The PC is Dead?... Long live the Console!?!

Kong

Limp Gawd
NOTE: This is an attempt at a serious discussion about Consoles and the PC as gaming platforms their past, present, and most importantly the future. This is not a thread set out to bash or malign either platform or their respected fans. If you feel the need to do so start your own thread and make a proper fool of yourself there.

History: I feel it is important to start with my personal gaming History. I am 36, my first gaming experience at an arcade was Space Invaders and at home Pong. The first home console game I had was a system that just played variations of a game called Breakout. I spent many hours playing on the Atari 2600 and dropped countless quarters at Arcades in the early 80's. I played Zelda, Super Mario on the NES but in the late 80's my love of arcade and console games faded. It was not until 1992 that my gaming began again when I bought my first PC, the powerful Intel 386!!! ;) And so I began my PC gaming journey. Since then, and in part because I got married and had children I haved owned the following consoles: Sega Genesis, N64, PS1, PS2, Gamecube. However, I very rarely play on the consoles. My children play on both the PC and the consoles and they enjoy both, my oldest console skills are way beyond mine now. I am a PC gamer. However, I am not a PC elitist.

Enjoy this time my fellow PC gamer, for this might well be the golden age of the PC game. Look at the games this year. Far Cry, Doom 3, Half-Life 2, The Sims 2, Rome: Total War (PC 2004 Games at GameRankings.com) to name a few, it's been a banner year for FPS games in particular. Despite this there are trends that can no longer be denied, and these trends herald the end of the PC as a gaming platform, and not to far in the future.

It was not long ago that the PC was a far superior platform to any console, but that gap has shrunk tremendously. Yes, the PC will always be superior for no other reason than it is constantly upgraded whereas the console is upgraded every 4-5 years. But the console is taking over, the sales numbers prove it but if you don't believe it go into a Best Buy or EBGames. The PC software area is shrinking and shrinking and the console area is growing. How many current game sites started as PC only and now include consoles or are now console dominant?? I wonder how much longer EBGames will sell PC software??

Yes the PC is a superior platform, yes games should look and run much better on a PC. But at what cost? I think you need to spend $1000 today to build a decent rig that can play the latest games well. I can pick up an Xbox or a PS2 for $150 today, when they are first released for around $300. Games cost the same for console or PC. However the real cost is not at the consumer end, but at the publisher/developer end. It is far more profitable to produce for the console than the PC. Let me explain. The console hardware is locked, the developer knows EXACTLY what the hardware is and it does not change, there is ONE combination. On the PC side it is exactly the opposite, the are countless combinations of hardware, AMD/Intel CPUs, Nvidia/Via/Intel motherboard chipsets, Nvidia/ATI video cards, numerous sound options, multiple OS's (Win 98, XP, 2000) - all these combinations are a nightmare for developers, and ultimately mean it takes longer, is much more difficult and cost more money to develop a PC game. Not to mention that once a console game hits the street it is 100% finished, whereas a PC game may have another 3-12 months of work as it is tweaked, patched, and possibly new content added. One more factor is it is much easier to pirate PC games.

The next generation of consoles will spell the doom of PC games. I am not saying that PC games will disappear completely, but the number of titles will drop significantly and we will see the trend where IF a game sells X number of units on the console side then they will make a PC version. Why do you think Microsoft got into the console market?!?! Why are they currently willing to lose so much money doing it? Because they saw the future 5 years ago. Why do you think Carmack at id says he has one more engine in him?? I believe in part because he knows the PC market is dying and does not want to develop on consoles. The PC will become a specialized market, catering to the strategy crowd in particular. I also think many die-hard PC gamers are gonna think twice when the next-gen of console games comes out, because they are gonna look great and be very powerful.

And so in 10 years I people may well look back at the year 2004 and say this was the last hurrah before the real decline, the last year the PC game held it's own against the console. The console is taking over and soon, if not already, will be the undisputed King of gaming. I do not look forward to this day, but I beleive it is inevitable.

The PC is Dead.... Long live the Console!! - though it pains me to write it, I believe it to be true.

i believe the PC gaming industry is "declining" because the average person will most likely buy a dell or HP or so that doesnt have the GPU to power games like hl2 and doom3 and the average person will usually not build their own to save money and get great performance. On the other hand, they will be able to plug in the RCA cords and power cords for a console.

consoles are a lot easier to game on, thats why people do it

also, the new xbox(or whatever) is supposed to use ATI's r500(i think thats it) which should be a step between the x800's and the r520s (Q2 next year?) and when are the new consoles due out? last time i heard was laste 2005/early 2006 and until all tv's are HD, the resolution of the games will still only be 640x480, although they could start including aa/af, its not nearly as noticable as on a crisp/clear CRT of LCD monitor

and when you say the price of the console, include the price of the TV also :) because when you say the price of a full PC you need to include the price of the monitor also. mine
only ran me about $1200 and it will last me well into next year (gpu especially, ill be going 64bit when this poor 15 year old gets a job)

You summed it up quite nicely Kong, but don't expect a lot of people here to admit it. The majority is in denial.

Convenience also plays a large role in the dominance of the console market. There are a few PC games that I love, but sometimes I just want to sit down and start a game. Sometimes I don't feel like searching out drivers, tweaking settings, and wondering when a patch would come out to fix the inevitable sound/graphics problems that almost all of us have encountered at one time or another. Sometimes I don't want to sit in front of my computer screen. I'd rather be relaxing on a couch with some friends, playing a LAN Halo 2 match.

Graphics are nice, but I'm not hung up on them like I was when I first entered the market. I would rather have a superior experience that looks good than a mediocre experience that looks excellent (No names, but we all know what I'm talking about). Many console games are extremely deep (Check out games like Knights of the Old Republic, MGS3, and Splinter Cell for strategy in varying genres. For the record, they all came to consoles first and look damned good).

PC developers aren't helping things. Flooding the market with generic me-too titles isn't going to earn you any fans. It happens on the consoles as well, but not nearly as much. The big-name titles get delayed by years instead of months (And while this happens in the console industry, it doesn't happen nearly as often either. Most console delays are a few months, and even those that are delayed have a dozen others that can take their place).

I've got the luxury of owning a decent gaming PC and all three current-generation consoles (Four if you count the poor Dreamcast). Hopefully something will show up to revitalize the PC gaming market, but I can't imagine anything that would.

The console will take most of the game titles for the obvious economic reaons you mentioned, but there are enough PC enthusiasts to create a niche market that should succeeed.

One thing you forgot to mention about PC games is Piracy. It's RAMPANT.

And the thing that the PC game has over the console game is the idea of the 'update.' New levels, new enemies, all without purchasing a whle new game. There's also the "Mods" which the consoles will (as they are now) never be able to hold down and which will perpetuate any game into super popularity ala CS.

as long as pc games continue to sell MILLIONS of copies world wide.. it will remain very much alive.. to say something is DEAD means that a very SMALL percentage of the worlds population plays pc games and if that were the case then pc game makers wouldn't be making any money but that is not the case.. So you can keep thinking it's dead all you want, the rest of us will continue living in reality..

And the thing that the PC game has over the console game is the idea of the 'update.' New levels, new enemies, all without purchasing a whle new game. There's also the "Mods" which the consoles will (as they are now) never be able to hold down and which will perpetuate any game into super popularity ala CS.

I believe Microsoft is panning user-created content as the next evolution in Xbox Live for the Xbox 2. The Tony Hawk games started that little fever (PS2 owners can create custom levels and upload them).

as long as pc games continue to sell MILLIONS of copies world wide..

Pray tell, how often do PC games reach the platinum status? Not very often, you say? That's odd...it happens all the time in the console industry.

It doesnt even make sense how you can say that PC gaming is dead. In the next few generations of consoles, all they are is computers. Computers do cost alot more to build, but there is also alot more you can do on a computer vs a console, considering most people dont only use their computers for gaming. Saying PC gaming is dead is fairly absurd.

This happens every couple months or so. PC GAMING IS NOT I repeat NOT DEAD! Case closed. As long as there's still money in it for publishers (and there still is) there will be PC Gaming. As long as ATi and nVidia still keep pumping out killer 3D Hardware there will be PC Gaming...I don't see nVidia or ATi getting out of the PC Graphics business do you? If PC Gaming was dying as alot of these Chicken Littles claim I'm sure nVidia and ATi would both see the hand-writing on the wall and get out of the PC Performance business all together. Sure they've both diversified making mobo chipsets (although ATI's no stranger to that realm) and chipsets for mobile devices like cell phones and PDAs. ATi powers the Nintendo Gamecube for crying out loud. I would say that's ATi and nVidia diversifying for the sake of having product diversity. The only reason computers are as fast as they are today is because more realistic PC Gaming is the drive for 4Ghz Processors and 512MB Video cards and PCI Express. You don't need a 3Ghz machine with an X800 to run Word and Excel all day. Hell, you can do that with an old P2 333 or a Celeron. You need that stuff for gaming, if gaming on the PC was dead there'd be no reason for ATi, nVidia, Intel, and AMD to push the envelope on engineering.

PC gaming is far from dead. For many consoles, games don't usually last over 6 months. It took 4-5 years for Starcraft or Counterstrike to be considered "yesterday's" games. The GTA series is good for a while, but no new content will be added, unless you get a new game. The reason what makes PC better than console is the replayability of PC games via online.

Yes you can play Halo 2 online, but the popularity of one console is based on 2-3 games. The interaction in consoles is usually based on your friends or the AI. The lack of a stable multiplayer in many console games is what makes some people prefer computer games. You can always find a friend from across the country or some stranger to play with or against.

Large tourneys are usually held for computer games. This type of competition keeps a game going. Even during the cyber world games, starcraft was still a huge part of the tourney.Right now, because of Halo2, X-Box has the spotlight and the fame right now. But after 6 months, it'll be dead.

Unlike HL2, no new mods or content can be added to Halo2 and it's limited to the same old gameplay it will be 6 months ago. Even if there's an imbalance in the game, it can't be fixed in updates. Plus, I'm pretty sure at least 85% of those FPS fans out there prefer a keyboard/mouse instead of a controller.

There's only certain genres a console can outmatch PC. Hands down PC wins in FPS and RTS. Console dominates fighting games. And both of them are equal in the RPG genre. Only in the PC gaming community can an individual express their creativity in MOD designs or map creation. Console is most popular among pre 20s, but once you look among the 20 years and old generation, PC is far more popular. Since there are no parents to tell their child what to play, what to buy, and what to do. Ever since my friends and I went to college, we kind of dropped the newer generation consoles out of our lives and moved on to the PC gaming.

PS: The current consoles or games CANNOT and WILL NOT beat out the classics gameplay of super mario world, chrono trigger, and zelda link to the past. Out of the consoles I have (X box, PS2, SNES, sega) only the SNES will never have dust on it. Any maybe the Sega Genesis.

urr no it won't ever be dead. why? cause of capitalism. oh sure one or two companies can go bankrupt due to piracy, but their gamers market will just go to bigger companies like EA etc, which will get even richer and make better games. long live capitalism!

PC gaming is far from dead. For many consoles, games don't usually last over 6 months. It took 4-5 years for Starcraft or Counterstrike to be considered "yesterday's" games.

Which is another reason why PC publishers are making less and less money. PC can stick with one game for years off of free modifications. That means that publishers aren't making money off of new games.

Yes you can play Halo 2 online, but the popularity of one console is based on 2-3 games.

Xbox Live had well over a million subscribers before Halo 2 was released. There are at least forty online enabled games, and most of them are popular. I believe there are three million XBL subscribers now. Around 350,000 are registered to have played Halo 2. That means there are still a lot of people playing something else.

Unlike HL2, no new mods or content can be added to Halo2 and it's limited to the same old gameplay it will be 6 months ago. Even if there's an imbalance in the game, it can't be fixed in updates.

Where the hell did you get that from? Content downloads and patches are released all the time. Bungie released a fix for the matchmaking system one week after release that significantly sped up normal matchmaking and fixed Optimatch.

Console is most popular among pre 20s, but once you look among the 20 years and old generation, PC is far more popular.

Wrong yet again. The largest demographic for consoles is that of the 22-28 category.

You made some good points, but PC gaming will never die. Did you post this thread using your Xbox or Playstation? As long as people use computers there will be games to be played on them. And since PC games look better in comparison to the console as you stated there will be hardware manufacturer's to support better and better gaming.

My rambling thougts in general. There may be a point, but it is probably that I am off my meds again.

I can spend 500 dollars on an Xbox and a Gamecube and several games that will work or I can spend that money on a video card and still not be able to play a game because of some other issue.

Personally, I care about the games, not the platform. Microsoft et. al. are coming up with a Plug and Play tech for PC games. Microsoft has also said they would like to standardize the PC joypad. They are taking what they have learned from the X-box and adding it to the PC. The next generation console will pretty much be an HTPC. The current generation almost is. The wide acceptance is because the console gaming system has become the DVD player. Computers are still viewed as complex and not understood. Apple is the only close to a set top system, but still priced too high for wide acceptance. Either way, Any game that says X-box on it will work in my X-box. A game that says PC on it may or may not work with my PC.

Some genres don't translate well. I hate to call something a console game, but there are some games that their layout and gameplay is better suited to certain formats. Prince of Persia is a good example. It may simply be an experiance based bias. I know people that can't fathom why I prefer FPS games on a PC with a keyboard and mouse(as God intended) and I can't understand why those heretics claim the controller is better.

In the end, there is somthing that will kill the PC game industry. Either they seek to do it or do it through their own incompetence, the threat is there. I'm talking developers and publishers. I am close to adding overzealous fans. Either fans with a raging boner for or a raging boner against. Which everybody is guilty of to an extent.

Design has been replaced by hype(Doom 3, Daikatana). Flagging sales are blamed on consumer stupidity(Sierra). Games are released broken(300 megs of patches before the game is released). Some are broken to the point of unplayability(every goddamn mmorpg). Messages boards fill with bug reports, and get shut down(Another mmorpg. Anarachy online I think). Roberta Williams says her adventure games stopped selling because people are too stupid to solve the puzzles. I guess using the same puzzles over and over again isn't the problem(anybody else notice the new Liesure Suit Larry puzzles are pretty much Tapper?). The head of Lucasarts said Force Commander flopped because people are too stupid to understand 3D games. Kelly Flock(CEO, Sony Online Entertainment) said the customer just fucks them up. Sadly, this isn't just video game related. The producer of the movie Alfie says his movie doesn't suck, George Bush is making people not go see his movie. I didn't go see it because it got bad reviews, not because the President is in my front yard with a megaphone.

The problem is the consumer. I know next nothing about programming. I know it is hard, I know in the PC world there are millions of possible hardware combinations that make it near impossible to make a program 100% bug free. I cannot do programming. That is why I pay others to do it for me. I buy all of my programs. I feel I have a right to be angry after paying 50 dollars for a coaster.

I can understand incompatibilities with Salvador Sal's Super Sound Card. That I can excuse. Pools of Radiance rendering my computer inoperable, I cannot forgive. I run a fairly vanilla setup. All the components are from major companies. Nothing overclocked and I don't run beta drivers. Yet, I have had games not like this component or that component.

After spending more money than I can comfortably imagine to make a game they still manage to ruin it. I find it hard to believe that in all the time it took to produce Daikatana, nobody once said "Uh, this isn't fun." Nobody in the development of Sin said "Dude, 9 hours to load a level?" Nobody in the development of Battlecruiser said "Derek, find another job".

I'm not a real demanding gamer. I want a game I purchase to entertain me. I'm not entertained if I keep crashing to the desktop. While that may be enjoyable to some, I prefer to not look at my desktop. I also want the game to entertain me now. I don't want to spend 3 hours riding a train through Black Mesa or have spend 16 hours with Thief 3 before it starts to get good.

The computer game industry may die, but it will be due to self inflicted wounds.

Yes, PC gaming is dead, tell that to everyone who has bought/will buy HL2, and also the 500,000 people that signed up for WoW open beta in ONE day. And yes, I suppose the developers of games will lose money when they keep releasing updates for games years after release, but they usually get around that with expansion packs. I dont see the world of PC gaming declining at all, if anything its just getting exciting with games that have graphics as good as Doom 3 and HL2, and games as completely kick ass as WoW and GTA. Games on the PC will always be better than games on a console, GTA is a GREAT example of that. And dont get me wrong, I love consoles, been playing them since I got a nintendo as a youngin, but they just cant beat a PC for versatility and gaming experience.

Looking at what I've seen about the next X-Box coming in multiple forms, one being that of a computer, I'm sure that eventually console and PC games will get to the point where consoles are simply stripped down PCs (oh wait, they are) but still compatible with one another. At least, that's what I hope will happen, but I think that manufacturers are too greedy and they love having their games on proprietary formats so they can make more cash...

Well, one can dream, can't they?

The thing is, the computer does a shit load more than just play games better than a console. You can actually DO stuff with a computer...

console is bigger because it is more mainstream and pc is best because it has best everything about it (graphics, not only games, upgrading)... people are just scared away by PC's because they are newbs and dont know how to use them hardly at all

-warsaw

There is no chance I am reading all these posts. I'll just add my .02

Console market is getting huge. But, who cares. There will ALWAYS be a great market for PC game devs. How many Console games are designed/made by basement/underground designers? I don't think any are. Why? They have ZERO ACCESS to the deveolpment tools NEEDED to make those games. PC will always have the new and fresh stuff made by these guys and the companies they start.

Argue if you want but there will always be PC market, despite the ups and downs that happens with EVERYONE MARKET IN THE WORLD.

people are just scared away by PC's because they are newbs and dont know how to use them hardly at all

Yet another reason why PC gaming will die out eventually. The community. Statements like that.

Tell me something; have you ever bought a complex piece of electronics that you knew everything about the second you opened the box? No? Didn't think so.

The main staple of most PC games is shifting to that of online multiplayer. Unfortunately, the communities involved are so fucking belligerant and childish that they push new people away within the first ten minutes.

I've played a variety of PC games online, and it's not something that is exclusive to one genre or one game. It is industry wide. You end up playing with a group of kids whose only delusions of power are derived from belitting others over the internet. It's fucking pathetic, and it's rampant across all PC games.

Know how many people over the past year on Xbox Live because of idiocy and childish ranting? Two. I have to filter at least three people per match in every PC game I play, however. It's ridiculous.

After you filter through the assholes, you have hackers to deal with. Yet again, those are problems that most online console gamers just don't run into. XBL does an excellent job at preventing cheats, and if one does arrive, a patch is issued promptly to remove the exploit. With some PC games, a patch may take months to get released (If it ever does at all...).

i actually prefare console games , i find it more comfy sitting on the couch , viewing on a large screen tv with a joystick in my hand and having to worry about 8 buttons instead of being perched on a desk with a full keyboard/mouse arrangement.

the only reason i have moved onto pc's is because the xbox is starting to show its age , the games dont give me what i want anymore and the pc does at this moment.

when the new consoles come out , the pc will be playing catchup again with the games and i will swiftly leave my pc behind and go back to my comfy couch and large screen :)

PC gaming will always be about the the bleeding edge. PC games are just more ambitious and complex than almost any console game. This is why I love PC games. I also like console games for thier simplicity, look at the Metroid Prime series, you can pick up the controller and enjoy yourself immediatley. Console games to me are not as fun as what they used to be. I think the reason for this is that console developers are trying to emulate the games on the PC and the consoles just do not have power or the demographic to support games like that. I think Nintendo has the right idea with the Revolution in trying to make simple and enjoyable games instead of making a mini PC that tries to be what it can't.

the PC market is like the underground market that secretly drives everything else. it's given us: the FPS, the RTS, online gaming, Nvidia/Ati (would microsoft have come to them if the PC never pushed the market?)

besides, Apple is a very niche market, are they anywhere close to dead?

the console has very few pros over the PC, they are: plug and play ability, ability to bring people together, long times between coming out with "the next generation", and developers know what the system they're designing the engine for, and sports games (but even then, you can buy a controller for it). if anything, the console is becoming more like a PC.

right now i think the epitome of a console is gamecube. it is much more unique than ps2 and xbox and not as much like a PC. it can also bring families together much better than the other two can since it is aimed at all audiences. the lack of a multiplayer isnt really much a con, because compared to PC all consoles lack a good multiplayer. i have had way more fun on my gamecube than on anyone of my friends ps2s/xboxes. and it also runs at 60fps compared to ps2's 30. the controllers IMO are also a lot better than xbox's especially since they have pioneers wireless with their Wavebird controller

It will be interesting to see what happens when consoles fully support HDTV (and it's fairly common).

I still prefer the PC because of the superior graphics (currently but HDTV may change all of that).

Computer gaming is far from over. What consoles are now, is where PCs were around 3 years ago. However, they are two different beasts. No one who is in their right mind will admit that a console shooter is better then a PC shooter, and its crazy for anyone to say that sports games are better on PC (unless you have a controller). Consoles now a-day are becoming mini-PCs. Thats all they really are, the Xbox has an Nvida graphics card, HD, motherboard, Intel Processor. PC gaming is just taking off, these are the tip of the iceberg showing what advanced graphics from these video cards can bring. Soon computers will have graphics of that of cinimatics. There will always be some games better for PC then console, which will keep it alive. In order for the console to be better, they need a keyboard and mouse, which makes it a PC.

As a person in my mid 20's, I am really just getting back into video games. I spent a lot of time as a young teenager in the arcades and on the Nintendo. I didn't fall into the craze when the Playstation came out, but I did start playing again when some roommates purchased a PS2. Following the purchase of a new PC, I now enjoy my PC games much more than the console games. It is really a matter of choice.

I have a PC (just about everyone owns one these days right?), why not use it to game? You can't argue with the fact that people are always going to own PC's, and nVidia and ATI are always on the cutting edge of new video cards. For a small investment on most computers, you have a personal gaming machine. I will not go out and buy a console, because I can have most of the same games on my PC. For the couple hundred dollars invested in a console, and 50 bucks a pop for the console games, it does not make sense to me at the moment. I will continue to purchase and play PC games as long as there is amarket for them. I don't see the PC disappearing any time soon...

Sc0rched said:
. In order for the console to be better, they need a keyboard and mouse, which makes it a PC.

lol just bought one for my xbox the other day.

As far as pc gaming dieing, dont see it. If anything it is growing. And how can you compare console gaming to pc gaming. Thats like comparing oranges and apples, sure they are both fruit (games, if you didnt catch the analogy) but are nothing alike. And last i checked there wasnt a console lan of over 3000 people scheduled anytime soon. PC games, you see lans like this every month (across the world). there is even a profesinal league for pc games, where is the one for consoles. And who ever said there are over 40 rooms for halo online, wow thats alot :rolleyes: . There are over 5000 for cs alone, each game i have played online there have always been no less than 1000. If anything pc gaming has only begun to strive. And in no way is consoles ever going to push the pc out the window, christ they cant even get rid of each other. The way I see it consoles are for the every day shmo who wants to think he is a gamer. The PC is for the 1337, always has been and always will be.

JEEVES

and yes i play both, they are both fun but I do prefer the pc over console.

Hmm, I'm only 23, my history with gaming started with the NES (SEGA Master System actually but no one remembers that) rather than the Atari, though my cousin owned one so I played it as well as a Commodore64. I started gaming on the PC with a 486, didn't really get into it 'till I had a P1 133. Red Alert and later StarCraft turned me over to the power of the PC so I started getting more interested in it at that point.

Dreamcast was the last console I owned, had a PS, GC, Saturn, SNES, Genesis (+32X +SegaCD), NES, and Master System... I played the heck out of the PS and Saturn, didn't own that many GC games. Frankly I think the Super Smash. Bro cartridge is permenently burnt into my unit, heh. That one got a ton of playing time thru high school (senior year lunch breaks, all Smash Bro all the time).

I owned soooo many SNES games, boxes and boxes, it's not even believable. Regardless, I eventually lost interest in consoles... I mostly enjoyed them when I had friends over (Bomberman, Smash Bro, etc.) but those same friends moved to college so we started playing CS/SC/etc. In the process I lost interest in most console games, due to the lack of mp but also because some games just didn't play as well on consoles...

And this is the reason that the PC will always prevail despite all the technical reasons Kong quoted. Those issues have always been present and though the line blurs more and more and they became more relevant, they still dont' overcome the fact that certain games are just not enjoyable on a console or even a TV screen. Strategy games, god-games, sims, etc.

Even FPS are still just more flexible on the PC, not only can you achieve things like HL2 and D3 (console ports will be faint imitations I'm sure) but then there's the mods, admin servers, etc. There's been far bigger lull spots in the PC gaming than right now, not sure how at 36 ages you wouldn't remember them. The proclamation that the consoles will take over has been made more times than anyone cares to remember, never happens. It's just cycles...

Hell, if anything, PC gaming could shed some fat... If a few smaller crap shoveling developers leave due to shrinking markets then all the better. Sure, budgets might shrink... But you forgot one thing, when you develop for the PC the revenue is all yours and the publishers (unless you publish it independently, then it's all yours!). When you put a game on the console it's not the same, I dunno how the Xbox plays the royalty game but Nintendo and Sony practically lived off it for years.

WickedAngel said:
Yet another reason why PC gaming will die out eventually. The community. Statements like that.

Tell me something; have you ever bought a complex piece of electronics that you knew everything about the second you opened the box? No? Didn't think so.
The main staple of most PC games is shifting to that of online multiplayer. Unfortunately, the communities involved are so fucking belligerant and childish that they push new people away within the first ten minutes.

Ever been to the IGN forums? Gamespot forums?

I've played a variety of PC games online, and it's not something that is exclusive to one genre or one game. It is industry wide. You end up playing with a group of kids whose only delusions of power are derived from belitting others over the internet. It's fucking pathetic, and it's rampant across all PC games.

Get an admin and ban the suckers, simple as that. There are tools to stop this kind of stuff, find someone who can use them or do it yourself.

Know how many people over the past year on Xbox Live because of idiocy and childish ranting?

Huh?

Two. I have to filter at least three people per match in every PC game I play, however. It's ridiculous

You can abuse stupid people verbally on Xbox live, which probably shuts them up for fear of smackdown more than on PC. It's becoming more prominant on PC though, so hope is on the horizon.

After you filter through the assholes, you have hackers to deal with. Yet again, those are problems that most online console gamers just don't run into. XBL does an excellent job at preventing cheats, and if one does arrive, a patch is issued promptly to remove the exploit. With some PC games, a patch may take months to get released (If it ever does at all...).

If they have to keep making patches, so much for hackers 'just not happening'. Just because one kind of car is stolen more often, they should just stop making it?

There's also the classic arguement of consoles turning into mini-PCs, which is exactly what's happening. Even if PC gaming were to die out completely tomorrow, it would return in the future when consoles inevitably become as functional as PCs.

As much as I hate to see it, I dont think PC gaming is going to be anything special anymore. Xbox 2 is supposed to have ATi's new R500 core, along with *rumor* tri 3.5ghz IBM cpu's! Match that up with all the new big screen HDTV's coming out and digital sound setups, and you got some major competition. The average person will find gaming on a big screen TV with custom surround sound and xbox 2 a lot more fun than gaming on a 19" screen watching tech demos. Plus, consoles always get the good games, since developers know thats where the money is. But, I dont think PC gaming will ever "die", I just dont think it'll be that great in the future. Upgrading parts, finding which driver works best, looking for the best bios, worrying about cooling, and seeing how many FPS you get will turn off the average gamer who just wants to play the damn game.

Ever been to the IGN forums? Gamespot forums?

We're talking about the communities in the online gaming arena, not a public forum where half the people that bitch about the games haven't even played them yet.

Get an admin and ban the suckers, simple as that. There are tools to stop this kind of stuff, find someone who can use them or do it yourself.

There are a lot of instances where the administration is the problem. No amount of admin coverage is going to be enough for a constant flow of gamers entering the match. You kick one, another comes in.

By the way, I meant to ask "Know how many people I've had to filter on Xbox Live over the past year?". I was trying to talk to people on MSN at the same time...didn't work out, I guess.

If they have to keep making patches, so much for hackers 'just not happening'. Just because one kind of car is stolen more often, they should just stop making it?

Perhaps you should read over my statement again. I said "most" XBL gamers don't run into hacking, which means that cheaters are rare on XBL. I never said there were none.

Most of the patches are for exploits to the ranking system. The need for patches in regards to hackers on Xbox Live is rare, but when the need arises, they're quick to respond. Reading comprehension is our friend.

Circuitbreaker8 said:
Xbox 2 is supposed to have ATi's new R500 core, along with *rumor* tri 3.5ghz IBM cpu's!

i know that its gonna have hte r500, but shit dude, do you really think they can offer TRI 3.5ghz powerpc processors for 400 dollars or less? thats really ludacris, there is no way that games are going to be written to take advantage of multiple procs, not to mention that if that were true, that console would be more powerful than a dual opteron system

as a comparison, the xbox was 400 when it came out (or was it 300? i cant remember) and it has a 700mhz celeron and a geforce3.edit: 300 it was :)

back on topic, i dont think that PC gaming is going anywhere.. proof? look how many 6 and X series were sold on their release(hell best buy STILL doesnt have GT's on the shelves, at least where i live), look how many copies of doom3 were sold, and look at how many people are raving about how awesome hl2 is... even the non-computer savy are jumping on the PC bandwagon because of the games that are coming to PC, my friend was so blown away by far cry that i had to build a computer for him, and of course, he had hl2 in mind too, as he loved the first hl (like everyone else, lol)

with new engines like the doom3, crytek, and source engines to dazzle gamers as well as provide a fully immersive gameplay experience, i dont think PC gaming is ever going to go away, its just too cool... we all care about how good the game is, but honestly, when you booted up far cry for the first time and stepped outside, were you not like "holy fuck...this is awesome"

on a differnt note however, i dont think games will ever meet the perfection they had with SNES and the N64(because of ocarina of time.. best game ever) ... games like super mario world, donkey kong, and my favorite series of all time, zelda, will always be on the top of my list, although half life 2 is right up there with them right now, i was absolutly blown away with that game

That rumor seems pretty far-fetched... Unless the Xbox 2 isn't coming out for 2-3 more years. :p /shrug

PHP:
on a differnt note however, i dont think games will ever meet the perfection they had with SNES and the N64(because of ocarina of time.. best game ever) ... games like super mario world, donkey kong, and my favorite series of all time, zelda, will always be on the top of my list, although half life 2 is right up there with them right now, i was absolutly blown away with that game

I totaly agree, the last time I had fun on a console was OOT on the n64. As much as I love HL nothing will ever beat that game imo. Console games just got old after that.

drewb99 said:
There's also the classic arguement of consoles turning into mini-PCs, which is exactly what's happening. Even if PC gaming were to die out completely tomorrow, it would return in the future when consoles inevitably become as functional as PCs.

Thanks Drew, that statement does give me hope and something I did not consider when writing my initial post.

Further thoughts:

First, remember boys this is [H], the average poster here is a hardcore PC guy, probably built their own rig, and is comfortable playing with the BIOS, editing the Registry, or using console commands in games.

Some other posters brought up some good points. PC developer/publishers releasing these bug ridden, beta level games are hurting the PC game market. How many folks out there right now are pissed because HL2 is not working properly?!?! Cheating is also doing significant damage to the PC market, imo it has ruined many games. The future of gaming is online/multiplayer. I too am sick of the immature punks, frankly I am hoping that the success of the consoles online will draw this group there and away from PCs. Another strike against PC games is the fact that many games are being co-developed for consoles and PCs. It seems to me that the PC game suffers the most when this occurs. A excellent current example is Star Wars:Battlefront, I was disappointed with this game on my PC. I had read that many felt it was better on the PS2.

IMO the reason PC game market is dying is all about the money. I did some more searches to come up with some hard sales numbers. Here are some links:
NPD 2003 Sales figures from Trendsetters.com
2003 Game Sales from Megagames.com

Overall, 2003 U.S. sales of console games totaled USD 5.8 billion (186.4 million units) while computer games accounted for USD 1.2 billion (52.8 million units) in sales. Not only did consoles outsell PCs by almost 4:1, but the average unit sale for the console was $31 vs. $22 for the PC. (Remember these #'s do not take into account actual profit made, guessing at the difference would be simple that, a guess, but as I said in my initial post, it is significantly more expensive to develop a game for a PC vs. a console.)

At this point it seems to me that Halo 2 will be a bigger seller than HL2. It sure got a lot more attention, course that was in part due to Microsoft marketing money hard at work. I think it is fair to compare these two because they are both FPS games, they both are the 2nd version and both original versions sold very well. Which is better is subjective but how these 2 sell over the next year will give a very clear indication of where the market is going, especially considering that the FPS was once considered PC territory only.

Money talks, and the large publishers are going where the money is, imo the large publishers take the lion share of the blame for killing the PC market. Remember Valve and id are not your typical developers and IF the PC game market is to be more than a niche these 'independent' developers must continue their primary develop for the PC.

Dead is a strong term, and as long as the PC exists there will be new PC games, but mark my words, in 10 years PC game sales will be a fraction of what they are today, and all the BIG games will be launched on consoles with some trickling down to the PC.

lithium726 said:
i know that its gonna have hte r500, but shit dude, do you really think they can offer TRI 3.5ghz powerpc processors for 400 dollars or less? thats really ludacris, there is no way that games are going to be written to take advantage of multiple procs, not to mention that if that were true, that console would be more powerful than a dual opteron system

as a comparison, the xbox was 400 when it came out (or was it 300? i cant remember) and it has a 700mhz celeron and a geforce3.edit: 300 it was :)

back on topic, i dont think that PC gaming is going anywhere.. proof? look how many 6 and X series were sold on their release(hell best buy STILL doesnt have GT's on the shelves, at least where i live), look how many copies of doom3 were sold, and look at how many people are raving about how awesome hl2 is... even the non-computer savy are jumping on the PC bandwagon because of the games that are coming to PC, my friend was so blown away by far cry that i had to build a computer for him, and of course, he had hl2 in mind too, as he loved the first hl (like everyone else, lol)

with new engines like the doom3, crytek, and source engines to dazzle gamers as well as provide a fully immersive gameplay experience, i dont think PC gaming is ever going to go away, its just too cool... we all care about how good the game is, but honestly, when you booted up far cry for the first time and stepped outside, were you not like "holy fuck...this is awesome"

Well back in 2000-2001, a 700mhz CPU really wasnt that bad, specially for a console. And its NOT a celeron.

Competitive gaming is the only reason I still play computer games. Games like Counter-Strike 1.6, Starcraft, and a while ago, Quake 3. The new generation of games is really terrible, CS:Source, Painkiller(CPL exclusive wtf?), they are all money makers.

Circuitbreaker8 said:
Well back in 2000-2001, a 700mhz CPU really wasnt that bad, specially for a console. And its NOT a celeron.

i read somewhere that it was?

anyway my point wasnt to say XBOX IS TEH SUXORZ WITH TEH 700MHZ CPU!!! my point was that it came out in 2001ish, and it came with a midrange proc from that time, not dual pIII-s or something like that

Back