The Navy Just Christened Its Most Futuristic Ship Ever

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you think the rail gun we featured earlier this week was drop-dead sexy from a technological standpoint, wait until you get a look at the ship it will be based on. The newest ship in the Navy is also the most advanced and at $7 Billion, it should be. Welcome the USS Zumwalt to the fleet.

Why are none of the monitors/workstations in the control room secured?

taxpayer money well spent :rolleyes:

I know right, what a waste of tax payer money. Wait until those 13 billion dollar aircraft carries are built.

Can't afford nothing here at home but waging war and the war machine we have plenty over flowing cash.

The skipper of the Zumwalt will be none other than a real-life Capt. James Kirk, although he's of no relation to the fictional Kirk of "Star Trek" fame.

Ummmmm.......I guess there might be a handful of folks to think he really was related. Should have renamed it the Enterprise for shens.

That's a lot more than a space shuttle costs.

Less likely to blow up though, and likely to last a lot longer.

But seriously, the military needs to spend less money playing around in the sand and getting soldiers killed for no reason and more money making sure our military has these crazy scifi toys to deter the few potential enemies we have left.

We literally spent more just running the air conditioning in Iraq than we spent on these Zumwalt class ships.

The largest ships ever built for the Royal Australian Navy

I had to do a double-take when I read that. Canberra class has a displacement of 27,100 long tons, they only have one, and that is the biggest ship in the Australian Navy?.

To compare, our 8 wasp-class LHD ships are 40,500 long tones, the new America class LHD is 45,000 long tones, and our 10 Nimitz Class aircraft carriers are ~105,000 long tones each, almost 4x the Canberra class :p

Btw. Anyone wanna throw out estimates of percentage of posts internet wide that reference "They build a $7B weapon but we ain't got no money at home"... Guessing since it's the internet at least 75%.

Funny though, these people that "ain't got no money at home" still have enough to pay for a computer and the internet. Weird.

I had to do a double-take when I read that. Canberra class has a displacement of 27,100 long tons, they only have one, and that is the biggest ship in the Australian Navy?.

To compare, our 8 wasp-class LHD ships are 40,500 long tones, the new America class LHD is 45,000 long tones, and our 10 Nimitz Class aircraft carriers are ~105,000 long tones each, almost 4x the Canberra class :p

Doesn't mean it still isn't a cool boat :p We just don't have the 300+ million people to collect tax revenue off to buy a Carrier. :D

Also the HMAS Adelaide should be commissioned by 2016 so we'll have a whole two by then :p

I know right, what a waste of tax payer money. Wait until those 13 billion dollar aircraft carries are built.

Can't afford nothing here at home but waging war and the war machine we have plenty over flowing cash.
There are economic benefits from the ability to project power though, which history has proven should be obvious. Why is Russia getting access to the Crimean Peninsula, which happens to be the gateway to the mediterranean, black sea, and indian ocean? Because they asked nicely, or because they are slowly but surely using the threat of military force to weasel their way in, the way a huge guy on steroids can push his way through a door into a room.

It can also actually be cheaper to have overwhelming technological military superiority, as it avoids arms races and wars entirely as other nations that might otherwise rise up see the overwhelming capability of force as something they can't match so they don't even try.

So no random destroyer sunk here or carrier lost here and so forth as they recognize that an attack on one is an attack on a giant that can bring to bear overwhelming military prowess and wipe out your entire infrastructure.

If the US were to reduce military spending too drastically, what is to say that Russia and China wouldn't fill that power vacuum and start expanding their empires rapidly? China may have a big army right now, but they really have no way to project power, and they know they lag so far behind the US that they don't even try. If they did try, it could lead to a cold war, and that could have dire economic costs for the US as well.

Of course on the other hand when you constantly feed the military industrial complex, they have to justify their existence, and so it becomes more and more difficult to keep the peace as they find excuses to test their men and equipment... alas we have multiple engagements in the middle-east as our testing grounds.

So its certainly a complicated issue.

Doesn't mean it still isn't a cool boat :p We just don't have the 300+ million people to collect tax revenue off to buy a Carrier. :D

Also the HMAS Adelaide should be commissioned by 2016 so we'll have a whole two by then :p

Disney boat is 128,000 tons. ;)

Funny though, these people that "ain't got no money at home" still have enough to pay for a computer and the internet. Weird.
And that is a good point, as I'm more worried about the growing percentage of the population that contributes virtually nothing to society, but since their votes count equally are however VERY good at ensuring they keep electing officials that ensure they get their weekly handouts.

Right now we have 49% of Americans receiving some form of government aide:
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/ter...ns-get-gov-t-benefits-82m-households-medicaid

Those are millions upon millions of people that are being encouraged to be lazy, and who are breeding (often quite literally and rapidly) cultural changes regarding entitlement and work eith within the next generation to make matters worse.

So what is worse? Ancient egyptians wasting resources building the great pyramids, or half of ancient egyptians adopting a culture of laziness and lack of discipline and drive? I bet you can guess which one is more detrimental to the power and prestige of a nation.

And that is a good point, as I'm more worried about the growing percentage of the population that contributes virtually nothing to society, but since their votes count equally are however VERY good at ensuring they keep electing officials that ensure they get their weekly handouts.

Right now we have 49% of Americans receiving some form of government aide:
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/ter...ns-get-gov-t-benefits-82m-households-medicaid

Those are millions upon millions of people that are being encouraged to be lazy, and who are breeding (often quite literally and rapidly) cultural changes regarding entitlement and work eith within the next generation to make matters worse.

So what is worse? Ancient egyptians wasting resources building the great pyramids, or half of ancient egyptians adopting a culture of laziness and lack of discipline and drive? I bet you can guess which one is more detrimental to the power and prestige of a nation.

Your point?

Per the last census, 25% or Americans are retirees and another 18% are teenagers or younger living at home. How dare old people and kids not be slaves to jobs like the rest of us!

Internet + cellphones and/or Craigslist used PC's are a hell of a lot cheaper than one of these battleships much less how much money is wasted on the military in the US.

Also even if you aren't 3rd world levels of poor its pretty legit to bitch about military overspending since wasted money is always bad.

Of course economic conditions for the non-rich have been pretty crappy since 2008 or so in the US while our infrastructure keeps falling apart.

They could've taken most of the money spent on the military these last few years and put it towards infrastructure renewal/repair much like was done with the WPA programs during the Great Depression and the US would've been much better off by now.

BTW, on a related note though, I thought we were going to focus our efforts AWAY from open sea supremacy and towards littoral combat?

We've already seen that the absolute best ships for the rough open seas are often extremely vulnerable or outright ineffective in coastal waters due to their lack of maneuverability and deep draft.

Europeans have been developing different tactics with lower cost but more numerous very fast and mobile shallow draft ships, and THAT to me is how you can really project power. So instead of this I'd like to see a next generation Stiletto and what not, and have those in greater numbers.

And since you have to get them all over the world, perhaps the future could be aircraft carriers combined with littoral ship carriers, that way you get to the area and then deploy your smaller aircraft and ships to swarm rapidly to deliver ordinance, and then at the end of the day retreat back to the "castle" of the fleet in deep waters.

18% are teenagers or younger living at home. How dare old people and kids not be slaves to jobs like the rest of us!
Please explain to the class why teenagers need to be on government assistance. *pops popcorn*

Please explain to the class why teenagers need to be on government assistance. *pops popcorn*

You've never heard of free or reduced school lunches? Or hell the child tax deduction?

Most of the red-est voting states are filled with farmers who would go belly-up were it not for government crop insurance....which is the biggest irony of all, considering that the politicians they vote are increasingly trying to kill the Farm Bill every time it is up for renewal.

There are economic benefits from the ability to project power though, which history has proven should be obvious. Why is Russia getting access to the Crimean Peninsula, which happens to be the gateway to the mediterranean, black sea, and indian ocean?
Whatever economic benefits gunboat diplomacy has are more than overshadowed by its horrible cost in human lives and suffering. I mean look at how well our war liberating Iraq panned out right? That whole mess was supposed to pay for itself from all the oil we'd be getting from Iraq once Saddam and the Baathists were gone but that didn't turn out as planned either remember.

It can also actually be cheaper to have overwhelming technological military superiority, as it avoids arms races and wars entirely as other nations that might otherwise rise up see the overwhelming capability of force as something they can't match so they don't even try.
In fantasy land sure. In the real world this never happened or are you seriously going to claim the Cold War never happened? Hell look at what N. Korea or Iran have been up to for the last few decades if you want a non-superpower example. Or even pre-Gulf War I Iraq in the early 90's.

If the US were to reduce military spending too drastically, what is to say that Russia and China wouldn't fill that power vacuum and start expanding their empires rapidly?
Russia is too broke and China is hell bent on improving their military power projection capability right now even with us spending more than twice what they do and have for decades. So this argument clearly is in the wrong.

The fact of the matter is there is tons of wasted money when it comes to US military spending and if much of that waste was removed we could probably have a similar size and capable military for much less.

BTW, on a related note though, I thought we were going to focus our efforts AWAY from open sea supremacy and towards littoral combat?
If you have cruise missles, drones, and rail guns that allow you to stand off miles from the coast and hit hundreds or thousands of miles inland then a dedicated littoral combat ship is a waste of money and resources and your money is better spent on putting those new weapon systems on existing hulls.

Europeans have been developing different tactics with lower cost but more numerous very fast and mobile shallow draft ships, and THAT to me is how you can really project power.
The only reason they do that is because of the smaller budgets + more localized and shrunk areas they're supposed to patrol and defend. More fuel + more armor + more weapon systems = bigger ships that weigh lots more and there is no getting around that.

Btw. Anyone wanna throw out estimates of percentage of posts internet wide that reference "They build a $7B weapon but we ain't got no money at home"... Guessing since it's the internet at least 75%.

Funny how that works. They know nothing about how budgets are done, or how these things are bought and paid for well in advance.

So before the naive start blaming their political party of choice, they should probably realize the development of this boat started back in 1994, and its funding could have been killed by both parties at any point.

Why its almost as if both political parties and the last few (at a minimum) Presidents we've had have been total crap despite whatever they say at election time!

Internet + cellphones and/or Craigslist used PC's are a hell of a lot cheaper than one of these battleships much less how much money is wasted on the military in the US.
Nitpick: That's not a battleship. No one has had a battleship for a few decades now.

We've already seen that the absolute best ships for the rough open seas are often extremely vulnerable or outright ineffective in coastal waters due to their lack of maneuverability and deep draft.

Europeans have been developing different tactics with lower cost but more numerous very fast and mobile shallow draft ships, and THAT to me is how you can really project power. So instead of this I'd like to see a next generation Stiletto and what not, and have those in greater numbers.

And since you have to get them all over the world, perhaps the future could be aircraft carriers combined with littoral ship carriers, that way you get to the area and then deploy your smaller aircraft and ships to swarm rapidly to deliver ordinance, and then at the end of the day retreat back to the "castle" of the fleet in deep waters.
The Zumwalt-classes are essentially technology demonstrators. They're literally using every piece of the latest military technology on this ship in order to figure out what works and what doesn't. Then they can use that information to better design cheaper destroyers/surface combatants in the future. Played out well for the USN before with their Seawolf and Virginia-class submarines.

As for having a larger fleet of small and fast ships, the size range you're talking about, the M80 Stiletto size range, are not suitable for the type of global operations that the USN needs/wants to do. They're just too small and more than likely requires a "mothership". Not to mention extremely vulnerable to helicopters and lacking the ability carry helicopters as well. Hence why the LCS ships are as large as they are: They mount a decent medium-range anti-air capability and can launch and maintain helicopters. In addition, the LCS is more multi-role in a sense than the M80 Stileto.
Russia is too broke and China is hell bent on improving their military power projection capability right now even with us spending more than twice what they do and have for decades. So this argument clearly is in the wrong.

The fact of the matter is there is tons of wasted money when it comes to US military spending and if much of that waste was removed we could probably have a similar size and capable military for much less.
While I totally agree that there is a ton of wasted money when it comes to U.S defence spending, there are certain aspects of our military spending that doesn't get talked about:
1) That budget is currently factoring the costs of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. None of the other nations are or winding down from fighting two simultaneous land wars and rebuilding two entire nations from essentially scratch.

2) Due to the fact that said wars meant we were using various equipment/vehicles/aircraft/personnel at a significantly higher operational tempo than peacetime, that further increased the cost of maintenance of those various military equipment.

3) Our personnel are paid and cared for significantly better than the militaries of Russia and China. Due to the fact that we have a volunteer military force, that means that the U.S military has to spend more money on pay + benefits in order to retain better/highly trained personnel.

4) Before 2001, our military spending was roughly $300 billion. Yes still higher China or Russia but that higher budget means that the U.S can and did wage war at any point in the planet with a significantly large force. Neither China nor Russia can do that. In fact, the only France and the UK can wage war far far from their country but with far significantly smaller forces.

5) We're effectively subsidizing the military spending of our various Asian (Japan, South Korea, Taiwan in some aspects) and European allies. Case in point: Note how U.S transports were used in the French operations in Mali and how the U.S sold and supplied weapons used by NATO's European members during the 2011 Libya intervention. The U.S military is the backbone for NATO's entire logistics network.

All of the above shows a clearer picture of why U.S military spending is the way it is now. Could the spending be more efficient and less prone to pork barreling? Yes. But the remaining budget would still remain large for the reasons mentioned above.

If you have cruise missles, drones, and rail guns that allow you to stand off miles from the coast and hit hundreds or thousands of miles inland then a dedicated littoral combat ship is a waste of money and resources and your money is better spent on putting those new weapon systems on existing hulls.
The problem is that the U.S cannot always rely on long-range firepower to solve certain problems or do certain missions. There are going to be situations where we need a ship to go into the coastal areas. But many USN Admirals/commanders/captains aren't going to risk a $1 billon+ ship for such operations. Hence the LCS: They're cheaper than a destroyer and are technically "expendable" for the USN.

In fantasy land sure. In the real world this never happened or are you seriously going to claim the Cold War never happened?
You do realize that you just made my point for me... LOL!!! What was the cold war? An arms race. What did I just say? Overwhelming military power avoids arms races, so you are pointing out one of the greatest arms races in history.

The problem was that after WW2 there were two remaining superpowers with approximately equal power projection capabilities trying to rule over the same spheres of influence.

Russia is cautious with its militarism and keeping it close to home specifically because Putin going all out would incur the wrath of the United States. And China has a massive GDP, and could invest far more in its military if it wanted to, its increases are only to secure its influence in its nearby SE Asian region with a green water navy... something we don't project at all there, so there is no such competition and China is just maintaining its sphere of influence over countries there accordingly.
Agreed, and that's why I was questioning this specific investment, rather than investment in the military in general.

We're effectively subsidizing the military spending of our various Asian (Japan, South Korea, Taiwan in some aspects) and European allies. Case in point: Note how U.S transports were used in the French operations in Mali and how the U.S sold and supplied weapons used by NATO's European members during the 2011 Libya intervention. The U.S military is the backbone for NATO's entire logistics network.
And for that, we have more say than anyone else, well provided we have a strong leader that doesn't pussy foot trying to be everyone's best friend and showing the world how he can prostrate in front of foreign leaders. And just like the barbary wars, we're really just protecting our trade interests overseas. The spice must flow.

They're just too small and more than likely requires a "mothership". Not to mention extremely vulnerable to helicopters and lacking the ability carry helicopters as well.
That was my thought on the "aircraft carriers combined with littoral ship carriers". Let the aircraft carrier deliver the big air ordinance, and now that we've proven we've worked the bugs out of the Ospreys in Iraq there's really no need for helicopters and the Ospreys can fly off the carriers (300mph and 2000 mile range... cmon). The littoral craft can be hoisted off a mothership and for smaller air support it can launch and retrieve both UAVs and AUVs for air and water. Just a thought anyway.

I really enjoyed my time in the Navy and it sometimes upsets me to see people mad the Navy is building new ships to replace it's crazy old fleet. "Your spending too much money! You can't keep projecting power against the worlds superpowers with your 1970's technology!?!?! Why not?!?! You just want to spend money! That's all it is!!!"

Honestly how many of you have a car with a carburetor and a tape deck/8-track that's running good? Imagine that vehicle constantly immersed in sea water and tell me how well it would hold out haha. Hell my CHENG almost lost a leg when he hopped down into a bilge for an inspection and his leg went through the bottom of the ship.... We almost lost that compartment. Most people seriously have no idea how bad it really is lol.

there are certain aspects of our military spending that doesn't get talked about:
As you noted yourself even before the wars we were still spending more than double what Russia and China are spending now combined. This situation is clearly ridiculous and BS and overshadows pretty much all those points you brought up.

We have had a massive military over spending problem for decades and little to nothing has been done about it. It has nothing to do with how much we pay our soldiers or how we built a few token schools/roads after we finished blowing up the rest of the infrastructure in a given country. Or NATO either since the Cold War ended.

The problem is that the U.S cannot always rely on long-range firepower to solve certain problems or do certain missions.
That is what the Army/Marines are for. LCS's are some Navy warcrafting nerd's wet dream that caught the eye of some politicians looking for some political cover to throw money at the military.

You do realize that you just made my point for me... LOL!!! What was the cold war? An arms race. What did I just say? Overwhelming military power avoids arms races, so you are pointing out one of the greatest arms races in history.
The USSR had overwhelming military power in the form of a pretty badass conventional military post WWII. The only thing that stalemated them was our nukes and our threat to use them not just on the battlefield but also on their cities. This led to them eventually not only developing their nuke program, because you know arms race and all, but also a means to obsolete our SAGE program via the first ICBM's. Which they were successful at. Read up a hell of a lot more on the history of the era and you'll see other examples of that sort of thing. Also you're ignoring the other examples I gave.

Overwhelming military power will not ever stop any arms race ever. The only way to do that is the actual use of said military power.

Russia is cautious with its militarism and keeping it close to home specifically because Putin going all out would incur the wrath of the United States.
Nope. They don't have the military they had in the 70's or 80's. Their power projection is like one country over and then they're boned.

And China has a massive GDP, and could invest far more in its military if it wanted to, its increases are only to secure its influence in its nearby SE Asian region with a green water navy... something we don't project at all there, so there is no such competition and China is just maintaining its sphere of influence over countries there accordingly.
Goal post shifting + incorrect. China can't shift more to military spending without cutting somewhere else in their budget which is political suicide at best. They also have only recently gotten half way decent ships to patrol the SEA area properly and are still trying to grow their navy. We also still have our base in Japan and send our ships into the area from time to time too thanks to our good relations with Singapore + S.Korea. Spend more time googling before posting. The magic phrase that pays when googling is 'US pivot to SE Asia strategy'.

There is metric tons of waste, this ship is just a small scratch of it.
Like 7,000+ bases around the globe, that we pay foreign countries to rent and staff with soldiers to blow their US money in that country.

The saddest part of this is that like the Spruance class destroyer I served on, The Zumwalt class will likely last 30 years. Then it will be used for target practice.

Here is the Leftwich used for target practice. Built in the 1979 Decommissioned 1998:

That ship was in service for 19 years. All 31 in that class are at the bottom of the sea.

21_big.jpg

31 Ships in that class that cost 30-35 million per year to maintain, EACH. That's not even close to cost of building it. The crew of a SPRUANCE class destroyer has a combined annual income of approximately $12 million.

A ship is a hole in the water you throw money into.
$7 Billion each and 3 ships ordered. Likely $50 million per year for each ship to maintain afloat.
$15 million in annual pay for each ships crew for 20-30 years before they swim with the fishes.
Upgrades will happen every 3 years costing millions.

Trillions in tax money for 20 years use, then target practice.

Merica!

Russia is cautious with its militarism and keeping it close to home specifically because Putin going all out would incur the wrath of the United States.
No, Russia was broke for the majority of the past few decades. As a result, that led to major budget cuts for their military and also led to the deterioration of their military expeditionary capabilities. The war between Georgia and Russia shows how badly out of date, poorly trained, and inexperienced the Russian military was. In other words, despite having far newer and better weapons today, in terms of military leadership, logistics, and capability, the Soviet military of the 1980s was a far more formidable opponent than the Russian military of 2008 even if you base on comparable size. Anyway, that kind of deterioration means that even if Putin wanted to, the Russian military is incapable
And China has a massive GDP, and could invest far more in its military if it wanted to, its increases are only to secure its influence in its nearby SE Asian region with a green water navy... something we don't project at all there, so there is no such competition and China is just maintaining its sphere of influence over countries there accordingly.
Hence the Asia pivot plan. We're now stationing Marines in Australia, just negotiated with the Phillipines to allow us to restation forces there, making more and more diplomatic interactions with Vietnam, several U.S ships are now deployed in Singapore, etc, etc.
Agreed, and that's why I was questioning this specific investment, rather than investment in the military in general.
And as I noted earlier:
The Zumwalt-classes are essentially technology demonstrators. They're literally using every piece of the latest military technology on this ship in order to figure out what works and what doesn't. Then they can use that information to better design cheaper destroyers/surface combatants in the future. Played out well for the USN before with their Seawolf and Virginia-class submarines.

That was my thought on the "aircraft carriers combined with littoral ship carriers". Let the aircraft carrier deliver the big air ordinance, and now that we've proven we've worked the bugs out of the Ospreys in Iraq there's really no need for helicopters and the Ospreys can fly off the carriers (300mph and 2000 mile range... cmon). The littoral craft can be hoisted off a mothership and for smaller air support it can launch and retrieve both UAVs and AUVs for air and water. Just a thought anyway.
Yeah, no:
1) There's not that many USN ships that can fit and support the MV-22 Osprey. We would have to increase the size of our ships to accomodate the MV-22

2) In addition, the MV-22 doesn't have ALL of the capabilities that the USN needs and is getting from their current fleet of helicopters. As an example: The CH-53E can carry 12,000 more pounds, has been adapted to a mine-hunting role, and can carry 14 more troops than the MV-22. Another example is the SH-60: It can actually carry Hellfire missiles and can be used in the sub-hunting role. Neither of those capabilities are ones that the MV-22 can do.

3) Those littoral craft are even more vulnerable to the the same threats that faces the LCS and Arleigh Burke destroyers.

4) Now we have to dedicate additional assets to protect said mothership. Assets that we don't necessarily have to spare on account of our CVBG and BMD needs.

As you noted yourself even before the wars we were still spending more than double what Russia and China are spending now combined. This situation is clearly ridiculous and BS and overshadows pretty much all those points you brought up.
No it does not overshadow all those other points I brought up. Again, that higher budget meant that:
1) the U.S can and did wage war at any point in the planet with a significantly large force. Neither China nor Russia can do that. In fact, the only France and the UK can wage war far far from their country but with far significantly smaller forces.

2) We're effectively subsidizing the military spending of our various Asian (Japan, South Korea, Taiwan in some aspects) and European allies. Case in point: Note how U.S transports were used in the French operations in Mali and how the U.S sold and supplied weapons used by NATO's European members during the 2011 Libya intervention. The U.S military is the backbone for NATO's entire logistics network.

3) Our personnel are paid and cared for significantly better than the militaries of Russia and China. Due to the fact that we have a volunteer military force, that means that the U.S military has to spend more money on pay + benefits in order to retain better/highly trained personnel.

We have had a massive military over spending problem for decades and little to nothing has been done about it. It has nothing to do with how much we pay our soldiers or how we built a few token schools/roads after we finished blowing up the rest of the infrastructure in a given country. Or NATO either since the Cold War ended.
...Our personnel costs in 2010 was $153 billion alone. How is that high personnel cost have nothing to do with our military spending?
That is what the Army/Marines are for. LCS's are some Navy warcrafting nerd's wet dream that caught the eye of some politicians looking for some political cover to throw money at the military.
....No.

Again, the USN needs a relatively cheap expendable-ish multi-mission capable ship that it can use in situations where it's not necessary or too risky to involve one of our Arleigh Burke class destroyers. Right now, many of our ABs are assigned to BMD and CVBGs. We simply don't have enough ABs to cover all of the missions that the USN carries out. Hence the LCS. No need to send in a destroyer for anti-piracy work when you can send in a LCS. Nor do we need to send in a destroyer to do mine-clearing duties.

I am curious, China and Russia are more/less a step behind in terms of aircraft and missile technologies, but with ships, it just seems to hard for anyone else to have a decent navy, especial carriers. It can't be all costs. What's slowing these other guys down?

I see the most advanced warship ever built: Jammed full of computers, networking, and electronics most likely manufactured in China.

I'm all for the Navy getting whatever it wants provided the vessel is built, stem to stern, by citizens of the United States with American-built components.

"Your spending too much money! You can't keep projecting power against the worlds superpowers with your 1970's technology!?!?! Why not?!?! You just want to spend money! That's all it is!!!"
I know you're trying to be hyperbolic but you're really just hitting the nail on the head here.

After all those other world superpowers can't even seem to put out much if any 1970's tech boats that can compete with what we've currently got. Hell almost no one else has more than 1 carrier and what ones they do have aren't as good as ours.

Hell my CHENG almost lost a leg when he hopped down into a bilge for an inspection and his leg went through the bottom of the ship.... We almost lost that compartment. Most people seriously have no idea how bad it really is lol.
Shitty or improper maintenance will ruin even new ships within a few years in saltwater so you don't just buy new ships in the situation you're describing.

Back