The [H]orde Suggestion Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kvothe

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2006
There's been a ton of good ideas floating about regarding recruiting, contests and other activities that the team has been looking. The purpose of this thread is for open discussion of suggestions for those topics and new ideas.

Any suggestions related to www.hardfolding.com need to be directed to King_N via PM or through www.hardfolding.com and will be deleted from this thread.

So discuss, and share your ideas on how to make the [H]orde a better team!

Current Ideas:
1. New way to maintain the parts swap information.
2. Badge Changes

I still think sub-teams would be a great addition.

I understand that it might not be possible in the forseeable future to incorperated it into the hf.com site, but maybe if people wanted to do it the way they do on some other teams...

and just create a new UserID for the whole team... the only thing would be you have
only the team stats, vs individual stats... just a thought.

How about a thread with a running commentary for all the gauntlets going on right now. Might make for some entertaining reading.

e.g. Since I am in a race to 200/250 k points. We could do like a commentary on each day or week progress. Something like this:

magnusvir pulls out a moose dump with 2k+ points posted. :D

p.s. I dont wanna rail on you, moose but that p00p thread WAS funny. :D

magnusvir said:
How about a thread with a running commentary for all the gauntlets going on right now. Might make for some entertaining reading.

e.g. Since I am in a race to 200/250 k points. We could do like a commentary on each day or week progress. Something like this:

magnusvir pulls out a moose dump with 2k+ points posted. :D

p.s. I dont wanna rail on you, moose but that p00p thread WAS funny. :D

Actually the contest thread does have links to the current gauntlets, but I was considering laying it out so that the active parties badges were displayed with a small blurb.

Maybe a [H]orde reduced price network? :confused: Some of us get great employee discounts at work on stuff we make. Mobos, processors, peripherals, cards, etc. Maybe we can have a list of services our advantages members have and use that as leverage.

ICE_9 said:
Maybe a [H]orde reduced price network? :confused: Some of us get great employee discounts at work on stuff we make. Mobos, processors, peripherals, cards, etc. Maybe we can have a list of services our advantages members have and use that as leverage.

excellent idea. I would so go for that. :D

I have a suggestion, this has been brought up about what folding box to use. I know most of us can't afford a highend box to fold, but hey give us a break we don't have any money to throw around to put together an x2 or a dual opteron or a dual Amd server or a 800fsb xeon.

I suggest that members that fold with a 500mhz or lower machine is allowed to fold with a machine like this, due to lack of money, job or time.

I keep be constantly reminded that I have slow boxen and should be replaced. If this has turned into who has better boxen or If you have slow computers, turn them off and throw them away for better units.

Then what happen to using your computers to fold? I think some people here in the [H]orde has let money go to the brain and forgot what we are trying to accomplish.

i really would like to get a [H]orde T-shirt. i would deffinitely buy 2, and wear them with pride.

can we put together something for those of us who were not around for the first run??

xxGriff said:
i really would like to get a [H]orde T-shirt. i would deffinitely buy 2, and wear them with pride.

can we put together something for those of us who were not around for the first run??

I second this idea, Then we have a wet t-shirt folding contest. :eek:

I think it would be awsome to have a folding-box give-away contest similar to OCAU's FBOX contests (check out details on their home page, OR check out their FBox Page) Not meaning to endorse the aussies or anything, it's just a good idea!

Someone who we all trust would have to organize it, take donations [of both money and hardware], and build the systems (my vote would go to steve of hardocp.com, however, I dont know that he has the time to take on such a task)

It would be a perfect prize for competitions/folder of the month/etc. And would help our team by combining our resources to add new CPU horsepower on a regular basis. :cool:

kaleb_zero said:
I think it would be awsome to have a folding-box give-away contest similar to OCAU's FBOX contests (check out details on their home page, OR check out their FBox Page) Not meaning to endorse the aussies or anything, it's just a good idea!

Someone who we all trust would have to organize it, take donations [of both money and hardware], and build the systems (my vote would go to steve of hardocp.com, however, I dont know that he has the time to take on such a task)

It would be a perfect prize for competitions/folder of the month/etc. And would help our team by combining our resources to add new CPU horsepower on a regular basis. :cool:

FLECOM and I were going to do this when relic was around, never actually materialized due to power costs, etc. I wouldn't mind leading this project again if there was some interest. Our idea, however, was creating a HF fund where people who donate would choose what parts to put in the PC, and FLECOM would run it at his house under a general username.

Again, I can see if I have the ideas still (I believe I wrote them down) and we can start this up again- IF there is interest.

Decentralizing the location of the PC has advantages and drawbacks.. The advantages are that the power cost is given to the winner of the box, who, in return, get's the extra production without having to pay for the hardware itself. The disadvantage of decntralizing the location of all the boxes is that they'd have to be properly packed and shipped to whoever wins them.

I'll be more than happy to house boxen for awhile. Send money to Viper, Viper can order the parts dropped shipped to me, I can assemble run for the short term and ship to the winner. Or just run the boxen.

Just a thought, I'm open to what ever. I like this idea, having boxen before contests and alike, folding all the time.

I'd also be up for housing a "FBOX" (or wahtever we call it) if this goes through. Seems like alot of people are interested too.

how about the Pimp my boxen (or overhaul my boxen b/c i hate pimp my ride)

We could start a thread were we show our shappy broken boxen that is barely folding and we take it under our wing and get it back to health. Maybe a newer cpu or something. Not an entire new boxen but like an upgrade to stuff we already have. It wouldn't have to cost any money a lot of us have parts laying around. We just pick who we pimp then we start looking for who has what that can help and if we can't find what we want we pull together some cash to add something. Not saying we give someone a X2 or anything but say someone has a 1800xp chip we upfrade them to a 2200+ and 256 more ram. Or they got this ugly looking mess sitting on the carpet and the g/f is always ragging on them so we get them a case to put it in.

that is longer then i thought it was going to be but

Some time back, one of the [H]orde suggested gauntlets that pit a collection of newcomers against a [H]igh-roller. I thought that was a great idea, similar to the Spank-a-Roo contest, but internal to the [H]orde, so all ramping and borging advance the team.

Not my idea, but I'm willing to play.

Celerator said:
Some time back, one of the [H]orde suggested gauntlets that pit a collection of newcomers against a [H]igh-roller. I thought that was a great idea, similar to the Spank-a-Roo contest, but internal to the [H]orde, so all ramping and borging advance the team.

Not my idea, but I'm willing to play.

I would support this idea as well.

IDEA

we have everyone who wants to participate post in a thread and from those people take 2 people to be team captains. they each choose someone, one by one. something like you would do if you were picking teams for football or something. these two teams would race each other. dont know if this would be too big to manage but its something.

Celerator said:
Smoke? Please explain...

Smokerngs I think his handle was.

We both kind of had same idea. Start with one person/group with trophy and others challenge them for it. Cycle continues with other people/groups bonding together and challenging

I have a small suggestion. As cool as "[H]orde Central" sounds, I think a lot of new folders don't realize that it contains links to all the FAQs and guides, and we get a lot of questions that have been answered many many times. Not that it's such a bad thing, I guess, since we then get a chance to meet & greet the newbie...

What do you all think about modifying the name to something that screams "Look Here First!"?

Krayzie135 said:
i think, no matter how hard you try, most people dont see the stickys

Its all about catching the eye of the newbie. Try something like this.

Free Beer!!!

It sure gets my attention.

Mayhem33 said:
Its all about catching the eye of the newbie. Try something like this.

Free Beer!!!

It sure gets my attention.

I think that makes more sense than anything that has ever been said here :D

Update the faqs to point to valid links (f@h install guide down on hf.com)

add a link to unhappy_mages "easy" f@h installer

King, not through the site, through the H central thing

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1029061459&postcount=1
Q: I would like to start Folding! How can I get going?
A: Read our Folding@Home Install Guide.
leads to:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1029061465&postcount=3
Folding & UD/Grid.org Setup:

Q: How can I configure my machine to Fold?
A: Please read our Folding@Home Install Guide.

Leads to a dead page

Edit: looks like the UD links through those don't work as well

The central is fixed, added mage's gui installer.

Made the thread title for the [H] Central a little more descriptive. Not that any n00bs will ever look. :p

While editing the FAQ's today, I realized that [H]orde|Central may need a revamp...especially in regard to the new clients that F@H has. ie: GPU, CPU, SMP and now PS3. It seems to me that the info may be hard to find in the current format.

We really need to segregate the UD info from the F@H info. It just all meshes together now the way it is. Agree, disagree? Suggestions?

We really need to segregate the UD info from the F@H info. It just all meshes together now the way it is. Agree, disagree? Suggestions?
I agree. A separate "United Devices FAQ" and "Folding@Home FAQ" would be good. As cool as the "Horde Central" title is, it's not as eye-catching for a noobie as something with a nice, simple "xxxx FAQ" title.

I agree. A separate "United Devices FAQ" and "Folding@Home FAQ" would be good. As cool as the "Horde Central" title is, it's not as eye-catching for a noobie as something with a nice, simple "xxxx FAQ" title.
Well, I only want to have one faq, but I want it to be broken into two parts. The same general idea applies.

IDEA

we have everyone who wants to participate post in a thread and from those people take 2 people to be team captains. they each choose someone, one by one. something like you would do if you were picking teams for football or something. these two teams would race each other. dont know if this would be too big to manage but its something.

Really I don't see that could possibly work, there is newcomers and people who have been here that chug along but would like to win a contest or something. Then they cannot because of low ppd or like me, become the possum, get run over each time because of low WU and points and have old computers running, then not an upgrade in sight for over 4 years.

I all for saving money like my parents say, but if something doesn't change soon and it must I'll SOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back