The official ARMA 2 Thread, Watch these Videos and join the Hype!

If the AI was even halfway decent the game would be so much better but the AI was written in 1995.

I installed it, ran at like 2fps on a quad core amd 4890. I'm trying the demo to see if it's anything different in the performance department. I love the concept but unless I'm on a 16 core 30 gig 4 x sli rig this game just doesn't want to work - same story as the first ones.

I installed it, ran at like 2fps on a quad core amd 4890. I'm trying the demo to see if it's anything different in the performance department. I love the concept but unless I'm on a 16 core 30 gig 4 x sli rig this game just doesn't want to work - same story as the first ones.

Game runs fine for me and I have the same setup you "described"

1680x1050 multiplayer I have everything on very high with view distance of 10k. Average 35-40 fps

Singleplayer I have a mix of normal/high and view distance of 3k. Average 25-30 fps.

Game runs fine for me and I have the same setup you "described"

1680x1050 multiplayer I have everything on very high with view distance of 10k. Average 35-40 fps

Singleplayer I have a mix of normal/high and view distance of 3k. Average 25-30 fps.

You got to love noobies like N3mi5is here, that think when he/she set their viewing distance to 10k in video settings he/she will get that distance in multiplayer. News flash for you, the settings you set in Options/Video/Advanced don't do crap in multiplayer ;) Settings are set for you by the server or you need to change it manually via in game menu, one of the most common ones is to scroll down with wheel till you find "Show Status" menu and there you can find Settings button.

Ahahaha.... Very High and 10000 meters viewing distance :p

You got to love noobies like N3mi5is here, that think when he/she set their viewing distance to 10k in video settings he/she will get that distance in multiplayer. News flash for you, the settings you set in Options/Video/Advanced don't do crap in multiplayer ;) Settings are set for you by the server or you need to change it manually via in game menu, one of the most common ones is to scroll down with wheel till you find "Show Status" menu and there you can find Settings button.

Ahahaha.... Very High and 10000 meters viewing distance :p
I haven't played for a while but I clearly remember Anisotropic Filtering, Anti-Aliasing, Texture Resolution, and Post Processing setting definitely took effect in multiplayer.

Unless you're talking about other settings that I can't remember off the top of my head, in which case I'm sorry.

You got to love noobies like N3mi5is here, that think when he/she set their viewing distance to 10k in video settings he/she will get that distance in multiplayer.

:rolleyes:

Sorry for not being an arma veteran. But in versus multiplayer I understand that being a feature, but I only play coop online and don't see why it would force server video settings when we are all against AI.

Yeah your right showing me a video of AI running 5 feet then standing in place while a machine gun fires at them only to repeat that process multiple times is an awesome example. Plus, I would not really consider having AI surrender something special, seems fairly lacking when the fundamentals are not present.

When I order troops into a vehicle that is within a few feet it takes forever because of poor path mapping. I especially love how they will run up next to the vehicle then stand for a few seconds then continue into the vehicle. Whats better is if you order troops into a vehicle then move the vehicle a few feet forward it totally ruins the path and takes what I find to be too long for them to enter a vehicle.

The other great part is when you are playing with a handful of other AI teams I love how they just run around fairly randomly without any sense of what they are doing. Give them a vehicle and the problem is intensified. I love watching AI attempt to drive a vehicle with objects around especially when they continue to drive back and forth because with the logic provided they cannot do any better in tight areas.

Graphics are decent and the game is will be alright for MP/Co-op but it lacks like most of its predecessors. I remember having huge hope for Soldner but it fell flat with a poor release. If you are going to try and argue you truly are a game zealot.

Took out a squad of patrolling AI today in a 4 player campaign mission with a well place rpg.

Laughs were had all around.

Anybody get past the bugged single-player mission Bitter Chill. Every thing was going great and I was seriously digging the game until the whole thing shit the bed and some script didn't kick off or something. Well documented bug, just dono if anybody's found a way around it yet...

I have been playing with some of the modules in the editor and it is amazing powerful. I noticed the quality of the AI really depends on how well the mission is setup. Using the ambient combat module can add some nice randomness to missions too. SecOps module can be fun as well.

I have a believe that with proper scripting, waypoints and triggers it might be possible to recreate a semi-dynamic war (with fixed starting assets) with an actual front line (something more organized and "real" feeling than Warfare mode), and less scripted than the built in campaign (I havn't viewed what others have done, so maybe it has already been done).

My only wish is that the scripting was better documented.

Sean can you explain the modules a bit? No matter what I try when I tie a module to the squad leader and preview I never get any action, it seems like I'm doing something wrong.

How you use them depends on the module.

For instance the Ambient Civilian and Civilan vehicle modules do not need to be synced to anyone. The 1st Aid modules I havn't completely figured out but I have found success in simply placing them and also syncing them to the player (also to the squad leader). Also if you have a med-evac heli or APC setup with a support waypoint it will get called into action with those in place. I think to fully use them some scripting is required.

Arty requires scripting to function since you have to setup a support dialog for it. Arty gets synced to the leader of a arty battery (must be located near each other for proper firing solution) and you must loaded a special "ARTY" magazine in the unit INIT options. Arty can be started by different means depending on the script used. The quick and dirty way is to do it through the SecOps module, but that will introduce random side missions into the mission as well.

Basic guide for the Arty module: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Artillery_Module

So I got mine yesterday and played it a few hours and I got a very positive vibe from it. I'm running it at 1680x1050 with everything set to High in advanced graphics settings and AA/AF at Normal and the game looks very good.

I also like that you are basically free to do whatever you want after that certain mission when your objective is to find the enemy leaders.

One thing I didn't like though was how the aiming "accelerates" when moving the mouse a bit faster. For example in boot camp when shooting at the range, the crosshair always went over the targets when I tried to aim fast.

Well i'm now in the mission "bitter chill" in the single player campaign.

I tell my squad to cease fire, and after a minute or two one of them ends up firing anyways, giving away our position. Seems no matter what I do I can't get them to crawl all the way into the woods before one of them cancels the cease fire on themselves. But I will admit I haven't tried a cease-fire in any previous mission for a long period of time so it might not be isolated to this mission.

I don't understand the map. I'm on the training mission where I have to command two soldiers and I'm being told to order one soldier into a vehicle that the other is in and I'm supposed to do this from my map. I see no indicators that show where the vehicle is. There is no indicator for where my soldier is either. I tried right clicking the map to see if that would bring up a menu but I think it just allows me to move the map.

I don't understand the map. I'm on the training mission where I have to command two soldiers and I'm being told to order one soldier into a vehicle that the other is in and I'm supposed to do this from my map. I see no indicators that show where the vehicle is. There is no indicator for where my soldier is either. I tried right clicking the map to see if that would bring up a menu but I think it just allows me to move the map.

Not everything is on the map, but use the radio menu and you should be able to tell the grunts to enter any specific vehicle you currently can see.
(or hold down space and point at the car, select "get in")

I have to say, after supporting this game and loving it I have noticed since the 1.03 patch it has pretty much died. Servers are empty (ArmA Chicago -a formerly popular server- has been renamed 'The Junkyard' and the TS server says 'Go away this game blows') Performance was supposed to be better - and it is, until you fucking freeze for a second or two every couple minutes. That shit gets old when you get killed because of it. I thought it was my rig, however I have heard widespread complaints of this. I had high hopes for this game, but as it is now it is utter shit.

Hopefully ACE 2 comes out soon - at least the little 14 year old fuckwads are gone now that school is back in session.

I have to say, after supporting this game and loving it I have noticed since the 1.03 patch it has pretty much died. Servers are empty (ArmA Chicago -a formerly popular server- has been renamed 'The Junkyard' and the TS server says 'Go away this game blows') Performance was supposed to be better - and it is, until you fucking freeze for a second or two every couple minutes. That shit gets old when you get killed because of it. I thought it was my rig, however I have heard widespread complaints of this. I had high hopes for this game, but as it is now it is utter shit.

Hopefully ACE 2 comes out soon - at least the little 14 year old fuckwads are gone now that school is back in session.

So it's the games fault you run at to high settings...gotcha :rolleyes:

Well here is hoping Operation Flashpoint 2 is what we were looking for :D A somewhat realistic BattlefIeld 2 style game. I want more o a Joint Ops style gameplay, but with graphics from 2009. I don;t like the teenage arcade feel of BattleField2, but also Arma2 was too hardcore for me, I like a good middle ground and Joint Op's always fit there, hopefully OP2 is better than Arma2

So it's the games fault you run at to high settings...gotcha :rolleyes:

Did you not read what I posted? IT IS NOT JUST MYSELF - it is not 'because it's at too high of settings' - I didn't change any settings since I got it. The short freezing started AFTER 1.03 came out. As I said before I have been hearing the same thing from multiple people who all thought 'it was just their rig' until they heard others complaining about it.

PS: it's 'too' not 'to', fucking genius troll is genius.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/61573

Obviously this game is seeing nice support and some robust future plans for it.

I had a hard time with the demo on some gameplay issues but I'm told that the final game, especially now, is a bit more solid and such.

How is the game doing these days and what do you all say to a fence sitter such as myself?

I own it am glad i bought it but here is the rundown.

The AI/pathing is still laughable. I already know someone is going to try and argue that it is not but there is no argument here. AI have a difficult time driving especially in the cities. Also ordering team movements can often be a pain in the ass. One of the my biggest gripes is that when you order teammates to enter a vehicle they all follow a predetermined path to get inside the vehicle. So for instance on helicopters (or at least the ones i have used) the teams MUST enter from the left side, even if everyone is standing on the right. My biggest frustration came from jumping in a helicopter transportation before my team and the blades start turnings....the pathing was so static that they ran right into the rear blades......

The game is still fun multiplayer if you get together with some people and even single if you have some patience.

Yes, you have to get used to the many quirks the game entails but it has been worth it for me. I am set to try out the new ACE 2 mod public beta to see just what they've done with it.

The recent betas and ACE 2 as well as many other mods have done amazing things to improve the game. Some of the inital bugs remain, but there's just so much going for this now. It seems like Flashpoint 2 dropped off the face of the earth, whereas Arma 2 is just about to start its stride. Also, somewhere along the line (not sure if its some of the beta fixes or what) but my performance issues are gone now.

oh - it might be because I have an SSD now. On second thought that's probably the reason.

I own it am glad i bought it but here is the rundown.

The AI/pathing is still laughable. I already know someone is going to try and argue that it is not but there is no argument here. AI have a difficult time driving especially in the cities. Also ordering team movements can often be a pain in the ass. One of the my biggest gripes is that when you order teammates to enter a vehicle they all follow a predetermined path to get inside the vehicle. So for instance on helicopters (or at least the ones i have used) the teams MUST enter from the left side, even if everyone is standing on the right. My biggest frustration came from jumping in a helicopter transportation before my team and the blades start turnings....the pathing was so static that they ran right into the rear blades......

Can/will any of these things be addressed by either the developers or the mod community?

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/61573

Obviously this game is seeing nice support and some robust future plans for it.

I had a hard time with the demo on some gameplay issues but I'm told that the final game, especially now, is a bit more solid and such.

How is the game doing these days and what do you all say to a fence sitter such as myself?

i have not played this game for a few months because of fifa 10 and personal problems but i am going to jump right in as soon as i finish uncharted 2.

This game is GOTY material for me. Thats how brilliant this game is

Back