The official "clean desktop" club.

He probably just took a screenshot in Oblivion, I hate having a cluttered desktop too, I organize my stuff into folders...

Scrot.png

I cant seem to find any backgrounds that I really like. Im thinking of photochopping this one so the background isnt so dang bright (my eyes dont like bright).

background.jpg

The backgrounds folder wont delete because windows thinks its in use, and I havent bothered to get rid of the useless recycling bin. CS and megaping are on the desktop, for obvious reasons.

DR_K13 said:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/racer138138/Scrot.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
Hey, that's not very clean. What's with all the stuff on the right-hand side?

PCMusicGuy: A man after my own heart. Let's have that BG, shall we?

[QUOTE=bob]I cant seem to find any backgrounds that I really like. Im thinking of photochopping this one so the background isnt so dang bright (my eyes dont like bright).

[img]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h188/theinsomniac/background.jpg[img]

The backgrounds folder wont delete because windows thinks its in use, and I havent bothered to get rid of the useless recycling bin. CS and megaping are on the desktop, for obvious reasons.[/QUOTE]
Hide the desktops icons in the start panel or the quicklaunch bar, and you're good.

To have a clean desktop means to me to have only the icons you use very often.

desktop01s.jpg

Resized from 1280x1024.

InorganicMatter said:
Hey, that's not very clean. What's with all the stuff on the right-hand side?

gkrellm.

look at your desktop, whats up with the Icon? not very clean. you can take that off ya know?

DR_K13 said:
gkrellm.

look at your desktop, whats up with the Icon? not very clean. you can take that off ya know?
True. I'll put up some guidelines in the OP, so as to clarify.

InorganicMatter said:
Hey, that's not very clean.
Four icons: If not clean, then what?

InorganicMatter said:
What's with all the stuff on the right-hand side?
You mean that thing called the system tray?

iTunes, Steam, eMule, Limewire, Stylexp, download manager, firewall, sound, msn messenger, apache, ftp-server, dns-server, quicktime. Unless I want to have none of the above, it stays. This is a clean-desktop contest, not an empty systray contest.

Yes, it really is a Mac. And Yes. i made the background myself
(Adobe Illustrator, will be redesigned with just the "AXiS" Logo in the bottom right corner and the boxes in just a minute)
(click for full size)

woot for 2.1 gigs free!

Got bored and found a cool one through google and added a favorite quote:

Why do i think the extra icons qualify?
I program (OOP in BF2) Which explains 9 of the icons. Two favorite games and firefox remain.

desktop after about 4.5 years of running. 2 19" flats and a 21"crt in the middle all at 1280x1024x72

screen.jpg

I'd post mine, not at my PC at the moment. I try to avoid window blinds and all the themes, anything to speed up Windows and keep it's feet out of my memory.

No icons on my desktop, even if I don't hide them, the recycle bin is off screen. I navigate completely through my start bar.

ford-shelby-cobra-gt500-283.jpg

Looks like that, though.

MadJuggla9 said:
desktop after about 4.5 years of running. 2 19" flats and a 21"crt in the middle all at 1280x1024x72

screen.jpg

Do you know where you found the middle image (of what seems to be a plane)? It looks so awesome.

how about me? Do I qualify?
desktop only
With a bunch of other stuff showing
edit: in the quicklaunch as you can see I pulled the IE off of the start menu, as well as off the desktop. Outlook the same. The two HDDs are my raid array and external drive, the optical is my optical. It all gets used *very* often.
System tray is used often as well, most of it anyway
...its damn clean IMO.
I really need to ghost the boot drive so I can do the customization routine once and make formats that much easier...whats a 36GB raptor cost these days, anyway...?

backgrounds.JPG

On my 14" T40 SXGA+ :D

(reduced to 1024 from 1400 for low res screens)

I do most everything from the quicklauch bar, but I do like my documents and computer on the desktop... and yes, i do use the recycle bin.

my "to do" list is updated in fireworks every other night or so, keeps me on track.

im kind of different in how i use my desktop.. i keep all my stuff sorted in the quick launch bar... i literaly dont use the start menu.. if you saw it you'd say its a mess.. all my programs and games i use are as shown
resized from 1280x1024... if its not clean.. so be it... i went for efficiency on my windows installs.. some of those 'clean desktops' look far less efficient then others
24443a29028d4a.jpg

same deal for windows install on laptop... resized from 1680x1050
24443a6fa59a54.jpg

posted my linux setup earlier
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1029285701&postcount=4

Here are my shop - reduced from 1600x1200.

Last edited:
Back