The Official Netbook Thread

prodigee

Gawd
POST PICS OF YOUR NETBOOK HERE!

Ok so the forum doesn't get flooded with netbook question and what not, I thought it would be a good idea to have 1 main thread where all netbooks can be discussed, from subjects such as which netbook to buy, to what accessories we use with them (i.e. cases, mice, speakers etc.).

My question as of right now is what case do you guys use for your netbooks?
Also what 2 GB RAM upgrade are you guys using?

Last edited:
My question as of right now is what case do you guys use for your netbooks?
I'm using the slip case that came with my Asus 1005HA, but I'm probably gonna get another case with a strap and room for the AC adapter and a mouse...

How do you like the 1005ha? I was going to get one but then I got a Dell Mini 10v because I wanted the flawless hackintosh that can be done. And the fact that on the 6-cell I can get like 6.5 hours of battery life. Even though that is nothing compared to the almost 9 hours that you get on your 1005ha.

How do you like the 1005ha? I was going to get one but then I got a Dell Mini 10v because I wanted the flawless hackintosh that can be done. And the fact that on the 6-cell I can get like 6.5 hours of battery life. Even though that is nothing compared to the almost 9 hours that you get on your 1005ha.

It's a great netbook. It's my first netbook and I love it... It came from Newegg in the mail yesterday... Already ordered a 2GB Dimm from newegg to upgrade. Out of the box it's pretty fast. Battery life is great... nowhere near 10 hours, but I was able to get a little of 8.5hours out of it.

Well I was close with my guess of 9 :D. Every person I have asked so far about it says they love it. But the ability to hackintosh was the deciding factor for me. If you don't mind telling me what RAM you got that would be great.

How's the Toshiba NB205? I had a 1005HA. It was nice, don't get me wrong. But the lack of upgradable HD without voiding the warranty didn't excite me. I ended up selling it to a coworker.

For anyone with a Toshiba, is the wifi card accessable in one of the bays underneath? I think it's just RAM and the HD. But I'm hoping for the wifi too, so I can replace with a 1510 and hackintosh it.

WTF, "official"? There are so many variations of netbooks that it's ridiculous to have one thread for all. You can have a thread for one model or variant, but that's kinda been done by NBR already.

Regarding the question about the HP Mini 1000, I had one. I loved it a lot except for one glaring flaw. The screen bumpers weren't thick enough to prevent the screen from hitting the keyboard, which left marks on it. I was told that this could eventually damage the screen, so I managed to get a refund. They may have improved this by now, and I imagine there is something that could be done to fix the issue. Other than that flaw, the HP Mini was absolutely brilliant, with an awesome keyboard, awesome screen, and even a pretty good speaker system for a netbook.

I'm using the slip case that came with my Asus 1005HA, but I'm probably gonna get another case with a strap and room for the AC adapter and a mouse...

Check out http://www.pcmicrostore.com/PartDetail.aspx?q=p:10510510;c:100806

This case is hands down the best I've seen for a netbook. Believe me... in person it is very well made, small, and fits most 10" netbooks PERFECTLY.

I tried a lot of different cases and wasted a lot of time looking. Save yourself the time.

They have free shipping and 20% off any netbook case using a code listed on the page: NETBOOKCASESOFF20%

It comes out to $30 shipped.

For me, my first generation AAO w/ a 120GB HDD and only 1GB or RAM does everything I could ever want a netbook to do. Windows 7 runs like an absolute dream.

My only gripe was the god-awful Atheros WiFi chip. Swapped it out with an Intel 5300 a/b/g/n mini-PCIe card ($20, eBay) and all is well.

As for a case, I use the pleather sleeve that came with it, then I just slip it in my backpack.

Check out http://www.pcmicrostore.com/PartDetail.aspx?q=p:10510510;c:100806

This case is hands down the best I've seen for a netbook. Believe me... in person it is very well made, small, and fits most 10" netbooks PERFECTLY.

I tried a lot of different cases and wasted a lot of time looking. Save yourself the time.

They have free shipping and 20% off any netbook case using a code listed on the page: NETBOOKCASESOFF20%

It comes out to $30 shipped.

Thanks i'll check it out :)

Has anyone had any experiences with the HP Mini 1035nr? or any of the 1000 series?
I had a 1035NR and I loved it, the battery life could have been much better, but all around I loved it, the keyboard was great, the touchpad was wonderful IMO. The only real downside to it is the battery life, and if you want a 6 cell battery it looks ridiculous and makes transporting the thing a whole lot harder. But other than that it was a WONDERFUL machine.

Thanks i'll check it out :)

I bought it for my girl's MSI Wind Hackintosh I setup for her. I was so surprised by the quality of the case. Most of the cases I saw locally were total crap and the ones on eBay looked even worse.

I have a Dell Mini 9 and I bought a Case Logic Messenger 4 bag. for $40.

For my 2GB upgrade, I went with Corsair DDR2 667mhz for $20 shipped from Newegg.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So that ram just down clocks? Thats good now I can get cheaper RAM for my 10v HOORAY!!!

So that ram just down clocks? Thats good now I can get cheaper RAM for my 10v HOORAY!!!

I think stock it is 667mhz for my Mini 9 from what I read but when I pulled out the 512mb chip, it happened to be DDR2 800. popped in the 667 ram and it works great.

I think stock it is 667mhz for my Mini 9 from what I read but when I pulled out the 512mb chip, it happened to be DDR2 800. popped in the 667 ram and it works great.
Interesting because I know that the FSB speed on the N270 is 533mhz I guess Dell was just using the cheapest RAM they could get their hands on and slapped it on in there, none the less this is great news. Thank you Zepher.

Has anyone installed iDeneb 1.5 on any of their Netbooks? I didn't feel like compiling my own -- I'm trying to install it on my HP Mini 1035nr.

(FYI I do own my own separate family pack license for OSX 10.5)

Also -- anyone have any other Netbook bag suggestions?

Last edited:
If you check out myhpmini.com there I am sure you can find instructions and information about running OSX on your 1035nr.

On the note of the bag/case you are talking about, when I had my Mini 1035nr I got the HP netbook sleeve which of course matched the swirl design on the netbook, but it held it quite nicely, it wasn't tight fit and there was a little bit of wiggle room in there but overall a fairly nice case. The only real issue (and this is only to me) was that it did not have any pockets, which meant that I would either have to carry the stuff out in the open or in a backpack which entirely defeated the point of having the sleeve.

On another note if anyone wants a skin for their netbook you should check out http://www.sgpstore.com/ cause their stuff is a really nice (I know several people with these skins and they say they are really quite nice, when they release the carbon fiber skin for the Dell Mini 10v you can be sure that I will be getting one.

(Wow that sounded really salesman like did not mean for it to come across that way it just did. My bad).

Back