The P180 - not quite living up to the hype?

Sir-Fragalot said:
I've built a couple machines in the Antec P180. The interior quality of the unit is second to none as usual for Antec. The exterior quality actually varies quite a bit from case to case. On top of that, the door feels cheap and flimsy, and doesn't always close all the way or lay back against the side of the case right.

Interior wise I have some issues with the case as well. The main thing is that black fan holder thing with the rails on it, is about the most useless and in the way pile of junk around. The case is way to hard to work in and fan placement near the PSU bay seems pretty retarded to me unless you have a passively cooled PSU.

Finally, the vent shroud on the back of the P180 has to go. The Antec P160 was ugly, but I think it was a better overall case than the P180.
I have had no problems with the case at all. to remedy your problems with the case:
remove the side fan shroud
don't use the spoiler
the p180 was made for silence, and when you're got a silent psu its usually got only a fan in the back/bottom so that helps get more air across the psu

~GoaT~ said:
I have had no problems with the case at all. to remedy your problems with the case:
remove the side fan shroud
don't use the spoiler
the p180 was made for silence, and when you're got a silent psu its usually got only a fan in the back/bottom so that helps get more air across the psu

You pull the "spoiler" and it still looks like shit. The interior shroud, I could deal with. Silent PC's aren't my thing anyway. I was mearly commenting on my experiences and dislikes with the case. To put it bluntly, I am dissapointed in Antec because of the P180. They could have done A LOT better with the design. That's just my $.02.

Even if there are some design problems, their customer service is second to none, PERIOD.

I had problems with my two side panels AND the front door assembly, so I filled out the form on Antec's site and received a response about two hours later. Two hours...usually I have to wait a certain number of business days to get a response and they addressed the situation in about two hours. To top it all off, they're sending me free replacement parts at absolutely no charge...now THAT'S what I call service.

As an odd side note...you know, I just bought the P180 initially because I thought it would have great cooling. I thought the whole "quiet" thing wouldn't really matter much to me, but now that I've had a chance to experience it I can say that I'm definitely turning into a silent PC kind of guy. :D

lian li v1100b case closed. Save your money and buy the best first, or wait it out.

Shorehn said:
Even if there are some design problems, their customer service is second to none, PERIOD.

I had problems with my two side panels AND the front door assembly, so I filled out the form on Antec's site and received a response about two hours later. Two hours...usually I have to wait a certain number of business days to get a response and they addressed the situation in about two hours. To top it all off, they're sending me free replacement parts at absolutely no charge...now THAT'S what I call service.

As an odd side note...you know, I just bought the P180 initially because I thought it would have great cooling. I thought the whole "quiet" thing wouldn't really matter much to me, but now that I've had a chance to experience it I can say that I'm definitely turning into a silent PC kind of guy. :D

im thinking about doing that also. what was wrong with ur side panels and door? can they fix the not closing all the way door thingy =P

and would they replace my side panels if theres a dent in it and some of the hinges are snaped?

I think that many people mistake the target audience for this case. The P180 is a wonderful case if you are building a "normal" computer. Its aimed for people who build their computer once every 3+ years and don't constantly update, mod, tinker with the insides of the computer. In said light, you really don't care about cable routing as the case does not have a window and you usually keep the panels closed. The cooling aspect I believe is very good and I can't see why people have an issue with it - you have a 120mm to cool your hdd's & PSU at the same time, plus intake and two exhaust for the upper chamber - that is more than enough cooling for most folks. If you really want to improve the cooling, replace the 120mm antec fans with Delta TFB1212 fans and I am sure your cooling will be next to none, and hopefully the damping features of the case will keep the noise level acceptable. :D

Well, my left side panel doesn't seem to close all the way when you put it back on the case. If you tap it, instead of the dull "thud", it rattles around a little bit. The glue holding the three layers together is starting to come apart on the right side panel, and my front door bulges out to such a degree that the plastic hinge assembly itself is starting to curve. Even with those issues, I've still been very impressed with the internal layout of the P180. Unlike most, I don't really think the cable routing is that much of a problem and I might go so far as to say that I actually prefer having it over the setup in a standard case. Strange, I know, but true :cool:

If your P180 came with the dent and busted hinges, I'm sure Antec would be happy to replace them for you. Shipping a case like that does all sorts of crazy things if the shipper isn't careful. When my P180 was delivered, a huge chunk of the cardboard packaging was gouged in for some reason - but thankfully, the case itself wasn't damaged thanks to all the foam Antec used to package the P180.

pawstar said:
I think that many people mistake the target audience for this case. The P180 is a wonderful case if you are building a "normal" computer. Its aimed for people who build their computer once every 3+ years and don't constantly update, mod, tinker with the insides of the computer. In said light, you really don't care about cable routing as the case does not have a window and you usually keep the panels closed. The cooling aspect I believe is very good and I can't see why people have an issue with it - you have a 120mm to cool your hdd's & PSU at the same time, plus intake and two exhaust for the upper chamber - that is more than enough cooling for most folks. If you really want to improve the cooling, replace the 120mm antec fans with Delta TFB1212 fans and I am sure your cooling will be next to none, and hopefully the damping features of the case will keep the noise level acceptable. :D

Again, I do not agree. The silent aspect of it will be compelling for some. The case has a cheap exterior and is hard to work in. To me this is not a good case overall. While there are alot of things I do like about it, I wouldn't recommend the P180 to anyone.

Sir-Fragalot said:
Again, I do not agree. The silent aspect of it will be compelling for some. The case has a cheap exterior and is hard to work in. To me this is not a good case overall. While there are alot of things I do like about it, I wouldn't recommend the P180 to anyone.

Want some cheese with that whine? :rolleyes:

If you don't like it, fine, but don't go on a crusade telling people Anti-P180 garbage, cause your opinion of the case only matters to you for the most part, the rest of us love the case

IceWind said:

If you don't like it, fine, but don't go on a crusade telling people Anti-P180 garbage, cause your opinion of the case only matters to you for the most part, the rest of us love the case

Don't be a dick. That's the first thing.

Secondly, opinions on the P180 is EXACTLY what this thread is about. Do I need to go back and quote the thread title again? It would seem that you missed that.

You can love the case all you want. The original poster had issues with the P180 and didn't think it lived up to expectations, and then opened a thread to discuss them. That will include opinions from BOTH sides of a particular issue. Those who don't like it and those who do. If you don't like my post that's fine, but don't start flaming people simply because you disagree with them.

IceWind said:

So let's ignore the fact that Antec's track record is rapidly turning into "trash, trash, trash."
I used to use Sonatas. I don't anymore. Why? Let's see, the feet fall off when you take it out of the box, strike one. Then the door warps and doesn't shut clean after about half a day. The chrome port cover corrodes within two months. It's loud as hell despite their silent claims. Those vents at the top of the panels do nothing; I have NEVER seen the included PSU below 55C. (When they are known to rate at 25C, and figure typical derating 10W per 1C past 40C, that means the 380 is really a 230.) Throw in a GOOD PSU and you MIGHT get down to 50C if you're lucky. The paint quality is never even across the whole case. The front panel I/O is poorly built and after about a year requires a delicate touch to not break in half.

Only a fool would expect the P180 to be any better. Antec build quality jumped off a cliff about the time of the LANboy and nobody's brought a rope. I've gone back to Inwins for vanilla builds.

AreEss said:
So let's ignore the fact that Antec's track record is rapidly turning into "trash, trash, trash."
I used to use Sonatas. I don't anymore. Why? Let's see, the feet fall off when you take it out of the box, strike one. Then the door warps and doesn't shut clean after about half a day. The chrome port cover corrodes within two months. It's loud as hell despite their silent claims. Those vents at the top of the panels do nothing; I have NEVER seen the included PSU below 55C. (When they are known to rate at 25C, and figure typical derating 10W per 1C past 40C, that means the 380 is really a 230.) Throw in a GOOD PSU and you MIGHT get down to 50C if you're lucky. The paint quality is never even across the whole case. The front panel I/O is poorly built and after about a year requires a delicate touch to not break in half.

Only a fool would expect the P180 to be any better. Antec build quality jumped off a cliff about the time of the LANboy and nobody's brought a rope. I've gone back to Inwins for vanilla builds.

I've also heard bad things about the Antec Titan E-ATX case. I agree with your assessment. Antec isn't the company it used to be. Or at the very least, they aren't putting out the quality components like they used to.

I find the P180 to be a good solution when it comes to thermal management. You can theoretically use a schythe fanless cooler with it due to the unique positioning of the 120mm fans in the top and back of the chassis. There's plenty of room for expansion.

Construction wise I totally agree that the front end needs some loving. While it seems to me that the door hinges are fairly tough, the system I have in for eval shows the door to bow out a bit, and the locking mechanism is a joke, it could be torn apart very easily.

As for cramped, I can see that with a water cooling setup, but cramped doesn't mean bad to me. I'd rather have cramped than unused space. I dunno, maybe I'm used to slim uBTX chassis...you don't know what cramped means!

Sir-Fragalot said:
Don't be a dick. That's the first thing.

Secondly, opinions on the P180 is EXACTLY what this thread is about. Do I need to go back and quote the thread title again? It would seem that you missed that.

You can love the case all you want. The original poster had issues with the P180 and didn't think it lived up to expectations, and then opened a thread to discuss them. That will include opinions from BOTH sides of a particular issue. Those who don't like it and those who do. If you don't like my post that's fine, but don't start flaming people simply because you disagree with them.

I might add that that original poster has since purchased a P180 and is happy with it even despite a few QC issues... :p

Shorehn said:
I might add that that original poster has since purchased a P180 and is happy with it even despite a few QC issues... :p

As long as the buyer is happy with the purchase, that is all that really matters. Personally, with a few minor changes to the design, I think it would be just about the perfect case.

Perhaps when Antec revises it in a year or two, they'll cover my concerns.

Shorehn said:
Well, my left side panel doesn't seem to close all the way when you put it back on the case. If you tap it, instead of the dull "thud", it rattles around a little bit. The glue holding the three layers together is starting to come apart on the right side panel, and my front door bulges out to such a degree that the plastic hinge assembly itself is starting to curve. Even with those issues, I've still been very impressed with the internal layout of the P180. Unlike most, I don't really think the cable routing is that much of a problem and I might go so far as to say that I actually prefer having it over the setup in a standard case. Strange, I know, but true :cool:

If your P180 came with the dent and busted hinges, I'm sure Antec would be happy to replace them for you. Shipping a case like that does all sorts of crazy things if the shipper isn't careful. When my P180 was delivered, a huge chunk of the cardboard packaging was gouged in for some reason - but thankfully, the case itself wasn't damaged thanks to all the foam Antec used to package the P180.

yea that dent was originally a shipping problem but for a tiny dent, i really didnt want to spend 20 bucks sending it to monarch. Ill fill out the RMA form witn antec now. Thx!

Hope no one minds if I jump in this late in the game.

I was orginally signed up to purchase one of the first batch of SPCR ed. p180 months ago. Before I pulled the trigger Fry's got 3-4 and was able to check the product out before I purchased. I had been paying close attention to all of the reviews of this case and kept in mind my budget and what I wanted out of my next gaming box. The best thing I took from SPCR is that you don't need a silent case if the sum of your parts are silent, or near silent. I did not end up buying the p180 for a few reasons; front door doesnt close right, way to cramped, I planned to run a seasonic and didnt feel the need to buy extension, its a large case, and it was just to heavy.

I ended up buying a Super LanBoy. Lets be honest, the LB is a failry ricer case, however it turned out to be rather quite. My loudest component, by about 10 fold, is my 7800gt. I had no clue how loud the fan is on that card. Everything else on my rig is pretty stealth, I even pulled the HD cages out and [H]ard mounted my baracuda IV. I can't hear the HD at all. In the end it didn't make sense for me to spend 120+ for a case that would provid neligible increase in performance.

Although the SPCR ed. is a dam good looking case!

To the original poster:

stop being so freaking paranoid about cooling. Systems can run above 60ºC and run for years.. systems in dust run continuously for years. Video cards can for the most part run at adequate temperatures without the use of a fan.

I mean sure, everyone would love to have everything running at <30ºC, but the world's not going to come to an end, rather your computer's not going to stop functioning, if it's running 50+ºC

Sure, if you want to explain to others' that the P180 "may not be as good at cooling as..." that's fine, everyone likes suggestions.. but you're acting like your computer is going to have a meltdown if it runs a couple of degrees hotter... lol.

I like my SPCR P180, but don't love it. Good design, and airflow can be efficient at low noise levels, but QC in the manufacturing process needs to get better. My side panel started coming unglued in the lower front as well. A new one was sent to me immediately, but it was unglued on three of the sides! I ended up using a dab of crazy glue and that easily solved the problem. The stupid panel is only spot glued to begin with, instead of all along the sides.

It is a very heavy case when loaded. That in itself would not be a problem if it had wheels on the bottom. Also, since it sits so low to the floor it is difficult to get fingers under it to lift it. I just pasted some glider pads to the bottom and now it slides around easy, as well as finger accessible for lifting.

If people want to complain about antec 'quality', they should be talking about the power supplies, not the cases, imho.

160, 180, 150, all nice cases, with differing target audiences.

If you can't get your side panel on all the way, you screwed up, deal with it. Could it be easier to get the side panels on? I suppose so, but would it be able to maintain the seal they do while making the panel-frame interface easier?

frags doesn't like the p180, I think we're all aware of that by now. Blowing every little issue you have with it out of proportion doesn't do anybody any good, though, lol.

I put mine together, set it on the end of my desk, and have only opened it twice since to swap audio cards and memory on separate occassions. Mine isn't that quiet, since it is loaded, but would probably be even noisier in a case less focused on silent operation. Nothing wrong with my side panels. The front door bows, of course. The colder it is, the more it bows, lol. Doesn't bother me. It isn't noticeable normally, and is irelevant when the door is open and folded back.

The way my desk sits, I can't even see the spoiler when it is on top of the desk, or when it is under the desk. Complaining about the spoiler is merely a subjective matter of personal taste. You like it, or you don't.

I am dreading the impending failure of the my chipset fan, though, working in the case is nooo fun. :)

How many HD's can you fit in the lower cage?

I have 6 SATA drives to find a home for, I've been considering this case and the lian li PC-75.

eastvillager said:
If people want to complain about antec 'quality', they should be talking about the power supplies, not the cases, imho.

160, 180, 150, all nice cases, with differing target audiences.

If you can't get your side panel on all the way, you screwed up, deal with it. Could it be easier to get the side panels on? I suppose so, but would it be able to maintain the seal they do while making the panel-frame interface easier?

frags doesn't like the p180, I think we're all aware of that by now. Blowing every little issue you have with it out of proportion doesn't do anybody any good, though, lol.

I put mine together, set it on the end of my desk, and have only opened it twice since to swap audio cards and memory on separate occassions. Mine isn't that quiet, since it is loaded, but would probably be even noisier in a case less focused on silent operation. Nothing wrong with my side panels. The front door bows, of course. The colder it is, the more it bows, lol. Doesn't bother me. It isn't noticeable normally, and is irelevant when the door is open and folded back.

The way my desk sits, I can't even see the spoiler when it is on top of the desk, or when it is under the desk. Complaining about the spoiler is merely a subjective matter of personal taste. You like it, or you don't.

I am dreading the impending failure of the my chipset fan, though, working in the case is nooo fun. :)

No, the case quality is in question. The power supplies are another topic, but on that note they've taken a dive lately as well.

The P180 has some noticable flaws, the older SX, Series, Performance AMG cases, Lanboy and others had pretty good quality.(Exluding the P160's cheesy bezel) I've heard alot of complaints about the P180, the Titan and even now, the 150.

-_-

For the benefit of certain individuals who have apparently not read through this entire thread, I would like to state once again that I HAVE BOUGHT A P180. I am SATISFIED with it, even though there are some quality control issues, because Antec's customer support is outstanding.

Eastvillager, believe it or not it's not my fault if the panel hasn't gone on the right way since day one. Did I manufacture the case? No, I didn't. I'm not sure what kind of logic (or lack thereof) to reach your conclusion, but you're sorely mistaken if you think that a manufacturing defect is somehow the fault of the end user that purchases the product.

Ohsho, believe it or not I have quite a legitimate reason to be concerned about a "few extra degrees". You probably would have picked up on that had you bothered to actually read and understand what I said in original post (which I have since edited since my P180 issues have been resolved). It's absolutely roasting in my room at home, and those "few extra degrees" my system had to put up with because I was using a crappy Foxconn case were responsible for the untimely demise of my system. Given that my last motherboard did indeed get fried from the heat, screwing up my entire system, you would think that would be a precursor to taking extra steps to ensure that the same thing wouldn't happen again. Why is it so hard to understand? I don't want to be shelling out money for extra parts all the time, that's all.

I have no idea what this hostility towards me is all about. If you disagree with me, then fine, disagree. There's no need to get volatile about what I said.

Shorehn said:
-_-

For the benefit of certain individuals who have apparently not read through this entire thread, I would like to state once again that I HAVE BOUGHT A P180. I am SATISFIED with it, even though there are some quality control issues, because Antec's customer support is outstanding.

Eastvillager, believe it or not it's not my fault if the panel hasn't gone on the right way since day one. Did I manufacture the case? No, I didn't. I'm not sure what kind of logic (or lack thereof) to reach your conclusion, but you're sorely mistaken if you think that a manufacturing defect is somehow the fault of the end user that purchases the product.

Ohsho, believe it or not I have quite a legitimate reason to be concerned about a "few extra degrees". You probably would have picked up on that had you bothered to actually read and understand what I said in original post (which I have since edited since my P180 issues have been resolved). It's absolutely roasting in my room at home, and those "few extra degrees" my system had to put up with because I was using a crappy Foxconn case were responsible for the untimely demise of my system. Given that my last motherboard did indeed get fried from the heat, screwing up my entire system, you would think that would be a precursor to taking extra steps to ensure that the same thing wouldn't happen again. Why is it so hard to understand? I don't want to be shelling out money for extra parts all the time, that's all.

I have no idea what this hostility towards me is all about. If you disagree with me, then fine, disagree. There's no need to get volatile about what I said.

This isn't about you anymore. :D

We are simply talking about the Antec P180. You may be satisfied, but we've moved beyond that now. :cool:

Ahh...I feel so left out! :eek: Well, since we're still talking about the P180 there are a few other miscellaneous I'd like to throw in that I didn't before.

It isn't as hard to move around as I thought it would be. The little bar-type thing at the front bottom of the case can be used for a grip in my experience, and if you've got a good hold on both the bar and the back part of the case it doesn't seem to be that hard. But then again, I work out on a regular basis so take what I say with a grain of salt, those among ye of little muscle! :p

I'm sure glad that I kept the thick 120mm fan going in the bottom chamber instead of removing it like some do. As it would turn out, my Neopower HE 500's fan stopped working a bit ago and I didn't really notice it until recently - and surprisingly, the air coming out the back wasn't really all that hot or even lukewarm. Antec's customer service, of course, responded within two hours of my initial complaint and it's good to know that they're ready to help if something should happen to the replacement NeoHE I'll be getting once I return the defective one to Best Buy.

I happen to personally like how the P180's exterior look. The smooth, brushed panels looks a whole lot better than the legions of cheap, chunky Dell and HP cases out there. The spoiler is something really unique that I don't think I've ever seen on a case, and even the front door with its typical bulge is something nice to look at. And I have to give Antec credit - having a door with a double hinge that allows you to fold it back against the side of the case is extremely nice.

That is all... :eek:

Shorehn said:
And I have to give Antec credit - having a door with a double hinge that allows you to fold it back against the side of the case is extremely nice.

That is another gripe. The folds back, but it won't stay folded back flat. That's a design overlook.

c1001 said:
That is another gripe. The folds back, but it won't stay folded back flat. That's a design overlook.

No, that's inconsistant quality. Some of them I've worked with do lay back all the way. (Flat against the side) Others don't. It varies from case to case.

Back