The Navy’s Newest Warship is Powered by Linux

I agree. Also, I bet you that thing is pretty fast overall as well. I wonder how fast it is capable of turning? That thing also looks pretty good as well for a new ship.

I think the new design gives the ship some stealth against radar or sonar detection. But it does look like it was designed for speed as well.

It's hardly surprising that such an ugly ship would be powered by Linux. Seriously, it's almost painful to look at the thing.

Except, contrary to what the article seems to imply, all of the major US Navy shipboard combat systems use a form of Unix (and all are moving to Linux) for their major computation. Some older installations use HPUX or Solaris, but all of the current ships use Red Hat or a real-time kernal on a Red Hat base, such as Red Hawk.

Been that way for years, the Zumwalt is just the newest ship, and they ushered in an Ars reporter who knew combat systems twenty years ago and didn't realize that things had changed, so he breathlessly wrote an article that was "No duh!" to those who work in the field.

Probably would have cost them at least another half billion for Windows and Citrix licenses if they had went that way.
And let us be honest here...
Do we REALLY want Win8 running the pcs that are going to be firing nukes?
For god's sake man! How the hell are they going to launch without a start menu to bring up targeting when they're not using touch screens and just keyboards?! It'd never happen! We'd be toast hours before they could figure out how to shoot back!

Touch screen technology is standard on most combat systems. See Q70, CDS, etc.

I'd like to think that if we spend billions on our military, they'd put practicality before vanity.
I would like to congratulate the Front Page posters for taking so long before someone took my joke seriously. Well done!

the bigger news related to this boat is that it is headed by none other than the real CAPTAIN KIRK! look it up.

This command center on a ship brings up an interesting point.

Are games becomeing to realistic, or is realistic becoming closer to a game?

Combat is now done from behind a computer screen, not by mechanical systems operated by humans.

I love Windows, but I always say "Use the right tool for the job". In this case, it was Linux. It is perfect for the use, too. Even with a fully secured and stable Windows, it still might be too much. It's like using an industrial drill with screwdriver bit to tighten a simple screw when you have a tool belt with a screwdriver right there... Don't use a wrench as a hammer type of thing.

I would be curious, though. What would the benefit of running Windows have in that situation? Linux would have a smaller footprint, long uptime, easy to maintain; simple and sweet. Windows can do that, but it's got a bigger footprint, not as customizable to the hardware being used (closed source) and I'm sure some of that stuff isn't on the HCL.

They could Skype from the 7 seas!

From devices not connected to the main support systems, sure. But, the missile command system and Skype.... Oops, that wasn't the "Hang up" button! :D Depending on where the ship is, that could be a disaster. Other places, it'd be a nice thing to have.

Back