The Official - Who's buying the i7 2600K Thread!

I'm looking to go from 4 to 6-8 cores, so I'll probably not own a 2600K.

BTW, what ram are you guys thinking of getting with this?
DDR 3 1600, 2000 or 2400?

I was thinking that this is a good time to get 2x4GB modules, but that limits you to DDR3 2000.

Given that there seems to be limited ability to overclock the FSB (although time will tell, I guess) I don't know if there is as much of a case for high speed memory. I plan on getting some quality DDR3-1600 and calling it a day.

Given that there seems to be limited ability to overclock the FSB (although time will tell, I guess) I don't know if there is as much of a case for high speed memory. I plan on getting some quality DDR3-1600 and calling it a day.

If you're overclocking, you'll need some fast ram to feed the beast

For those of you that don't know, from my research the last few days, the SB i7 2600k running at 5ghz is beating the old i7 by a wide margin in benchmarks. Check out XtremeSystems Forums. Several benchs against 4.0 and 4.2Ghz neh's

Seriously, seeing 5ghz is cause to jizz / upgrade alone.

I intend on upgrading my q6600 to the i7-2600k. I can't freakin wait. The upgrade bug has been bugging me ever since microcenter had the i7 930 for 200 dollars. It's finallytime to blow my nerd load :)
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I too will be upgrading from q6600 and can't wait! Just wondering what you guys think of 2600k vs 2500k? If the 2500k is a lot cheaper I might be looking at that. And basically everyone here is looking at the K chips because of the unlocked multiplier, correct?

I intend on upgrading my q6600 to the i7-2600k. I can't freakin wait. The upgrade bug has been bugging me ever since microcenter had the i7 930 for 200 dollars. It's finallytime to blow my nerd load :)
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Same here...still contemplating getting an i7 950 once Sandy Bridge comes out, depending on what the prices do. I'm really excited by the Sandy Bridge numbers I've seen.

My problem, is while I like to think of myself as an "enthusiast", I think I tend to fall more towards the middle...mostly due to a few things: 1) With 2 kids 3 y/o and younger, I don't have as much time and/or money 2) The "enthusiast" level is out of my price range when I do upgrade...I am to the point where I can just now afford an i7 9xx chip with 1366 X58 mobo...even then I am looking at the FS/FT forums here...hard to justify to the wife that it is $500-$700 just for the cpu, mobo and ram. Close to $1000 if I throw a new video card in the mix. Not that I can't convince her it needs to be done...but needs to be done every year I cannot. That's why I'm still running my Q6600. Sandy Bridge would be a huge upgrade, without the huge cost that Ivy Bridge is going to bring in Q4 of 2011.

I don't fold, even though I should and want to, because of the expense of running my system all day.

Last edited:
I too will be upgrading from q6600 and can't wait! Just wondering what you guys think of 2600k vs 2500k? If the 2500k is a lot cheaper I might be looking at that. And basically everyone here is looking at the K chips because of the unlocked multiplier, correct?

I'm getting the 2600K for the extra cache and HT. I do a lot of programming, so the virtual cores may end up being worth it. For games, I doubt we'll see much of a difference between the two.

I've been out of the loop for a while.

Faster encode times would be great. I don't know if they're going to support 1156 with this, but if they do I will probably get one. If not, I'll be waiting.

I'm waiting on it. Already have all the money set aside to buy the upgrades listed in my sig. Can't wait for January.

I've been out of the loop for a while.

Faster encode times would be great. I don't know if they're going to support 1156 with this, but if they do I will probably get one. If not, I'll be waiting.

1155 / 1156 are incompatible

One of my rigs is gonna get gutted so I can rebuild a system for my gf's Christmas present....so I'll be building 2600K system to replace it. :D

its going from triple channel to duel channel.

must not need that much memory bandwidth.

It's dual, not duel. Are you on some kind of a mission to crap on SB in every thread you can find? You're not going to buy one, we get it.

I'm going with 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 as well. Increased ram speed or decreased latency only pad memory benchmarks and have very little impact on games.

ill wait till 2nd half of 11 for when the real enthusiast chips come out now the low end e-machine chips.

maybe you should go on vacation till them cause I sense that you will be really sour seeing overclocked SB beating your cpu in some benchmarks.

Your whole attitude shows this.

maybe you should go on vacation till them cause I sense that you will be really sour seeing overclocked SB beating your cpu in some benchmarks.

Your whole attitude shows this.

Not really. purpose of my 980x is to fold. and i doubt any sandy bridge cpu is going to compete with it.

and we all know benchmarks mean nothing.

Last edited:
To me, the joy is in building a dirt cheap system, overclocking it like mad, and seeing how many super pricey rigs it can outperform.

Not that I have the budget to enjoy anything else ;)

Here, Here... This should be the true meaning of Enthusiast. Those $1000 cpu, $400 mainboard, and $500 single graphics cards are "luxury".

I really wish people would hit up some of the links I provided ( maybe you have? ) and read up on what's going on, benchmarks, etc.

This cpu, even with dual channel memory and at 5ghz on air ( it's a 32 micro process cpu ) is beating those $1,000 dollar 6 core cpu's that are even clocked up at 4.5+Ghz and higher. And btw, when the high-end SB cpu's do finally come out, they are coming out with "quad" memory channels.

This is a very strong upgrade from AMD dual / quad and hex users and if you're come from a 6600.

I'm getting the 2600K for the extra cache and HT. I do a lot of programming, so the virtual cores may end up being worth it. For games, I doubt we'll see much of a difference between the two.

I don't do any gaming anymore on my PC, just video/audio encoding. So I'm wondering if the 2500k would be a better fit for me, so long as it's significantly cheaper than then2600k and can oc well

I really wish people would hit up some of the links I provided ( maybe you have? ) and read up on what's going on, benchmarks, etc.

This cpu, even with dual channel memory and at 5ghz on air ( it's a 32 micro process cpu ) is beating those $1,000 dollar 6 core cpu's that are even clocked up at 4.5+Ghz and higher. And btw, when the high-end SB cpu's do finally come out, they are coming out with "quad" memory channels.

This is a very strong upgrade from AMD dual / quad and hex users and if you're come from a 6600.

SB isnt getting quad channel thats ivy bridge and socket 2011

i haven't seen any benchmarks of a SB beating a hexacore when ALL cores/threads are involved.

i would love to see one if anyone has a link.

me me! can't wait for 2600K.

Jumping from E6600 + 8800GTS to 2600K + GTX 580 + c300 256GB SSD.

I'm dying to replace my E6600 too. I wish we knew more about Bulldozer though, since it's coming out so soon after SB. But I guess the fact that AMD is being so quiet can't bode well for its performance.

Whatever K series chip Microcenter sells for $200 I'm purchasing.

I don't think they will do that initially (because of lack of supply etc..) maybe a few months down the line...

when they had the i7-920 for $199, almost everyone got it (except for me :D)

Once I get out of my holiday debt, I may spring for a second GTX580 and a sandy bridge.

It all depends on how well the final hardware revisions benchmark compared to current higher end Core i7-9xx CPU's...

It will just be a little faster.

There is nothing that a Q9550 can do in games that the i7 920 can, its just faster...

Sort of. Where multi-GPU scaling is concerned, Core i7 floors the Core 2 series. There is no contest. That's the sole reason I "upgraded" to Core i7 from my Skulltrail setup.

I am dreading the SB release.

One thing is to be 1 generation behind. But 2? Makes me really sad :(

Any total system $ estimates for cheapest overclockable SB quad plus mobo and 4GB ram?

Wait, SB is dual channel? Is that why triple channel has been going dirt cheap lately? HURRAY FOR ME!

So what's the future hold for triple channel RAM?

Also I won't be going for SB, my current system is more than capable of handling anything I throw at it. I think I can get a good 3+ years out of it before I upgrade any of the major components.

Sort of. Where multi-GPU scaling is concerned, Core i7 floors the Core 2 series. There is no contest. That's the sole reason I "upgraded" to Core i7 from my Skulltrail setup.

Core optimizations are a big deal here.

At the same clock a Bloomfield core is ~15 to 20% faster than a Yorkfield core and 25 to 30% faster than a Kentsfield core...

In other words, to match a stock Core i7-920 you'd need to run a Yorkfield C2Q at 3.2 Ghz and a Kentsfield C2Q at 3.5Ghz...

Then add in better multi-threading, faster memory bus etc. etc. on top of that, and its not difficult to see why Core i7's are beating older CPU's.

In fact, I wouldn't even bother going even with a single GTX480 or GTX580 unless you have at least a Core i7...

I'm probably going to upgrade, but I've got my eyes on the 2500K. I really have no use for hyperthreading, as the biggest load on my system is gaming. The 2500K offers a massive boost in performance (clock plus IPC) over the Core i5 760 while still hitting the same power and price brackets.

My Core 2 Duo at 3.2 GHz has severed me well, but it's due for a replacement.

Yup, even in gaming it's providing nice boosts. I'm probably going to go for a 2600K from my i7 920 @ 3.72ghz.

Back