The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

I have really enjoyed my time in GW2 so far. My character is a lvl 20 Human Warrior. Like many people in this thread, I have been taking time to complete the maps and to explore every corner. I haven't touched the crafting yet but I have been saving all the mats that I find so maybe I'll dig into that tonight. I didn't know crafting xp was that good.

I caved in and spent 20 bucks in the Trading Store. I can see that being a huge cash cow for Anet. The mini pets and dye packs are like crack for me. Too bad I keep getting really bad colors. Guys don't forget to get your free hat from the store before it goes away.

definitely dude. so hooked its retarded. stayed up till 2 getting 100% caledon forest or whatever... totally worth it though 3 greens and 40 leather... got an entire level with that leather. so awesome hahaha I'm sure he'll be on too... still going mad over my 670 performance issues. ive been browsing newegg 7970s, no joke. hahahha

Check your PM's, got something for you...

I've been playing for 3 days and I'm like level 11 or something, still exploring the shit out of Queensdale and have a few level 1 alts. I am in absolutely NO rush to beat this game, just take my time exploring everything, every viewpoint vista, side quest etc.. and rake up achievements. :)

Pretty much same thing here. I have no idea what my main character will be at this point and I am in absolutely no rush to find out.

So far I created one of each race and the professions I have so far are a lvl 15 Ranger, lvl 7 Engineer, lvl 1 Warrior, lvl 1 Mesmer, and lvl 1 Guardian. The plan is to get each to around lvl 15 and finish the starting area main quest line and if possible 100% map completion of the starting area before I continue any further with the story lines.

Definitely didn't get to play much during the beta weekends and almost avoided them at times to not ruin the excitement from exploring and playing the different classes. Will probably end up buying up to three more character slots just so I can try out the try other classes I haven't picked.

Overall having a blast playing so far. I definitely need some more time to get used to the keyboard/mouse combo because I have been a PC controller guy for quite a long time (flame away if it makes you feel better). Really need to look into getting a better keyboard/mouse because the ones I have now are basic ones I have picked up from Walmart or an old HP PC. Jumping challenges/puzzles are proving to be very difficult because of limited kb/m skills at the moment, but hopefully that will get better.

:D

Ended my 3 day absence from the real world at level 62 with around 50% map completion.

Getting to work this morning was the hardest thing I've done in a while.

Ended my 3 day absence from the real world at level 62 with around 50% map completion.

Getting to work this morning was the hardest thing I've done in a while.

I was thinking we'd be reading about you keeling over due to starvation/exhaustion or something like the WoW/Diablo 3 players. :p

Honestly, I don't know if I can stomach making an alt. I'm pretty OCD about this completion stuff (I dread getting to 99% and missing that ONE point of interest somewhere).

This whole completion business is like a combination of JC2 and AC for me - both are games where I obsessed over map completion. I can't finish the AC games now because I can't leave something on my map untouched.

I have really enjoyed my time in GW2 so far. My character is a lvl 20 Human Warrior. Like many people in this thread, I have been taking time to complete the maps and to explore every corner. I haven't touched the crafting yet but I have been saving all the mats that I find so maybe I'll dig into that tonight. I didn't know crafting xp was that good.

I caved in and spent 20 bucks in the Trading Store. I can see that being a huge cash cow for Anet. The mini pets and dye packs are like crack for me. Too bad I keep getting really bad colors. Guys don't forget to get your free hat from the store before it goes away.

right now make sure you spend ALL of your gold on gem purchases.

the gem to gold trade ratio is insane right now because of the economy.. that adjusts with the economy and as people level and have more access to gold the gem price will increase. as of yesterday you can buy 280 gems for 1g. 800 gems is 10$. That means ever 2.85 gold you get 10$ worth of gems. BALIEDAT

right now make sure you spend ALL of your gold on gem purchases.

the gem to gold trade ratio is insane right now because of the economy.. that adjusts with the economy and as people level and have more access to gold the gem price will increase. as of yesterday you can buy 280 gems for 1g. 800 gems is 10$. That means ever 2.85 gold you get 10$ worth of gems. BALIEDAT

I'm in for $20 worth of gems lolol.

So far I'm enjoying it enough that I don't regret the purchase. It's got lots of little things that annoy me but nothing game breaking. Performance is stellar with everything maxed out (see rig in sig) and even when we were beating on the swap boss with about 20 people my FPS held up pretty well (40's). In normal areas I'm at a solid 60 fps.

If I had gold I'd buy gems, but I've yet to even get 1 gold piece worth of in game cash and I'm selling everything I dont need for crafting, but I'm also only 15 so the coin isn't exactly flowing from npc's and such. I think I've got 20 silver to my name, if that.

It's something to swap to here and there as a break from TSW, and I'm taking my time with both of them, so I should be set for a while, unless Borderlands 2 pulls me away.

Grr... I keep getting password reset requests from ArenaNet. Wonder if someone's trying to get into my account already.

Grr... I keep getting password reset requests from ArenaNet. Wonder if someone's trying to get into my account already.

I got an email about that too...

You can log into the website and check the locations of account logins I believe.

Is anyone who finished their racial starting area moving to another racial starting area and doing all the stuff there? I'm thinking about doing that.

Is anyone who finished their racial starting area moving to another racial starting area and doing all the stuff there? I'm thinking about doing that.

my friend did that since he was 19 and i was like 10. and he was freaking out over the exp he was getting even though they were lvl 1-5 quests. every zone in the game is viable. so awesome.

I gave it another chance yesterday. Created an Asuri, or whatever it is, Elementalist and am enjoying the game much more now. It must be the starting environments that were tainting my view of GW2 since the first characters I created had areas that looked like they were ripped straight out of WoW,Rift,EQ2,etc. (Human and Norn).

I gave it another chance yesterday. Created an Asuri, or whatever it is, Elementalist and am enjoying the game much more now. It must be the starting environments that were tainting my view of GW2 since the first characters I created had areas that looked like they were ripped straight out of WoW,Rift,EQ2,etc. (Human and Norn).

i havent seen the human but i see what you mean on the norn part AHEM wrath of the lich king hahahhaha

asura starting are is commonly praised by most people i think. ive really enjoyed the sylvari forest are though and it was fun getting the 100% complete

btw have you guys done water combat?! ITS AMAzING.

You can venture into the other zones at will, it's not really detrimental for leveling. Right now I'm full clearing every zone even though I'm a few levels ahead of the ones I'm in.

It depends I guess on your class. One thing I noticed during the BWE's was that the underwater weapons were poorly balanced.

Yes it is! I love the water drops on the screen when you exit the water. I looted a pretty pimp underwater weapon off a mob the other day, only underwater item I have found.

i havent seen the human but i see what you mean on the norn part AHEM wrath of the lich king hahahhaha

asura starting are is commonly praised by most people i think. ive really enjoyed the sylvari forest are though and it was fun getting the 100% complete

I'm realling liking the Foresty areas for Asura, I like that there's multiple levels in the starting area, like one giant tree house.

my biggest beef though... balancing ranged. shits retarded hahahha. like if you wanna be a melee thief shits way harder for you in pvp.

I got my hard copy in the mail yesterday, but I can't figure out where to put in my game key. I've checked in-game as well as on my account on the website, but I just don't see anywhere to put it. I know I technically have like 5 days or whatever past release, but I'd like to just get it out of the way and get the box off my desk. Anyone know how to do this, or is the game just going to pop up with a box 5 days from now?

I got my hard copy in the mail yesterday, but I can't figure out where to put in my game key. I've checked in-game as well as on my account on the website, but I just don't see anywhere to put it. I know I technically have like 5 days or whatever past release, but I'd like to just get it out of the way and get the box off my desk. Anyone know how to do this, or is the game just going to pop up with a box 5 days from now?

register.guildwars2.com

Looks like ArenaNet is responding to reported abuse. Nice to see them banning the A-holes.

http://kotaku.com/5938485/reasons-y...ild-wars-2-holocaust-jokes-racist-insults-etc

Guild Wars 2 has only just officially launched today, but ever since the head start began on Saturday, ArenaNet has been busily suspending users whose names or behavior violate policy. Many users who have been suspended have taken exception to their punishment. So ArenaNet has taken to Reddit, to answer users' innocent and not-so-innocent questions.

Does this game feature a lot of voice over work, like SWTOR?

Yes, there is a lot of voiced content. The npc's are voiced, as well as the story characters, including your character.

Those of you playing warriors, what weapon setups are you using? I'm 26 and I haven't really figured out what weapon combo I like the best. I do like the off-hand axe skills though, the longer whirlwind is pretty nice. The only setup I've really grown fond of is greatsword to sword/axe. With four button presses I can inflict numerous attacks and leave my target bleeding pretty badly.

Those of you playing warriors, what weapon setups are you using? I'm 26 and I haven't really figured out what weapon combo I like the best. I do like the off-hand axe skills though, the longer whirlwind is pretty nice. The only setup I've really grown fond of is greatsword to sword/axe. With four button presses I can inflict numerous attacks and leave my target bleeding pretty badly.

Axe/Axe or Greatsword as primary.
Rifle/Bow for ranged.

I've learned to ALWAYS utilize one set as a ranged set.

I've been swapping more and testing out things, at lv 17 I'm really digging a sword in main hand and axe in off hand. The whirlwind attack makes it so awesome.

Greatswords are fun but I started to get tired of it, plus that charge thing hardly ever worked and usualy sends you behind the person and disorients the hell out of me.

Hammers seem a bit slow, but the knockdown is nice.

I still prefer Longbows for range over rifles. However I am not getting SHIT for longbow drops, I haven't had a single longbow drop for over 10 levels now and I outgrew my main one so I'm stuck with a rifle atm.

They REALLY REALLY need to fix the trading post, not being able to sell items or buy what you want is my main annoyance now. I have like 7 green items taking up space that I'd like to throw on there and I'd like to buy a new shiny longbow.

They REALLY REALLY need to fix the trading post, not being able to sell items or buy what you want is my main annoyance now. I have like 7 green items taking up space that I'd like to throw on there and I'd like to buy a new shiny longbow.

Agreed on the trading post. We need it, soon.

To alleviate your green item issue: Throw them in the mystic forge. Play lottery. I got a lvl 36 rare last night and a lvl 50(!) shield from a couple blues and greens.

I've leveled both a Charr guardian and a Human elementalist to level 10, and am still really enjoying both.

I think overall the elementalist is more fun to play, and I really like how much versatility the weapon swapping provides. I especially love how I can use the 2-H staff to deal some pretty hefty ranged damage, and immediately swapping over to do AOE heals.

The guardian certainly isn't as entertaining, but I like the survivability, and the ability to jump in a protect/buff others, especially in WvW.

Definitely agree about the Trading Post. It will be really nice once that's up and running.

I've been swapping more and testing out things, at lv 17 I'm really digging a sword in main hand and axe in off hand. The whirlwind attack makes it so awesome.

Greatswords are fun but I started to get tired of it, plus that charge thing hardly ever worked and usualy sends you behind the person and disorients the hell out of me.

Hammers seem a bit slow, but the knockdown is nice.

I still prefer Longbows for range over rifles. However I am not getting SHIT for longbow drops, I haven't had a single longbow drop for over 10 levels now and I outgrew my main one so I'm stuck with a rifle atm.

I'm in pretty much the same place. I've been using mostly a Greatsword because I've been getting good drops and the skills are a nice mix. I also always use a ranged weapon as my offset. I've been using rifles for awhile with great effect, but maybe I should try bows again. I would like to try a different melee set. I like the offhand axe abilities too, but finding two good axes is obviously twice as hard. The Trading Post needs to be up ASAP, especially since they put all their eggs in one basket (there's no trading interface), although that's the only mishap this whole launch (good for an MMO imo). Trading by mail and spamming chat is a PITA.

should i buy this game? somebody tell me i should. and i will.

Buy it. Do it now. It's incredible. I think you can even get it for under $50 bucks if you get it from Gamefly with the coupon (should still work).

Do you enjoy a casual playing experience?
Do you enjoy playing with others?
Do you enjoy exploring large beautiful worlds?
Do you deplore costly subscription fees?
Do you enjoy massive scale player vs player combat?

If any of these questions were answered "Yes," then you should buy this game.

Game is pretty fun. Been playing since Sunday night.

I have one engineer and found out how to use the harpoon gun last night, under water fighting is pretty damn fun.

Also found a rifle finally and have new sets of abilities... dual pistols... or Pistol/Shield... or Rifle... or talent for grenades and bombs away!!!

Enjoying it very much so far... nice and casual for me. :D

Yeah I'm going to have to check out the mystic forge myself. I've accumulated quite a few green items that I've just had stashed. I tell ya, the economy is going to be fucked for a while when the trading post finally gets brought online. Everyone putting stockpiled stuff up all at once= prices will be through the floor. Might be a buying opportunity if you have the bank space and extra money (buy up a bunch of crap and hold on to it for prices to go back up.)

I think you should, I haven't played a MMO in a long time, this one is pretty fun imo, it kind of reminds me of some of the older MMO games like Earth and Beyond, also for right now it seems to have a more mature audience....

I think sword/axe or axe/axe is my favorite combo so far. Greatsword is fun but the two hand Hammers are more useful IMO. The maces are so abysmally slow it's painful to use them although they aren't too bad as offhands.

I just wish you could discover more skills. I found it fun trying out different weapon combos to unlock the various talents. I would much rather have all skills develop this way.

Back