The Official P45 Asus P5Q Motherboard Thread

I had one give up earlier this year, or I thought it went bad. It wouldn't even POST, just a black screen. On a hunch I pulled all the cards and it fired up. It turned out I had a Firewire card that went berserk and the MB was fine.
I spent about 8 hours troubleshooting it and tried everything I could think of. No go. I checked the web and many people experienced the same problems I did: an endless on/off/on cycle.

Early on MS tried to enforce a "no unsigned drivers" rule on Vista 64. The idea was that Vista 64 was a workstation O/S and needed to be rock stable. Of course not all the drivers the users wanted or needed to run (such as nearly every Asus driver I've ever used) was signed and it was a nightmare. MS has dropped the requirement.

When running 32bit apps in Vista 64 sometimes you may have to "open as administrator" to get it to launch. Other than a few nits, I really like the O/S.

Ohh ok. Never knew that about the driver signing issued by MS. Is 64bit Vista worth it. I want to run 4GB Ram on this new build and was weary on which version of Vista to get.

I spent about 8 hours troubleshooting it and tried everything I could think of. No go. I checked the web and many people experienced the same problems I did: an endless on/off/on cycle.

That sux. I have a nasty habit of messing around too much and sometimes getting my rig wrapped around the axel. But that’s how you learn, right? I keep a few Linux “Live CDs” handy. If I can’t get windows to boot, I’ll slip one of those CDs in. It runs Linux without being installed it being installed on a HDD. I can’t tell you how many times that has saved my fanny. If the Live CD boots, then I know the problem is S/W and not H/W. If it’s S/W, then I’ll try and force a restore to a previous restore point.

By the way, none of my live CDs run on my new rig. But I have Express Gate which basically could serve the same purpose, probably better actually.

Ohh ok. Never knew that about the driver signing issued by MS. Is 64bit Vista worth it. I want to run 4GB Ram on this new build and was weary on which version of Vista to get.

For me it was worth it, but I can't say for you. I will likely be adding another 4 GB in six months or so. I do a lot of video editing and the more memory the better on larger projects. Personally I think 64 bit O/S will be the norm in a couple of years.

i just finished installing this sucker last night, so far the mb is great and it sure is durable i had to put almost all my bodyweight on the goddamn reaperII heatsink i got to get it to flipping mount, so it can take 220 pounds of force ^ ^

Man I hope you're kidding. These components are designed and engineered such that a 12 year old girl can put them together.

For me it was worth it, but I can't say for you. I will likely be adding another 4 GB in six months or so. I do a lot of video editing and the more memory the better on larger projects. Personally I think 64 bit O/S will be the norm in a couple of years.

Yea. I usually just do gaming. I figured i'd pop 4GB in as games will get more graphically intensive and i wanted Vista for the added DX10+ support, and i figured 4GB would be better with Vista HP as opposed to 2. I agree though, and thats probably what i'll end up buying.

Did you install all of the Asus utilities? I noticed they are 32bit apps but they seem stable.

No I only installed the Asus apps that I needed. A few of the Asus programs were garbage including pc probe and that thing used to throttle down the pc but most were good apps. Drivexpert will not work I guess until I get a 3rd HD & Xpressgate is not working for me somehow. Everytime I go to configure it after I do the timezone thing my screen goes blank. Maybe I need to wait a minute or two to see what it does.

Chalk me up as the newest member of the P5Q Club. I ordered my P5Q Pro from NewEgg last night as the heart of my rig. Should hopefully be here in the next few days. It's been a long time coming, but five years between systems is way too long. I'm coming from a P4, RDRAM, and AGP graphics cards to a C2D, DDR2, and PCI Express.

Good to be back. :)

Chalk me up as the newest member of the P5Q Club. I ordered my P5Q Pro from NewEgg last night as the heart of my rig. Should hopefully be here in the next few days. It's been a long time coming, but five years between systems is way too long. I'm coming from a P4, RDRAM, and AGP graphics cards to a C2D, DDR2, and PCI Express.

Good to be back. :)

Welcome to the club my friend.

Someone at work has an HP laptop (maybe from Best Buy?) that he bought with Vista x64.

Just finished putting together my new Media server build using a P5Q-E.

Server 2008 x64 installed and config'd without a hich.
Before installing I set the SATA mode to Raid in the P5Q bios (which includes AHCI).

I haven't used the Asus disc/drivers for anything. I downloaded the lastest Intel Matrix ICH10R drivers and ICH10R chipset drivers for W2k8 x64 directly from the intel site and W28 detected and installed it's drivers for everything else including both Marvell Lan ports.

I tested AHCI and can yank out drives at will (hot swap) so far so good. Nice board.

I'll detail the components when I have time.

Can someone please post an image of the logo screen? I think this will determine if a buy this mobo or an equivalent Gigabyte model.

Can someone please post an image of the logo screen? I think this will determine if a buy this mobo or an equivalent Gigabyte model.

LOL

You know with these MBs you can make your own customized logo screen. Pretty KEWL.

Anyone running one of these with either a 150GB Raptor or the new Velociraptor and if so which flavor of the P5Q do you have? I love the raptor line so the incompatibility rumors are a bit worrisome.

P5Q-E (flashed to latest bios 0803) SATA set to RAID (incl AHCI)
8GB Corsair 4 x 2GB
Intel X3350 quad
Windows 2008 server x64
OS Drive: WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200rpm

All playing nicely.

Also wanted to confirm that my Areca 1261ML raid card is working fine in the 2nd PCIe x16 slot at 8x.

Pretty impressed with this board so far.

Now off to decide on which 1TB drives to pick up for the R5 media array.

Anyone running one of these with either a 150GB Raptor or the new Velociraptor and if so which flavor of the P5Q do you have? I love the raptor line so the incompatibility rumors are a bit worrisome.

What make you think there's a compatibility issue? Could you please point us to some data on this. I recall aamsel mentioned an issue, but later claims that was a mistake, there was no issue.

What make you think there's a compatibility issue? Could you please point us to some data on this. I recall aamsel mentioned an issue, but later claims that was a mistake, there was no issue.

The incompatibility was mentioned in the P5Q3 Deluxe review and didn't see that it had been found to be a specific board revision/model or BIOS version that was causing the issue. That is the DDR3 version but I'm better the SATA implementation is similar if not a direct copy of the DDR2 boards.

The incompatibility was mentioned in the P5Q3 Deluxe review and didn't see that it had been found to be a specific board revision/model or BIOS version that was causing the issue. That is the DDR3 version but I'm better the SATA implementation is similar if not a direct copy of the DDR2 boards.

Good find. So I did some sniffing around. Hot Hardware reviewed the P5Q Deluxe on May 20th, prior to the [H] Enthusiast review, and they didn't report any issues with the 150GB Raptor, which they were using in their test. http://hothardware.com/Articles/Asus_P5Q_Deluxe__P45_Chipset_with_DDR2/?page=3

That would tend to indicate there's no fundamental capatability issue with the P45 or ICH10 chipset. I'm thinking [H] Enthusiast perhaps had a bad MB or old drivers, BIOS, etc. Also, I found numerous DFI P45 rigs running the Raptor with no reported issues.

I'm running a P5Q-E with a Raptor 150 with no problem whatsoever. If there was poor compatibility in an earlier BIOS or earlier P45/ICH10 drivers it's fixed now.

I can confirm there are no incompatibilities with the VelociRaptor and the P5Q-E.

On a related subject, is anyone having power problems with the P5Q-E? I'm having two of them, one USB and one with the Intel SATA.

The USB problem occurred when I plugged a wall-powered hub into one of the plugs in the rear connection cluster. The other five USB plugs were in use and working fine, but when I plugged the hub into the sixth one, the hub wasn't recognized. But when I instead plugged the hub into one of the USB plugs on the MB for the external bracket, it worked fine.

The SATA problem is this: I have 3 internal HDs, 2 CD/DVD drives, and 2 external HDs (these are for backups and have their own power supply). SATA is configured as AHCI. The two external HDs connect with a heavy duty 5-foot SATA cable (basically an external SATA cable with internal SATA connectors). When an external HD is connected to the Marvell SATA port, the drive works fine; but a HD connected to one of the Intel internal SATA ports with a 5-foot cable causes the system to freeze (bootup freezes if the drive is powered on, system won't shut down until drive is powered off, windows explorer or any other program becomes nonresponsive until drive is powered off). HDs all work fine when connected using regular 1-foot SATA cable in the Intel SATA ports.

My previous MB, a P5B-Deluxe, worked fine with these 5-foot SATA cables connected to the internal SATA ports. (MB upgrades on Vista are no fun...)

I suspect this is a MB power problem because the devices (USB hub and two HDs) had external power supplies so were placing a minimal power load on the system (system power supply running at less than half its rating).

This could be a problem with the MB power supply (voltages look fine though), or maybe the BIOS needs to be tweaked to provide more power (current) to the USB and Intel SATA ports.

I'm not doing any overclocking, everything right now is factory default and I'm using the current BIOS (0803 or 0901).

I have a service request in with Asus and they are supposedly doing more testing, but I wanted to find out if anyone else has come across a similar problem. If the MB is bad, I'll just RMA it back to Newegg and get a replacement.

I can confirm there are no incompatibilities with the VelociRaptor and the P5Q-E.

On a related subject, is anyone having power problems with the P5Q-E? I'm having two of them, one USB and one with the Intel SATA.

The USB problem occurred when I plugged a wall-powered hub into one of the plugs in the rear connection cluster. The other five USB plugs were in use and working fine, but when I plugged the hub into the sixth one, the hub wasn't recognized. But when I instead plugged the hub into one of the USB plugs on the MB for the external bracket, it worked fine.

The SATA problem is this: I have 3 internal HDs, 2 CD/DVD drives, and 2 external HDs (these are for backups and have their own power supply). SATA is configured as AHCI. The two external HDs connect with a heavy duty 5-foot SATA cable (basically an external SATA cable with internal SATA connectors). When an external HD is connected to the Marvell SATA port, the drive works fine; but a HD connected to one of the Intel internal SATA ports with a 5-foot cable causes the system to freeze (bootup freezes if the drive is powered on, system won't shut down until drive is powered off, windows explorer or any other program becomes nonresponsive until drive is powered off). HDs all work fine when connected using regular 1-foot SATA cable in the Intel SATA ports.

My previous MB, a P5B-Deluxe, worked fine with these 5-foot SATA cables connected to the internal SATA ports. (MB upgrades on Vista are no fun...)

I suspect this is a MB power problem because the devices (USB hub and two HDs) had external power supplies so were placing a minimal power load on the system (system power supply running at less than half its rating).

This could be a problem with the MB power supply (voltages look fine though), or maybe the BIOS needs to be tweaked to provide more power (current) to the USB and Intel SATA ports.

I'm not doing any overclocking, everything right now is factory default and I'm using the current BIOS (0803 or 0901).

I have a service request in with Asus and they are supposedly doing more testing, but I wanted to find out if anyone else has come across a similar problem. If the MB is bad, I'll just RMA it back to Newegg and get a replacement.

I have had USB keyboards lockup while in CMOS on the Dlx. I had to unplug the keyboard and plug it back in, which fixed the issue every time.

Thx for confirming the VelociRaptor. I am going to put my order in for a Pro board once the 4870x2 is released.

Greetings, i'm a new owner of a P5Q Deluxe, a few questions for you 1 - i'm using two seagate 80gb connected to sata 1 and 2 and a dvd drive connected to sata 3, i'm using them configured as ide, a while ago i tried to change from ide to ahci, no problem then but when i restarted the computer i wasn´t able to load the operating system cause computer restarted again, so i had to go the bios again and change to ide again, any help? 2 - How can i create a usb disk to create a raid array? I just tried with the board cd driver but didn´t alow to use the usb disk, don't know why, and i don't have a floppy drive. 3 - Is it possible to boot my pc with the operating system using the DriveXpert and superspeed feature? By the way i'm using vista home premum, cheers.

My understanding is once you install on a HD with Bios set to IDE you are stuck. A reformat with the bios set to ahci (2.0) was recommended to me before.

Second: 80gb HDD's? What is this 2002?

I do believe there's a few ways to convert a drive over to AHCI once you've installed the OS to it under IDE emulation (from the sounds of it, sometimes it's easier, sometimes it's not, involves some registry tweaks, etc.)... Generally it's easier to just do AHCI or RAID from the start though. You can definitely hose your install trying to change it to AHCI. Do a search on the boards on the topic, there's tons of info on it.

Here's another drive question. I've been using an Asus P5K up to now, and when I installed that guy I had to install some drivers for my SATA drive (during XP's "press f6 to install RAID drivers") so it would be recognized during the XP install, even though it wasn't going to be used in RAID mode.

Anyone know if I will still have to load some drivers before install with the new P5Q's, or can they recognize my SATA drive right off the bat and won't cause any problems during the XP install? Not a huge issue, but I only have one computer at my fingertips, and if I need to make an HDD drivers bootdisk for this board I want to do it before I start tearing things apart.

If you're still installing XP I do believe you'll need to make a floppy w/the SATA/RAID drivers... And only a floppy will work, no USB/CD alternative. If you were installing Vista there's no need AFAIK.

Hey all you P5Q owners, I have some questions

I've read through most of this thread and from the looks of it, the P5Q-E is definitely an awesome board. I currently have a P35-DS3P that I want to upgrade (my dad is going to take my current board for his Q9450) and the P5Q-E seemed to be very attractive. However, I am currently running at 3.6ghz (400x9) on my board - could I expect a similar overclock from the P5Q-E?

Thanks!

I would think that hitting a 400MHz FSB is within reason for any decent P35/P45 board... It comes down to memory choices/compatibility, your own tweaking, luck, and temps than anything else.

I think I'm experiencing vdroop on my P5Q-E. I just installed it with a brand new Q6600 (rev G0, steppig B), coretemp reports VID = 1.3000v. I set vcore to 1.3v but CPU-Z reports 1.272v -- that's a pretty significant droop isn't it?

I am also another user of a VelociRaptor in an Asus P5Q-E. No problems so far. System is Vista 32 Ultimate.

Just got my P5Q Pro up and running and so far I'm really happy with it. Paired it up with an E8400 and 4Gb of Crucial Ballistix, and OC'd it to 4GHz with the FSB @ 444 Mhz with relative ease. This is my first ASUS board, so the BIOS is a little awkward for me, but overall it's been great so far. Went ahead and installed Vista ultimate 64bit so I could use all the memory, and suprisingly, I'm really liking Vista so far. Now I just need a couple 4850's in CF and I'll be set.

Oh, but I am getting some VDroop. It's set at 1.225 in the BIOS and I'm getting 1.208 according to CPU-Z. Not really a big deal, but worth mentioning.

P5Q-E

Forgive the question but does the P5Q-E fully support crossfire with both cards at 16X or is one card much lower?

P5Q-E

Forgive the question but does the P5Q-E fully support crossfire with both cards at 16X or is one card much lower?

CF for all P45 boards are 8x each, 16x with one. To get full support a X38 or X48 board is needed.

CF for all P45 boards are 8x each, 16x with one. To get full support a X38 or X48 board is needed.

Thanks!

Is a single one of the new 4870X2 considered a CF for purposes you describe above? Would a single card be at 16X or does, somehow, having two chips on it mean it has to split into 8X?

Back