achieved satisfactory results

I think I have to get a 2nd gig of RAM just for Oblivion....

Having said that, having a release date is making me feel all funny in my special areas.

I'm trying to not get too pumped up, but I am looking forward to it.

The forces of Oblivion shall part before the light of Trueflame, and Nerevar Reborn shall lead the armies of Tamriel to the very gates of the rebel Daedric Princes themselves!

Hey, I'm exited now, I'm going to build a new rig very soon, I just gotta wait till march9th, then I'll easily have it set up and stable march 21st and then I can enjoy some uber gaming enjoyment.

What do you guys think of the quest compass ? I think it sucks ass.
They say it's easy to ignore but read this preview:

"Similarly there is a new compass system that compliments the map. The compass contains important hotspots that are nearby like towns and ruins in the form of little icons. The closer you are to the hotspot the less faded the icons are. Similarly a pointer is placed on the compass that shows the direction of the location you need to be at for your active quest. To begin with this is red but when you are near your target area the pointer will turn green. For example if you need to visit an alchemist in Cyrodiil a red pointer will lead you directly to where the alchemist is. Once you enter the alchemist building the pointer will turn green and lead you to exactly where the alchemist is in the building. Once again I’ll be cynical and say if I wanted someone to hold my hand and make me feel “special” while doing quests I’d have invited a friend over to do it all for me. If you were one of those people in Morrowind who couldn’t follow directions, never learnt how to read a map or were impatient in finding what you were looking for then this feature will be a god send to you. If you enjoy finding your own way to places and using the map for things other than fast travel then you’re going to have a hard time trying to ignore the pointers on the compass."

http://tessource.net/content.php?page=Official TESSource Oblivion Review :mad:

have they released info on how long the game is, considering 4 years development im hoping more than 8-16hours.

If it is anything like Morrowind, it will take hundreds of hours to beat just the main storyline. Anyone else excited about the inclusion of a Septim coin with the CO?

dwilson041781 said:
have they released info on how long the game is, considering 4 years development im hoping more than 8-16hours.

To even ask such a question tells me you've never played an Elder Scrolls game before. :p

They are huge. To finish the main quest and one of the guilds along with some random exploring will take at least 75-100 hours. If you set out to beat every quest and explore every dungeon in the game it will take you months.

General Crespin said:
The forces of Oblivion shall part before the light of Trueflame, and Nerevar Reborn shall lead the armies of Tamriel to the very gates of the rebel Daedric Princes themselves!

Sorry chief, unless you are making up your own story the Neravarine has nothing to do with with this.

Back