The highly rated HP Pavilion Slimline PC thread

As promised, here is my short review of the Dell Studio Slim:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1374904
Thanks, good review. Of note however is if you don't need 4 memory slots and stick to dual-core processors, at least in Cndn funds the Vostro Slimline is quite a bit cheaper.

Vosto Slimline with 2.66 Core2Duo, 2 gigs, 250GB HD, Vista HP: $430

Studio Slim with 2.66 Core2Duo, 2 gigs, 500GB HD, Vista HP: $600

Dell hits you masively with the cost of HD upgrades - they want $100 extra for an upgrade to 500 gigs, and a whopping $470 for an upgrade to a TB - who the hell do they think they're kidding? Better to buy an additoinal 500GB HD for $60 Cndn, then you have 750GB of storage for under $500.

Of course if you want a quad, then the Studio Slim.

Damn those are nice cases on the Vostro though, really nice and clean.

Hey Guys, Quick question what are you using to monitor temps??? Preferrebly cheap. I tried out the NVidia System Monitor(no Temps) and also the Speed fan, but it only seems to get my CPU. I would think the motherboard would have more temp points then that.
Thanks ahead of time.

P.S. I am loving this little guy, fits great in our entertainment center and runs pretty dang nicely. Thursday though my XFX 9500GT should show up. I am excited.

Hey Guys, Quick question what are you using to monitor temps??? Preferrebly cheap. I tried out the NVidia System Monitor(no Temps) and also the Speed fan, but it only seems to get my CPU. I would think the motherboard would have more temp points then that.
Thanks ahead of time.

P.S. I am loving this little guy, fits great in our entertainment center and runs pretty dang nicely. Thursday though my XFX 9500GT should show up. I am excited.

EVEREST Ultimate Edition

I find this excellent for o/c and even just temps, will tell you all tenps on any device with a heat sensor and even do some tests on your memory too.

Thanks, good review. Of note however is if you don't need 4 memory slots and stick to dual-core processors, at least in Cndn funds the Vostro Slimline is quite a bit cheaper.

The Vostro is a lot cheaper in the US as well. As to why the upgrades are so expensive, I know exactly what they are thinking: someone might fall for it :D

Perhaps we should move all Studio Slim discussions to the new thread?

Need a little help. I have a S3400F to which I installed a xfxgeforce 9500GT from Newegg. The card installed with the basic Vista drivers, but I cannot update the drivers. Whether I download the latest fron NVIDIA website, or from xfx website, have the computer update manually or try to install the drivers that came on the install CD, all cause the computer to crash and reboot. I don't get any error messages, and the driver works with the Vista drivers, but I know this card is capable of a lot more performance. Like I said the only mod is this video card so can anyone help me out here?

Try updating the nforce Chipset drivers, I was having some problems with Internet Sharing on my phone across USB(kept disconnecting), updated the drivers and *whola* works better. Try that first then update the Video.

OK I updated the chipset drivers from NVIDIA, but when I tried to install the video card drivers after it, the computer still crashes

So I was curious and of course...still...indecisive as is usual for me :p

I've heard mention of the XFX 9500GT (512MB) working successfully with the s3600t models and then low and behold I heard of this other Radeon HD 3650 (512MB) producing slightly similar results. I don't know enough about video cards to really compare them properly, but they both have decent reviews and they both seem to support a PSU of 180W.

So it seems pretty up in the air. They're about the same price and I've heard good things about both. Which would the good people of this thread recommend though?

tsmorty, I'm using CPUID Hardware Monitor right now, reliable and free...
With Everest I get 4 Temps. Is that what you are getting with CPUID HWMonitor? I do hope the MCP temp drops when I am no longer using the onboard Video

markster33139, I would make sure Vista is up to date, as well as you have the latest bios(I am not sure what the latest one is. When you say crash, do you mean bluescreen or does it lock up? Does it do this during the install of the updated driver, or after you reboot? What antivirus do you have? I might try disabling it while the drivers is installing. Just trying to get some more info.

Blaire I will be getting the XFX 9500GT 512MB on thursday. I will let you know how things go. I will also be using external USB wireless(sucking a tad more power). I am using the AMD version (160Watt). I will have my wife test it for a little then I will drive it home Saturday playing some more intense game at higher res and settings. I'll keep you updated.

The computer crashes during installation of the driver. I have the latest BIOS 5.18, and Vista is up to date. I have not tried installing with the Antivirus turned off, so I will give that a try

Thank you morty :)
I won't have to make my 'final' decision until after Christmas, but until then I'll see what you have to say about the 9500GT. It was my original interest, but I didn't know if the other might be a tad bit better AND it is cheaper, but not by much.

I read a review comparing them and I think someone said that it was preferable to get the Radeon one for long-term usage, but that the 9500GT was better. So I guess we shall see! :eek:

I should also add that by crash I get the bluescreen and then the computer re-starts, and my antivirus is Mcafee. Thanks again

markster33139 I am assuming since it is vista it reboots right after showing you the bluescreen. What you need is all the info it shows at the top of the bluescreen. Since It reboots you can grab it from the Event Viewer instead.
Goto Control Panel>System and Maintenance>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer
Go Windows Logs>System
In the System Log you should be able to go back and find the Error, I can't remember if it calls it a system dump, crash, or bluecreen. Just look till you get to about that time, also check the application to see if you can derive anything about the driver update crashing. When you get that info come back here and let us know.

Blaire,I'll also take a look at comparing those two cards when I get a chance at work. Been busy hectic, I guess that's what I get for being the only IT guy for a city. :)

360Spider

i look at your picture of the instalation of the fsp bossterx3 but iut not enough for me can you send more picture of how instal it and wich sata power connector dit you take for the molex convertion the one from the dvd drive??? and the 2 six pin pci-e did you plug only one ??? thanks for all :L

360Spider

And did you find a way to install the usb fan in the case
can i put them on the side panel or that will close the airflow??

360Spider
what that could help me it put some color on the pciture with paint shop for show me what to do because sometime i dont understand all or if you talk french answer me that way lol

tsmorty, yes, I get 4 temp readings (Core 1 and 2, GPU and HDD) with CPUID. I've just compared it with those same readings from nVidia System Monitor and they're quite similar but this one makes my system awake with a crash!

Blaire, still undecided? Look, until 4xxx series, ATI never matched nVidia's 3D power, so, it's not a good purchase HD3650 over 9500GT, the first one is from last generation video cards from ATI: it doesn't do the same job and consumes a lot more than 9500GT! But, if you consider the new HD4650/4670 low profile (if you can find it, and let me know) that will be your best bet...

3 Posts Soulfly? Next time just use the edit button. It make's it much easier for me.:p

360Spider

i look at your picture of the instalation of the fsp bossterx3 but iut not enough for me can you send more picture of how instal it and wich sata power connector dit you take for the molex convertion the one from the dvd drive??? and the 2 six pin pci-e did you plug only one ??? thanks for all :L

I installed the power booster drive upside down because the wires coming out the back of it, if it would have been in the correct way, would have been entirely way to close to the CPU fan. By flipping the booster, the majority of the wires coming out the back of the booster would not have been near the fan and would not risk creating any problems. I did convert the SATA cable from the CD/DVD drive. The only other one is the HDD anyways... The booster has 2, 6-pin PCI-e power cables coming out of it. The reason for that is because the power booster is meant to supply power to 2 video cards in an SLI setup. Since we're not using 2 cards, and the only card we do have has only have 1 PCI-e power plug on it, we're only going to use 1 of the power supply cables coming out of the power booster. The other one you can just tuck away.

360Spider

And did you find a way to install the usb fan in the case
can i put them on the side panel or that will close the airflow??

Yes, the fan does fit either inside the case or outside it. If you do decide to put the fans inside the case, you will have to relocate your Wi-Fi Adapter because that will be in the way.

360Spider
what that could help me it put some color on the pciture with paint shop for show me what to do because sometime i dont understand all or if you talk french answer me that way lol

I have absolutely no idea what you just said and I do not speak French. I'm sorry.

anybody here tried upgrading the processor? just upgraded to a 9500gt, works without a hitch..anyways, someone's selling me a e7300 would that work with the slimline? and oh, is the processor even upgradeable at all? ive upgraded almost all of the parts on my slimline but im too scared to touch the mobo..haha..

i have a hp slimline and asking my self if i could boot from a usb flash drive or a hdd usb or i should do a bios update???? and what M2NC51-AR motherboard bios do

SoulFly - I am sure you could boot using either.

drpenicilin - I am running CPUID Hardware Monitor and only getting 3 Temps, 2 for the AMD Cores and one ACPI - THRM. Although it has 2 other items Hardware monitor ID= 0x19340507 & NVIDIA Mainboard. But neither have anything under them.

Under Everest I get
CPU
CPU #1 / Core #1
CPU #1 / Core #2
MCP

Wierdly no HDD

tsmorty
i ran the bios and no usb boot option only floppy,hdd,cdrom and network boot because i want to install xp or vista on a usb device but a the welcome screen for 2 second windows shut the power of usb port so that my probllem

SoulFly - I am sure you could boot using either.

drpenicilin - I am running CPUID Hardware Monitor and only getting 3 Temps, 2 for the AMD Cores and one ACPI - THRM. Although it has 2 other items Hardware monitor ID= 0x19340507 & NVIDIA Mainboard. But neither have anything under them.

Under Everest I get
CPU
CPU #1 / Core #1
CPU #1 / Core #2
MCP

Wierdly no HDD

hi you can add extra items for temps in the options in everest. If you get stuck just shout.

Well, I got my XFX 9500 GT 512MB DDR2 last night. Got it installed. The only problem I have is that for me to run it's primary adapter as VGA I have to use the supplied adapter. Which caused it to be deeper then I wanted in the Cabninet. So I had to flip it sideways in our entertainments system.

One thing I did extra though was to remove the USB MASS Storage adapter. I will never use it(will keep it stored for when I seel it) That should allow provide some better air flow for the HD as well as the Graphics Card. After Christmas I will have some better games, but my wife plays Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 Platinum and Sims 2. I jumped it and cranked the settings all the way up, and increased the resolution to the top(widescreen as well). It plays awesome no stuttering or anything,not what I expected. I can't wait to slap a game that I can enjoy on this guy to see it's graphic prowness. Heat appeared to be fine it hit 81C - (GPU) after an hour of that. I have my wife running HWMonitor in the background to keep track of the max temp after playing longer today. Power doesn't seem to be a problem. Ask if you have any questions.

Dave thanks for letting me know I will add those sensors to see all of what I get in Everest.
Thanks
Todd

So it looks like everyone is getting something like the one tsmorty got, which I found at newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150319

The price isn't bad and it looks about right. It's probably as good as it's going to get.
I just wish there were more reviews on it! Why are there practically no reviews? Is it relatively new or something? Did you need any special brackets morty? Or did you just use the ones it came with fine?

So it looks like everyone is getting something like the one tsmorty got, which I found at newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150319

The price isn't bad and it looks about right. It's probably as good as it's going to get.
I just wish there were more reviews on it! Why are there practically no reviews? Is it relatively new or something? Did you need any special brackets morty? Or did you just use the ones it came with fine?
Like many others on ths thread, I have the same card, and it is good. There are no reviews on Newegg because all the reviews are already here! As for brackets, just get the free XFX low-profile bracket kit that is part of the combo deal. That kit has all you need to put the card into your slimline.

It doesn't say that the kit comes with it. I'm just guessing that it does, but even if it doesn't, I could order it. Either that or I could just call new egg and make sure that they ship one.

I just wanted to make sure is all! I'm a little green when it comes to computers but if people say that it works than I believe them. I just take more stock in the advice of those who have tried it and know that it works rather than those who speculate that it should work.

If I'm going to buy a close to $100 card I should hope that it works with little fuss!
Idealistic thinking I guess :p
I will order it right away then!

And if this card really IS all that and a bag of potato chips, then I will leave my own 2 cents on new egg!!

It doesn't say that the kit comes with it. I'm just guessing that it does, but even if it doesn't, I could order it. Either that or I could just call new egg and make sure that they ship one.
Read the product page carefully. Scroll down to the part where it says "combo deals". You will see that you can buy the card and the XFX low-profile bracket kit for the same price of the card -- the bracket is free. Just make sure you place an order on the combo deal.

The Combo deal appears to be gone. Make sure you purchase the adapter though. I would recommend when you get it taking out that HP USB Storage cage to assist circulation.

Temps for me have been good so far. What's the safe range for these?

Hi guys ... decided to pop back in here after having been gone for a while. Amazed to see that this thread is going as strong as ever. Although I don’t see “Archaea” around in recent posts it seems.

Anyway, my Chaintech 8600GT started acting up – the fan was making awful noises. So I swapped it out for an XFX 9400GT. Everything works great.

Question though – what happens if you never end up installing the nForce chipset? I had done a fresh install recently. I am running Vista x64 and everything seems fine. Do I need to re-run a fresh install?

A couple of things here:

1) What does the USB storage cage do? I would like to know before I take it out.

2) Does the adapter come with it? I see a white plug that looks like it's a part of the box set that might be what you're referring to or is it something that you order additionally when you are finally making the purchase?

:confused:

Back