The Inside of my Danger Den 8800GTX block

Appa

2[H]4U
Here is food for though for the Danger Den haters on this forum. Check out the inside of my DD 8800GTX waterblock. Hmm, not a single machine mark. :confused:

Looks to me like it's forged, judging by the surface of the inside. It's completely smooth to the touch, when wet it feels like glass.

Just thought I'd share these. :)

I have super high res images of these if anyone wants them, just PM and I'll email them to you. 10 megapixel.

John&

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

Wow, I'm really glad I ordered the ek block instead of this.... what was danger den thinking :confused:

Its machined, it just looks like they used sand/media blasting to roughen the surface.

Please tell us WHY. For those of us that are trying to learn, people need to describe why and be specific.

What specifically does "not look good"? Why, from a milling and machining standpoint is this design inferior to the EK block? What about this design would cause it to perform sub-par?

I've actually made my living IN a machine shop as an apprentice machinist and I don't see anything wrong with that block. There are no burrs nor obvious machine marks and it's not all shiny which is horrible for the insides of a water block. A matte finish on the metal of the block is much better for killing the boundary layer of the water. Those EK blocks may look all pretty but in terms of performance they're at a disadvantage just for that very reason.

I've actually made my living IN a machine shop as an apprentice machinist and I don't see anything wrong with that block. There are no burrs nor obvious machine marks and it's not all shiny which is horrible for the insides of a water block. A matte finish on the metal of the block is much better for killing the boundary layer of the water. Those EK blocks may look all pretty but in terms of performance they're at a disadvantage just for that very reason.

I have a mill and a lathe in my workshop. I do not make a living using these tools, so I must defer to you. I can only state that what I see from the pics, they are not what I would produce for myself. However, the parts that I produce are for my use.

No problem. Having squandered two years of my life as a hydraulics tech I know a bit about the pluses and minuses of laminar flow. Laminar flow through tubing is good, laminar flow through a water block or heat exchanger is bad.

Oh, and as a handy reference, for every fitting in your loop add 2" to each side of the fitting in terms of tubing measurement on top of the length of tubing and fitting measured. Say your loop has 3' of tubing 3 water blocks, a pump and a T line. Take each item plumbed into the loop and multiply that by 2 and multiply that number by 2" so in the instance of the loop in question that's 20" additional that's seen by the pump. That's a trick I learned in one of my hydraulics classes for calculating tubing runs for figuring in the impact of fittings on your flow. The fittings break up the boundary layer and cause turbulence and that's why the addition of length to the loop.

not much extra surface area over the core though, danger den seems to be trying to skimp on the metal and use more plastic.

I have a mill and a lathe in my workshop. I do not make a living using these tools, so I must defer to you. I can only state that what I see from the pics, they are not what I would produce for myself. However, the parts that I produce are for my use.

If you're making impingement blocks you want a smooth finish inside the jets to maximize the velocity through the blocks and IIRC you make impingement blocks for your personal use. They have a different method of operation than a smooth labyrinth block does. Look at the maze 4 GPU block for example, it's also bead blasted to give a rougher texture to the block. It's that way for a reason, the texture plays a vital role in helping the block perform better.

The machining looks fine to me. However I still stand by the opinion that the core area is horrendous at best. The EK block has more fins, larger core area, and the fins aren't straight through, the water has to go through wavy channels which helps to break up the flow where it counts, over the core.

Ever thought this might be a "good" batch of blocks? Maybe DD put some pressure on their CNC guys to quite taking short cuts.

Ever thought this might be a "good" batch of blocks? Maybe DD put some pressure on their CNC guys to quite taking short cuts.

Or the earlier block we saw was one that missed bead blasting...or possibly prototypical that somehow ended up in retail channels. Hard to tell what happened.

I guess you missed the reply from DD that said that block that was posted earlier was one of the first batches. The problems had long since been corrected and DD has been media blasting the inside channels of the blocks for some time now.

Nice try though....

Back