The new Precision will OC your card further than the old Precision!

TalonMan

[H]ard|Gawd
I posted this in the EVGA forum, but wanted to get the word out here too.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=462236

The new Precision link: http://www.evga.com/articles/405.asp

Hard to believe... YES

True, I believe so...

How, I have no clue.

Talking with the boy's in another thread, this is what we discovered:

My old max core was 691. Any higher and Vantages CPU test 2 "Crash'N'Burn", would cause my system to re-boot.

I was running: Core=691, Shaders=1512, and Memory=1323.

thehippoz and wesg79 were in the same boat as me with a max core of 691. We all were using the origional Precision to OC our Cards.

After installing the new version of Precision, I now am running error free at:
Core=738, Shaders=1512, and Memory=1323 producing a P14,606 score in Vantage.

ORIGINAL: thehippoz
With new version of precision I can get 729 gpu, 1458 shader =] it looks stable too.. the on screen display is greyed out though on mine.. wonder whats up

Delirious. posted: Same here. Unlinking the shaders is the key

ORIGINAL: thehippoz

yeah it's the new precision.. I can run 771/1566 on the thing max lol it artifacts there but benchable.. guess the one came with the card is broke

756/1512/1224 plays crysis fine over here.. I kinda thought something fishy with precision when say people getting higher clocks- shoulda tried gainwards again but like the on screen info

ORIGINAL: gloves085

OK, just got 756/1566/1350 with no artifacts in SLi with 2 x GTX 280 SSC on air.
Ambient temp around 25c.

I reckon I can get more, but it does seem the shader is the limiting factor here.

Rare poster here, just my 2p worth.

Gloves085

I started a new thread with a more descriptive title, to better put our finger on this exciting, but strange phenomenon...

I firmly believe that my card using the old version of Precision to OC it to a core speed of 738 would not have been stable.

I also firmly believe that using the new version of Precision to OC my 280, gives me a stable system with a 738MHz core.

Illogical as it may seem that the GPU should care what program asked it to run that fast, it does indeed appear to make a difference...

I encourage more posts on this matter, and let's not keep it a secret. Others may want to try OC'ing their card 1 more time. I got 47MHz more Core speed out of the new version myself, and the P14606 Vantage score is a new personal best!

Thanks thehippoz, for your fine detective work. It looks like to me that the new version of Precision works some magic on my card too.

I think we are starting to see an official pattern here...

I don't understand why everyone keeps going for the EVGA precision. As I understand it, it is just a dumbed-down copy of RivaTuner, so why not just use RivaTuner?

I don't understand why everyone keeps going for the EVGA precision. As I understand it, it is just a dumbed-down copy of RivaTuner, so why not just use RivaTuner?

You just answered your own question, its just a much simpler looking and easier to use oc tool, doesn't do anything that RivaTuner can't. But yeah, I don't understand how the tool makes the overclock higher unless the tool was locked down somehow to begin with.

"I don't understand" how you could ask such a dumb question...

Most people don't need or want the plethora of options that RivaTuner allows for. Many people just want something small, simple, and attractive that will still offer them the ability to overclock their card without having to jump through hoops and several boring windows just to get to the clock adjustment sliders. EVGA's Precision tool offers the core function of RivaTuner without any bloat, and it presents it's functionality in a single easy to access window with a small footprint.

I think it's a great little piece of software, and it's awesome that EVGA worked together with the author to create and distribute it. :)

/agree with Blue_Falcon.

That's why I used the EVGA Precision in the first place despite having RT installed

Unlinking shader from core is why your OC went higher. Shader seems to be the limiting factor on the GTX200's right now.

Previously, my 8800Ultra had problems reaching 1728 shader with 690 core but I dropped core to 648 and shader at 1728 was no problem. In fact, lowering mem clocks helped increase my core clock back up to 690 before as well. These clocks are all linked really.

Many people just want something small, simple, and attractive that will still offer them the ability to overclock their card without having to jump through hoops and several boring windows just to get to the clock adjustment sliders.

It's actually two mouse clicks, not a huge deal. But RivaTuner is a case study in ugly and unintuitive UI design I must admit.

I do not understand why the RivaTuner folks just didn't put the overclocking sliders on their own tab.

How high were you able to get your ultra? I am running SLI Superclocked Ultras and I am only sometimes able to get it around 700 core, what did you have your mem and shaders at?

Cool, I'm going to try the new version. Also, does anyone know how to make it not pop-up with the UAC thing on boot?

The new version they are probably using is the one that is for GT-200 cards only. It won't work on older cards.

1.2 and the current 1.3 work on my 8800GTXs. The 1.2 version wasn't posted on their site. It came on the driver CD with 260/280s.

The new version they are probably using is the one that is for GT-200 cards only. It won't work on older cards.

Not exactly true...

While it's true that version 1.2 was never released online by EVGA and was only made available on the EVGA driver CD that came with 260/280 launch cards, the program actually worked fine on all cards. :)

I guess giving version 1.2 exclusively to 260/280 owners was supposed to be some kind of perk for early adopters. Doesn't really matter any longer since version 1.3.x is out and is better anyway...

Long ago when I played the 3DMark game, CoolBits allowed higher overclocks then using PowerStrip.
Not sure what was up with that, but I game now instead of benching. :)

I agree, Riva Tuner can be really confusing and a bit intimidating for a first time user...

I use both, but I use RT to keep my OCs on all the time w/ no downclocking, while I use precision for the OCing...very simple and eye appealing

Rivatuner is better all around, but if precision makes it easier to accomplish the same thing then that's pretty cool. MSI has a pretty good OC tool as well.

It's actually two mouse clicks, not a huge deal. But RivaTuner is a case study in ugly and unintuitive UI design I must admit.

I do not understand why the RivaTuner folks just didn't put the overclocking sliders on their own tab.

Man you can't dog rivatuner, it's still the best regardless, as it is a universal oc tool, unlike the msi and evga oc tools which only work for their products. Rivatuner really isn't that hard to use though, as long as you read the instructions if your a first time user, it's as easy as pie.

Not 100%, but I know evga stated that it would only work with their products. Never actually tried it on a non-evga card.

I though Precision was supposed to work on other video cards. You sure about this?

The EVGA Precision overclocking tool will work with any modern card with an nvidia GPU no matter what vendor ID it has. EVGA has been quite public about this fact... So you can enjoy it no matter what board partner's sticker is on your card. :)

Not 100%, but I know evga stated that it would only work with their products. Never actually tried it on a non-evga card.
Where did you see that stated?
Others have downloaded it and it does work on non-EVGA cards. You need only register on their site.

Man you can't dog rivatuner, it's still the best regardless, as it is a universal oc tool, unlike the msi and evga oc tools which only work for their products. Rivatuner really isn't that hard to use though, as long as you read the instructions if your a first time user, it's as easy as pie.

Not dogging it, just saying that the UI is goofy, the tool is excellent however.

That was an honest question, I truly did not know, as I haven't used the evga precision OC utility, so next time be less of a dick, OK?

FightingWords.GIF

FYI - Unwinder set me straight in the thread over at the EVGA site. The link was in the OP. ;) :D

ORIGINAL: Unwinder

ORIGINAL: Talonman

Hard to believe... YES

True, I believe so...

How, I have no clue.

Unreal, even in theory. The things your'e reporting are called placebo effect. There are zero changes in overclocking code between _all_ versions of Precision and most important such improvements cannot exist even in theory because absolutely any overclocking tool (including Precision) never set clocks directly and leave this job for NVIDIA driver (meaning that overclockability depends on driver and hardware ONLY). I often see fun reports telling that RT overclocks better than Precision, Precision overclocks better than ATITool or new version of RivaTuner/Precision improves overclockability. And all these mysterious reports are simply not true.

All I know is the new version appeared to work better for me... Peace Brother!! :cool:

Now running with Core= 741, Shaders= 1512, and Memory= 1323:

The EVGA Precision overclocking tool will work with any modern card with an nvidia GPU no matter what vendor ID it has. EVGA has been quite public about this fact... So you can enjoy it no matter what board partner's sticker is on your card. :)

That's cool, except for how you have to register at their site. Why don't they just let you download the tool? Oh yah, evga is one big marketing machine, especially their forums. Don't post too much ati stuff there after you register, trust me :p

That's cool, except for how you have to register at their site. Why don't they just let you download the tool? Oh yah, evga is one big marketing machine, especially their forums. Don't post too much ati stuff there after you register, trust me :p

I didn't see it as too much of a hassle, seems like every site wants you to register to download anything these days.

As for the forums... well.... I love EVGA and consider myself pretty brand loyal to them, but the way they run their forums is downright atrocious. Not only did they choose the absolute worst backend software for the job, but they seem to have this knack for promoting the absolute worst forum trolls to moderator positions.

Not too long ago I nearly got banned there for arguing with one of the moderators about whether someones brand new PCIE 2.0 Radeon 9800GTX was backwards compatible with PCIE 1.x boards. He told the guy he'd need a new PCIE 2.0 compatible motherboard, I attempted to inform the guy that he in fact did not need a new motherboard. *sigh* Oh well it was quite entertaining anyway. :)

They paid the author of RivaTuner to make Precision for them. If registering is too hard, use RivaTuner.

when using "apply settings at startup" does it still ask for permission in windows vista with UAC on????

Yes.. 1 time...

When I was using Rivatuner, I used to get 2.

Mabey 1 for fan and 1 for clock settings? Not sure... ;)

I too would like not having to manually grant Precision permission to run on every re-boot.

Are you stating this because you KNOW this or are you just saying this? I ask because I KNOW that the software DOESN'T work with BFG, it says incompatible video card or something. I've personally tried it out and it doesn't work across manufacturers. you guys saying it does perplexes me.

Unless I was trying with the old version of the software it doesn't work for ALL manufactures. However, that said, the software did work for my 9600gt made by ECS; but it didn't on the 280's I was trying out (specifically the BFG card, it did not).

There you go, my .02

Are you stating this because you KNOW this or are you just saying this? I ask because I KNOW that the software DOESN'T work with BFG, it says incompatible video card or something. I've personally tried it out and it doesn't work across manufacturers. you guys saying it does perplexes me.

Unless I was trying with the old version of the software it doesn't work for ALL manufactures. However, that said, the software did work for my 9600gt made by ECS; but it didn't on the 280's I was trying out (specifically the BFG card, it did not).

There you go, my .02

Precision works just fine on my XFX 8800GT's

There you go, my .02

I have not had a problem using this software on ANY card. I can personally confirm that it works on BFG, PNY, Asus, Evga (duh), and MSI. Perhaps trying a new version on your 280's will solve the problem.

Personnally, I can use it with the EVGA GTX 260 (duh!), XFX 8800GT and BFG 8800GTS 640MB.

I guess the version will link core and shaders a bit differently but that's useless since you can still unlink core and shaders then overclock each individually. The GTX 200 series is a bit limited on shaders (crash when set over 1500-1600 in many cases).

There you go, my .02

Works on my Zotacs.

There you go, my .02

I'm saying this because I KNOW it. Not only has it been said many times by EVGA themselves, but I've tried it with several of the board partner's boards including BFG.

To date I know from personal experience that it works with EVGA, XFX, BFG, PNY, Asus, and Zotac cards. I think the only board partner's card I haven't tried it with is MSI...

I don't think EVGA Precision even checks the subvendor ID on the card's BIOS.

The only way you should have gotten such a message with your GTX280 is if it was a version prior to 1.2.x. Version 1.0.x and 1.1.x didn't have support for the GTX260/280 boards yet.

So, Rivatuner won't let me OC the core of my GTX260 past 700. It simply resets itself back to 700 when I try to go above it. Will this new version of Precision allow me to go beyond 700 on a vanilla eVGA 260?

I love the option to save multiple profiles in the new Precision. They also have been smartly implemented into the GUI, with keeping ease of use in mind....

Well done! You just set your clocks, hit apply, and right click on the profile number you want to remember your current settings. Done...

The Blue Edition skin has a handy lock icon to protect your saved profiles settings too...

I currently have my 10 slots set up like this for my 280:

Profile __ Core ____ Shaders __ Memory _ Comments:
Profile 1-- 602MHz - 1296MHz - 1107MHz - Stock 280 speed.

Profile 2-- 621MHz - 1350MHz - 1134MHz - SC speed

Profile 3-- 648MHz - 1404MHz - 1161MHz - SSC speed

Profile 4-- 670MHz - 1458MHz - 1215MHz - FTW speed

Profile 5-- 691MHz - 1512MHz - 1215MHz - HC speed

Profile 6-- 702MHz - 1512MHz - 1323MHz - For testing.

Profile 7-- 720MHz - 1512MHz - 1323MHz - For testing.

Profile 8-- 738MHz - 1512MHz - 1323MHz - For testing.

Profile 9-- 741MHz - 1512MHz - 1323MHz - Max I can bench, but COD4 rebooted.

Profile 0-- 738MHz - 1512MHz - 1323MHz - Current settings I am running.

My 0 profile is the one that I will be running at 99% of the time, but as new drivers come out, I may do some re-testing on the faster settings...

I did successfully play COD4 for 1 hour before profile 9 rebooted my system.
Mabey the next driver won't?

Note: At a 720MHz core speed with linked shaders, shader speed tries to jump to 1566MHz. I don't believe my 280's shaders will run that fast error free.
I keep my shaders speed set to 1512MHz, even when I pass a 720MHz Core speed. That darn Jane Nash keeps rebooting my system consistently, when I allow my shaders to run at 1566MHz.

The GTX 200 series is a bit limited on shaders (crash when set over 1500-1600 in many cases).

True in my case... ;)
When running with Core and Shaders linked, my shaders will fail first...

Precision Art: I call this one, "She's A Runner!!" :D

Back