The only question I have about the 150 GB VelociRaptor is...

Burke

Limp Gawd
Is there an audible "whine" to it? Disk access noises I don't care about, but a "whistling" or "whine" from the drive would drive me nuts.

LOL, I come from the days of the 1st-gen Raptors and they were really noisy when doing access. The funny thing is, that is precisely what turned a lot of people on, that "power" ripping sound, like an airplane landing with no gears... or like a mustang. Ohhhhh yeah... :D

To answer your question: I DON'T KNOW. But I am also certain that as long as they do what they are supposed to do (10KRPMS and <4ms seeks) I wouldn't care a bit. I love displays of power.

LOL, I come from the days of the 1st-gen Raptors and they were really noisy when doing access. The funny thing is, that is precisely what turned a lot of people on, that "power" ripping sound, like an airplane landing with no gears... or like a mustang. Ohhhhh yeah... :D

To answer your question: I DON'T KNOW. But I am also certain that as long as they do what they are supposed to do (10KRPMS and <4ms seeks) I wouldn't care a bit. I love displays of power.

I actually wear my girth size on my t-shirt, it displays power. :D

Mine is the quietest hard drive i have ever had. Thats coming from old 5400 rpm's and a 36 raptor and 74 raptor. I would recommend it and I don't hear any whine.

There's no whine with a VR. I know what you're talking about and they don't do it.
Very quiet drives considering the perf. I've owned 7 different VRs and all were quiet.

Yeah they're fine, especially if they're in a decent case.

I have two 300's without the icepack and I cant hear them.

I was surprised how quiet my VRaptor is. Had the first Raptors out and this one seems to be the best

I have 8 Raptors and it is like getting kicked in the face. The sound of power is awesome.

And yea, the new VRs are silent pretty much, no whine like a lot of SCSI drives.

I've had a 300GB Velociraptor since May and it's silent. I bought another this week to set up a RAID 0 and it had an extreme high pitched whine that about drove my whole family out of the house. I am 40 years old and usually don't hear stuff that high but it was brutal. The drive seemed to run just fine and all the diagnostics said it was fine. I took it back because of the whine.

After research on the internet, it appears that some of the Velociraptors have this issue. I think it's the rare exception rather that the rule.

I've decided to wait another few months and jump on the SSD bandwagon. However, I do love my good Velociraptor.

Back