The Official HP w2207/w2007 Thread

I'm retarded :) It wasn't a stuck pixel, it was spit splater :) I've been coughing all week from brochtis and it must have been from that. I got some screen cleaner and cleaned the screen real good, then did dead pixel test again and sure enough it was gone :) now I'm a happy camper :) and before anyone says it yes I do cover my mouth when I cough :) it must have escaped that time :)

In the meantime I have a few questions and don't feel like trolling thru 46 pages again to find the answers. I run windows XP pro. Should I install the drivers or just set it up thru my radeon control panel? Not sure what kind of difference it would make or if the driver also installs a color profile, but I remember reading something about it here. I'm also wondering if the included HP DisplayMate Calibration software is any good?
Any input is appreciated.

Easy

The software on the CD is fairly worthless. I would just use the ATi software to set your gamma and color correction to your liking. Its going to take some tweaking, but it is worth it in the end. All the panels are going to vary slightly, so just find what looks best for you.

Just picked up a w2207 at CC. They only had a few left and apparently they were on clearance because they sold it to me for $297, which was less than the $309 quoted online. They had the h there too but it was $349.

I had looked around several places but I couldn't find one with the Samsung panel. At this price, I figured it was worth it to take a chance on the Innolux, which is what I got. So far I am pleased. Default colors look great, minor backlight bleed at the top and bottom edges of the screen, and no dead pixels.

I am connected by DVI. The monitor came preset in Text mode, with a brightness of 90 and a contrast of 80. I will probably lower the brightness somewhat. The latest MyDisplay software seems to work fine.

Now to find some widescreen wallpaper!

Yeah so far I am very pleased by this monitor. I have the famous nec 20wmgx2 running in dual monitor mode and I can honestly say I can't tell a difference between the two. Both look awesome. the only time I know its a tn panel is when I stand up and the hp screen turns yellow and the nec is still like it was if I was sitting in front of it. But for $320 you can't go wrong.

I just ordered the HP W2207 off of Amazon of all places for $282.99 ($308.01 shipped). After reading through this thread and some online reviews, this monitor should work very well for me. I just hope I get lucky and there is no problems with it. Now I can get rid of my dual 19" CRT's and free up some desk space.

Finally got mine yesterday. A refurb from the HP store. Originally manufactured in Feb 07.

GTMV1.6
LM220WE1-TLB1

It's an LG panel.

Even after all the reading I've done on monitors before getting this, I had no idea how much of a pain in the butt setting up an LCD is!

Anyway there is some light bleed at the top of the screen and the dam usb ports don't work even though windows recognizes the hub. Nothing happens when I plug anything into them.
I really don't want to go the hassle of returning this but I'm thinking about. If I do I will just get a refund and buy a brand new one, no more refurbs.

Over all, I'm happy with the monitor but the non working usb ports are a bit annoying.

Easy

HP w2207h
REV GTM003
Dec/2007

GTMH3.7
LM220WE1-TLB (LG)

No dead pixels. Lots of backlight bleeding (I think, but then its my first LCD monitor) - not a major concern tho. Colours get noticeably lighter at bottom of screen, but then I was prepared for that. IM??? boxes, Innolux? were also available.

BB Canada $351 less 10% (on customer appreciation day) less another $50 because I brought in an old CRT (part of HP green promotion). Good deal 'cause it cost $0.52 a pound to get rid of CRTs here. Won't mention taxes. Plus needed a DVI to HDMI cable bought separately.

I like it. Thought about DELL 2407 or waiting for 2408, but couldn't justify $600+.

Is there a way to identify the panel from the outside of the box? Is there a difference in backlight bleed or viewing angles between the LG and Innolux panels for the w2207h? Also, is the input lag and ghosting still very low for the w2207h as with the w2207?

Is there a way to identify the panel from the outside of the box? Is there a difference in backlight bleed or viewing angles between the LG and Innolux panels for the w2207h? Also, is the input lag and ghosting still very low for the w2207h as with the w2207?

wrt panels, see post #902 back a couple of pages. In the table, the column labelled "REV", i.e. "GTM00x" will actually be on the outside of the box. Salespeople will tell you it means nothing, but according to this thread, using the table you can tell the panel manufacturer. I picked LG because I saw very little about Innolux, and only comments that the Samsung was better than the LG. The "AnandTech LCD thread" recommended the w2207 with either the Samsung or LG.

wrt panels, see post #902 back a couple of pages. In the table, the column labelled "REV", i.e. "GMT00x" will actually be on the outside of the box. Salespeople will tell you it means nothing, but according to this thread, using the table you can tell the panel manufacturer. I picked LG because I saw very little about Innolux, and only comments that the Samsung was better than the LG. The "AnandTech LCD thread" recommended the w2207 with either the Samsung or LG.

QFT.

HP w2007:

Code:
REV.            Panel Code         Brand of Panel
PTG001          PTGM25             ????
ATG001          ATGM24             ????

HP w2207:

Code:
REV.            Panel Code          Brand of Panel
STM001          LTM220M1-L01        Samsung
GTM001          LM220WE1-TLB        LG
GTMV1.6         LM220WE1-TLB1       LG
ITM001          MT220WW01-V1        Innolux
ITM002          ????????????        Innolux?

HP w2207h:

Code:
Rev.            Panel Code          Brand of Panel
ATM002          LM220EW01-V2        Innolux
GTM001          LM220WE1-TLB        LG
GTM002          LM220WE1-TLB        LG

How to find your panel code:

1. Turn off your monitor.
2. Press and hold the 'menu' button.
3. Turn the monitor back on.
4. Release the menu button.
5. Press the menu button again.
6. A "Service..." option will appear.
7. Select it and it will display the Panel's model number at the bottom.
8. Post your findings here, if you'd like.

I noticed that post with the codes and the panels. I should have mentioned it. I really appreciate that table. I just didn't know if any of that info was on the outside of the box. But thanks for clarifying.

I'm getting bleed with my samsung panel that I just picked up on Saturday. I also have 1 stuck pixel. This was the only Samsung panel I could find. Would it be worth it to try to trade it for an LG or involux?

I'm getting bleed with my samsung panel that I just picked up on Saturday. I also have 1 stuck pixel. This was the only Samsung panel I could find. Would it be worth it to try to trade it for an LG or involux?

That depends on the location of the pixel, and its color along with the severity of the backlight bleed. Overall, I'm going to say, 'no.' I have a single blue/gray pixel, and a single dead pixel, but both are in areas of the screen that don't bother me.

The first w2207 I brought home had a bright blue pixel that just burned my eyes out, whereas the pixel defects I have with the new monitor can only be found with a pixel tester. Simply because you exchange the monitor, doesn't mean you are going to get what you want. If the pixel bothers you, then exchange it, but be aware...

$ .02

In Best Buy and Futureshop in Toronto, I saw many w2207h with ITM001. In fact, I must have checked 20 of them in 4-5 stores, only one was GTM002.....

I hooked my old nec 20wmgx2 up to the hp w2207 using dual monitors. And I must say their really is no comparing an 8 bit lcd to a 6 bit. After looking at both, the nec is clearly better at displaying whites and blacks. The hp has a blue tinge to it, that the nec doesn't its pure white. And if I move just slightly the HP screen becomes yellow and the nec is still good to go. I wanted to go bigger than 20.1 on my nec that's why I got the 22 inch HP, but now after seeing them side by side the nec is clearly the winner of the color and view angle game. I think I'll stick with my nec. Its funny how I never noticed that blue tinge until I had it side by side with the nec. The nec's whites are pure white, and the hp's were blueish white....

That depends on the location of the pixel, and its color along with the severity of the backlight bleed. Overall, I'm going to say, 'no.' I have a single blue/gray pixel, and a single dead pixel, but both are in areas of the screen that don't bother me.

The first w2207 I brought home had a bright blue pixel that just burned my eyes out, whereas the pixel defects I have with the new monitor can only be found with a pixel tester. Simply because you exchange the monitor, doesn't mean you are going to get what you want. If the pixel bothers you, then exchange it, but be aware...

$ .02

the stuck pixel is blue on black and is about half way down and about 3" in from the left so it sometimes bothers me and sometimes doesn't.

The bleed was really bad when I first plugged it in, but after calibrating it as good as I could using the lagoon website it is very minimal on the top and sides and low on the bottom.

Just a little frustrating bc I went from a 19" Viewsonic w/o any problems adn a 17" dell w/o any problems and then picked up a 24" Soyo that didn't have any issues either. Decided the Soyo was too big so it's going back to the store tomorrow.

The bleed was really bad when I first plugged it in, but after calibrating it as good as I could using the lagoon website it is very minimal on the top and sides and low on the bottom.

What website are you referring to?

I built myself a new computer and decided to give my old one to my mom. She wasn't too sure about this at first, but now she's "totally geeked". She's spending a lot of time looking up the family's ancestry and searching for antique bottles (she used to collect antique bottles when she was younger). I worried about her hunched over the keyboard in an old chair at her sewing desk so I gave her my computer desk, my adjustable office chair, and my HP f1905e 19" monitor. She's a lot more comfortable now and I don't have to worry about her developing any nasty tendon or back problems.

Of course I had to get myself a new desk so I plunked down a little over $500 for a dark walnut corner desk with two 3-drawer cabinets and a sliding keyboard tray. A nice solid outfit with the old antique brass fittings. Now I just need a new monitor.....

I began to research 22" widescreen monitors when I got to work and after Googling a bit I ran across the HP w2207. Having been extremely satisfied with my 19" f1905e I decided another HP would be a sound choice. I found this thread and read every post and then I went directly to the HP site and found they have a refurbished w2207 for $249.99. Is this a good deal? How is HP's refurbished products? Has anyone had any experience with this?

I'm a graphic designer so I need a monitor that has decent color representation. I did notice on a few review sites the monitor got some bad feedback in this area. Just wondering if the HP w2007 would be a better deal or perhaps the CHIMEI 221D 22" (which was my original choice).

Scroll up a few and you'll see that I just got my refurb from HP a few days ago. Cosmetically, it was in brand new condition but the USB ports don't work, and I still don't have the color on this thing adjusted quite right.
As a matter of fact, it's a pain in the ass to adjust it properly. But once you do, you'll enjoy it that much more. I'll thinking about picking up the spyder2 suite on ebay for $100. I figure that'll get it adjusted with a lot less headaches.

As for using this monitor for graphics design, I would have to say that's a big no. Like almost all 22" monitors this is only a 6 bit panel. You want an 8 bit panel for truer color reproduction. You would be much better off with a 24". Not putting this monitor down, but, it is what it is.
Spend the money for the Dell 24" ultrasharp (it's about $600, don't get the cheaper 24"). It's a very highly rated monitor and it's perfect for graphics design. Very accurate colors and very close to perfect adjustment right out of the box.

Easy

Spend the money for the Dell 24" ultrasharp (it's about $600, don't get the cheaper 24"). It's a very highly rated monitor and it's perfect for graphics design. Very accurate colors and very close to perfect adjustment right out of the box.

Easy Duzit, thanks for the reply. I can't afford that much for a monitor, but how about the 2208WFP? It's currently going for $289 on the Dell site.

A new wrinkle ... I just found out about 6bit and 8bit monitors. As a designer I would need an 8bit monitor, which translates into 8-12ms response time. None of the monitors I've mentioned are 8bit, not even the 24" Dell. For that kind of money I would definitely want an 8bit. Therefore the search continues ....

HP w2207h:

Code:
Rev. Panel Code Brand of Panel
ATM002 LM220EW01-V2 Innolux
GTM001 LM220WE1-TLB LG
GTM002 LM220WE1-TLB LG

This is no good. w2207 is no where to be found and there is no Samsung panel for the w2207h. Is the LG panel better then Innolux panel?

Maybe we should now consider other offerings from Samsung !!!

HP w2207h:

Code:
Rev. Panel Code Brand of Panel
ATM002 LM220EW01-V2 Innolux
GTM001 LM220WE1-TLB LG
GTM002 LM220WE1-TLB LG

This is no good. w2207 is no where to be found and there is no Samsung panel for the w2207h. Is the LG panel better then Innolux panel?

Maybe we should now consider other offerings from Samsung !!!

CC has the w2207 in some stores.
Staples, Office Max, Office Depot all have the w2207

I checked Staples in Tonronto and Montreal and they all do not have the w2207. They were kind enough to check other local stores for me.

Same for Best Buy and Futreshops here...

I know for a fact that FutureShop in Newmarket has the w2207 and even has some refurbished units for $269

I know for a fact that FutureShop in Newmarket has the w2207 and even has some refurbished units for $269

If you are talking about Hwy-7 and Warden, I was there 2 weeks ago. While they had a few new w2207h, they had no new w2207 but they did have a new refurbished units. I did not consider these refurbs because I did not know if they're any good.

How are these refurb units? Any good?

I received my w2207 from Amazon, no dead pixels and very minimal backlight bleed. This display is very nice, and I have not even got around to calibrating it yet. I'll try to find out what panel it has later on tonight.

edit: Rev. ITM002, don't know panel code. I can't seem to get into the service menu.

Returned my w2207h ITM002 $350 to Fry's.

Purchased a w2207h GTM002 from Best Buy for $298.

The GTM has less backlight bleed. Colors seem a little more faded, or maybe the monitor just seems brighter. I haven't tweaked it yet, didn't have to tweak the ITM. Would have kept the ITM, but I was able to work a sweet deal for the GTM.

It's been on for less than 5 minuets, plus it's 1:46am...so maybe it's just me.

Returned my w2207h ITM002 $350 to Fry's.

Purchased a w2207h GTM002 from Best Buy for $298.

The GTM has less backlight bleed. Colors seem a little more faded, or maybe the monitor just seems brighter. I haven't tweaked it yet, didn't have to tweak the ITM. Would have kept the ITM, but I was able to work a sweet deal for the GTM.

Do you mean that you find the ITM panel better than the GTM panel? Or at least you like the ITM better?

I picked up a refurb'd unit back in December, no issues.

I did not pick up the refurb'ed w2207 because I did not know if they're any good. People returned them usually for valid reasons; maybe dead pixels......

I just saw from Futureshop website that they have refurb units again for $269. Are they refurbished by the manufacturer? If so, they should be fine, right?

Do you mean that you find the ITM panel better than the GTM panel? Or at least you like the ITM better?

No, the LG panel (GTM) is by far superior. There is less backlight bleeding. Also, it doesn't darken nearly as much when I tilt back in my chair, so it has a bit better viewing angle I guess.

No, the LG panel (GTM) is by far superior. There is less backlight bleeding. Also, it doesn't darken nearly as much when I tilt back in my chair, so it has a bit better viewing angle I guess.

AFAIK, backlight bleeding isn't dependent on the panel type. It's merely an assembly issue.

AFAIK, backlight bleeding isn't dependent on the panel type. It's merely an assembly issue.

Maybe it came from a different plant?

Also, I spent a few hours last night going to different calibration websites and installing the drivers for the monitor. I didn't have to do any calibration, as everything was/is fine. The colors are spot on and the grey scale is accurate. This thing just looks fabulous!

Hi Guys

New to the forum so be gentle :)

I spoke to my local John Lewis store and they have GTM003 rev in stock, is this a safe bet with regards to the panel used??

Many thanks ;)

Back