The Official DOOM 3 [H]ardware Guide thread.

Daniel-SLCentral said:
I am very glad that my P4 3GHz system with a 9800 Pro 128MB with only 512MB will hold up at 1024x768 with high quality. I was really concerned with my low amount of RAM, I think I´ll try to trade something for another 512MB just in case though, the more RAM the better! Thanks so much for this guide, Kyle! Also, did you defrag the hard drives before intsalling Doom 3 on each system? I remember in a recent interview, some iD staffers said doing this helps performance, and I cant remember reading anything about that in the guide.
Yes, fresh installs of WinXP with SP1 and DX9B were defragged and used. Actually I have to go back to id and pick up my hard drives. We volunteered to leave the 8 drives there for their security. The last thing I would want to be associated with is a D3 leak....

Why does the AMD XP 3200 system only have 512mb ram when the P4 2.4 uses 1 Gig?

Other than that, great article. Man, i should have waited for this article, didn't need a 6800 GT :)

Great article.

I was wondering if there would be any benefit to running it on a dually system?

T-3

Is there any word on whether or not id will release a Special Edition as a DVD like UT2K4?

CrimandEvil said:
Is there any word on whether or not id will release a Special Edition as a DVD like UT2K4?

I remember reading an interview yesterday or two days ago saying there would not be a special edition DVD because iD and Activision could not compromise as to what to include in the package (t-shirt, etc)

Wow that's a lot of numbers. This game turned out to be so much easier on hardware than I was expecting...I love Carmack's engines.

Anyone happen to know whether my hercules game theater xp 6.1 will do the 5.1 in d3 ok?

mjz_5 said:
Why does the AMD XP 3200 system only have 512mb ram when the P4 2.4 uses 1 Gig?

Other than that, great article. Man, i should have waited for this article, didn't need a 6800 GT :)
Because that is the setup that we thought to be logical. We did not have unlimited time to do all of this work so decisions had to be made on what was done and what was not.

This was what I was waiting for, to see what the best bang for the buck was.
Geforce 6800NU ordered.

-driller

T-3 said:
Great article.

I was wondering if there would be any benefit to running it on a dually system?

T-3
No SMP support.

Brent_Justice said:
The bump-mapping, and normal map usage combined with the shadows and specular really bring you into the atmosphere with this game. It is amazing to see how they scaled the settings between Low, Medium and High, I've never seen another game do it the way they are doing it, and still leave all those effects on, even at Low Quality! It is pretty awesome IMO.

If I may say so, you two (you & Kyle) did a damn fine job laying this article out in a comprehensive, easy to understand manner that lets everyone interested in DOOM 3 know where their system stands and what to expect.

^eMpTy^ said:
Wow that's a lot of numbers. This game turned out to be so much easier on hardware than I was expecting...I love Carmack's engines.

Anyone happen to know whether my hercules game theater xp 6.1 will do the 5.1 in d3 ok?

it should do. however isn't THX supported in this game? (ahh creative sound blaster audigy 2 7.1 ZS)

CrimandEvil said:
I was told NO on a DVD.

you will find most games won't use SMP for timing purposes. The devs need more control over how things are run in the game, and SMP doesnt really alow for that.

driller said:
This was what I was waiting for, to see what the best bang for the buck was.
Geforce 6800NU ordered.

-driller
Yeah, I got a feeling the NU is about to get really popular with the DIY crowd.

tornadotsunamilife said:
it should do. however isn't THX supported in this game? (ahh creative sound blaster audigy 2 7.1 ZS)

THX isn't a software supported feature, it's a rating of the speakers (i.e. the company who makes the speakers makes them to comply with THX standards).

Xrave said:
THX isn't a software supported feature, it's a rating of the speakers (i.e. the company who makes the speakers makes them to comply with THX standards).

bah. ah well my Logitech Z-5300 will manage then ;)

Great Job. Thanks Kyle and Brent plus the folks at ID for allowing this to happen.

It would be nice to have the ads turned off on the screen shots. The bright ads are annoying when your looking trying to focus on detail

Our system was composed of a 1.5GHz Pentium 4, 512MB of Corsair RAM, and a GeForce 4 MX 440 video card.

I was curious what speed RAM you used in the low-end system.

tornadotsunamilife said:
bah. ah well my Logitech Z-5300 will manage then ;)

Hehe...my Z680's are already trembling from the fear of running this game with 75% volume ;)

Great job kyle

i now know my machine will be doing 1280x1024 with almost everything on just fine...if not a few tweaks here and there be good =]
i can't wait
I NEED DOOM3 I NEED I NEED NEED NEED WEEEE I WANT!!!! (can't tell i am hyper?)

requiem99 said:
Thats what you guys have been saying, and as hard as it is to believe, I do. Carmack is a fucking genius. I knew he could pull it off. What I'll probably do is run at medium quality and force 8xAF in the NVCP. I can live without AA for a game like this, but I gotta have my sharp textures. :D

You can try High Quality, which does enable 8XAF, see how it performs for ya. If not then drop to Medium.

Thank you very much. This article is really well put together and incredibly informative. I found almost my exact system, as well as my brothers' in your guide. You guys are awesome. Even though you spent tons of time playing Doom 3, I'm sure that was a lot of work. I really appreciate it, and from what other people have posted already, you can see that the rest of the gaming community does too. Thanks again! This article is truly [H]ard :)

Impact9 said:
Great Job. Thanks Kyle and the folks at ID for allowing this to happen.

It would be nice to have the ads turned off on the screen shots. The bright ads are annoying when your looking trying to focus on detail
I will arrange a full refund for you immediately.

I just spent the last 2 weeks on these forums trying to decide what system would be the best for Doom 3. Lo and behold the ultimate [H]ard Doom 3 system is what I ended up getting!! Its truly awesome to have a community where everyone from the developer to the forum users are so dedicated and cool about gaming. Someone here even offered to go to the local Fry;s across the country from me and mail me some hardware.

Kyle, HardOCP in general, id software, and everyone on the forums- You all rule.

Ultra setting, here I come.

Steve said:
If I may say so, you two (you & Kyle) did a damn fine job laying this article out in a comprehensive, easy to understand manner that lets everyone interested in DOOM 3 know where their system stands and what to expect.

Thanks Steve!!!

Xrave said:
I was curious what speed RAM you used in the low-end system.
There was a gig of PC2700 in the box when we got there, but we pulled that and put our own sticks in. I never did check actually but I assumed it to be DDR333. That should be spec for that setup....

Cheers [H], another fantastic article.

I live in Cheltenham UK, and have often considered moving country to be closer to the [H] HQ. Then I realised that I might have been overdoing it a little bit.... Only a little tho :D

In fact f*ck it, see you next week :D

gpitpitan said:
I had the honor of being at activision yesterday....activision is the publisher for id. So, while touring their offices (im now a QA and CS guy there) the boss let us take a look at a full playable game of Doom3....

i expected it to be on some sort of alienware type system...BUT it was on a dell with a 3.0c and 9800 pro. The girl playing was running at 640x480 but WOW...the game looked stunning even at those resolutions, i shiver to think of what could become of it on my system around 1280x1024.

Oh yeah...doom 3 expansion coming soon (i think ill be testing it too lol)

Pretty sweet huh, I never would have thought 640x480 would be a useable resolution in todays games. DOOM 3 has proven me wrong.

colin said:
Thank you very much. This article is really well put together and incredibly informative. I found almost my exact system, as well as my brothers' in your guide. You guys are awesome. Even though you spent tons of time playing Doom 3, I'm sure that was a lot of work. I really appreciate it, and from what other people have posted already, you can see that the rest of the gaming community does too. Thanks again! This article is truly [H]ard :)

[H]ard Work, but Fun Work for sure ;)

hi.

can someone be kind enough to post some links on how to OC a P4 3.0 Ghz cpu and 6800 GT?

sorry if this is off topic.

EDIT: Just wanted to say very THOROUGH guide. :)

aphexddb said:
I just spent the last 2 weeks on these forums trying to decide what system would be the best for Doom 3. Lo and behold the ultimate [H]ard Doom 3 system is what I ended up getting!! Its truly awesome to have a community where everyone from the developer to the forum users are so dedicated and cool about gaming. Someone here even offered to go to the local Fry;s across the country from me and mail me some hardware.

Kyle, HardOCP in general, id software, and everyone on the forums- You all rule.

Ultra setting, here I come.

maybe in the future. you may also want to go for the winchester core (or is it san diego? i forget), if you are willing to buy a new vid card in the near future

ThisMonsterLives said:
What did you guys think of the Blade II-like disappearing corpses? Is a DirectX 9 card needed for that?

I Thought that was TOTALLY KICK ASS!!!!!!! The first time we both saw it we were like "WOW".

A DX9 card is not required for that, I noticed it on the lower end cards.

Back