The Official HP w2207/w2007 Thread

Backlight bleeding gets worse with time? Hope this isn't 'normal' for LCDs. :confused:

Does anyone currently use this monitor with their Playstation 3? I've read that the specs support 1:1 aspect ratio, but I thought that I also read that it didn't work with the DVI or the HDMI? Am I mistaken? I've read so many reviews online I'm mixing up my facts in my head!

I'd love to pick this up to use with my PS3, but I am concerned about the monitor streching the image to fit 16:9. I know the XBox 360 is smart enough to add letterbox black lines to the top and bottom of games displayed on monitor with ratios greater than 16:9. Does the PS3 also support this feature? Or will I have to settle for the image being streched to fit the 16:10 of the monitor?

Any issues with 1080p on the w2207h version?

I first would like to thank everyone for the discussion and information related to the 2207.

I found a 2207 at my local OfficeMax w/a Samsung panel and picked it up last night. I have used it all day after adjusting it. I am very pleased with it and can find no reason to return it. There are no dead pixels and there is no backlight bleed to speak of. I haven't had a chance to do any gaming or DVD watching, but I don't anticipate any issues.

This is my first lcd panel and I can't believe I waited so long to get one. I am loving it.

Any issues with 1080p on the w2207h version?

When I input 1080-material from my xbox360, the monitor says something like (can't remember it correcly atm) "the signal is out of bounds" or that the resolution is too high for the "optimal resolution" witch is 1680x1050 I guess...

The information panel that states that *STAYS* on top of the screen untill you change the resolution, so you can't really use the 1080-resolution.

With other resolution there is no problem and the monitor just scales them.

Like anyone need to hear this, but:

I got my w2207 last October or November, and it took me about 2 days to get the color settings just right. Haven't changed them since, and I STILL look at the screen occasionally and think "Damn. That is one sweet monitor." I have only 2 concerns about it:

1. The pivot screen doesn't pivot all the way down to level. It's off by a degree or two. Not a real problem, but come on. I checked it with a level, just to see if I was crazy. Another friend has seen this on the one he got for his parents too.

2. The screen is covered with gunk from my kids coughing and sneezing at it. Gross. And the screen is so glossy, you can really see it. HP recommends NOT using water or liquid to clean it, so I just use a soft cotton cloth, but it doesn't work on things that arent' fingerprints.

But for gaming: freaking awesome. Couldn't be happier.

knobbicus

Hi everybody

I would like to share my story with you.

I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina and I bought this w2207 2 weeks ago. First of all, let me say reading this page that has grown up to 45 pages now ( wow ! ) has absolutely increased my happiness about this monitor. Yes, I'm talking about the fact of knowing I own a Samsung panel revision: August 2007 , STM001.

I spent 1 month searching for the Samsung 2232GW. It was sold out in just 15 days since its release date. So I got no choice of buying another glossy lcd. Glossy was my main search criteria as it is something I really like and fell in love with when I saw it. I was a former owner of a Samsung 206NW which I had to change for a 2032NW do to a stuck pixel. As unbelievable as it is, we have N models as they take their DVI off in order to avoid higher taxes. It's ridiculous. %10 taxes for IT products, % 21 taxes for television products as DVI is considered a television component (???). Anyways, back to my story, during my 1 month search I happened to see this monitor on a local home appliances store next to a very compact HP computer which model I don't recall now, and everyone that passed by asked the sales man whether this monitor is for sale separately. Unfortunately, it was a whole package with that computer. I was lucky enough to find an official HP retailer who had the w2207 on display. After messing around with it, I was really convinced it was a very good alternative to the Samsung 2232GW.
My only concern was the quality of the panel as I was unfamiliar with HP monitors.

So I bought it and couldn't be happier. I was given a 4 day immediate return against any flaw. So I checked neither dead or stuck pixels nor backlight bleeding, nothing I can complain about. I was lucky enough with the outcome of this purchase as I literally bought it blind not knowing what I could expect from this HP monitor, specially knowing the good reputation of samsung panels though it was hard to get a true samsung panel on the biggers 226nw.

I've tried running it under both VGA and DVI cables noticing a better picture quality and also brightness on DVI.
My current settings are both brightness and contrast set at %60, and custom color with RGB set all to 255 resulting in very good whites.

Even though there are better panels out there, which I don't have any need for, this is all as good as it gets for a TN monitor, sincerely.

Cheers !

I finally caved in tonight. I finally bought my first LCD ever, the w2207. (I'll admit, this was my 2nd LCD monitor that I have owned, the previous one I was using was the 15 inch Gateway 1530. Talk about TINY compared to this!)

I shopped around town for the right panel yesterday (considering the fact that it's Saturday), as I wanted to be happy with the first LCD purchase that can last me for a good few years. I hunted around for a Samsung panel, and the only option was to buy a w2207 apart from buying them online. Fortunately for me, Office Max had a sale going on for this monitor at $299, which to me was a good deal regardless if it is a non-h (hdmi input) monitor. Elsewhere I could only find this monitor going for more than 329 at other stores and the only other place that I could pricematch this monitor was Staples, and all they had was Innolux panels. I went to two Office Max before finding the STM001 panel that I have here. I was very fortunate to get it since I only noticed the ATM001 panel stocked on the floor at my store, so I asked a sales associate if they had anymore in the back, and indeed they did. The first panel that they brought out from the back was the STM001 and I just grabbed it and gave myself a big grin on my face like a kid at a candy store.

Score one for me for grabbing the Samsung, especially when it was manufactured in December 07. Score two for getting it for a good deal at 299 + tax. Score three for no dead pixels after checking it out. A trifecta. Wooo!

This monitor is gorgeous, it puts my wife's 15.4 inch widescreen laptop to shame and it's also a glossy monitor! Heck, after using this monitor for a little while I decided to watch some TV across the room. I have an old (ok, fairly new, 2002'ish) CRT TV. Let me tell you, the first thing that came to my mind was, "OMG, what a crap! time to replace it!" I guess I'll have to replace it anyway since there's this February 14, 2009 deadline for SDTV. I'll be sure to hunt for something 37'' or higher. I must emphasize that this monitor is absolutely freaking fantastic!

I would like to thank some of the posters on this thread for extremely valuable information such as monitor panel revision code and information. It has helped me exceedingly and it has especially made this monitor purchase a fantastic experience overall. I know there are a few drawbacks to using this monitor such as it is a TN panel, but I don't care. I have used a 15 inch Gateway LCD for a while now, anything better than that has to be an improvement! Kudos to everybody!

Like anyone need to hear this, but:

....... The screen is covered with gunk from my kids coughing and sneezing at it. Gross. And the screen is so glossy, you can really see it. HP recommends NOT using water or liquid to clean it, so I just use a soft cotton cloth, but it doesn't work on things that arent' fingerprints.

knobbicus

If you cannot clean it with water or any liquid, how do you clean it?

If you cannot clean it with water or any liquid, how do you clean it?

Well as previously suggested manufacturers, such as HP, recommend using a soft-cloth (which are only a few bucks). To get smudges off with one, you have to scrub pretty hard. However, there are such things as LCD wipes and sprays that you can purchase, and considering the screen is glossy I don't see why you couldn't use them lightly.

I went looking for a Samsung panel w2207 this weekend but was only able to find the Innolux revisions. I went ahead and bought the w2207h from Best Buy anyway. I haven't hooked it up yet but I was just wondering if anyone has gotten a w2207h that had a Samsung panel. From what I've seen in this thread all of the 2207h's have been either LGs or Innoluxes. If there are w2207 Sammy's available then I think I'll just return the monitor I bought today and try and track down the Samsung revision.

Guys,

You may be laughing, but I have this question:

Anyone would know where I can find w2207 drivers for Windows 98? Yep, I still use it to navigate the Internet. It's more secure and I am not in Symantec's pocket. OK, some of you may plead contest, but for me it works :)

Yeah, HP sends me to their support site, but for 98 all they have is some adjusting software.

Thanks, Sylva.

Guys,

You may be laughing, but I have this question:

Anyone would know where I can find w2207 drivers for Windows 98? Yep, I still use it to navigate the Internet. It's more secure and I am not in Symantec's pocket. OK, some of you may plead contest, but for me it works :)

Yeah, HP sends me to their support site, but for 98 all they have is some adjusting software.

Thanks, Sylva.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I never installed any drivers for the monitor.

Windows 98 will recognize only up to 1080 x 1024 resolution, though the card goes up to 2500 x 1600 (these are of course bulk numbers). Everything else, colors, font scaling (though not all), etc. is fine.

Sylva.

Windows 98 will recognize only up to 1080 x 1024 resolution, though the card goes up to 2500 x 1600 (these are of course bulk numbers). Everything else, colors, font scaling (though not everything because graphics are stretched somewhat), etc. is fine.

Sylva.

Sorry for the repeat.

Windows 98 will recognize only up to 1080 x 1024 resolution, though the card goes up to 2500 x 1600 (these are of course bulk numbers). Everything else, colors, font scaling (though not all), etc. is fine.

Sylva.

Weird. Is it possible that there is a maximum resolution for Windows 98? Do you have Win98 SE or just Win98? I am assuming you have the latest driver for your graphics card.

I found this, but no one could answer his question either.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1142682

Have you tried a CRT monitor? If the CRT can support a higher resolution, then its obviously not a Win98 limitation.

And when you talk about "1080 x 1024," do you mean 1280 x 1024? "2500 x 1600," meaning 2560 x 1600? I am not trying to be an ass, but when you talk about resolutions and troubleshooting it helps to be exact.

EDIT: I just read your second post. If you turn on the scaling, it shouldn't stretch it which might help you while you're troubleshooting.

Code:
Menu> Image Control> Custom Scaling...> Fill to Aspect Ratio> Save and Return

So, the numbers, as I wrote before, are bulk, however when setting resolution I used exact numbers of course (I always look them up). Yep, it's Win98SE. CRTs? Well... my last one died in 2002, emitting white smoke :) and I have never looked back since. I don't think Win98 maxes out at 1280x1024, since CRTs were already going way beyond this res at the time of its design. The stretch doesn't bother me much, though I'll look into it (thanks), but the res definitely does. It's a puzzle and I wasn't expecting it to happen. I still think it's a matter of drivers. Apparently, HP has 98/ME drivers buried in its CD, which I hastened to install. They don't seem to work on my installation. It may be that they're a collection of Color schemes and not drivers because all one sees on the Windows driver page is a color scheme file (.icm).

Anyway, much thanks for your input.

Sylva.

So, the numbers, as I wrote before, are bulk, however when setting resolution I used exact numbers of course (I always look them up). Yep, it's Win98SE. CRTs? Well... my last one died in 2002, emitting white smoke :) and I have never looked back since. I don't think Win98 maxes out at 1280x1024, since CRTs were already going way beyond this res at the time of its design. The stretch doesn't bother me much, though I'll look into it (thanks), but the res definitely does. It's a puzzle and I wasn't expecting it to happen. I still think it's a matter of drivers. Apparently, HP has 98/ME drivers buried in its CD, which I hastened to install. They don't seem to work on my installation. It may be that they're a collection of Color schemes and not drivers because all one sees on the Windows driver page is a color scheme file (.icm).

Anyway, much thanks for your input.

Sylva.

I did some digging, and Windows 98SE supports widescreen resolutions, but only if the video card's driver supports it--the video driver being the limitation, which I had assumed. The driver for the monitor itself accomplishes nothing to this end and is, as you assumed, not really a driver at all, but color/gamma information.

What kind of video card are you running? It seems that older cards and integrated video do not support 16:10 ratios used in 1680x1050, 1440x900, 1920x1200, etc. Have you used a widescreen monitor with this rig before?

I'm really having a hard time finding a good LCD. My current one is an old SyncMaster 912N, which has been just great for me and I love it. I've never noticed any blb or, the viewing angles are fine and although the response time is 25ms, it works just fine for gaming.

I'm gonna go have a look at the w2007 tomorrow. Found one for about $258. Hope it has the STM001 panel in it.

Just got my w2207h for $260+13% tax. The rev is ATM002. I'll set it up later when I get home. anyone know what manufacturer this is?

HP w2007:

Code:
REV.            Panel Code         Brand of Panel
PTG001          PTGM25             ????
ATG001          ATGM24             ????

HP w2207:

Code:
REV.            Panel Code          Brand of Panel
STM001          LTM220M1-L01        Samsung
GTM001          LM220WE1-TLB        LG
GTMV1.6         LM220WE1-TLB1       LG
ITM001          MT220WW01-V1        Innolux
ITM002          ????????????        Innolux?

HP w2207h:

Code:
Rev.            Panel Code          Brand of Panel
ATM002          LM220EW01-V2        Innolux
GTM001          LM220WE1-TLB        LG
GTM002          LM220WE1-TLB        LG

How to find your panel code:

1. Turn off your monitor.
2. Press and hold the 'menu' button.
3. Turn the monitor back on.
4. Release the menu button.
5. Press the menu button again.
6. A "Service..." option will appear.
7. Select it and it will display the Panel's model number at the bottom.
8. Post your findings here, if you'd like.

I've never heard of the ATM002 Rev on a w2207h. It must be something new. If at all possible, look up the panel code using the procedure above. Thanks.

So what's the difference between the w2207 and the 22207h?

The w2207h uses HDMI instead of DVI, but both have a standard VGA port. The w2207h also uses LG and Innolux panels whereas the w2207 is available with the more desirable Samsung panel.

I went by OfficeMax today on a whim to see if they would have any of the STM001 revision monitors. As luck would have it they did. The backlight bleeding on it is way better than my Innolux revision w2207h, but it seems like the colors are far less consistent. The top-left corner of the screen seems to be slightly darker than the rest of the screen and the vertical viewing angle also seems worse. Could I just have a bad monitor? I guess I'll hook them both up side by side and compare them to see if there is really a difference or if my eyes are playing tricks on me.

The card is an Nvidia Vanta LT. I'm going to do some digging of my own. This card has been traveling between my 3 old/upgraded computers and quite adequate with the w2207. Even with Win98 it fills up the entire wide screen, but the resolution is low. Maybe it has some updated 98 wide screen drivers on Nvidia's site. I am going there right away.

Sylva.

Oh, and DirtyDrummer, the w2207 is a GREAT monitor. I have it since April 07 and still marvel at its colors and cristal clear picture. Good luck and enjoy it if you get it.

The card is an Nvidia Vanta LT. I'm going to do some digging of my own. This card has been traveling between my 3 old/upgraded computers and quite adequate with the w2207. Even with Win98 it fills up the entire wide screen, but the resolution is low. Maybe it has some updated 98 wide screen drivers on Nvidia's site. I am going there right away.

Sylva.

Oh, and DirtyDrummer, the w2207 is a GREAT monitor. I have it since April 07 and still marvel at its colors and cristal clear picture. Good luck and enjoy it if you get it.

I actually have a couple of Vanta LT's. If I can scrounge up an AGP mobo, I'll test a widescreen resolution on it. It will most likely be under Win2K though, because I don't have a Win98SE disc.

It does appear, however, that the Vanta LT supports up to 1920 x 1200 but it doesn't mention 1680 x 1050 so I'm going to try this myself. I'll post back with my findings when I get the opportunity--its a busy day.

as I promised, I downloaded the newest drivers made in 2005. This tells me that Nvidia is a good co., unlike others that after 2-3 years of manufacture don't develop the drivers anymore.

However, the drivers max out at 1600x1024. No 1680x1050 or beyond. However, wide screen is honored. Go figure. In 2005 there were plenty of wide screens already. I have no idea what their reasoning about the res was. Anyway, it's much better than before, but font-wise the letters are smudgy, though not excessively.

Thanks again, Sylva.

Well they didn't have the w2007 for $280, nor did they have the w2207 for $330. They did however have the w2207h for $350, so I took it home with me.

The thing is just beautiful. Colors are perfect and everyhting looks crisp. Only a little blb at top and bottom which is only noticible when it's a very dark scene.

Over all I am very happy with this monitor.

First post here :)

Glad I found these forums first off. And second I just picked up my Hp w2207 for $309 from circuit city. These LCD is great, no dead or stuck pixels, no backlight bleeding and settings were great right out of the box. I got the MT22OWW01-V1 panel. Blacks look excellent of this lcd. Fired up some games and no ghosting or blurring at all, but I use vsync so that probably helps. Overall very very impressed with it considering its a 6 bit panel. Even the view angles aren't that bad. I have an old nec 20wmgx2 which is an 8 bit panel, and although its colors are better than the hp's, they aren't leaps and bounds better. Text is just as sharp on the HP as it is on the 20wmgx2. My only gripe is the stand, its rather bulky and large, I can't push it back to far on my desk because my desk has a back to it, so my lcd has to sit a tad to close to me, but I can live with it.Two thumbs up for this HP LCD :) and again I'm glad I found these forums.

First post here :)

Glad I found these forums first off. And second I just picked up my Hp w2207 for $309 from circuit city. These LCD is great, no dead or stuck pixels, no backlight bleeding and settings were great right out of the box. I got the MT22OWW01-V1 panel. Blacks look excellent of this lcd. Fired up some games and no ghosting or blurring at all, but I use vsync so that probably helps. Overall very very impressed with it considering its a 6 bit panel. Even the view angles aren't that bad. I have an old nec 20wmgx2 which is an 8 bit panel, and although its colors are better than the hp's, they aren't leaps and bounds better. Text is just as sharp on the HP as it is on the 20wmgx2. My only gripe is the stand, its rather bulky and large, I can't push it back to far on my desk because my desk has a back to it, so my lcd has to sit a tad to close to me, but I can live with it.Two thumbs up for this HP LCD :) and again I'm glad I found these forums.

how did you get it for $309?

I picked up a w2207 w/ a Samsung panel tonight from Office Max. Got it for $329.99 plus tax (came out to $350 something)

Just plugged it in and when loading windows I noticed it has horrible blacklight bleed. The monitor came with both contrast and brightness cranked up so I turned them down and that seems to help... idk I'll have to see...

Its $309 at CC right now :) And I just noticed it has 1 stuck pixel in the upper most right hand corner almost off the screen, should I exchange it

Its $309 at CC right now :) And I just noticed it has 1 stuck pixel in the upper most right hand corner almost off the screen, should I exchange it

I'm not sure they will exchange it for 1 dead pixel. You could say it was a gift and you realized it wasn't what you wanted.

Also you might get a few more dollars off (at least for anyone else buying from CC) by using one of the coupons here: http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=93902&t=659091&page=72

I picked mine up from Staples a couple of weeks ago for $254 out the door..

Yeah its almost off the screen way in the upper most part of the right hand corner, and you really really have to look for it on a light background to see it. Its stuck on red.

Which version? the HDMI or the non-HDMI? I only see the HDMI version on their website and it says $350 (was 330 last week)

Which version? the HDMI or the non-HDMI? I only see the HDMI version on their website and it says $350 (was 330 last week)

It's sold through their outlet portion (search HP monitor) and you will see it.

Great thread. Bicycle wreck, your panel matching codes are outstanding. Thank you.
I've been looking at monitors for a few weeks now and the more research I did, the more I started leaning towards the W2207 after originally looking at Samsungs. It finally came down the Samsung 216bw and the HP w2207. I have to say reading sooo many reviews about the HP including this thread really helped. And today I was at Costco and decided to see if they had em both so I could compare the two. Sure enough they did. First I checked out the Samsung 216bw and it looked decent dead on, but literally only a few inches up/down or left/right had me seeing severe color changes. I fiddled with it for a while but nothing I did helped. And the stand wasn't much better. It could only tilt from 0 degrees (straight up and down) to maybe 8 or 10 degrees back, and the height wasn't adjustable. And of course no portrait mode.
Then I walked around the corner of the display and took a closer look at the W2207. This was the first time I had seen it in person. My first thought was Wow....pictures online just don't do it justice. This thing oozed quality in the same way a Ferrari does, even when it's standing still. The pictures on it were crystal clear and the glossy screen made the images look amazing. Then I checked the service menu for the panel code and was surprised to see it was an Innolux. After what I've read here, I decided to take a much closer look at the picture and color, and also set the screensaver to blank to see the monitor all black. I wanted to be objective, and not let my first impression sway me. I tried hard to find something wrong. Probably spent 45 minutes messing with various OSD settings and checking the different color shades with different settings. And looking at it from various angles I was pleasantly surprised how well the picture held up.
Even when I had the all black screensaver on, I couldn't notice any light bleeding from the edges, but this was at the store so I couldn't check it in a darkened room. And the colors.... omg the colors were so vivid, especially when compared to the monitors on either side which looked washed out next sitting next to the HP. And the image itself was incredibly sharp and clear. Even with the brightness and contrast both set between 90 and 95, the picture was just beautiful. Even the stand screamed quality. Solid metal, not plastic. Rock steady and adjustable any way my heart desired. I had to have it, I was hooked. Problem was, Costco only sold the w2207 bundled with a system, not by itself.
So as soon as I got home, I checked prices online and decided to go with a refurb for only $249 direct from the HP outlet. Was only $7 more for next business day shipping so I went with that. It should be here Tuesday. I can't wait till it gets here so I can see what panel I have and see how it looks on my desk. I just hope the one I get looks as good as it did at the store. I'll post again when I get it.

In the meantime I have a few questions and don't feel like trolling thru 46 pages again to find the answers. I run windows XP pro. Should I install the drivers or just set it up thru my radeon control panel? Not sure what kind of difference it would make or if the driver also installs a color profile, but I remember reading something about it here. I'm also wondering if the included HP DisplayMate Calibration software is any good?
Any input is appreciated.

Easy

Back