The HD 3850 AGP User Experience

well, I did mine, I be poor only getting 600.00 back and shoot its already spent.. no new toys for me.. oh wait.. already got em!

What's the deal? None of these benchmarks are testing the socket 939 processors. I'll test my 4400+ when I get the card but I would still like to be able to see what kind of performance I will get from it before I buy.

I'd love to get one of these for an older, but still capable machine I have sitting underneath my desk at home. :)

Come to think of it, I have a K6-3+ 450 that could use a new video card. :) :D :D

What's the deal? None of these benchmarks are testing the socket 939 processors. I'll test my 4400+ when I get the card but I would still like to be able to see what kind of performance I will get from it before I buy.

i ran it on my 3800+ x2 (2gb ram, msi k8t neo2, sb x-fi) and just edged out my brother's pc (4200+, sli'd 7900's, 2 gb ram) in 3d mark... since i just formatted my pc, i didn't have a chance to test it with real games...

i have:
Lost Planet
Jericho
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Kain & Lynch
UT 3

to try out today... picked them all up within the past 2 weeks anticipating running them on the 3850... or they were just super cheap ($9.10 for jericho, $7.50 for lost planet)

anyone got anyc rysis benchmarks with this card. 3dmark is not good to n=benchmark the card. you need actual ingame performance ie fps

anyone got anyc rysis benchmarks with this card. 3dmark is not good to n=benchmark the card. you need actual ingame performance ie fps

well, it can be argued that game benchmarks aren't any better. ;)

my games run very well and make me happy. in fact, I am playing Bioshock all over again because it runs so much better and looks so different.

Can any of you guys that have the card post your power supply specs? I'm trying to decide if I want to pull the trigger on this but I'm not going to do it if I have to buy a new PS too. In that case, I'll build a new system. Thanks!

I'm running a Truepower II 550 Antec, if that helps.

Can any of you guys that have the card post your power supply specs? I'm trying to decide if I want to pull the trigger on this but I'm not going to do it if I have to buy a new PS too. In that case, I'll build a new system. Thanks!

Mine is running just fine on my old Antec Smart Blue 350W PSU believe it or not. Thought for sure I was going to have to upgrade but works just fine. http://www.antec.com/specs/sl350_spe.html

Im running a Hiper Type-R 580W power supply. Its modular. I was told by Hiper that this power supply wouldnt run the 1950 OR this card. Think they were just trying to sell me a new PS cause Ive ran both without any issues what so ever. Im also running 2 hd , 2 120mm fans, 2 dvd burners, again without any issues.

In reference to this card just took the two connectors I had in the 1950 and plugged them into the converter and never looked back. Went straight into the new card and has been fine.

Any word on whether ATI will offer OFFICIAL driver support or will be incumbent upon the video card manufacture to make their own (like the 2600s)?

why don't you give us your entire computer specs? but to answer your question, i ran my 1950pro on a 510watt PC P&C and i am currently running a 610watt PC P&C. the only reason i bought the 610wat psu was that i wanted to have pcie molex's and not use the adapters from the company. not that there is anything wrong with them.

would thee be a majr improvement from goin to this card from a 7800 gainward Bliss?

YES! :D

I have a 3800x2 at 2.4, 2 HDD's, ATI HDTV wonder, 2 DVD drives, and currently a 6800 vid card using a Enlight 420W PS. Never had the slightest problem with the PS so far, but I really don't want to buy a new PS for this box. Good to hear that a 350W PS will work with this card. I also saw that newegg has the Powercolor card in stock now. More expensive, but it has a much nicer cooler and I think runs off of a 6 pin.

I have a 3800x2 at 2.4, 2 HDD's, ATI HDTV wonder, 2 DVD drives, and currently a 6800 vid card using a Enlight 420W PS. Never had the slightest problem with the PS so far, but I really don't want to buy a new PS for this box. Good to hear that a 350W PS will work with this card. I also saw that newegg has the Powercolor card in stock now. More expensive, but it has a much nicer cooler and I think runs off of a 6 pin.

it looks like you might squeak by with that psu. regarding the price for the powercolor card, it is only ~$5 more than the spaphire. i like the blue pcb on the sapphy anyway :p

Yes I can't get enough benches either. Monday my card will be arriving so I will be sure to post some benches early Tuesday comparing it to my 7800GS card on my 4400+ X2, 939.

I scored a 4341 in 3Dmark06

Current Specs:
P4 3.0 stock
1.5GB ddr400
74gb raptor (newer version)
865PE msi board
3850AGP

I did post these benchmarks in another forum, but since this is an special "The HD 3850 user experience" thread here you go!

System: P4 3.0 GHz, 1 GB RAM DDR400, ASRock P4i65G, Thermaltake Toughpower 650W, Seagate 500GB, Audigy 2ZS.

TEST 1

Company of Heroes, 1280X1024, everything set to high except Shadows set to medium
AA: none, Post processing: off

Average FPS: 43.5
Maximum FPS: 62.3
Minimum FPS: 12.1

62.5 % improvement over X800XL

TEST 2

High Definition video playback using PowerDVD 7.2

Video: 1920x1080, AVC, 18 Mbit/sec
Audio: HE-AAC, 2 Channels, 100 Kbit/sec

CPU Usage X800XL = 100%

CPU Usage HD 3850 = 4%

I don’t have a Blu-ray drive, no idea if the HD 3850 AGP accelerate HD disc playback.

I did some benchmarks using Everest Ultimate and I got some interesting findings:

Company of Heroes
Maximum CPU utilization: 79%
Maximum Memory utilization: 100%

Oblivion Indoor 1280x1024
Maximum CPU utilization: 68%
Maximum Memory utilization: 65%

Oblivion Outdoor 1280x1024
Maximum CPU utilization: 84%

According to this findings the lack of memory (1 GB) is "bottlenecking" the card, NOT my ancient P4.

I highly recommend 2 GB of memory if you are considering this card.

I would also suggest you spend an hour and tweak XP or whatever Operating system you have, when you install XP raw.. it uses up to 500meg... when you tweak it down I've had it running at one time in under 86 meg.. now of course I couldn't do jack on the computer except game, but it gives you and Idea how you might maximize your memory usage.

I would also suggest you spend an hour and tweak XP or whatever Operating system you have, when you install XP raw.. it uses up to 500meg... when you tweak it down I've had it running at one time in under 86 meg.. now of course I couldn't do jack on the computer except game, but it gives you and Idea how you might maximize your memory usage.

when i do a fresh xp install it eats around 100megs. after i finish all of my installs it never gets above 250megs. 500megs? wow, :confused:

Well, Ive just have had an most interesting experience. Ive been working with computers since 1986 and this has never happened to me before. Very strange.

Watched 3 movies tonight. While watching the movies was doing some websurfing to my usual sites. After movies were done, I was going to do a reboot and do some Obliv. and it likes a reboot before playing, at least on this machine. When it came back up I was in 800X600 and I get a notice from CCC that I have no drivers installed. To reboot and reinstall them.

Ive never had this happen. Is this a typical thing with ATi cards? Well, I did an usual reinstall, ie: uninstall, boot to safe mode, use cleaner ect ect. Machine is now purring along as it was before this happened. One thing I did notice, Obliv looks even better now. Just got done doing 2hrs of that.

Never seen this before. If I had been messing around with settings, or uninstalling stuff or the like I could see a "oops" happening, but all Ive been doing all evening is 7hrs of movies and websurfin.

very strange indeed...

LV

when something like that happens i blame it on the ghost of the machine. i really do. inexplicable things like that make a person wonder. :eek:

I did post these benchmarks in another forum, but since this is an special "The HD 3850 user experience" thread here you go!

System: P4 3.0 GHz, 1 GB RAM DDR400, ASRock P4i65G, Thermaltake Toughpower 650W, Seagate 500GB, Audigy 2ZS.

TEST 1

Company of Heroes, 1280X1024, everything set to high except Shadows set to medium
AA: none, Post processing: off

Average FPS: 43.5
Maximum FPS: 62.3
Minimum FPS: 12.1

62.5 % improvement over X800XL

TEST 2

High Definition video playback using PowerDVD 7.2

Video: 1920x1080, AVC, 18 Mbit/sec
Audio: HE-AAC, 2 Channels, 100 Kbit/sec

CPU Usage X800XL = 100%

CPU Usage HD 3850 = 4%

I don’t have a Blu-ray drive, no idea if the HD 3850 AGP accelerate HD disc playback.

I did some benchmarks using Everest Ultimate and I got some interesting findings:

Company of Heroes
Maximum CPU utilization: 79%

Oblivion Indoor 1280x1024
Maximum CPU utilization: 68%
Maximum Memory utilization: 65%

Oblivion Outdoor 1280x1024
Maximum CPU utilization: 84%

According to this findings the lack of memory (1 GB) is "bottlenecking" the card, NOT my ancient P4.

I highly recommend 2 GB of memory if you are considering this card.

Also the CPU is a bottleneck, with my P4 EE 3.4GHz, didn't see twice as much of an improvement over my X800XT with this card. CPU usage doesn't tell the whole story, the Pentium 4 low IPC will be more evident in low CPU usage, also in games which tends to be more GPU dependent which most are, the CPU usage will not be 100%, but still a nice improvement which will give you at least 2 years of PC gaming enjoyment, for me that's enough. 3DMark)x is not the best benchmark, but is a tool that gives you the idea of the overall performance during upgrades, and my score barely went up from 6,186 to 7,784 in 3Dmark05.

i think u might be wrong because on my p4 3.2ghz northwood my cpu reached 80-100 on cod4 and in ut3.

our cpu's are just too slow to keep up with todays games now. when that happens you know that your current rig needs to be ditched if u play games.

I'm sure that even with the Pentium 4, there's no game in the market right now that simply will not run on it because if it slow. If you are happy with you rig's performance, a videocard upgrade will do the job, even if it doesn't break 3DMark records, of course there's exceptions like having a Sempron or Celeron CPU, try to overclock then

I'm sure that even with the Pentium 4, there's no game in the market right now that simply will not run on it because if it slow. If you are happy with you rig's performance, a videocard upgrade will do the job, even if it doesn't break 3DMark records, of course there's exceptions like having a Sempron or Celeron CPU, try to overclock then

ditto. i am happy and i will remain happy for a while. :D

im just not sure if its worth it over a 7800 gainward bliss. atm i can play cod4 on most things on high but at low res of 800x600 getting 40-50fps. if i can run cod4 on at least 1280x res withe verything high with this card then i may consider it.

im just not sure if its worth it over a 7800 gainward bliss. atm i can play cod4 on most things on high but at low res of 800x600 getting 40-50fps. if i can run cod4 on at least 1280x res withe verything high with this card then i may consider it.

Sure you will, most games today tends to be more GPU bound than CPU bound, unless you are using a Celeron, Sempron or Pentium 4 2.8GHz or below, the performance boost will be nice, does that 7800 bliss card have a 7900GT GPU on it? Because the performance is a bit low for such GPU.

Sure you will, most games today tends to be more GPU bound than CPU bound, unless you are using a Celeron, Sempron or Pentium 4 2.8GHz or below, the performance boost will be nice, does that 7800 bliss card have a 7900GT GPU on it? Because the performance is a bit low for such GPU.

yea it suppose to have a 7900GT in it because its the gainward bliss+ version.

i have a p4 northwood cpu with 2gb of ram. if what you say is true, what could be the bottleneck of my current system?

when something like that happens i blame it on the ghost of the machine. i really do. inexplicable things like that make a person wonder. :eek:

hummm ghosties huh? okay, can live with that.. best not be dust bunnies though.. those scare me :D

yea it suppose to have a 7900GT in it because its the gainward bliss+ version.

i have a p4 northwood cpu with 2gb of ram. if what you say is true, what could be the bottleneck of my current system?

could it be a driver issue? are you using nvidia's own drivers or Gainward's? how old are they?

Back