The highly rated HP Pavilion Slimline PC thread

Another hiccup is the connector for the PSU, but there are adapters out there.

Tried two different adapters for the connector... I came up with this after staring at the board for 5 minutes. Great idea... but no dice.

You tried all 8 combinations, right?
- Old Mobo Old PSU w/ GPU
- Old Mobo Old PSU w/o GPU
- Old Mobo New PSU w/ GPU
- Old Mobo New PSU w/o GPU
- New Mobo Old PSU w/ GPU
- New Mobo Old PSU w/o GPU
- New Mobo New PSU w/ GPU
- New Mobo New PSU w/o GPU

And it *still* doesn't work?

Maybe it's your BIOS / Windows / video drivers (video card & monitor) being corrupt?

I'd check there, starting with Windows Safe Mode.

Yes tried them all! Finished more than half a tube of thermal compound over the days trying all the combinations. How could the bios on two separate systems cause the same problem? If it was a driver problem, wouldn't the computer at least post?

or the mobo's chipset series (or BIOS) not playing nice with the video card's own BIOS (and it's addon bios initialization, in particular).

Thought about this too, but plenty of people have used that 5570, so I don't think it's the problem.

If that were the case, then one of the versions running onboard video should work.
Precisely... I'm totally dumbfounded.
I'd deinstall the new GPU drivers, reinstall the MoBo GPU drivers from HP's website, clean up the BIOS, and see if Windows Safe Mode could get it to work as VGA.

Still don't see how drivers can make a difference. I haven't installed them anyway. Also, I've tried every combination in BIOS, including disabling all the onboard things (audio, 1394, etc). I've even tried waiting a few minutes with it turned on... but no post at all. HD light doesn't even come on.

The only thing I can think of now, is that the new graphics card is defective, or somehow the mobo fried something on the graphics card on the first boot, but I highly doubt that.

You get video to set the BIOS, right, and then it fails once it goes to POST & HDD?

Maybe you need a new HDD?

Can you get it to boot from USB or CD/DVD?

I think the MoBo, GPU, CPU and PSU are all OK, and that your HDD or Windows is messed up.

You get video to set the BIOS, right, and then it fails once it goes to POST & HDD?

Maybe you need a new HDD?

Can you get it to boot from USB or CD/DVD?

I think the MoBo, GPU, CPU and PSU are all OK, and that your HDD or Windows is messed up.

It was my understanding that posting means seeing anything after turning on the computer. I turn on the computer with the video card in the slot and the monitor stays black. My comp can't even get to BIOS with a video card.

Yup onboard works perfectly, but who knows for how long...

I'm kinda worried it'll die on me soon. I'm thinking about building a new comp using the same chassis. Here's what I came up with, keeping the costs as low as possible, but using quality components that will last for a long time.

ASRock H67M-ITX LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I32100

Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model 996770

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

KWorld ATSC TV Stick UB435-Q USB 2.0 Interface (since mobo doesn't have PCI slot, only 1 graphics slot)

Total: $417.95

Last edited:
nice :cool: make sure the RAM clear the DVD; however, and you'll be forced to use the sotck HSF, due to the DVD drive and existing coolers LGA775 mount :(

nice :cool: make sure the RAM clear the DVD; however, and you'll be forced to use the sotck HSF, due to the DVD drive and existing coolers LGA775 mount :(

Yeah it will. I made sure it doesn't have any high fins... stock HSF should be fine!

Bought the aforementioned components. It'll be nice to have 8GB of ram and the i3-2100 in my tiny slimline box!

hi jeremyshaw i spoke to u earlier about getting a 5570 in my slimline 160w, it was sold out so i got a gt 220 will it work

Built the new computer... and it's smoking! Everything fits just fine, although there are a lot of cables all over the place. The Radeon 5570 I had bought works too. Don't know wtf the problem was with my HP build, but it's all in the past. Everything is even quieter now too, minus the hard drive. The onboard sound is better and the 5570 is such a big improvement.

Here are the windows experience index scores:
Processor: 7.1
RAM: 7.5
Graphics: 6.8
Gaming: 6.8
Disk: 5.9

Last edited:
omjeremy, did you change the MoBo, CPU, Ram and HDD without a problem from your original Windows? I mean, Windows accepted the changes or did you made a new install? I asked this before, but I want to be shure before changing my MoBo and CPU and you did it already! Thanks.

it will want reactiviation, but no HW/SW driver issues. If reactivation doesn't work, go the phone activation route.

omjeremy, did you change the MoBo, CPU, Ram and HDD without a problem from your original Windows? I mean, Windows accepted the changes or did you made a new install? I asked this before, but I want to be shure before changing my MoBo and CPU and you did it already! Thanks.

I tried using the old install on my former HD, but it wouldn't work. I've read how many people have gotten this to work, so I could be a fluke. Remember I had a lot of problems in the past. I decided to install from scratch onto the new HD.

it will want reactiviation, but no HW/SW driver issues. If reactivation doesn't work, go the phone activation route.

This. I actually by a mistake and installed the wrong version... it was a leaked MSDN pre release build. My product key wouldn't work. So I called up MS... they gave me a new code. When I realized my mistake, I just installed from scratch using the correct DVD and it worked perfectly.

I should note that I did not install the OS that came with my HP box. It was a full retail Windows 7 Ultimate. I got it for free from MS during a special promotion when Windows 7 was released.

Also, after loading the new OS, I just plugged in my old HD and copied the files I needed over. The mobo allows 4 SATA connections (2x 6.0, 2x 3.0). Onboard graphics is more than enough though for most users, unless you really like to game.

I'll try to take some pics eventually. It's not pretty in there though. I had to remove the front panel USB/Headphones in order to connect all the cables. Because the MOBO doesn't have a PCI slot, I have the front panel box peeking through the hole where the PCI slot is. Also, the DVD drive won't go all the way in because the CPU heatsink fan is in the way. Everything closes up neatly, but I'm careful not to push the DVD button too hard. It's not as bad as it sounds.

Does anyone know if the older 'silver' slimline PCs can take 1TB Hard disks and a Windows 7 install? (I know they have a 2GB RAM limit)

I'm thinking about purchasing an old used one to act as a SVN server for a small group of developers.

I'd like the flexibility to install Win 7 and/or Linux as opposed to going with XP/Vista.

Any info or advice appreciated.

you mean the S7000 series? Most used laptop CPUs with the 945GM chipset. 1TB HDD are supported, and so is windows 7. Most, if not all, of the drivers can be found via Windows Update automatically.

Does anyone know if the older 'silver' slimline PCs can take 1TB Hard disks and a Windows 7 install? (I know they have a 2GB RAM limit)

I'd like the flexibility to install Win 7 and/or Linux as opposed to going with XP/Vista.

I have dual 750 GB HDDs in my s7600n working fine (one replaces the ODD), but haven't bothered with Win7. The 2 GB RAM is a mobo limit, but fine for small work.

Linux should be no problem, but you'll need to check with others on Win 7.

Thinking about adding a SFF ODD because the chassis would fit it.

Hello, I'm brand new to the forum. I have a slimline s5360f that until recently has performed far beyond my expectations. It's primary use is as a media pc. I also do some gaming on it, mostly LOL and The Sims 3.

A few weeks ago I started having random crashes accompanied by a clicking noise, the pc ran fine upon hard restart. Then yesterday I went to class (leaving my pc on) as I usually do and when I came back it was off, and there was a slight plasticy smell in the room. I tried to boot it and the blue power led flashed and shut off immediately, there were not any fan movements or other noises usually associated with start up. The green led on the power supply was also off. I tired unplugging it and letting it sit for a while, I still didn't work when I tried it again.

I called in my roommate (computer science major) to take a look and we repeated the process, this time attempting to turn it on tripped the breaker in my room (no visible sparks or smoke, and no smell). He came to the conclusion that it was the power supply.

I found this forum by some miracle and was hoping that someone here could help me: 1. Make sure it is actually the power supply. And 2. I have no idea where to get one that will fit.

Please help, I love my slimline :(

Edit: I've been looking on my own, from my understanding of this forum I'm going to need. Can someone confirm this for me before I buy the parts? Any help is appreciated.
http://www.amazon.com/Molex-Power-Adapter-Cable-inches/dp/B000YJMB5Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1303873580&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/2024SMALLCONVERTER-Connector-Converter-Slimline-Supplies/dp/B003GMAVDK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1303873546&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/FSP-FSP270-60LE-80Plus-Power-Supply/dp/B0015PSYLQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1303873175&sr=1-3

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a dead s3300t that I am pretty sure is due to the motherboard. I want to reuse the case by throwing in a dirt cheap Zacate mini-ITX. The problem is the non-standard ATX power plug. I could buy them of these

http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/24-pin-to-20-pin-hp-slimline-atx-converter.php

but it costs $18.75 shipped. I don't see myself needing the small 24-pin plug ever. I plan on buying a $0.99 24-pin ATX extender, cut it up, and just wire the cable myself. Am I nuts?

Rewiring the cable will give a "better" electrical connection than the converter, as there's less wire, and less contacts to bridge.

In many cases, the pins can be "pulled" from the plastic housing and then simply moved to the correct location.

That said, if you rewire it *wrong*, that'd be a bad thing - you can do a lot of damage to a MoBo & CPU that way.,,

Hello, I'm brand new to the forum. I have a slimline s5360f that until recently has performed far beyond my expectations. It's primary use is as a media pc. I also do some gaming on it, mostly LOL and The Sims 3.

A few weeks ago I started having random crashes accompanied by a clicking noise, the pc ran fine upon hard restart. Then yesterday I went to class (leaving my pc on) as I usually do and when I came back it was off, and there was a slight plasticy smell in the room. I tried to boot it and the blue power led flashed and shut off immediately, there were not any fan movements or other noises usually associated with start up. The green led on the power supply was also off. I tired unplugging it and letting it sit for a while, I still didn't work when I tried it again.

I called in my roommate (computer science major) to take a look and we repeated the process, this time attempting to turn it on tripped the breaker in my room (no visible sparks or smoke, and no smell). He came to the conclusion that it was the power supply.

I found this forum by some miracle and was hoping that someone here could help me: 1. Make sure it is actually the power supply. And 2. I have no idea where to get one that will fit.

Please help, I love my slimline :(

Edit: I've been looking on my own, from my understanding of this forum I'm going to need. Can someone confirm this for me before I buy the parts? Any help is appreciated.
http://www.amazon.com/Molex-Power-Adapter-Cable-inches/dp/B000YJMB5Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1303873580&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/2024SMALLCONVERTER-Connector-Converter-Slimline-Supplies/dp/B003GMAVDK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1303873546&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/FSP-FSP270-60LE-80Plus-Power-Supply/dp/B0015PSYLQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1303873175&sr=1-3

I think your assumptions are correct. It seems like it's the power supply. If you want to make sure, just buy the slimline power adapter and buy a PSU from Staples that you can easily return or use a friend's PSU. The items you selected look good.

You also really do need the molex to sata adapter, because of the arragement of the hard drive and optical drive. The two sata power plugs are on the same cable and won't reach both.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Rewiring the cable will give a "better" electrical connection than the converter, as there's less wire, and less contacts to bridge.

In many cases, the pins can be "pulled" from the plastic housing and then simply moved to the correct location.

That said, if you rewire it *wrong*, that'd be a bad thing - you can do a lot of damage to a MoBo & CPU that way.,,

I have a cheap ATX power tester. So I can do a little verification before I plug it into the real MB.

But I am not planning to do what you described, one reason is that I think the stock PSU cable is not long enough if the MB socket is not located right next to the PSU like the Irvine board. My plan is to yank out the pins (the male pin inside the female connector of ATX extender) and plug all of them directly into the PSU's ATX cable. I see a lot of description of yanking the female sockets within the male connector (PSU portion) but not the other way around.

Tried Crysis 2 on my new box... It's playable, but it could be a whole lot better. Crysis 1 plays pretty well on high at 1680x1050.

edit:

Completed Crysis 2 on Very High mode, windowed at 1440x900 was the best mode. It was perfectly playable. There was only a few times where things were too slow. Also, the cut scenes with the map were really laggy, especially with the voiceover. But besides that, it was fun. I was really impressed by what my little computer could do. Crysis 2 graphics are pretty damn awesome.

Last edited:
I finally got a 3rd monitor, so I'm running my slimline in tri-head mode:

1024x768 on the Nvidia GeForce 6510 LE (left)
1920x1080p on the ATI Radeon 2400 (center)
1024x768 on the ATI Radeon 2400 (right)

For some reason the Nvidia was only showing 800x600 with 4-bit color (when it worked fine before). Seems like Nvidia doesn't play well with the big kids. Stupid Nvidia. Driver update fixed it, so OK, I guess.

The only bad thing is it'd be a lot of work to physically rotate the small displays to get 768+1920+768 x 1024/1080...

Oh, well... Tri-head means my desk is full of monitors, so loving that!

Last edited:
That's a neat trick, and if I had all old 17s, I'd do it.

As my secondary monitors are old & small (hence 1024x768), capping the big screen at 1024x768 wouldn't be good.

Thanks for the pointer, tho.

New HP Slimline

HP_Pavilion_Slimline%2C_wireless_keyboard_and_mouse%2C_left_facing_610x569.jpg

The author of the article stated his disappointment that the Slimline's size didn't shrink.

CNET said:
We're ambivalent about the bread-and-butter Pavilion, but we confess some disappointment in the new Slimline s5 design. It too looks like a cleaner version of the previous model, but with smaller systems like Apple's Mac Mini, and Dell's Zino Inspiron HD performing capably in the living room, we'd hoped HP might trim down the Slimline's measurements. It's still also larger than Gateway's SX slim tower series, which has traditionally offered all of the configurability of the Slimline series, but with a significantly smaller chassis. We like the new front panel well enough, but based on the preview we saw a few months ago, the new Slimline is unnecessarily large.

The Slimline s5 will hit HP's Web site a bit later than the Pavilion, appearing online June 15. Prices start at $329, with both AMD and Intel CPU options.

The author of the article stated his disappointment that the Slimline's size didn't shrink.

+1

I bet it still only has 2 expansion slots. No innovations what-so-ever. Maybe that's why they dropped from s5000 to s5. Because they are walking backward. I hope they are not stupid enough to remove the memory card slots.

+1

I bet it still only has 2 expansion slots. No innovations what-so-ever. Maybe that's why they dropped from s5000 to s5. Because they are walking backward. I hope they are not stupid enough to remove the memory card slots.

they seem to have :( Maybe new HP monitors that go in those bundles will have them built in....

as for the size, it's because HP decided on mATX with a SFX12V PSU blocking the lower two slots, instead of a true DTX or mITX form factor :(

Oh, well. The market has opened up significantly since HP started out with the S7000 and the once powerful S3000 series. I still have my S3430f (upgraded, of course) sitting here, but it's sitting useless, as I have two mITX builds in SG05/06 case faster, yet slighly lessor volume - and that's comparing to the smaller S3000, not even the massive S5000 line. The S5000 lineup has one nice side effect: semi decent PSU options from Seasonic (maxes out at 350W, however :(), and mATX mobo means some beefy setups can be put in them. However, I feel like HP has failed to really push the boundries again. Maybe in the future :)

Perhaps HP can go back to the original s7000-sized case. That small step back would be a big step forward....

HP earnings dip

Despite an increase in revenue in every other segment of the company's business, HP's Personal Systems Group (which covers enterprise and consumer sales) saw revenue decline five percent year-over-year, with the portion covering consumer computers down 23 percent.

I wonder why!

+1

Yep, that is a disappointment. Makes you wonder why HP didn't innovate more w/ the Slimline. Good point on the model # decrease. :D

Back