The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

Lots of people, myself included, are having issues getting the validation email. Last two hours, 6 tries, no email. Not a happy camper to say the least LOL. I really don't want to have to change the email already associated with the game.

Lots of people, myself included, are having issues getting the validation email. Last two hours, 6 tries, no email. Not a happy camper to say the least LOL. I really don't want to have to change the email already associated with the game.

You shouldn't need it. I get the same thing, need to validate email but I can still go right past that screen and play.

Honestly not impressed with the PVP in this game, coming from DOTA 2, it's a spam fest/button masher. Now i'm out $60. Fuck.

Have you even played the game? WvW sieges? Pvp arena? It's a whole lot of strategy in all situations. Eg. As theif I could jump into a group of 10 people and start trying to DOT everyone but I would die in seconds, however I could wait for someone to lose a good chunk of HP, step in unload and then back out and hopefully kill them and weaken attacking force. I can mash buttons all I want, I will get killed fast and look like an idiot that doesn't know how to play his character.

Back on topic:

WvW there is gear you only get via fighting, you can level up doing WvW and never touch PvE. There are one time events with devs playing characters. Seems to be quite a bit to do, also it was capped at level 20 PvE quest so they might be much much more intense, I did love the big big boss fights, quite fun and they happen from the start almost.

Anyone completely unable to get into the stress test today?

I know they said there would connectivity issues, and I've been in every single beta, but continued to get the following error:

"The game client is unable to gain access to the log-in server at this time. This is most commonly caused by a firewall or router settings, security applications, or connecting through a campus network. For additional support, please visit http://support.guildwars2.com."

...over and over again, and was completely unable to get in-game. It's not on my end, it has to be their issue, but has anyone else been completely unable to actually get in-game due to receiving the same error over and over?

my first impressions/random thoughts of 6 hours of play:

camera is wonky initially...gotta get used to it

elementalist is a bitch to play in spvp...juicy learning curve there
engineer and thief are fun in spvp

asura race just rocks..plain and simple

6 hours flew by...unreal how that time past so fast...lol

this is NOT the second coming of christ for mmo's...let it go people

game ran just fine on my 4 year old system on high graphics

good thing theres no sub fee cuz i wouldn't pay for it

bottom line...a very fun, light-hearted, can't take seriously, mmo...i laughed alot..and yes, it was fun..thats all we can ask for

Are you waiting for someone to justify your purchase for you? If you feel there isn't much content, then don't purchase it (though it seems you've already made your mind up). Should have tried out a stress test or beta weekend event if you were on the fence. Don't understand the mentality of being so defensive when you're the one who asked the question, we were just trying to help you out.

For those of us who have bought the game, we obviously feel there is enough content to keep us busy for our money. I guess that's the best answer I can give you.

I never asked any question im just sick of silly fanboys acting like every fucking MMO is the second coming and saying absolutely stupid shit that flies in the face of reason.

An MMO thats lacking in content like this one being called "biggest value in gaming since the orange box regarding content" That kind of comment is stupid. Such a statement makes no sense when there are free games that offer 10x the content of this one. Its just silly fans trying to hype up a game way beyond what it is.

And sorry Scooty WvW is just a battleground on a larger scale, not sure how you work it out in your head to be something else but its Arathi Basin on steroids. Theres nothing special there besides its size. This is also not the first (or only as you put it) game to focus on the journey not the destination either.

Just reading this thread is sickening. All these unique things people go on and on about where done before in one way or another. Granted most are done BETTER by arenanet but thats all it really is, taking old shit and tweaking it and calling it new. Honestly Anet is starting to look like the Apple of gaming. Thats not all bad, taking good ideas and making them better in one MMO should make for a good time but theres nothing new going on here with the exception of WvW.

I dont even have the time for raiding but there is no reason whatsoever for them to not include it. If its not a gear treadmill why not make a couple raids for those that enjoy them? The reasoning just dont make sense. You can make a game without a gear treadmill and add a raid or two. They made dungeons to go through why the hell not make a raid?

I never asked any question im just sick of silly fanboys acting like every fucking MMO is the second coming and saying absolutely stupid shit that flies in the face of reason.

Then play the game and screw what anyone else thinks? It's not hard to do. Why get hung up over something you have control over?

An MMO thats lacking in content like this one being called "biggest value in gaming since the orange box regarding content" That kind of comment is stupid. Such a statement makes no sense when there are free games that offer 10x the content of this one. Its just silly fans trying to hype up a game way beyond what it is.

You are not providing any basis for your statement. You say it is lacking content. How so? By whose standards? His view of content is different than yours. Oh well? Stop trying to pick a fight, it's borderline trolling at this point.

Just reading this thread is sickening.

Then stop clicking on the thread and putting yourself through the hassle? Jesus. It sounds like people are holding your feet to the fire saying, "YOU READ THIS CRAP OR THE PUPPY GETS IT." :rolleyes:

And sorry Scooty WvW is just a battleground on a larger scale, not sure how you work it out in your head to be something else but its Arathi Basin on steroids. Theres nothing special there besides its size.

The size is what is special. People WANT to be involved in huge battles, most games fail at this. Just recently Aion, AoC, and WAR have all face-planted trying to do large scale PVP. WOW fails at this as well, for various reasons (some of which are performance related).

Just reading this thread is sickening. All these unique things people go on and on about where done before in one way or another. Granted most are done BETTER by arenanet but thats all it really is, taking old shit and tweaking it and calling it new. Honestly Anet is starting to look like the Apple of gaming. Thats not all bad, taking good ideas and making them better in one MMO should make for a good time but theres nothing new going on here with the exception of WvW.

Sounds like you are talking about RIFT more than GW2 (aside from thw WvW comment). If all of this has been done before, where are the major MMOs with no holy trinity? Where are the MMOs with dynamic events that stretch across whole maps? In which MMOs can people play with friends on any server at any time? How about the MMOs where all primary abilities are on the weapons and not the character? Which MMOs have class combos that function? This really just sounds like trolling.

I dont even have the time for raiding but there is no reason whatsoever for them to not include it. If its not a gear treadmill why not make a couple raids for those that enjoy them? The reasoning just dont make sense. You can make a game without a gear treadmill and add a raid or two. They made dungeons to go through why the hell not make a raid?

What is your plan for a raid boss in a game in which there are no healers or tanks? Seriously, think about what a raid boss is and how the fights go down.

"they all make you pay" lolno, been hiding under a rock for the last 5 years? There are really only a handful of sub games left.

We live in an era of F2P MMOs, hell EQ alone kicks the everloving shit out of GW2 when it comes to value for content. Had GW2 come out 3 or 4 years ago that argument would make sense but saying that now just shows how out of touch you are.

Nah, the bulk of any good games make you either pay a sub for access to any of the good areas + microtransactions, or just require a subscription outright. I do agree with you that GW2 isn't anything special in this space, and is overhyped.

Disposed does not like people being excited for a game. :D Sorry bud. You need to find something to be excited about and not piss on another's parade.

On another note, check out how well GW2's Human dance syncs up with the Party Rock Anthem by LMFAO.

To be fair, Rift does have dynamic events across maps - not just rifts though those are group events that happen all the time as well. I read a lot of comments about things that are supposedly new in GW2 that rift has done. Rift also has more abilities and much more refined interfaces and customizations. That doesn't necessarily make it more fun - that's a personal opinion depending what you like. As has been stated before, you can't really compare a pay-per-month model game to GW2, at least not farily. If GW2 ends up being a much more intricate and strategic (due to so many abilities) MMO-infused TF2-ish battle arena for the most part (for me) in the end, that would be just fine for the $55 I spent on it one time. . The rest is just extra fun stuff to do and content to level a few different classes in. Some people like being able to just jump into a game and play without having to schedule raids and do a gear treadmill progression of sets and instances over and over in order to remain on the cusp of the gear treadmill curve all while paying $10 - $15 a month. If you like that you still only paid $50 - $60 for GW2 and can still play your other, arguably more refined, yet much more of a "job" MMO without paying for two subs. I do miss the heavier ability load-outs and what I consider more refined interfaces a little, but its not supposed to be the same mmo game as something like Rift. ANet have been tweaking the GW2 after getting feedback on the interface side somewhat though which is good. So again, you can play both types of game and only be paying one sub so GW2 is well worth it imo. It also could potentially make some people drop the other "more complex" mmo workload and cost in the long run I'd think.

And sorry Scooty WvW is just a battleground on a larger scale, not sure how you work it out in your head to be something else but its Arathi Basin on steroids. Theres nothing special there besides its size. This is also not the first (or only as you put it) game to focus on the journey not the destination either.

If you ever played DAoC you would realize just how wrong your comments are. WvW is not just "Arathi Basin" on steroids. WvW with 3 realms adds so much more to PvP than anything, and I mean anything, WoW has ever done. WoW's PvP is for spastic MMO Call of Duty players, if you want to talk about button mashing just play any of WoW's battlegrounds. WvWvW is more strategy than anything WoW ever did.

We all know this and no one is saying anything different so I'm not sure why your panties are in a bunch.

Ya there is, because raiding isn't their focus. Go hop on a EQ server or play WoW if you want raids. This game is designed for dynamic content and WvWvW and battlegrounds ala GW1. You might as well start arguing that Portal 2 sucks because it doesn't include prestige levels ;)

I got in for the stress test today and i'm still not very thrilled with the framerate.

You're asking a company who has spent 5 years designing a shit-free sandwich to plop a big old turd on top. There are plenty of shit sandwiches in the industry to choose from; if you want one so badly, go eat one of them.

You're asking a company who has spent 5 years designing a shit-free sandwich to plop a big old turd on top. There are plenty of shit sandwiches in the industry to choose from; if you want one so badly, go eat one of them.

Clearly, just having raids in the game automatically makes it terrible. I don't really know why anyone would be mad about having more content in the game as long as it was quality stuff. That way pvp people can do that all day if they want, and the pve people have more things to choose from.

Clearly, just having raids in the game automatically makes it terrible. I don't really know why anyone would be mad about having more content in the game as long as it was quality stuff. That way pvp people can do that all day if they want, and the pve people have more things to choose from.

I played EQ for 7,500 hours, so I know what raids are. Raids are repetition. ArenaNet has gone through an extraordinary effort to design an MMO without repetition.

They have been designing thousands of chaining and branching dynamic events, so I don't even know what you guys are talking about when you complain about lack of content or stuff to do. What you're asking for would be as crass as asking for a McDonald's cheeseburger in a four-star restaurant.

I played EQ for 7,500 hours, so I know what raids are. Raids are repetition. ArenaNet has gone through an extraordinary effort to design an MMO without repetition.

They have been designing thousands of chaining and branching dynamic events, so I don't even know what you guys are talking about when you complain about lack of content or stuff to do. What you're asking for would be as crass as asking for a McDonald's cheeseburger in a four-star restaurant.
While funny, I don't think that analogy really works here. If Guild Wars 2 is a fine steak house something like WOW is certainly not a McDonalds in comparison because it has raiding.

Anyway, I agree with you about guild wars not needing raiding. If raiding is your bag there are plenty of other options out there on the market. This games claim to fame would be it's dynamic events and focus on balanced PvP. Adding raiding as an after thought because every other MMO has it would not fit with what they are trying to accomplish with this game.

I think my biggest gripe with this game besides the lack of advanced build making that GW1 was focused around is that the dynamic content is extremely static in fact majority of it you could set a watch too. Anet is just doing like every other major mmorpg release hype the shit out of it then watch it die quickly. It works quite well for them though as they have no subscription meaning when a player buys then quits it is better for them. They can steadily reduce server hosting costs as the number of players dwindles.

I will say it now while I have said many bad things about gw2 I do have it prepurchased but I my prediction is only retaining 35% player base by the end of year one.( My Prediction to quote in a year)

I think my biggest gripe with this game besides the lack of advanced build making that GW1 was focused around is that the dynamic content is extremely static in fact majority of it you could set a watch too. Anet is just doing like every other major mmorpg release hype the shit out of it then watch it die quickly. It works quite well for them though as they have no subscription meaning when a player buys then quits it is better for them. They can steadily reduce server hosting costs as the number of players dwindles.

I will say it now while I have said many bad things about gw2 I do have it prepurchased but I my prediction is only retaining 35% player base by the end of year one.( My Prediction to quote in a year)

If it only retains 35% that's fine with me. I played Daoc with a lot less subscribers for years and rvr was still fun. Daoc had a LOT less content, too.

Supposedly only the lower level events are that often/predictable.

Surprised to see AMD on top of the charts by those margins. Don't see that too often

I'm not....nvidia is all hype..its always been that way

2 takeaways:

the workhorse amd 4870 (my card) still holds its own after 4 years and beats the comparable nvidia cards

nvidia sucks..i'll never own an nvidia card again

thanks for the link

back on topic:...i had alot of fun yesterday and can't wait to play again....i kinda forgot what having fun was again in an mmo...someone mentioned mmo's became a job...excellent statement..i want fun again..yes, the first time we logged into vanilla wow..that feeling...it came back for me yesterday too...i know others have talked about it

Raids are about gaming with friends and defeating tough encounters, not repetition. Regardless, war hammer online and rift have both done dynamic events, and better imo. Rift especially with their zone events and upcoming storm legion expansion which will have even more to it. TSW has more engaging, more fun, and better pve in questing with story and in depth dungeons plus equally fun pvp in the format of daoc style rvr, not to mention a far more open and dynamic spec deck system. GW2 is way overhyped, too much so for its own good.

I have missed all the stress tests since the last beta weekend.

Have they tweaked the FOV/Camera since? The change to the camera for BW2 to allow you to zoom further out along with playing an azura did wonders for my enjoyment of the game but it wasn't perfect.

Raids are about gaming with friends and defeating tough encounters, not repetition. Regardless, war hammer online and rift have both done dynamic events, and better imo. Rift especially with their zone events and upcoming storm legion expansion which will have even more to it. TSW has more engaging, more fun, and better pve in questing with story and in depth dungeons plus equally fun pvp in the format of daoc style rvr, not to mention a far more open and dynamic spec deck system. GW2 is way overhyped, too much so for its own good.

I understand that you are upset that your game is failing, but please, enough with the "overhyped" talk. You aren't going to convince anyone to go from GW2 to TSW at this point.

TSW has more engaging, more fun, and better pve in questing with story
I will admit that my standards are inconveniently high, but I played TSW for about 3-4 hours and I found it anything but engaging. The combat sucked, the story line did nothing for me in terms of me wondering where it will go from here. Different strokes for different folks. Luckily I used the 3-day trial rather than forking out $50 for it, though I see that it has already been discounted down to $25 on Amazon.

Also keep in mind the next nvidia driver is said to be optimized for GW2, so hopefully it'll help nvidia users a ton.

I understand that you are upset that your game is failing, but please, enough with the "overhyped" talk. You aren't going to convince anyone to go from GW2 to TSW at this point.

May have convinced me, but I'm not 100% sold yet. Still looking up reviews, video game play, etc.

I will admit that my standards are inconveniently high, but I played TSW for about 3-4 hours and I found it anything but engaging. The combat sucked, the story line did nothing for me in terms of me wondering where it will go from here.

Same here.

i have now played both...30 days of TSW and 6 hours of GW2

I quit TSW after 30 days...great game for 30 days, then I hit a wall and can't justify the sub fee..the wall was having to do intances on nightmare mode...basically, i felt i 'beat the game' in 30 days and had no desire to continue with a sub fee..having said that, the game was fun for 30 days...the atmosphere was great..everything else was meh or just average..pvp became an absolute borefest..GW2 pvp was 'like' wow pvp..which I prefer

ymmw

GW2 feels like a very light-hearted, romp around, laugh alot, don't take me too seriously mmo..bascially, pure fun and enjoyment...NOT A JOB mmo...i won't use the word 'casual' because that has too many 'bad' qualifiers

good luck...both games are enjoyable...I also enjoyed swtor for 30 days too...just sayin

yeah, i might just do this cause after reading more reviews, people don't enjoy the combat and movement... and that's what i look for most.

I was one of the people that saw the videos and was so against it, but upon trying it, I really liked it. I used to judge games based upon how they "looked and felt", little different nowadays though. After I try something, 99% of the time, I like it.

I raided for what would probably amount to like 5-6 years in WoW, and I was in some fairly high end guilds during all that. I suppose you could say that I also "know what raiding is." I simply don't have time for that kind of commitment anymore, so honestly the lack of raids in GW2 isn't going to really do much of anything to my personal enjoyment of the game. However, I still don't understand your argument that GW2 would be worse if it offered true end game raids. The rest of the game is about as high quality as you can ask for in an MMO, and I have no doubt that ANet would put just as much effort into a raid if they wanted to add one. Again, how could the game (or any game for that matter) be worse off for offering more quality content? If raiding isn't your thing anymore that's wonderful. GW2 offers you plenty of other stuff with polished PvP, questing, and dungeons. However, I'm sure there's plenty of players out there that would love for raiding to at least be an option in GW2.

I'm burnt out on the emphasis on end-game raiding to gain marginal better gear than the one you spent countless hours in the past month for.

I work enough during the week during my actual job, that I don't want that level of duress in an MMO anymore.

If that is still your thing though, Blizzard's got you covered with mists of pandaria and a monthly sub.

Otherwise, I'll enjoy myself jumping in anytime, even if I took a few months hiatus, in GW2's world.

Back