The PC Is Dead

Well damn, my PC is pretty much used for everything. Gaming, movies, typing reports, school work, actual work, research...

Yeah, because I want to look at a website on a 3.5" cell phone screen and type out emails on buttons the size of a pen cap end.

I'll never stop using a desktop PC. Console games suck and mobile devices don't have the power or screen size to satisfy.

"PC exclusives" are a myth made to make children learn to type. I play console games with SLI and a mouse.

Correct, I must use a desktop for work every day. My home PC's are hooked up as htpc/media servers. I can plug them into whatever I want, TV, amp, etc etc. Why would I buy 5+ pieces of equipment to do what a single PC can? As for gaming, who wants upscaled garbage with a clunky control interface?

I think someone didn't get enough attention from his parents when he was a kid...

PC isn't growing as fast as the consoles because there aren't as many games being developed on it compared to to consoles. Also only casual games and people who never play games say stupid stuff like that. This journalist is an idiot.

I'm all good with it...everybody else disarm

and then that will happen

and then [H] will RULE THE WORLD BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHA!!!!!!!!

The desktop PC, as we know it, IS dying. What was once the hub for most communication (IM, Email, etc.) was taken over by the phone with text messaging, email on the phone, etc.. I know a lot of companies that have field workers that communicate via Blackberry (or WinMo, or Android), that used to have to go back into the office to send an email to a client or something.

But, the usefulness of the desktop PC isn't dying. There is SO much to be said about it. More horsepower, larger screens, easy to use keyboard & mouse, and much more.

Transfer of power is how I look at it. Things come and go on the PC (remember the huge "Multimedia" craze in the early 90's?), but the PC never dies. It just changes for the better. It adapts to fit the need. I don't feel like buying a new laptop when I want a faster CPU, or a better video card, or a larger monitor, or a better keyboard. Laptops, netbooks, etc. are disposable. Desktops have longer staying power. My kids have my older P4 2.8 from many years ago, and still going strong. They have a laptop from around the same era, P4 3.0 that maxes out at 1.25GB of RAM (Gateway). Bleh...

If someone can cram a Phenom X4 EE, HD5450, 4GB of RAM, 2.5" HDD/SSD and enough USB + external monitor into a tablet it could very well kill desktops.

I can actually forsee AMD doing this with high-end Fusion parts.

What's the point of posting these articles: Is it supposed to be funny? I'm tired of laughing at the idiot or laughing at the crazy person.

Life is like a train: Just ignore the people who smell, yell, and who are crazy.

This is a tech forum, of course all of us are going to be defending desktops, but tbh the article has a major point. Go to any retail store nowadays and look at the desktop section, its about half the size of the laptop sections or non existent at all. The typical person isnt going to be buying their computers from Newegg or Amazon. They will go to Best Buy, Walmart, Office Depot etc.

Most people need their computers for what? Internet and Facebook. Do you guys think they are going to buy a desktop at home or a laptop that they can move around the house?

Well, it will die at some point out in the future, atleast from an entertainment point of view, so will beefy CPU's and GPU's, aswell as the [H] will die with them.
But it's not the consoles/handholds that will kill it, it is MEMORY that will render them obsolete.
Imagine an amount of RAM (or ROM rather) large enough to hold all combinations of a 1920x1080x32 display, then you can say byebye to high-end cpu's and gpu's as they wont be needed, any old cpu/gpu would be able to show whatever using very little computer power, a 2 hour movie take a second to download as it would only need to be a few MB, an index of what pictures (stored in the ROM chip) it's supposed to show.
Games could be pre-rendered and all the cpu has to do is figuring out the physics, but then we could talk about making a physics ROM chip with all stored combinations :D

RAM FTW
Nope, sorry, doesn't work. If you have all combinations of a certain image size stored, then the size of the index needed to specify which one of those images you want, will be exactly the same size as the image itself would be.

This is a tech forum, of course all of us are going to be defending desktops, but tbh the article has a major point. Go to any retail store nowadays and look at the desktop section, its about half the size of the laptop sections or non existent at all. The typical person isnt going to be buying their computers from Newegg or Amazon. They will go to Best Buy, Walmart, Office Depot etc.

Most people need their computers for what? Internet and Facebook. Do you guys think they are going to buy a desktop at home or a laptop that they can move around the house?
He didn't say desktop, he said PC. That means laptops too.

Laptops are definitely a lot more common than desktops, and that trend will continue, but the desktop will never die. It will just be restricted to what ever the performance market is.

Some home users are in no need of a desktop, but many are, not to mention all of the workstations at any company. The desktop market will only be modified but never die.

@split_tail: Why even post? ZZZZZZZZZZZz

Someone needs to smack this guy with a shovel.

Exactly...

As a business programmer myself, he has no idea how many systems are processing
financial data like sales,purchasing and bookkeeping to name a few on a daily basis.

This takes a mainframe server or a computer, not some toy phone bought for
50 bucks at Joes Tech Shop.

You might look that info up on a mobile device, but you cant process it there
at all.

Hes an idiot.

Average computer owner upgrades, what, every 4-6 years?

Average phone user upgrades every two... oh wait I dropped my phone in the toilet... oh no I lost my phone... oh no some homeless man beat me up and stole my iPhone. I'm betting the average is much lower than 2 years :)

If a person buys 3 cell phones for every 1 computer they buy... wouldn't it seem that cell phones would sell faster? That doesn't mean anything... unless you're an idiot with a blog :)

Those zippy, graphics-intensive games are now the domain of consoles like the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

I have no words for this. Why did I even click on that page? *sigh*

Average computer owner upgrades, what, every 4-6 years?

Average phone user upgrades every two... oh wait I dropped my phone in the toilet... oh no I lost my phone... oh no some homeless man beat me up and stole my iPhone. I'm betting the average is much lower than 2 years :)

If a person buys 3 cell phones for every 1 computer they buy... wouldn't it seem that cell phones would sell faster? That doesn't mean anything... unless you're an idiot with a blog :)

Exactly, phones are disposible.

Laptops are definitely a lot more common than desktops, and that trend will continue, but the desktop will never die. It will just be restricted to what ever the performance market is.

Desktops won't die in the professional market IMO but yea its dying and dying fast in the consumer market (with the exception of techies like us).

If the article counts laptops too, yea thats not going to happen. When I see people with tablets in class trying to type its just retarded. Laptops IMO are very important when it comes to the educational market. As a student you are always on the move and life is much easier with a laptop. Cant be writing a 15 page paper on a tablet with research etc.

Correct, I must use a desktop for work every day. My home PC's are hooked up as htpc/media servers. I can plug them into whatever I want, TV, amp, etc etc. Why would I buy 5+ pieces of equipment to do what a single PC can? As for gaming, who wants upscaled garbage with a clunky control interface?

But you know how to connect that stuff up. The average person doesn't have a clue. So they go out and buy the stuff that is easier to connect and use.

Title and intro said PC, but then switches to using the term desktop and used that for the rest of the article. So I (like a few others her) believe he was only refering to desktops when he used the term PC.

mmmm yea! I still think the best way to play the games with intense graphics and easy to control is still on a PC. ;) PC is getting stronger with the modding, lightning, speed, games deviced. Desktop are still faster than laptops, hopefully the laptops will get faster in the near future.

As much as you are correct by that statement, Consoles are the reasons why PC gaming is lagging behind. We're still stuck with Geforce 7xxx series graphics because of consoles.

Yes I know there are a few that are pushing it, but most games are becoming ports from consoles, not the other way around like it used to be.

I can see that the next Desktop I build will be the last one I build.

It's not practical to build laptop and smaller computers, and soon these smaller computers are closing the performance gap with desktops. There's also the prospect of the "Cloud" killing the need for local computing power. Finally, we're running out of things we need more power for.

Wow shocking, this is totally not the umpteenth time someone declared the pc dead... right? :rolleyes:

here's a novel idea: How about...we wait until the PC is dead....then we write about it?

I should be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Ive been listening to people tell me that PC gaming is dead since I was playing Raid On Bungling Bay on my Commodore 64 back in the 80's. The Nintendo and Super Mario Brothers were gonna be the death knell for playing games on a computer.

Yes PC games make up only around 5% of total video game sales but when you think thats still $600,000,000 thats a pretty good incentive. Hell thats the total sales of a lot of big companies.

Haven't people been saying the PC is dead for over 10years now? Oh yes, they have been since at least 1999:

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=FA0B11F83E5D0C738EDDAB0994D1494D81

It will be replaced by these cool things called "Web Pads" and "Cellular Phones"

LOL! Nice find.

In other related news, WoW Cataclysm just sold 4.7 million in its first month. Also people are spending more on their desktops. After all you do need a place to edit and store all those videos and picture taken with camera phones.

If anything, the modern PC will be a gateway to get away from all this.

Yup, if you guys read the article he's arguing that laptops are getting phased out too. I wonder what he typed that article on? In the "iPhone-crazed" world he's talking about I wonder what all of those "iPhone-crazed" people are syncing their phones up to? This guy is a moron.

I'm guess he used a wireless interface between his brain and his web server, seeing as he is obviously from the future and all.

Nope, sorry, doesn't work. If you have all combinations of a certain image size stored, then the size of the index needed to specify which one of those images you want, will be exactly the same size as the image itself would be.

Yes, it should ofcourse be all combinations that looks like something, that would leave out an enormous percentage that doesnt look like anything, then with some compression and categorizing we're getting there, though prolly a bit to large still depending on the bandwidth at that time.

But that is still just for download, if for store bought it would work fine and require minimal processing power, by very simple cpu's/gpu's, no heat and all.

And it have the advantage, atleast from the industry's point of view, that pirates would have a hard time spreading their wares, sure they could compress movies like they do today, but for interactive games it would be difficult.

I think everyone ought to have a home theater PC. Not expensive. Can do 3D gaming. Can play blurays AND rip your entire disc library to a nice backup hard drive so everything is a button push away on a slick, stable 10 ft remote interface. Can share all of its content over your home network so all your other "gadgets" this guy talks about - like phones and tablets and laptops - can stream wirelessly from it. AND you can use it as a PC when you need to.

A home theater PC (which is still just a desktop PC, really) has single-handedly changed the way we view entertainment in my home. The whole family loves it and everyone who comes for a visit is impressed and wants one themselves. I'm making one for my dad RIGHT NOW, even though he already has two laptops and two desktops in his home. That's right. More desktops.

Back