The New EVE: Apocrypha

Yeap.....Im liking this game a whole lot. I honestly dont see how some people are having problems making isk. Im making lots of isk and not even really trying. It just kinda happens.

Wrecks that have no loot inside aren't assigned to anyone, so you are free to salvage them without penalty. Most people don't even bother salvaging, so if you want money fast you can setup a salvaging ship and start grabbing that junk:D.

Just got a scan probe launcher yesterday. Good stuff but at this point I can make more money missioning (plus LP, plus faction standings which the corp needs for some reason).

The magic probe number is evidently 1--I set a single probe to 32AU, scanned and it pinpointed 3 sites on the first attempt. :D (Low level stuff.)

I also found an unstable WH that could collapse "within a day. It's so tempting to just take off and try to find my way back a different way but I don't have the time, and sleepers would make short work of me.

Are most sites on the ecliptic in each system or are they all over the place?

I should have around 1.5M SP as of today and what do I see in the today's patch release notes but this:

A change has been made to the client and server skill point gain calculations for rookie pilots below the 1.6 million skill point threshold. Skill point increase per minute is now based on the total skill points you will have after completing the skill, instead of your total skill points. This effectively means that skill point gain will be calculated properly when crossing a bonus boundary. This means that adding a skill, which has 756,000 skill points when you are on the threshold (i.e. 1,590.000), will not benefit from the double skill training bonus and will be trained at normal speed.

lol, just my luck

I'm also at 1.5m but it doesn't apply if you already started the skill before the patch which is what I happened to do with Refining V. mwuhahahahahha lolzinyourface

Sweet.

Yes, and I'm an idiot.

self said:
*looking at training queue*

Hmm, it still says 7 days. What if..

*removes skill from queue, adds skill back into queue*

Now it says 14 days.

doh! :rolleyes:

I got PvP'ed for the first time last night. I "think" the guy was in a Hurricane (didnt think to look at that time). I messaged him and he told me he was in a good mood and wouldnt pod kill me.

I was taking a chance trying to mine some Jaspet for refining, trying to cut costs down for what I plan on making to sell. I had to go to .3 space before I found a Jaspet asteroid. I took a quick look around to make sure I was alone...I was..so I started mining. I had only collected 2 rounds of ore and then, all of a sudden, I see this orange box appear not to far from me. I take a second look and see a little tiny skull and crossbones emblem. "Uh Oh" ......I click on the first warpable object in the overview and "tried" to warp out but I guess I took too long. Next thing I know, I see this faint halo surround my ship (I was in a Catalyst) and my warp drive goes caput.

This guy had some serious bullets hitting me. I get hit a few times and my armor is completely gone, a few seconds later, Im staring at my pod.

I tried asking him what it was he was shooting me with, but he replied "If I dont leave now, he is going to reconsider podding me". So, I took the hint and warped back home. What really sucks is that I had my first and only rig set up on that ship, which to a newb such as myself, cost a lot of ISK.

Im happy to say though, I had the BEST insurance on that ship I could get and it ended up paying me more than what the ship cost to begin with, so that was cool, but I still lost that rig.

All in all, it was a cool experience. I wasnt too too unhappy about the incident. I knew it would happen sooner or later, just wish it could have happened in a Tristan instead. I have 4 of them.

Sooo, any suggestions on what I can do for next time? I wasnt really set up to fight, though I did have 4 hybrid turrets and a beam laser plus 2 Miner 1's. Doubtfull if it would have made a difference though. Is there any way of getting an early warning alarm or something? All I needed was maybe 2 more seconds and I would have been able to warp out.

Oh yeah, in case your wondering why I was in a Catalyst (which is a destroyer) doing mining.....Well, its because of its loadout capabilities. Atm, I cant afford a "real" cargo ship. With this Catalyst though, I was able to fit 4 Miner 1's using 3 caps and that rig. The idea was to have a container nearby, fill it, then return with my Iteron to get all the ore. That was weeks ago though. Lost that container inside a wormhole (ooopps). Warping around the system with no firepower for sleepers made me reduce the fitting to 2 Miners and a loadout of weapons.

Gotta love the possibilities of this game.

If there is someone else in local with you in lowsec, you are never safe. They can warp in on you at anytime and might even be sitting next to you cloaked since some ships can actually warp while cloaked. Once they put a warp scrambler on you you can't warp away unless you have a warp core stabilizer ("stab") in a low slot to counter it. Even then, a heavy interdictor can hold you down no matter how many "stabs" you fit. The general rule of thumb is if you aren't alone in local, consider yourself an eventual target (in lowsec/0.0). If you want to be a sneaky miner you can fit a cloak in one high slot, but this makes you target slower and it's no good if the person already knows where you are. When you cloak you move incredibly slow and you can't be within 2000m of anything. They can fly right at you and uncloak you.

Last edited:
They can warp in on you at anytime and might even be sitting next to you cloaked since some ships can actually warp while cloaked.

When you cloak you move incredibly slow and you can't be within 2000km of anything. They can fly right at you and uncloak you.

These sound like contradictory statements... His enemy can sit next to him cloaked, but he can't do the same to them?

These sound like contradictory statements... His enemy can sit next to him cloaked, but he can't do the same to them?

He meant 2000m (2km). You can't be cloaked within 2k of an object, but if you're 3km away you're fine. The problem is most miners have a jetcan or secure container nearby that they are putting their ore in. So that prevents you from cloaking if your within 2km.

You also can't cloak if someone is targetting you, so if you get targeted before you notice him, you won't be able to cloak.

Basically, keep an eye on the Local chat window. If no one is there, you're safe. If other people are in the system, you aren't safe.

Pirates (Players) will see you mining, and know you'll be back to collect your ore.

Last edited:
The cool thing about mining in a Catalyst and getting your ship blown up is that you can easily outlast your attacker. A Catalyst is so cheap that I would just get a new one and continue mining, get blown up again, get a new one and continue mining, get blown up again, get a new one and continue mining, get blown up again, get a new one and continue mining, etc.

You lose a few hundred K in ISK, but the guy gets a sec status hit every time.
Of course that only makes sense if he isn't at -5.0 already. Still, there's some sense of peace in it to just come back over and over. Sure you will get blown up a few more times, but at some point your attacker will say "WTF!?" and just leave.

I got PvP'ed for the first time last night. I "think" the guy was in a Hurricane (didnt think to look at that time). I messaged him and he told me he was in a good mood and wouldnt pod kill me.

I was taking a chance trying to mine some Jaspet for refining, trying to cut costs down for what I plan on making to sell. I had to go to .3 space before I found a Jaspet asteroid. I took a quick look around to make sure I was alone...I was..so I started mining. I had only collected 2 rounds of ore and then, all of a sudden, I see this orange box appear not to far from me. I take a second look and see a little tiny skull and crossbones emblem. "Uh Oh" ......I click on the first warpable object in the overview and "tried" to warp out but I guess I took too long. Next thing I know, I see this faint halo surround my ship (I was in a Catalyst) and my warp drive goes caput.

This guy had some serious bullets hitting me. I get hit a few times and my armor is completely gone, a few seconds later, Im staring at my pod.

Yeah, this is pretty normal. You'll get used to it! The nice part is you didn't lose any implants you might have had in, which would've reduced how fast you are training!

I tried asking him what it was he was shooting me with, but he replied "If I dont leave now, he is going to reconsider podding me". So, I took the hint and warped back home. What really sucks is that I had my first and only rig set up on that ship, which to a newb such as myself, cost a lot of ISK.

Im happy to say though, I had the BEST insurance on that ship I could get and it ended up paying me more than what the ship cost to begin with, so that was cool, but I still lost that rig.

You made a mistake rigging a ship like that. I didn't start using rigs until i had over 10M skill points, and even then I bought the cheapest ones I could find which would provide some benefit (shield resistance ones on a Raven so I could rat more effectively.) You're way too small to be using rigs, as you're going to have a LOT more ships blow up before you become effective and skilled enough to evade the occasional harassment of PvPers.

With nearly all T1 ships you should be buying the best insurance available... don't EVER buy the bare minimum. Even if you are in a throw-away ship you do still have insurance, however.... all ships in the galaxy are insured, but it's a horrible amount you get back from "uninsured", so be prepared for that if you forget or let your insurance lapse (since it only lasts 90 days.)

Sooo, any suggestions on what I can do for next time? I wasnt really set up to fight, though I did have 4 hybrid turrets and a beam laser plus 2 Miner 1's. Doubtfull if it would have made a difference though. Is there any way of getting an early warning alarm or something? All I needed was maybe 2 more seconds and I would have been able to warp out.

Ideally you'd want to align to a target once you warp in and start your business, but mining is a fickle beast.... you can't be flying away from the asteroid that you want to mine, since eventually you'll out-range your mining lasers / strip miners and they'll shut off.

Your best bet is to watch local and see who is flying around.... if they're warping in to your area it's a good bet you're spanked, even in a small ship. Your best recourse would be one warp stabilizer in your low slot (if you can spare the cargo expander you probably have there.) Barring that, having an MWD would be useful since you could probably out-run a Battlecruiser/Battleship, plus the odds are good they couldn't have hit you in such a small ship. Even without that you could do the cloaking device bit, but that'll just end up with you not being able to cloak... or worse, he'll know where you were and just fly by you to uncloak you.

For you, your best bet is to stay in 0.5 or above. :) Go for Omber, rather than Jaspet... better ROI if I remember right, and it's available in 0.7, 0.6 and 0.5 systems, again, if I remember right.

Last edited:
I appreciate the advice guys.....

The rig I used was used prior to me actually going to this Jaspet location. I HAD to use the rig in order to be able to use 4 Miner 1's. That, along with the 3 caps I was using put me just a hair under full capacity for the capacitor capability of my ship...and when I say a hair, I mean it. I had .2 capacity left, so the Rig was required. It was a feeble attempt, I know...but at least I was able to get it to work :)

The Omber though....doesnt yield the mineral I required (Noxcium).

What does "ROI" stand for?

Getting my ass kicked, now that Ive had a day to think about it more was more helpful to me than not. For one, look at the advice I have received because of it AND it has made me want to play all the more. I doubt there was a single 5 minute time thruout today I hadnt given yesterdays event some thought. Could not wait to clock out at my night job so I could get home and log back in.

If you guys come across a guy named Cryxion (or something like that)(I know the first part was "Cry")...ummm, can you make HIM cry, hehe. He killed me in a system called Aemon (gawd, I can not spell these words for shit). Its a simple 3 jumps away from a system called Aidart. Being new, I cant offer any reward other than my gratitude.

The best thing you can do in EVE is not care one bit about losing your ships. If that means you fly inexpensive ships all the time then so be it. If that means you make it rich eventually and fly awesome ships in a suicidal fashion, that's great. GoonSwarm is arguably the most dangerous alliance in the game and they have a negative kill death ratio. That means they have lost more ships then they have killed. They succeed because when the people they fight lose their ship they go home crying. When goons lose a ship they grab another and get right back into the battlefield, sometimes losing four ships in a row. Fly cheap, fly suicidal. That's when EVE is really fun. :)

i liked mining in .5. if i were you i would mine ice....its used for carriers for jump fuel. get into a hauler as soon as possible fit cargo expanders and go to town. always assume some baddies in 4. to .1 space. mining takes time and someone could jump into that system and scan the belts in short order. always stay aligned to a gate or station. if you see someone ..hit the warp button and pray for the best.

I agree. It hurts a lot to lose a ship sometimes, but you have to be in the mindset that you CAN die at any moment, and you might lose that purty ship. In highsec you're usually safe (but not guaranteed!). In low sec, you're fair game.

I don't know that Ice Mining is all that profitable, especially without the right skills. I'm not even sure its possible without a certain kind of ship and laser, is it? Are there Ice Belts in high sec?

Ice mining is very different from rock mining. Instead of trying to increase your yeild, you're trying to reduce your mining laser cycle time. It starts out at 10 minutes per cycle.

I agree. It hurts a lot to lose a ship sometimes, but you have to be in the mindset that you CAN die at any moment, and you might lose that purty ship. In highsec you're usually safe (but not guaranteed!). In low sec, you're fair game.

I don't know that Ice Mining is all that profitable, especially without the right skills. I'm not even sure its possible without a certain kind of ship and laser, is it? Are there Ice Belts in high sec?

Ice mining is very different from rock mining. Instead of trying to increase your yeild, you're trying to reduce your mining laser cycle time. It starts out at 10 minutes per cycle.

Ice mining does require Exhumers or Mining Barges to use, since you have to be able to equip the proper laser. By that point you can also use strip miners, which are rediculously more efficient than mining lasers, plus you're in a ship with a significant capacity, since those Mining Barges and Exhumers have larger cargo holds than combat-oriented ships.

I'd put some effort in to focusing in this direction, if it's what you really want to do. Part of this involves getting Science V, if you don't have it yet. I also recommend maxing out Engineering, since that adds to your power grid, and maxing out Electronics for CPU is good, too. Don't forget your Learning skills as well!

Agree. If you really want to mine hardcore, then google for the Complete Mining Guide. It has everything you wanna know ;).

Last edited:
10min per cycle......HOLY stickshit batman!!!!!!

Science V - DONE
Engineering V - DONE
Learning V - DONE
Frigate V - DONE
Mining V - DONE
Electronics IV - (5 hours to go for V )
Refining V - DONE
Mechanic IV
Spaceship Command IV

:)

10min per cycle......HOLY stickshit batman!!!!!!

Science V - DONE
Engineering V - DONE
Learning V - DONE
Frigate V - DONE
Mining V - DONE
Electronics IV - (5 hours to go for V )
Refining V - DONE
Mechanic IV
Spaceship Command IV

:)

If you want to make things a bit easier if your warp time are too long, don't forget Warp Drive Operation or whatever it's called. Definitely useful if you don't like stopping half-way to the next gate on a long jump. I also recommend Evasive Maneuvering to at least 3 ASAP, since it adds ship agility, which does things like make turns more responsive and faster. With larger ships it's more noticible, of course.

If you have Mining V done why aren't you using Mining Laser II's, or at least Meta 4 lasers?

You have Refining V, which means you should have the refining specialization skills. Try getting those up to at least 2 to start, but be careful that you don't try to do ALL of them, since there's a ton of 'em! This might have a few prereqs, I never trained them so I couldn't tell you with any confidence, but I know they can be useful for better refining results.

Whatever Frigate V you have: *EDIT* If you are Caldari definitely go with the Osprey... otherwise you're probably in the right ship for the moment. You'll want to get Mining Barges ASAP and get it up to at least 3 so you can use the Retriever and a few strip miners. They're WAY more efficient and the ship should have a larger cargo hold than you have now!

Last edited:
Why do people mine? ISK to pay for PLEX for PvP accounts? Goods for their alliance?

[edit] Also, why am I reading that a Moa is worse than a Caracal? EFT shows the Moa with higher specs in everything but targeting distance and align time, and the Caracal gets a DPS bonus whereas the Moa gets a range bonus.

Last edited:
Why do people mine? ISK to pay for PLEX for PvP accounts? Goods for their alliance?

[edit] Also, why am I reading that a Moa is worse than a Caracal? EFT shows the Moa with higher specs in everything but targeting distance and align time, and the Caracal gets a DPS bonus whereas the Moa gets a range bonus.

Mining is used to make isk. It allows for a different kind of gameplay for those who don't have the skills to run missions or rat. If you are in a player corp or alliance, you may have mining ops where the minerals are used to help other people.

Moa is a hybrid based ship used for sniping, while the caracal uses missiles. Moa is a decent ship for those who want to snipe but cant use a battleship or Heavy Assault Ship.

I'm in a mining corp/alliance. I just don't get why someone would play a game for hours on end, watch their lasers chip away at rock, fly their slow-assed hauler back to base (and hopefully survive the process), rinse and repeat. I get it as part of a larger cause but people seem to enjoy mining. Maybe I'm not old enough to be quiet that relaxed in a video game. :D

AFA Caldari cruisers, maybe I'm reading peoples' bias into it. Moa seems like the better ship to me unless you need missiles in specialized scenarios.

I'm in a mining corp/alliance. I just don't get why someone would play a game for hours on end, watch their lasers chip away at rock, fly their slow-assed hauler back to base (and hopefully survive the process), rinse and repeat.

Mining is the most obvious way for a new player to start making ISK and see an immediate impact (instant gratification). Newer players usually don't have the insight into the game to realize that mining is one of the lowest paying jobs in EVE.

Mining is also something that can be done semi-afk while you watch TV, monkey around with the wife or kids, read a book, browse pr0n, or whatever. That's very appealing to a number of people who just can't (or won't) dedicate 100% of their attention to the game.

eggrock said:
AFA Caldari cruisers, maybe I'm reading peoples' bias into it. Moa seems like the better ship to me unless you need missiles in specialized scenarios.
As with everything in EVE, or RL, better is relative.
In most cases the Caracal is preferred to the Moa due to the higher dps, ability to vary damage types, and not being subject to tracking related penalties. However, a blaster Moa (Boa) can be quite deadly in a jiffy. Depends on skills to, as in gunnery vs. missiles.

Mining is the most obvious way for a new player to start making ISK and see an immediate impact (instant gratification). Newer players usually don't have the insight into the game to realize that mining is one of the lowest paying jobs in EVE.

Mining is also something that can be done semi-afk while you watch TV, monkey around with the wife or kids, read a book, browse pr0n, or whatever. That's very appealing to a number of people who just can't (or won't) dedicate 100% of their attention to the game.

That makes sense although I prefer salvaging. Quicker, less skills, more isk and generally possible to fit one salvager without completely raping your armament.

As with everything in EVE, or RL, better is relative.
In most cases the Caracal is preferred to the Moa due to the higher dps, ability to vary damage types, and not being subject to tracking related penalties. However, a blaster Moa (Boa) can be quite deadly in a jiffy. Depends on skills to, as in gunnery vs. missiles.

Here's where my noob shows... I thought railguns (and most definitely blasters) would be higher DPS than missiles. I'm definitely missing something then, back to the books! I've been avoiding blasters since I'm missioning for isk and a little longer range is preferable for PvE blobs. When I get into PvP I'll probably favor DPS > * unless the scenario calls for something else.

Here's where my noob shows... I thought railguns (and most definitely blasters) would be higher DPS than missiles. I'm definitely missing something then, back to the books! I've been avoiding blasters since I'm missioning for isk and a little longer range is preferable for PvE blobs.

For missioning missiles are generally preferred because you can adjust your damage type to match the weakness of your target. You are correct in the assumption that range is overall preferred for missions as well as you can often pop the NPC before they get close enough for their own weapon system to be effective.

One turret attribute is tracking. On a basic level, the smaller the target, and the faster the target, the more difficult it is for a turret to follow the target quickly enough to actually be able to hit it. There is some magic and some math involved but I won't bother because it doesn't really matter for the principle.

Missiles are not subject to "tracking", so you can take a really big missile (i.e. a torpede) and you can fire it at a really small and fast ship. The damage will be minimal, but there will be damage (unless the missile never reaches the target because the target is way too fast) whereas turrets may not be able to hit the target at all.

Weapon systems and the underlying mechanics are quite complex, and a lot of it is situational as well. Even folks who have been playing for years are often not really sure how it all works because it was easier to avoid thinking about it rather than digging in and trying to fully understand it. I personally still struggle with drone tracking, and yes, I am avoinding looking into it. ;)

I think I have that part down:

Turrets are range vs. falloff, signature vs. resolution and tracking vs. transversal speed.

Missiles are flight speed * time, explosion speed vs. target speed (dunno if direction matters but knowing EVE, it does) and the size of the target vs. size (radius) of the explosion.

Then throw in the ships and modules that affect those variables and lump situational combat on top of it all. Simple! :p Drones? Smart bomb the bastards.

One thing I don't understand are making turrets able to hit at long range. I think that has to do with modules that increase the optimal ranges, and since I don't have Trajectory Analysis yet I can't fit things like tracking computers. I wound up making a Cormorant that could track out to 100km but couldn't hit anything. Heh.. I'm slowly figuring all of it out and battleclinic + EFT has been a godsend.

[edit] Sorry for /jacking the mining discussion. Carry on. :p

Just to note:

The skills I listed earlier are merely the ones I have at level IV and V right now. In total, I have 104 skills trained (last time I looked anyways) and of those skills, NONE at sitting at level 1, they are all at level 2 or 3.

As for Mining...

I do it not for profit, in the sense that what I mine im going to turn around and sell the ore, rather, I mine my ore to cut the costs from the blueprint requirements of that ore. Sure, it would be a whole lot simpler to go to the market and buy what the ore/minerals I need to build whatever it is im building....but therein lies the principle/reasoning for mining, IMO anyways. Why buy it when I can spend an hour or so getting it for free? Time maybe? Hmmm. As mentioned earlier..its all relative. I think of time spent differently than someone else might think of it. Im in no hurry, plus, I like the challenge of finding the asteroids myself instead of having it basically handed to me. So, to me, mining isnt boring at all. As my ship shoots its lasers to gather the ore, im not just sitting there twiddling my thumbs waiting for my cargo bay to be full. Im constantly doing something else in the game at the same time. Sometimes, chatting with folks in Corp chat. Other (and most usually) times, im scanning the market menus finding "that" next niche I want to utilize to make more ISK. I find it most humorous making money off the laziness of others. Making a simple 3 or 5 gate jumps and buying something for a forth of what it costs over at this other system. Its intriguing to me.

Other times while mining (in highsec), I will probe the area while my cargo bay gets full of ore. So, im never bored with mining at all and I get to see different places in the game too, which is always fun.

Being bored is, in actuallity, just a mindset of that person being bored. You can choose to be bored, or not to be. I choose not to be, therefor, to me, mining if actually fun to do.

I also find it important not to limit myself to a single skill. I know some people in the game specialize in one particular aspect of the game. However, I feel that having the skill and knowledge of doing lots of things in the game broadens the atmosphere of the gameplay to me. I can salvage if I want to, mine, probe, do missions, trade and sell, and eventually, I will gain enough experience to even do some pirating too. In fact, something I look forward to later in the game is doing some of the bounty hunting on other players. By then, I will have a vast knowledge of how the game mechanics work which will give me a sharper edged blade to swing at that person Im hunting down. They might be in a more superior ship than I have, but my ship will be better outfitted for the purpose than they are ready for or expecting. Patients is the key....the game has been here since 2003 and from what ive seen, isnt going ANYWHERE. I will have my day. :)

yes each race area has there own ice and yes its in safe space. however the good ice is in 0.0 so if your in an alliance chances are there is the better ice there but also more dangerous to mine there especially if your at war. the captial mining ships seem nice. lots have a mining alt so they can dedicate all there skills towards mining and another alt for pvp. ive never liked mixing weapons with say putting blasters on caldari ships i feel you lose your bonus to whatever the ship gets. the fun ships in my opinion are the heavy dictors......heavy assault ships and force recon. those ships are very deadly in small and medium and even large gangs. for a good fun relatively cheap ship to fly in a small gang is the electronic attack ship especially the caldari one. it can align to warp out real fast and with proper skills can jam from a good distance.

yes each race area has there own ice and yes its in safe space. however the good ice is in 0.0 so if your in an alliance chances are there is the better ice there but also more dangerous to mine there especially if your at war. the captial mining ships seem nice. lots have a mining alt so they can dedicate all there skills towards mining and another alt for pvp. ive never liked mixing weapons with say putting blasters on caldari ships i feel you lose your bonus to whatever the ship gets. the fun ships in my opinion are the heavy dictors......heavy assault ships and force recon. those ships are very deadly in small and medium and even large gangs. for a good fun relatively cheap ship to fly in a small gang is the electronic attack ship especially the caldari one. it can align to warp out real fast and with proper skills can jam from a good distance.

Ice is ice. There are different kinds, but the kind found in 0.0 is identical to the kind found in highsec. 0.0 usually offers better roids, like crokite. Along the same lines, Veldspar found in .8 is no different than that found in 0.0

In 0.0 war decs are meaningless. Most corps/alliances operate under NBSI (as do we) so it's like being at war all the time :)

Also, some ships don't get bonuses to guns, so it can be beneficial to run others guns on them. Myrmidon and the Ishtar are perfect examples, I run AC's on both. AC's are capless have have low fitting reqs. The majority of the damage from those 2 ships comes from drones anyway.

If anyone has iPhone, check out the app Capsuleer. It tracks your skilling progress so you can check on your phone how long until you have to log on and set skills again.

Ok....so. I did some more probing last night. Interesting tweaks they did to the graphics of those scanning spheres...

Anyways...I found another wormhole, entered, probed again and found 2 structures that were called Sleeper "somethings" (I keep telling myself im going to write this stuff down, but never do..oyyy). Soo, I warp to them and they kinda look like a station of some sort. Lets put it this way, it was a building in space :). I start clicking on the different things that were clickable...nothing. I start right clicking...still nothing. No enemy ships to shoot either.

Soo, the big question here is....what are these structures and why are they there? What am I supposed to do at these place....or, should the question be...what should I NOT do at these places?

Ive heard/read people say "I woke up a sleeper and they killed me". I was under the impression it was somewhat like when im mining at an asteroid field and all of a sudden, 3 or 4 ships appear. I thought this was "waking up a sleeper". Is this incorrect?

Is a Sleeper the same thing as a Rat?

Please explain :)

Did you try blowing up any of the buildings?

Hmmm....No, I did not...LOL. Is this something I should be doing? I usually dont attack/blow things up that arent attacking me first or part of a mission to blow up.

Is "that" how to wake up the Sleepers?

Sleepers are NPCs that actually hurts. The only time the Sleepers arrive in a delayed mode is at Ladar sites (gas clouds) and possibly Grav sites (mining, never touched one). Radar, Mag and Encounter sites always have a welcome comittee.

It sounds like you found a recently completed Encounter site with no sloppy seconds for you. The structures are a waste of ammo to shoot btw.

Hmmm....Interesting...

So, I guess someone else did the dirty work already then, ehh? The info on the wormhole did say that it was nearing its end...but it also said there hadnt been too much traffic going thru it recently..so I dunno.

Since these structures were in wormhole space, which was in 0.0...myself being relatively new and not having a very powerfull ship...is it a safe conclusion that had there been some sleepers there, I would not have survived the fight (had I chose to fight)?

Also....when engaged with NPC pirates, how is the AI with them? Ive only fought pirates in and around newb space areas....pretty easy pickings. Would I ever have a need to use a Stasis Webifier on an NPC pirate? Do they ever say to themselves "Oh shit, this guy can kick my ass, I better warp out"? Or are these Electronic Warfare devices I can use mainly (or solely) used for PvP combat?

The reason I ask is, Im considering having 2 seperate Destroyers/Crusiers. One outfitted to tasks within highsec areas and the other for possible PvP encounters. If I know im not going to be at risk (or very rare risk) doing business stuff, I see no need to waste a slot/fitting on my ship for something I wont be using, such as the Stasis Web. and other such items.

On a different note, another question I have is...Why are some items, which are in Newb space (I say its in newb space cause there are tut agents at the station) so much more expensive than in a system thats .5? Shouldnt that be the other way around? I was finding items in the market in .5 space that were, say, 50k isk, but over in newb space station, they were 200k. The way im thinking, it just seems to me that a 1 or 2 day old newb isnt going to have that kind of ISK to be buying that item, but someone with more experience would, so the closer you get to 0.0 space, the more expensive the item would usually be because it CAN be bought by those who are there to buy it. Doesnt that make sense or am I looking/thinking about it wrongly? Or is ANYTHING .5 or higher considered "newb" space?

Dunno for sure about sleepers but from what little I've seen of them a destroyer won't last very long because they have zero tanking ability. A cruiser might last a bit longer and maybe be successful with a sniper fit (>75km range).

Other low level NPC pirates have poor AI and won't warp except for a few scenarios designed to draw you into a deeper 'room'. Webifiers might be useful when you get heavier, slower tracking guns, but if you're in a destroyer, fit with your wep of choice and use the mids for something else.

If you're in .5 and above you might as well stay mission fit if you're in a cruiser or destroyer. Even if someone ganks you you're going to earn plenty to pay for a replacement by keeping salvagers etc. on, or at least in cargo so you can dock and fit them for a quick salvage. I haven't spent a lot of time below .5 but I'm planning on staying PvP fit at all times when I get there unless I can mission in a gang.

Since these structures were in wormhole space, which was in 0.0...myself being relatively new and not having a very powerfull ship...is it a safe conclusion that had there been some sleepers there, I would not have survived the fight (had I chose to fight)?

Yes, they would have annialated you before you knew what hit you. Sleepers are the hardest type of npc's in the game that you can go against. Their AI is increadibly smart compared to the others. They will switch targets, they will warp scram/web you, they will take out the weakest link in a gang. They can take and dish out the damage (think 2-6k damage per hit). You could basically say going against them is PvEPvP basically. If you and a few buddies can take them on effectively you can easily make billions supplying/building T3 material.

Note to self......leave the sleepers alone. Gotcha loud and clear....

As for Mining...

I do it not for profit, in the sense that what I mine im going to turn around and sell the ore, rather, I mine my ore to cut the costs from the blueprint requirements of that ore. Sure, it would be a whole lot simpler to go to the market and buy what the ore/minerals I need to build whatever it is im building....but therein lies the principle/reasoning for mining, IMO anyways. Why buy it when I can spend an hour or so getting it for free? Time maybe? Hmmm. As mentioned earlier..its all relative. I think of time spent differently than someone else might think of it. Im in no hurry, plus, I like the challenge of finding the asteroids myself instead of having it basically handed to me. So, to me, mining isnt boring at all. As my ship shoots its lasers to gather the ore, im not just sitting there twiddling my thumbs waiting for my cargo bay to be full. Im constantly doing something else in the game at the same time. Sometimes, chatting with folks in Corp chat. Other (and most usually) times, im scanning the market menus finding "that" next niche I want to utilize to make more ISK. I find it most humorous making money off the laziness of others. Making a simple 3 or 5 gate jumps and buying something for a forth of what it costs over at this other system. Its intriguing to me.

There's always an opportunity cost, there is no such thing as "free".

Spending your time in-game has an opportunity cost, depending on what you're doing. Take stock of what your most profitable endeavor actually is, then subtract off of that the profit received from your current task. The result is the opportunity cost. A simple example:

"Let's say you can make 2 million ISK per hour running missions, on average. If you are gathering resources via mining you can only collect 1.1 million ISK worth of resources, if the materials were sold at current market value. The opportunity cost associated with selecting mining over mission running is 900k ISK per hour."

The most profitable endeavor is the one you want to achieve, NOT the least profitable one. In the end everything boils down to ISK--figure out how much ISK your current profession is making, then check your other profit centers to determine which one is the best and do that.

This is all in response to you saying you are "saving money" by mining.... you really aren't, you're costing yourself money in the long run. Anyways, do whatever makes you happy, I just didn't want you to continue living under the delusion that what you are doing is in any way "saving" anything. :)

There's always an opportunity cost, there is no such thing as "free".

Spending your time in-game has an opportunity cost, depending on what you're doing. Take stock of what your most profitable endeavor actually is, then subtract off of that the profit received from your current task. The result is the opportunity cost. A simple example:

"Let's say you can make 2 million ISK per hour running missions, on average. If you are gathering resources via mining you can only collect 1.1 million ISK worth of resources, if the materials were sold at current market value. The opportunity cost associated with selecting mining over mission running is 900k ISK per hour."

The most profitable endeavor is the one you want to achieve, NOT the least profitable one. In the end everything boils down to ISK--figure out how much ISK your current profession is making, then check your other profit centers to determine which one is the best and do that.

This is all in response to you saying you are "saving money" by mining.... you really aren't, you're costing yourself money in the long run. Anyways, do whatever makes you happy, I just didn't want you to continue living under the delusion that what you are doing is in any way "saving" anything. :)

Understood;)

Allow me to elaborate..

Since I am fairly new with the game, all things within the game are equally new too (obviously) and so, to me, just buying the ore/minerals from the market, I loose out on the experience associated with doing the mining myself. If all I do is buy from the market, I cant learn what it takes for that product to get to the market to begin with, which to me is an important part of knowing what things are "really" worth in the market place. What all goes into making an item from a blueprint to market, time invested, materials, risk and availability all determine the "why" something costs what it does.

If I wish to create a decent wealth in this game thru trading, buying and selling, then IMO, these are steps I need to take to better understand what im doing and why im doing it. Though, it may be more profitable to just go ahead and buy from the market and let someone else do the dirty work for me.....being new, I feel the need to get dirty myself, if that makes sense, heh.

As well, I can have buy and sell orders stacked and while they are in escrow waiting to be fired off, I can then be doing other things within the game which are more lucritive to fattening my wallet :)

I also enjoy the "hunt" for being the dealer of a commodity which isnt presently being sold at said station, to which, I have found many of such situations.

And again...once those orders are set, it free's me to go and do those 2mil an hour missions. In the end, I will have multiple venues of income working for me at the same time :cool:

Back