The Official HP w2207/w2007 Thread

I too am coming from the Dell UltraSharp 17" and I think the W2207 is absolutely amazing! That said, I felt I'd been stabbed in the back when I found it doesn't support 1:1. It can only put black bars on the sides and NOT on the top and bottom!! The first pic below shows an xbox 360 stretched to 16:10. In the 2nd, the dvd is being played over the computer where Media Center places black bars on the top and bottom. The 3rd pic shows the 360 in 4:3 ratio with the monitor placing bars on the sides. This could be stretched to fit the screen with "Fill to Apect Ratio" turned off. Thought it was suppose to be "Aspect", guess they didn't spell check! This feature is turned on for all the pics.

hpformats.jpg

I am truly heart broken over this. I spent a lot time comparing 22" monitors at Circuit City and this one had what I cared about most, the deepest black. This is almost certainly due to the glossy screen but it's probably the best a TN panel can produce. So unless Microsoft announces 16:10 support within the next couple days, I'm afraid this beauty is going back. Others who are going through this, I feel your pain. If you don't plan on gaming through a 360, however, I do highly recommend this monitor.

I called MS tech support and the rep said he didn't know any immediate plans to support 16:10 on vga but stated the HDMI through a DVI adapter could. I'd like to find out if this is true or if he was just trying to get me off the phone. Could be a reason to upgrade to the elite.

I just got a HP W2207 and it's very nice! :D

The glossy screen doesn't bother me at all.
Very sharp and clear, but too bright... and the blacks aren't black If i compare to my Dell 2007WFP.

What settings are you using?

HP W2207 via DVI on my Geforce 6800LE

Hey guys,

I have just purchased a W2207 here in the UK and for the most part im very pleased with it.

First one from Comet had a dead pixel in the bottom left hand corner, but I returned it and they replaced it with a new one, which is fine.

However, I wondered if there is any way to turn the backlight down? I am trying to calibrate the image as I am not happy with the black levels. At the moment I have them set to;

Brightness - 42
Contrast - 46

I have searched all the menus etc but I can't see an option for this. My Sony LCD has a seperate option (aside from the contrast & brightness options) to actually turn the backlight down or even off. Does this HP monitor have the same function?
Perhaps there is a hidden service menu or something?

PS, was surprised to see a DVI cable in the box, bonus!

Any replies would be great.

Just got the monitor as part of an HP bundle. I get an error whenever I try and download the drivers either thru the provided disc or off of the HP website. Any suggestions?

Just got the monitor as part of an HP bundle. I get an error whenever I try and download the drivers either thru the provided disc or off of the HP website. Any suggestions?

Out of experience and from posts in this thread I can tell you that the HP drivers are very buggy. Correct me if new drivers came out that work fine.

On my first installation of the drivers it worked perfectly then after 2 days it would not do portrait mode at all. Uninstalled and reinstalled them and the colors just went way off.

Case in point is: Use at your own risk

I

out of the box it hooked up to the computer and looks great. I dont even know if I need to install the drivers.

I just bought this monitor after looking at reviews and user opinions.

I purchased it at Office Depot and you have up to 14 days to return if there is a problem. There is no re-stocking fee.

I'm using it in text mode with the brightness set at 80 and contrast at 65.
I find that I like this setting or the movie setting for games.

The game mode just seems to bright and I don't care for the color settings that are used.

The monitor has zero dead pixels and just provides a great picture.
I have not noticed any back light bleeding issues.

I play my 360 on my w2207 now with the VGA Cable, so if anyone wants pictures of that, then send me some requests and at what resolutions you want to see it at.

I just bought this display and hooked it up to my Playstation 3. The image is however stretched out(ps3 only outputs resolution in 16:9 format) so that it fills the whole screen. Changing between fixed aspection ratio and stretch to fill the screen under menu doesnt affect anything. So obviously the pixel mapping doesnt work in 720p(it does work in other resolutions, but then, only from left to right).

Is there a big quality loss in terms of image sharpness because of this problem? Anyone else who have tried to hook it up to a ps3 and their views on the overal image quality?

here's the way to the hidden Service menu

Power it off
press and old "Menu and -" then power on
the menu highlight become green.
will find "service..." in the menu.

there's another menu.
press and hold "Menu and +" then power on
will find "F" in the menu beside "Exit".!!!

here's the way to the hidden Service menu

Power it off
press and old "Menu and -" then power on
the menu highlight become green.
will find "service..." in the menu.

there's another menu.
press and hold "Menu and +" then power on
will find "F" in the menu beside "Exit".!!!

Thank you. How did you find these out? Also, before i do it, does everything revert back to normal once the monitor is turned off and on again?

:)
after read alot about LCDs i got this idea to try and it was my luck.
and no. nothing revert back the the Factory default as i know!.
this is the Service menu "pic took from another web site"
13c9719e-1f8c-47e8-9147-ac93742f3f63.jpg

for the second menu "F" the menu appear at the upper left corner!

sorry of the bad quality .

First of all, i thank hard forum and everyone here for helping me to decide on w2207.
I just got it 2 days ago, it is brilliant ! however i notice inconsistency with the PANEL that i have. My w2207 is using LG.Philips (LPL) Panel : LM220WE1 (Same as above pic) and NOT Samsung's LM220M1. Thanks to Majed, i visited the chinese web site you provided (yeah, i am Asian) and found that most of China made w2207 is infact using LPL Panel, and the chinese prefer it over the Samsung. No idea why, but i am kinda dissapointed as the reason i got w2207 was because of the 226bw panel lottery, well i guess it is the same with HP... The chinese site also mentioned that most w2207 manufactured in July 07 is infact using other China Made Panel, so it will be worst than LPL or Samsung, so here goes..... The start of Panel Lottery for w2207 ! :confused:

I find my w2207 ok, but do you guys think i should just bring it back since it is not the samsung panel ? Thanks guys !

Note : LG.Philips has also came up with a new Panel in July 07 with 92% Wide Color Gamut (LM220WE3). i wonder if hp will start to use it in w2207 or perhaps a new model will surface ?

i found a stuck pixel, i think. It appear as BLACK when the background is BLUE. but other than that, the same stuck pixel display any other color with no problem. This is consider as a 'stuck' pixel and not 'dead' pixel right ? Is it possible to repair it ? I was using Dead Pixel Buddy to check and now i am using UDPixel trying to repair that pixel by software, am i doing the right thing ? Please help. Or you guys think i should just send it back since it is on LG.Philips Panel and NOT samsung and with 1 'stuck' pixel... ? But i really like this LCD and i am afraid it's really hard to find available stock for it..... and there is really nothing else out there to replace it.....

Thanks !

I have the HP w2207 monitor for two days. I have an HP zd8000 computer going VGA to VGA, and a Comcast Motorola 6200 HDTV receiver (which has a tuner inside it) going DVI to DVI. When attempting to access the digital cable on the DVI input directly, such as when setting DVI as the default input and trying to access it from the shut off position, I get a black screen with a white window, in which it says "no input signal." However, I can access the DVI inputted digital cable by first going to the VGA side, with my computer on. When I then switch to the DVI input via the menu option, I get the white screen for a second, but it then gives me a television picture.

HP has confirmed with me that I should be able to access digital cable via the DVI input directly, and it should work with a digital cable set up box that has a tuner in it. Has anyone else had a similar problem? I am wondering if I have too weak a Comcast signal to be picked up reliably by the monitor, or if the monitor somehow cannot access HDTV directly on the DVI side, or if the monitor I have is defective.

HP has told me to exchange it as the monitor could be defective, but I am having a hard time believing this because this is actually the second monitor I have gotten from a local store. The first one gave me no television image, it always gave me the "no input signal" screen no matter what I did. So I am suspecting its not a defective monitor, despite HP telling me to exchange it.

FYI, I had the Samsung 216bw before this and the digital cable on the DVI side worked flawlessly (but I had some flicker on the VGA side, causing me to return it).

Any thoughts? Anyone getting digital cable via the DVI input successfully? Anyone also getting a "no input signal" on the DVI side? Any suggested solutions GREATLY appreciated.

I just received my HPw2207 from Circuit City. It has a June 2007 build date. Checking the hidden service panel it says Ver ATMD2.3, Module LP2212-712, Panel LM220EW01-V2. And the EW is not a typo.

Wow... Seems like HP has started to use non-Samsung and LG.Philips Panel now.... Hope the display quality is still good and not end up like Samsung's 226BW's 'S', 'A', 'C', Panel. But from the Side by Side comparison photo (HP W2207 Vs Samsung 226CW) posted by Fleat in the 226BW Official Thread, it looks like his Innolux's Panel w2207 does look better than 226CW Samsung's LM220M2 Panel (97% Wide Color Gamut).

Anandtech just posted a review of the w2207

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=3054

They don't think very highly of it, but then again they should be comparing it with mostly other 22s. Regardless, I owned the Samsung 225 and 226 simultaneously and compared the 226 with the w2207 side by side and although the colors on the HP were more vibrant, the Samsung were definitely more accurate.

I had seen a 226bw Samsung S-panel at a friend's house, and liked it reasonably enough. I wanted an LCD just based on operating watts savings alone, 41W for the w2207 vs. 145W for my 22" CRT. Yet, I foolishly decided to purchase a w2207 to avoid the panel lottery. I'll just say I'm slightly disappointed and leave it at that.

However, I'm coming from a DiamondVision Pro 22" CRT, where viewing angles and accurate colors are an afterthought. This is officially my first LCD; while everyone here is probably on their second or third LCD, and perhaps have forgotten just how good CRTs can look.

I believe the viewing angles bother me the most on the w2207, just the fact of how the industry way underreports these things. Tilt my head just a few degrees, and I can see colors change. Or placing my head too close to the monitor does the same around the edges. There shouldn't have to be a sweet spot for a monitor. What do I like about the w2207? The whites are really white, text is super crisp (maybe too crisp) and there is not any bleeding, distortion, or noise typically associated with analog CRTs. Oh, and I LOVE the glossy screen, stand, and appearance of the w2207. I'm just not sure if this is enough reason to keep it. I might just have to buy a 24" S-IPS based panel, with its better color reproduction, viewing angles, and tighter dot pitch, and avoid the TN lottery all together.

LCD monitors have come a long way since their inception, just not far enough for my liking. Reminds me of how CDs were first introduced as having perfect sound forever. Yet, it took almost twenty years to design those digital audio processors to yield that perfect sound.

I had seen a 226bw Samsung S-panel at a friend's house, and liked it reasonably enough. I wanted an LCD just based on operating watts savings alone, 41W for the w2207 vs. 145W for my 22" CRT. Yet, I foolishly decided to purchase a w2207 to avoid the panel lottery. I'll just say I'm slightly disappointed and leave it at that.

However, I'm coming from a DiamondVision Pro 22" CRT, where viewing angles and accurate colors are an afterthought. This is officially my first LCD; while everyone here is probably on their second or third LCD, and perhaps have forgotten just how good CRTs can look.

I believe the viewing angles bother me the most on the w2207, just the fact of how the industry way underreports these things. Tilt my head just a few degrees, and I can see colors change. Or placing my head too close to the monitor does the same around the edges. There shouldn't have to be a sweet spot for a monitor. What do I like about the w2207? The whites are really white, text is super crisp (maybe too crisp) and there is not any bleeding, distortion, or noise typically associated with analog CRTs. Oh, and I LOVE the glossy screen, stand, and appearance of the w2207. I'm just not sure if this is enough reason to keep it. I might just have to buy a 24" S-IPS based panel, with its better color reproduction, viewing angles, and tighter dot pitch, and avoid the TN lottery all together.

LCD monitors have come a long way since their inception, just not far enough for my liking. Reminds me of how CDs were first introduced as having perfect sound forever. Yet, it took almost twenty years to design those digital audio processors to yield that perfect sound.

I understand how you feel. The viewing angle for most TN panels are pretty bad. I don't mind myself since I'm sitting in front of my HP but when people are viewing movies on it and their sitting off to the side... well it doesn't look so good anymore.

But I will say for $300 bucks it's one of the best LCD's you can get without having to give up an arm and a leg. Look at some of the $600+ LCD's and you'll have a screen that's closer to your CRT but with more lag than your HP and a higher price tag.

It's all about compromise right now. LCD technology is getting closer to the CRT but just not quite there yet. Read around the threads and you'll get a different feel and Panel technology give different results and hopefully you can settle down to one you'll like.

The thing is, that the viewing angles of any TN based 22" LCD's are going to be more or less the same.

I own a 2207 and am reasonably happy with it.

The main thing that I don't like is the colour shift you get if you move your head up or down or to the left or to the right. However the Samsung 226B is largely the same.

I chose the HP 2207 over the Samsung 226B simply because the HP was £40 cheaper than the Samsung option, and both screens were, to me at least, virutally indistiguishable.

I'm pretty happy with the 2207, it gets an 8 out of 10 from me.

Sorry to bum everyone out on this otherwise great thread. However, what these technical discussions sometimes lack is a bit of perspective and intellectual honesty. I believe some buyers so desperately want these TN panel monitors to be great (based on affordability, speed, size) they convince themselves, and everyone else, it's true. And then you have the manufacturers who see nothing wrong about embellishing the numbers, or even switching out panels.

Don't get me wrong, if an S-IPS 22" glossy screen monitor existed I would snap it up today. And... yes, the w2207 or 226bw are likely the best 22" LCDs on the market. But does either fundamentally equal even an average 22" CRT? The answer is no.

To be honest though, I'm still trying to figure what panel I am stuck with here. Because mine looks way different than the panel in the store, which was likely a Samsung. That's what is also great about Internet discussions like these. They place these manufactures under a good deal of accountability and scrutiny. I just wish I had seen this information about the secret service panel well before my purchase.

Has anyone else noticed that, while there is a really cool feature to turn off the power-button's L.E.D., that setting is turned on again when you remove power from the monitor?

All the other settings are retained. This is *really* funny.

Agh, well... the L.E.D.'s not too bright and annoying anyway, so this is a minor niggle.

Do we know how this monitor does with the 360 via DVI or VGA? Does it implement the horizontal bars on the top and bottom to prevent distortion? I'm guessing this would be done under "Custom Scaling", then "Scale to Aspect Ratio". Can anyone confirm or deny?

Also, if I chose to connect my 360 via DVI-->HDMI, how would I get the audio from the 360 to some speakers? Is there an HDMI adapter that separates the sound?

Wow... Seems like HP has started to use non-Samsung and LG.Philips Panel now.... Hope the display quality is still good and not end up like Samsung's 226BW's 'S', 'A', 'C', Panel. But from the Side by Side comparison photo (HP W2207 Vs Samsung 226CW) posted by Fleat in the 226BW Official Thread, it looks like his Innolux's Panel w2207 does look better than 226CW Samsung's LM220M2 Panel (97% Wide Color Gamut).

When did they start with diff. panels? i just bought mine a week ago looks good so far no bleeding, only problem is the view angles but usually in front anyway mine says Manufactured June 2007 Rev: LTGM24 its a w2007 SN: CNN7252DGX

I bought the HP w2207 today. I havent opened it yet. It is to replace my new Samsung 226BW. I can't say I had any major complaints with the samsung, and have no idea what panel it is. (Unmarked). But I dont like the stand, and I hear a lot of good reviews about the colors/screen on the HP. I like glossy screens from when I had a 17" LCD Sony X-brite in the old days, so that wont be a problem. my HP box also says "Has DVI" so i think I might get that cable also. I'll prob unbox it tonight and try it out.

Ps, it was on sale at Circuit City for $319.

Went from Samsung 226BW to HP w2207..

I'm still speechless after just having fired up the HP. It is the most beautiful picture I have ever seen. Maybe the gloss makes it seem that way. to me personally, it blows the Samsung 226BW out of the water. Before you ask, I have no idea what panel my samsung had, nor do I care. I also don't care what panel this HP has. All I know with my own naked eyes, is the HP looks three times as perfect. I was kinda like "meh" when I got my Samsung 22" wide, sure its was decent, but nothing to get really excited about. I almost got wood the first time I boot up on my HP. My Samsung is now for sale locally, I am keeping this HP FOR SURE. And it was on sale at Circuit City for $319!!!

-The clarity is insane. I think its way clearer than the 226BW was. Its completely flawless in its crispness. The text on a scale of 1 to 10 is a 10 in clarity.

-I love the stand on the HP. It is fully adjustable and solid, unlike the plastic Samsung stand. I also love the height adjustment, I was bending my neck down to see the Samsung. It has the vertical twist mode also, but i won't be using that. An extra bonus, the bottom middle of the stand has some swivel thing, so you can turn the entire monitor left and right like it's on air. (It's a heavy monitor out of the box, much heavier than the Samsung.)

-It DID come with a DVI cable, make sure you box has a round orange sticker that says "Includes DVI".

-I won't be using the built in speakers obviously, but the USB is a nice touch. I ran the included cable from my monitor to one of my PC's USB ports. Now I have 2 active ports on the left side of my monitor. Nice for quick camcorder hookups and things like that.

-I will be turning off the "power light" in the upper corner, just to make sure I have no bleedthrough.

-I ran the pixel buddy stuff and have zero dead pixels.

I'm so stoked to play Bioshock for the 3rd time on this monitor now. And maybe a few races in DiRT while I'm at it.

ah man! I was going to get one this week at CC too but found out the sale was only for Sunday and Monday. Guess I'm too late. :mad:

guess you arent in the US? Its still $319 online for me now as of 2 mins ago. I bought it online and went in to pick it up.

yeah im in the US, its just that I found out about the sale like an hour ago but the banks here close at 5 so I can't get any money out and I don't have a debit/credit card.

yeah gave them a call and said its going to be on sale for the whole week!! so Im gonna go pick myself up one. I also asked them if it comes with a dvi cable and they said no. I guess im gonna have to go out and buy one. Anyone know which dvi cable I should get? I've never used one in the past before (crt user) and doing a quick google search for dvi cables brought me here which really confused me on which one I need. Theres just so many I just want to connect my lcd monitor to my nvidia 8800 card. :confused:

http://www.dcables.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=52&gclid=CPaNp9_Gqo4CFRSSIwodPwZ2Tw

dood, it comes with a DVI... dont waste your money until you make sure.

it does have a lot of reflections in bright rooms. i put pics in my other thread.

This is by far one of the best monitors I have seen, every time I go into circuit city I wish I had the money to buy one.

Just got mine today at CC and so far its very nice! Just one question...Is there a way to stop the blocky artifacts when a dvd movie is playing? When there is a lot of motion in the movie I can see blocky artifacts. Maybe there is a setting I haven't calibrated?

Back