The Official 100 HDCP ready video card list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I don't think movie studios will wait until 2010. I am guessing it will be in late
2007 or in 2008 when the ICTs will be turned on. There is going to be so much unauthorized
copying that they will start using the ICT sooner than they said. They never really made a
promise or anything anyways.

Eh i say the flags wont be turned on till the xbox360 and maybe even the ps3 is phased out. The main reason why the flags arent on to begin with was a gentalmens agreement with the new game platforms so they would be able to do 100% of everything over component cables. ten year olds are not going to under stand why the image comes up blank on there xbox360 when they play hd-dvds over their dvi ports because it came out pre hdmi video card, oh wait ms didnt even open that can of worms and made it component only, and then worked with the studios so that the flag wouldnt be turned on till after the product cycle.

I added the Connect3D X1900 GT, the XpertVision 7950 GX2 and 7950 GT, and the Albatron 7950 GX2.
Weeeee!

I just wanted to make sure, even though for instance none of the boxes on the 7950GX2's on newegg have HDCP on them, they infact are able to play back hd dvd and bluray discs? When I go to evga's website for instance and look at the specs on the EVGA 7950GX2 I see no mention of HDCP.

I just got the XFX 7950 passive cooled HDCP card. It will eventually go into my HTPC b/c of its silent operation and HDCP support. However for now it will run in my main desktop b/c I don't have a HD-DVD player and even if I did I don't know that it matters b/c of the whole studios not encrypting their material.

My only question is am i ignorant for not waiting for DX10? Will DX10 shake the earth and cause me to lose all value on my DX9 cards?

Gigabyte finally added their 7950 GT to their site. It is pretty cool, it comes with a Zalman
VF700 installed.

I added the Powercolor X1300 HDMI as well.

Added the Elsa 7950 GX2. I know tons of people were wondering why it was not on the list yet.

unimatrixzer0 said:
Do any of the 7900GTO's such as the eVGA offer HDCP support?

I don't think so. Once more manufacturers put the card on their site I will know, and then so will you.

When using SLi or Crossfire, do I need both of the card to be HDCP ready or just the primary card is required to have the HDCP chip?

alg7_munif said:
When using SLi or Crossfire, do I need both of the card to be HDCP ready or just the primary card is required to have the HDCP chip?

That is a good question. To be safe I would suggest that you make sure both cards are HDCP ready.

I think that if only one of the cards is HDCP ready, you can turn SLi or CrossFire off
and use only that card to play the video. After all, SLi or CrossFire is not needed to play a
video. As long as the protected video data is not passed to a non-HDCP ready piece of
hardware you should be ok.

I am gonna ask Brent to comment on this. Let's see if he knows something I don't.

mentok1982 said:
I am gonna ask Brent to comment on this. Let's see if he knows something I don't.

Thanks,

I think you should put about it in the first post as well when you get the answer. In SLi only one monitor can be used, so the monitor must be connected to the card with HDCP(should be set as primary). The question now is should SLi be disabled or not to watch movies, I think with SLi the load on the CPU will be less(I've read that the load on CPU when watching HD content is high when the GPU is not used)

Added another XFX 7900 GTX Ghost Recon Bundle and the Elsa and Chaintech 7950 GTs.

Added the Sapphire X1950 XT, another HIS X1950 Pro and a few missing 7950 GX2s and 7950 GTs.

Why can't we get a freaking 7600GT with HDCP that's fanless?...

We've got fanless 7600GT's and we've got 7600GT's with HDCP. You think someone would want to capitalize on this and have both... :rolleyes:

Stereodude said:
Why can't we get a freaking 7600GT with HDCP that's fanless?...

We've got fanless 7600GT's and we've got 7600GT's with HDCP. You think someone would want to capitalize on this and have both... :rolleyes:

If you really want it, get the MSI Diamond or the Asus and put a nice heatsink on it.

mentok1982 said:
If you really want it, get the MSI Diamond or the Asus and put a nice heatsink on it.
If I was going to do that I'd start with a cheaper HDCP equipped 7600GT card. I'm not hard up about having a HDMI output from the card. DVI + HDCP is fine.

What's the cheapest HDCP card out there right now? I just need something decent to run movies off my old computer (Opteron 165) so that I can plug it into my TV's HDMI port.

RexPokinghorn said:
What's the cheapest HDCP card out there right now? I just need something decent to run movies off my old computer (Opteron 165) so that I can plug it into my TV's HDMI port.
You don't need HDCP for that. I'm currently using a 6600GT (no HDCP) to my TV's HDMI input and it works great. You only need a card that supports HDCP if you plan on using it for Blu-Ray or HD-DVD.

Anyone know where to pick up the MSI x1950Pro 512MB (RX1950PRO-VT2D512E) in the US? Really wanting to pick up 2 for crossfire, but can't find them anywhere.

bass4040 said:
Which video cards on the list are AGP with HDCP?

None for right now. If I can confirm that the X1950 Pro AGP is HDCP compliant, it will be the first one.

bass4040 said:
Which video cards on the list are AGP with HDCP?

What's about the "SAPPHIRE Radeon X1600Pro 256MB HDMI AGP"? Or can an HDMI card also be without HDCP?

raffcjab said:
What's about the "SAPPHIRE Radeon X1600Pro 256MB HDMI AGP"? Or can an HDMI card also be without HDCP?

That is a good find. That card is for sale almost exclusively in the UK and it does not have its
own page at Sapphire's US or UK website. If you find any more AGP HDCP cards please let
me know.

Stereodude said:
You don't need HDCP for that. I'm currently using a 6600GT (no HDCP) to my TV's HDMI input and it works great. You only need a card that supports HDCP if you plan on using it for Blu-Ray or HD-DVD.

So I'm still wondering which HDCP is the cheapest for a htpc rig with a blu-ray drive in it. All the searching through newegg, and review sites is making my head hurt.

Phelptwan said:
So I'm still wondering which HDCP is the cheapest for a htpc rig with a blu-ray drive in it. All the searching through newegg, and review sites is making my head hurt.

Well the cheapest card is probably going to be one of the low end cards like the X1300 or
7600 series. There are not that many of them listed so I suggest starting from there. If I can I
will post some links for you but I think you are capable. I have faith in your abilities.

Says ready for HDCP content on ATI site and on Bestbuy even says HDCP hardware decoding supports HDTV, Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD applications for resolutions up to 1080i.

mentok1982 said:
None for right now. If I can confirm that the X1950 Pro AGP is HDCP compliant, it will be the first one.

I'm building a HTPC where silence, heat and power consumption are more important than a few FPS in games. I looked at all the charts on the Anandtech article that compares HDCP cards and came to a few conclusions. Everybody is welcome to check my work.

The best cards for strict HTPC use are the ones with a minimal factory overclock, if one at all. These are best overall cards taking into account heat, noise, power consumption and HDCP compliance:

Sparkle Calilbre 7950GT
PNY GeForce 7950GT
BFG GeForce 7950 GX2

I chose the 7950GT as a minimum instead of the GS series or an ATI card for a variety of reasons. TheaterTek/ZoomPlayer and nVidia's Purevideo I believe are better than ATI's offering, and the 7600GS and below lack a couple options for video. See HERE.

If the manufacturers came out with more 7600GT options with HDCP support, that would be even better. Any 7600 or better from nVidia can handle hi-def video given a Core2Duo to power it. Of course if you plan on buying an aftermarket GPU heatsink, then the above list doesn't matter as much, although it's still beneficial to avoid a highly overclocked card for HTPC use.

PS. I really don't recommend the factory cards with passive heatsinks. They run way too hot considering an HTPC will usually have minimal case fans already. It would be better to spend $30 and buy a proven aftermarket HS or HSF combo for the video card.

-Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back