the next WoW like game?

Why is that sad? If you play for 3 months straight you should have good gear and know what you're doing. Yes, wow has gotten easier but I think that is a good thing. There are still those leet people that run 25 man ICC on heroic. So the bridge between hardcore and not so hardcore has lessened but it is definitely still there.

Its sad because it shows how the game is way too easy. I played it for 5 weeks back when the level cap was 70. It took me 4 weeks to solo to 70 (playing about 35 hours a week, I knew other people that could cap out a new toon in 1 week), one week to get a lot of good gear, and 5 minutes to cancel my subscription because there was nothing of significance left to do.

5 weeks to basically "win" the game, starting from scratch without ever having played the game before.

Obviously it is longer now, but it is still sad that it takes only 3 months to "win". I have been playing EQ off and on for years and not even gotten close to "winning". That is sad too in a different way, I just wish there was a happy medium, a game that was challenging, but where you could reliably get to the end of the current expansion before the next one came out, but not too soon before.

sounds like you didn't raid than, because you sure as hell can't get "alot of good gear" in one week.
decent starting gear maybe, but not great gear.
Another thing, solo'ing in wow is horrible its an mmo group up with your friends!

Guild Wars 2 is going to be huge they have changed the whole game around to an open world and being able to explore underwater just makes it that much more huge. If any game coming out soon that has a chance of being as big as WoW I think it might be GW2. Check out some videos here

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/

If you think the end-game for WoW is short and/or too easy, then you never competed at the top tier ratings for Arenas (right now, 2000+ is incredibly challenging) nor have you raided 25-man ICC. ICC is incredibly challenging and the boss encounters are diverse. Saurfang, Putricide, Bloodqueen and Sindragosa all teach you a little bit about how the Lich King encounter plays out.

Now if you want a real challenge, then you need to kill Lich King in either 10-man heroic or 25-man heroic. Either way, if you can down him in hardmode, then you are in the top 1% of the player-base.

Its sad because it shows how the game is way too easy. I played it for 5 weeks back when the level cap was 70. It took me 4 weeks to solo to 70 (playing about 35 hours a week, I knew other people that could cap out a new toon in 1 week), one week to get a lot of good gear, and 5 minutes to cancel my subscription because there was nothing of significance left to do.

5 weeks to basically "win" the game, starting from scratch without ever having played the game before.

Obviously it is longer now, but it is still sad that it takes only 3 months to "win". I have been playing EQ off and on for years and not even gotten close to "winning". That is sad too in a different way, I just wish there was a happy medium, a game that was challenging, but where you could reliably get to the end of the current expansion before the next one came out, but not too soon before.

It sounds like you need to stick with EQ until a slightly less grindy game comes out. WoW feels like it has plenty of content for me, but I only play ~10 hours a week now.

What do you mean by "win" the game? For many people that's beating the hardest boss, but for most it's getting the absolute best items possible for your character. It's very fast to get good items now in WoW, but it's still takes time to get the best.

It's been impossible for a group of 25-40 to "win" within a week. If you joined in to a group of people that had already "won" then you could beat all the fights and get gear extremely quickly - they already beat it and already have the gear.

Funny thing I don't think anyone has mentioned Star Trek Online[/U] which actually is kind of fun. Especially the space battles.

Libram of Renewal is still BiS for holy paladin using a HoL build (HoL build being the holy paladin raiding build).

Yeah because Holy pallies' rotation is HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT. It's a one button class.

-shameless promotion-

I still have a blast playing Dark Age of Camelot, tbh, and I don't believe there is a better MMO out there, atm, that is.

nothing is even close to wow. all those new mmos have failed, warhammer aoc aion etc.

thats why wow doesnt even try anymore, the content in wotlk is horrid compared to bc.

Yeah because Holy pallies' rotation is HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT HOLY LIGHT. It's a one button class.

Not going to address the second sentence.

However, you asked for an example of an ilvl 200 being superior to ilvl >200 gear and I enlightened you.

Update:

I'm not going to lie... I bought a new keyboard last week and it came with a trial version of WoW. I've been playing it ever since. It's actually quite fun. I've even let the fps's slide to the back. It's unfortunate that you can't move your character from server to server though.

My in game name = runwithit. Go figure.

I'm on one of the new player servers... ?? Can't remember which one. Anyone on playing? Which server?

if you're asking if there will be a future game similar to wow's success then that is highly unlikely.

the only game i can see coming close to that would be blizzard's own next mmo.

if you're asking if there are alternative mmo's that play similar to wow. sure, you have a lot of choices.

assuming you're an avid mmo fan, most people hop back to wow cause of what other mmo's lack.

I'm not sure what the next "WoW type" game will be as I'm just waiting until Spring 2011 for SW:TOR.

sounds like you didn't raid than, because you sure as hell can't get "alot of good gear" in one week.
decent starting gear maybe, but not great gear.
Another thing, solo'ing in wow is horrible its an mmo group up with your friends!

Actually, you can do it in a week, or so, after hitting 80 now. With the gated nature of ICC, I ended up being bored enough to level my paladin alt to 80 at xmas time. Dinged 80 on Dec20, tanked the first wing of icc10 and completed togc10 before new years. Then again, you can run heroics for emblems until you puke if you can tank. Having your main with 100k or more gold also allows for spending sprees in GDKP runs ;)

You have no idea what you're talking about.

On topic: Have there been any rumors about what Blizzard is working on? Any speculation?

Yeah I forgot you have to beacon of light someone before you start Holy Lighting. WHOOPS.

Reading this makes me want to go back to WoW or at least try it out again. I just quit EQ2 and am looking for something more casual.

Yeah I forgot you have to beacon of light someone before you start Holy Lighting. WHOOPS.

Sounds like someone got owned by a Pally once and has been holding a grudge.

On topic, WoW always has something new and fun for me to do in it. Been playing for years (met my wife in game too) and I just started rolling a balance Druid. Most fun I've had in a long time.

I tried the game once, long time ago and thought it sucked because I chose a warrior (scared to admit to friends that I cast magic missiles, so I had a sword). Once I tried again 4 months later with a new class, I was hooked.

Sounds like someone got owned by a Pally once and has been holding a grudge.

On topic, WoW always has something new and fun for me to do in it. Been playing for years (met my wife in game too) and I just started rolling a balance Druid. Most fun I've had in a long time.

I tried the game once, long time ago and thought it sucked because I chose a warrior (scared to admit to friends that I cast magic missiles, so I had a sword). Once I tried again 4 months later with a new class, I was hooked.

Yeah I always get pwnd by holy pallies on the healing meters in raids because I'm a mage. I'm just they have one spell to cast.

Yeah I always get pwnd by holy pallies on the healing meters in raids because I'm a mage. I'm just they have one spell to cast.

Anger! You haz it.

Who cares if they have "one button" (whether true or untrue)? No need to say it over and over aaaaaand over. It's the internet, you win.

Blood and Soul might be big if it delivers on expectations. I'm not looking forward to SWTOR, seems like they decided to throw away all the story elements that made the KotOR series awesome.

Anger! You haz it.

Who cares if they have "one button" (whether true or untrue)? No need to say it over and over aaaaaand over. It's the internet, you win.

Sounds like all the Holy Pallies in here are angry. Have to switch what key you have Holy Light bound to once a week because you mash on it so much it breaks.

I'm not looking forward to SWTOR, seems like they decided to throw away all the story elements that made the KotOR series awesome.
You obviously haven't read one thing about SW:TOR then because it's immensely story driven and that's the focal point of leveling - being able to go from level 1 to max via the story for your character/class.

Go ahead and give WoW a shot! Nothing to lose...

Once a month or so, I get a craving to go back to WoW and start over again, then I realize that I made it to the endgame and got incredibly bored and frustrated.

I left right as WOTLK went beta, and before we cleared Sunwell for the week, I was leading a pug for loot/gold.

Go ahead and give WoW a shot! Nothing to lose...

But your SOUL!

mr_burns.gif

You obviously haven't read one thing about SW:TOR then because it's immensely story driven and that's the focal point of leveling - being able to go from level 1 to max via the story for your character/class.

Actually I visited the site pretty often, then I got enough info to realize how much of what I liked about the earlier games wouldn't be making it in.

You obviously need to realize SW:TOR fails many expectations even if it meets yours.

Actually I visited the site pretty often, then I got enough info to realize how much of what I liked about the earlier games wouldn't be making it in.

You obviously need to realize SW:TOR fails many expectations even if it meets yours.
Well you only stated that SW:TOR will not have any type of story elements in the game, which is blatantly false.

Comparing KOTOR to SW:TOR is quite silly. Two different type of games so your expectations about an MMO were never going to bet met.

What exactly were you (or are you) expecting to be in the game?

dont play wow unless you have alot of time to waste lol. the new starwars mmo looks kinda disappointing

Back