The Official "Bioshock" Thread! (Release Date: August 21st)

CKMorpheus

[H]ard|Gawd
Since the game is less than a month from release, I thought it was time to give one of the biggest games of the year it's own thread.

Bioshockcoverfinal.jpg

BioShock is said by the developers to include a great deal of interactive environments and player-driven choices, called emergent gameplay, with Ken Levine stating its interactivity would be "unprecedented". While the term has been used for a variety of games, such as the popular Grand Theft Auto series, it is believed that this gameplay will borrow highly from System Shock and System Shock 2. Another point of focus is the "AI ecology", which will dynamically search for opportunities to fulfill their purpose. The player can even exploit the ecology to his/her advantage, making enemies and NPCs turn against each other or otherwise manipulate them into helping the player.

One of the more informative official game sites around, the Cult of Rapture is full of great downloads and information. Including a very busy forum, wallpapers, buddy icons, screenshots, podcasts (and lots of them), gameplay videos, in-game plasmid examples.

Sign up for the forums and you can get an awesome gamer pic or theme for your 360, one of the many perks of being a 'cult member.' You can find out more about the perks and how to get them here.

This is a preliminary look at the Limited Edition content...
bioshock_le.jpg

The BioShock Limited Edition will be available to US and Canada exclusively at GameStop and EB (this i didn't know) for US$59.99 (PC LE) and US$69.99 (Xbox 360™ LE). The Limited Edition will also be available in other territories and details about ordering a copy will be coming soon.

I picked up my pre-order at Best Buy the other day.

Can't wait to finally have this in my hand. System Shock 2 is one of my top 5 games of all time.

All further news and updates about the game should be posted here.

Pre-ordered my LE PC-DVD version at my EB months ago. The Big Daddy figurine will sit nice next to my Doom 3 Pinky Demon one from that LE from EB. I'm taking the day off work probably too. Will do the same for Crysis and possibly Hellgate: London as well. Can't wait!

After seeing some previews, that game looks pretty disturbing. The whole "harvesting" that stuff from the little sisters...

This game's going to to be awesome. I can't wait. In my list, this is second only to Crysis.

Here's hoping the LE is also available in my country, since those types of editions, are usually what I buy (in both games and movies).

Started to lose interest in this when the lead developer basically admited they were after making a shooter first and then have all the other cool stuff piled on top of that, so it will still appeal to the corridoor shooter fans. It's also dissapointing to see that all we've seen in the videos released so far is hectic combat and nothing to display examples of the level of freedom or choice the player gets.

I'm sure it will be a neat game but I'm starting to think all the hype behind the moral choices, and freedom etc, is all a bit premature.

ooo. Its going to be in a metal case?

Nifty. I love metal cases for my games. Flashy. :) I've preorderd my game long ago, but this is the first time I've seen a blowout of everything that was included.

Started to lose interest in this when the lead developer basically admited they were after making a shooter first and then have all the other cool stuff piled on top of that, so it will still appeal to the corridoor shooter fans. It's also dissapointing to see that all we've seen in the videos released so far is hectic combat and nothing to display examples of the level of freedom or choice the player gets.

I'm sure it will be a neat game but I'm starting to think all the hype behind the moral choices, and freedom etc, is all a bit premature.

I'll have to go find it but there was a video where they showed the player approaching a combat situation 3 different ways. I think one was going in with all guns blazing, another was hacking turrets and setting traps, and another was getting the big daddy to help you you. Everything turned out very different each time.

However i do agree that the hype feels a little overblown. I hope i'm wrong though. I'm looking forward to this.

EDIT: Here it is - http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/06/new-bioshock-video-appears-narrated-by-ken-levine/

Yeah it looks like there will be a lot of combat here, I saw the video of the multiple approaches to the fight. Pretty interesting, particularly preparing to assault the Big Daddy.

EDIT: HD version(everybody's on broadband anyway right? Gametrailers always has the HD version of this stuff)
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21276.html

But I see what Frosteh means, I also saw the interview with Ken Levine where he admitted that his publisher was conflicted about System Shock's presentation in a world of FPS. To paraphrase, they want to present it as a "kick-ass shooter" first, with other stuff involved. The explanation was that System Shock was difficult to market due to its hybrid FPS/RPG nature.

And I have been seeing more combat than I remember in System Shock. But then, these are videos, so the pacing may be such that the action parts are denser and set at a higher tempo than before, but still keeping the tense non-combat atmospheric areas distributed throughout.

So I'll have to take a 'wait and see' stance to see if this lives up to the high bar set by System Shock 2. If it can't pull that off, I'm sure this "kick-ass shooter" will at least be somewhat entertaining, though ultimately forgettable.

Pre-ordered my LE PC-DVD version at my EB months ago. The Big Daddy figurine will sit nice next to my Doom 3 Pinky Demon one from that LE from EB. I'm taking the day off work probably too. Will do the same for Crysis and possibly Hellgate: London as well. Can't wait!

I got two Doom 3 figures and the figures from Prey's Special Edition as well. They will duke it
out in an epic battle!

I have so many games to buy it's rediculous.

PS3:
Heavenly Sword *09/04?
Lair *08/14
Haze *Q4

PC:
Bioshock *08/21
Medal of Honor: Airborne *08/27
Crysis *09/11

I'm broke! I'm broke! lol

P.S. When the hell is HL2: Episode 2 coming out already?

I'll have to go find it but there was a video where they showed the player approaching a combat situation 3 different ways. I think one was going in with all guns blazing, another was hacking turrets and setting traps, and another was getting the big daddy to help you you. Everything turned out very different each time.

However i do agree that the hype feels a little overblown. I hope i'm wrong though. I'm looking forward to this.

EDIT: Here it is - http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/06/new-bioshock-video-appears-narrated-by-ken-levine/

Yeah I've seen that, it seems that all the options are combat based ones, I just thought the game was a bit deeper than that, original interviews and demonstrations discussed balancing ammo with plasmids with other things which are consumeable (i think one was a type of currency) so that you could trade currency for ammo or plasmids or use one to obtain the other, and it was a careful balance between these resources. Now its more shoot your way through everything with a few cool tool to help you out.

Still, graphically it looks stunning and imersive, I still can't wait to play it.

Thanks for the links. Looks interesting.

Edit:

Oh wow I just saw the ending of the trailer. What's this harvesting or changing ppl. Seemed cool how there were a few ways to go at getting the little girl.

Sounds perverted.

Wow, the graphics look amazing, and the gameplay looks sweet. The sound in the game sounds really impressive too. Any benchmarks out yet?

WHOA>..the more i see of bioshack the more i want...

time to order that Q6600 :p

Adam is what you harvest from the little sisters. Maybe that's the currency you're thinking of? I know there's an xbox achievement for not harvesting any little sisters, so i wonder how that affects the way you play. From what i remember, you can't actually kill the little sisters with your weapons, but they haven't said what harvesting does to the little sister. Apparently she's not human.

o man that video looks so cool.

I love how you can use so many things so stragically throughout the game instead of running and blowing eeverything up.

Damn it.

I want this game soooo bad, but I dont have a computer to play it on, and I refuse to buy a 360.

Looks like Metroid Prime 3 wins by default.

Son of a bitch!
Ah, well.... at least I'll be able to buy it cheaper later....

Harvesting little sisters... sounds kinda funny. Well, how little is little?

Though this game isn't at the top of my list, it looks interesting enough for me to play it. We'll have to see when the time comes if I want it or not.

Uh, excuse me? Crysis? HL2:Ep 2 et al? Assassin's Creed?

I have a lot above Bioshock, actually.

For me above Bioshock includes, Assassins Creed, Crysis, TF2, UT3, Left 4 Dead, and possibly spore.

Ideally I'm looking for a decent multiplayer that will last a long while, TF2 I reckon will be MASSIVE online, same with UT3, these automatically put them high on my list :)

excuse me? not at the top?...... :p

Everyone has different tastes and all....

Bioshock is the number one game on my most wanted list for 2007,followed by Spore then Crysis,and Witcher (assuming it hits retail this year) Hellgate,Stranglehold,and
a long list of others coming this year and next.

Everyone has different tastes and all....

Bioshock is the number one game on my most wanted list for 2007,followed by Spore then Crysis,and Witcher (assuming it hits retail this year) Hellgate,Stranglehold,and
a long list of others coming this year and next.

You seem to have an affinity for single player games. Fair enough. I personally like to get more than, on the high end 100 hours of gameplay out of a single game. God only knows how many thousands of hours I've logged in Q3A and CS.

Back