The Internet Is Killing The Post Office

Oh, I know Netflix would jump on board, but you'd have to upgrade your plan since you'd lose three delivery days, so Netflix would have to lower prices if they wanted to keep customers.

"sorry republicans are scared of change, ever watch family guy?"

:rolleyes: Riggghhhht. I bet you consider the Simpsons real life to, eh? Anyways, I think the last time I was in a post office, the wait was worse then the last time I was in a DMV office. :D

Of the 6 mailing days a week, there is something in my mailbox maybe 3 of those days. And at least one of those three days everything in the mailbox ends up in the trash can outside my house, not even making it inside. So I get mail twice a week.

Cut delivery by 50%. Do delivery on mon, wed, fri. I'd be OK with that. The USPS' recent report said that dropping 1 delivery day would cut their budget deficit in half. So why not just go ahead and eliminate 3 delivery days and have a budget surplus.

I'm pretty sure that would kill A LOT of businesses. I don't know if anyone could effectively summarize how bad of an idea that would be in less than 100 pages.

I will say that it would probably have a very negative impact on business mail, which in turn would have a negative impact on the post office, thus pretty much finishing it off. So much for saving money!

"hey louis look i'm the republican party symbol.."
"an elephant and a big fat white guy scared of change."

lol. sorry i don't care what parties you are but the older people get in america they tend to get more republican, scared of change and deny their future usage of free public healthcare (that 90% of senior citizens in nursing homes use... i know since i work in healthcare IT)

not sure what any of this has to do with the postal service. just wanted an excuse to quote family guy.

I'm pretty sure that would kill A LOT of businesses. I don't know if anyone could effectively summarize how bad of an idea that would be in less than 100 pages.

I will say that it would probably have a very negative impact on business mail, which in turn would have a negative impact on the post office, thus pretty much finishing it off. So much for saving money!

I'm not sure what businesses it would "kill". If a business relys on cashing their AR checks on a daily basis, then they are probably ready to fold any day to begin with. I also don't know of any business that relys on USPS for important overnight or even 2 day delivery of documents. These should be handled by UPS/FedEx or desgnated courier.

In all reality, I'm not really thinking about businesses when I make a statement like that. The USPS could easily (well not "easily" but you get the idea) implement a Commercial/Residential delivery system as is how UPS/FedEx does it now. Or a business could pay for the ability to get mail on non-designated days. Mail going to a residence is rarely "Time Sensitive" so there would be little to no impact to them.

There would be a lot of pissed off FSFT'ers though :D

I can think of no less than 1,000,000 reasons why I wouldn't want them to have my SSN.
I know, but it's the credit card industry. They'll do anything they can to keep sending you crap. "What's this? No SSN? He's an imposter! Keep sending "him" credit card offers."

"hey louis look i'm the republican party symbol.."
"an elephant and a big fat white guy scared of change."

lol. sorry i don't care what parties you are but the older people get in america they tend to get more republican, scared of change and deny their future usage of free public healthcare (that 90% of senior citizens in nursing homes use... i know since i work in healthcare IT)

not sure what any of this has to do with the postal service. just wanted an excuse to quote family guy.
:rolleyes:

Go to the GenMay forum. Right now this is just trolling.

I'm not sure what businesses it would "kill". If a business relys on cashing their AR checks on a daily basis, then they are probably ready to fold any day to begin with. I also don't know of any business that relys on USPS for important overnight or even 2 day delivery of documents. These should be handled by UPS/FedEx or desgnated courier.
Yep, I agree. Pretty much how it works here. IMO USPS getting into the same services UPS and FedEx are in would turn out disastrous and actually more expensive...

I have two post offices withing 1/4 mile of me. That's stupid, and honestly if you fired all the crap workers from both, you wind up with one pretty good post office in terms of employees.

I hope one of those 677 lost jobs is my mailman.

I agree with these sentiements. Most of the delivery services are limited by the retards that do the local deliveries. I hope all of mine get fired and never work anywhere important again. I think it will be a good thing to get rid of some of the worse run USPS offices to consolidate into fewer better ran offices.

After working in the post office earlier in life, if they want to save money, the first thing they should do is fire EVERYONE who is a regular. 90% of regular postal workers sit in the break room and sleep or play cards.

The casuals (temps that get paid a half to a third hourly and get no OT) are the people that actually move the mail.

I knew a postal worker that "worked" 80 hours a week and made 110,000 bucks a year. He slept in his car most of the night and when it was time for morning dispatch, he moved big metal containers of mail across the room.

Fuck postal workers, and fuck the postal unions.

I agree with these sentiements. Most of the delivery services are limited by the retards that do the local deliveries. I hope all of mine get fired and never work anywhere important again. I think it will be a good thing to get rid of some of the worse run USPS offices to consolidate into fewer better ran offices.

This is a pretty stupid sentiment. The delivery folks are the hardest working people in the post office. They HAVE to do their shit. The people that keep them "supplied" (see my previous comment) are the ones that should be fired.

i'll stay on topic...

anyone think they need to innovate rather than downsize? sometimes i wonder if its just poor bureaucracy like who decided to build the solid steel building in milwaukee in the 60's that is now 100% rusted sheet metal. (USPS downtown)

After working in the post office earlier in life, if they want to save money, the first thing they should do is fire EVERYONE who is a regular..

Unfortunately it is next to impossible to fire someone from the APWU, regardless of their job performance.

USPS guy saved my grandma's life after a stroke.... called 911...

but my grandma is a b**** so i don't know what to think of USPS.

mwarps: it sucks... can't fire bad employees and good employees are treated the same as the norm.

Of the 6 mailing days a week, there is something in my mailbox maybe 3 of those days. And at least one of those three days everything in the mailbox ends up in the trash can outside my house, not even making it inside. So I get mail twice a week.

This is not a half bad idea. I agree with Dudeitsme that this would be really bad for business mail.

So my solution little more complicated:
1. deliver/pickup residential mail 3 days a week mon,wed,fri.
2. deliver business mail everyday.
3. have an additional fee for residents that want mail everyday say 5-10 dollars a month. for your home business/netflix junkies

they drop a lot of cost for only going out 3 days a week to the majority of houses and generate additional money from the people that just cant wait 1 day for there mail.

explain to me how/why this would not work.

or screw it take all the money that the USPS gets and create a giant super scanner email server and all your mail gets opened scanned and emailed to you in pdf the day it gets dropped off at the post office, that does not help jobs but going bankrupt isnt helping either.

I have read the list of the ones they are considering closing. All I can say is some of the most busy ones are listed on there (Honolulu). They are fucking crazy if they think all these Hawaiians sending stuff to the mainland will tollerate it especially at Christmas.

The internets is why I went to the post office two hours ago and mailed 10 packages, one to Turkey, one to Germany! As well as 8 others around the US! It's more like I make the people waiting in line get mad when they see me walk in and drop off the packages without waiting in line lol.

So my solution little more complicated:
1. deliver/pickup residential mail 3 days a week mon,wed,fri.
2. deliver business mail everyday.
3. have an additional fee for residents that want mail everyday say 5-10 dollars a month. for your home business/netflix junkies

That'd be OK, however you'd still have to have your trucks, flights, etc running the mail. The only cost you'd really be cutting is your carriers.

"sorry i don't care what parties you are but the older people get in america they tend to get more republican, QUOTE]

So that's why the AARP is such a huge supporter of the Republican party...Oh, wait that give about 99% to Democrats

As for the post office, with the exception of Netflix, 2 days a week would be fine with me.

Once Netflix can start streaming most movies, or allow me to cache several movies to my laptop drive si I can watch them later where I don't have internet access, then I really won't need the post office to deliver every day.

I say privatize it. Put it out to bid and let free enterprise take care of it. Not everything can be handled by privatization, but the USPS is one of the things that safely can be imho.

I don't even think of the USPS when it comes time to ship a package these days. It's always UPS or FEDEX for me anyway for that, so why not my mail as well?

This describes my attitude perfectly:

The US Postal Service is the most underpriced/ best value added service in the world. People complain about first class postage rates where a letter goes coast to coast in two days for under 50 cents. They then turn around and pay FX or UPS 8 to 10 dollars for one day delivery when in fact one day delivery is not required.

Get wise and raise first class rates and junk mail rates (I know USPS does not like that term) to cover more or all of the costs. Return the posal service to a full governement operation and don't expect it to cover all costs of this valuable service.

sorry republicans are scared of change, ever watch family guy?

and duh umm he is republican. whats up with hardocp members being backward yocals lately?

oh wait you must be republican PEOPLE DON'T HAVE OPINIONS THERE JUST SHEEP DUH

Obvious troll is obvious

I just went to my local post office as to give them a shot sending something to a friend in Canada. Then after 5 minutes I realized why I used UPS all these years when shipping things. I hope they all shut down.

The USPS is a service that can't die yet simply because there are tons of people who still rely on it - such as the 80-year-old grandmas who pays bills by mail. UPS and FedEx can't replace it unless they develop a service that's as easy and cheap as sticking a stamp on an envelope and dropping it in a mailbox.

I really like USPS, its my first choice. I use FedEx, and UPS alot as well. But USPS almost never fails, and is often the cheapest of the bunch. Only when sending to businesses that have an account with UPS, or FedEx it may be cheaper.

They are closing the post office near me, which makes me pretty sad, because it was within walking distance, now I really have to drive, or take a bus to go to it. Its always full too, so it must be bad management, overall I hope they sort out their problems, because like I said, its definitely the best in cost/value.

I really really love the flat rate domestic service.

UPS, or FedEx is faster since there's less people.

USPS isn't "disappearing anytime soon" because it is a constitutionally-created government monopoly. Otherwise, it would go out of business. If only. These idiots can't make money in a business selling a service everyone needs in which they have no competition and a guarantee from the US taxpayer to keep them alive, including paying one of their most expensive costs: Retirement and healthcare.

Meanwhile, the USPS contracts with FedEx and UPS - both of whom manage to be very profitable - to help transport its mail. And FedEx and UPS would love to deliver your mail if it were legal to do so. They would be able to deliver packages much cheaper than they do now, since they would be going to your house every day anyway. Meanwhile, USPS squanders this advantage by telling customers that they have to call for a separate truck to come get packages! My mailcarrier scolds me if I expect her to pick-up a package. "You have to call ahead for that." Probably some union thing.

Welcome to the lazy, spoiled, entitlement-mentality, do the minimum government employee. The best argument against government-run healthcare.

Actually a lot of you are very wrong in your assumptions. I was on a Postal contract for over 4 years so I saw a lot of what is eating away at the USPS.

The number one money maker for Postal is the BRM or Bulk Rate Mail. BRM is all the lovely junk mail you receive or a bill (which is worse then junk mail ;) ). It's something like 89+% of their income.

Normal First Class mail like a letter is actually a very small percentage of their yearly income.

So it's not e-mail that's killing Postal, but the Internet is playing a role due to things like paperless online bill paying. Likewise most junk mail are ads for local grocery chains or a Walgreens type store. Why print and send that junk mail when they can spam you via Google with their ads instead?

Also to the comments about not raising rates on anything else but the stamp. Again you're wrong. Stamps, Priority mail rates, parcel post rates, international rates, BRM rates and the rest, all of it has gone up. Especially over the last 2-3 years. Stamps are just the most visible.

Postal also has to pay out on the pensions and benefits for their employees and retirees which is a few billion dollars a year and growing. On top of it Postal wasn't allowed to make profit for many, many years. Meaning they couldn't save money for the future.

So it's not just the Internet. It's a number of things and the economy isn't helping because the levels of BRM have gone down with the economy as companies try to save money.

USPS probably isn't disappearing anytime soon but you will see then have to drastically change the way they do things.

I really like USPS, its my first choice. I use FedEx, and UPS alot as well. But USPS almost never fails, and is often the cheapest of the bunch.

Uh, USPS is "cheaper" if you don't count the $7 billion in tax dollars they will need to stay alive this year, above and beyond the taxpayer-provided healthcare and retirement they get normally. You see, most businesses (e.g., FedEx, UPS) pay taxes. USPS receives tax dollars. So no, not cheaper, not by a longshot. You just don't see the hidden costs.
UPS, or FedEx is faster since there's less people.

They are faster because they are efficient, private sector enterprises that can fire lazy, surly employees, and they have to make a profit or they disappear, none of which applies to the USPS. If they were coming to your house anyway like USPS, they would be even faster!

You know, I have though about building a small steam turbine and coupling it to a generator. Just think, you could apply for all the publishers clearing house non-sense and other crap like catalogs from everywhere and start using the junk mail as fuel for the boiler.:D You know, just do whatever I can to get as much free paper as possible. That should help out the post office a bit. Though they may get tired of delivering a hundred pounds of junk mail to my house six days a week.:p

This is a pretty stupid sentiment. The delivery folks are the hardest working people in the post office. They HAVE to do their shit. The people that keep them "supplied" (see my previous comment) are the ones that should be fired.

It's nowhere as stupid as your assumption that they are "the hardest working people in the post office." Your sample does not represent my population. The local delivery guys are truckin retards and I have stories for days about them. The point I do want to make is that most of the time these locals mess up with USPS but UPS and Fedex are not safe either. I've had truckups from all three of them and they all dealt with the dumbass local delivery guy in the end.

Back