The Perfect Mobo Q6600

Thanatos.

Gawd
So in a week im going to upgrade the rig in my sig to a G0 Q6600 and im needing a mobo. Ive been an AMD guy till now, this will be my first Intel build so i need some help picking a board. I have 5 requirements that it has to meet 1) be able the accept the Q6600, 2) allow 800Mhz ram, 3) be a good overclocker (if i can hit 3.0Ghz on air im happy), 4) have 3 PCI slots and 5) have 2 IDE connections. What board would you suggest with those things in mind?

Ive been looking into the ASUS P5W DH DELUXE it has alot of nice features plus it fits 4 of my requirement i dont know if it overclocks well or not i haven't found that much on it.

So in a week im going to upgrade the rig in my sig to a G0 Q6600 and im needing a mobo. Ive been an AMD guy till now, this will be my first Intel build so i need some help picking a board. I have 5 requirements that it has to meet 1) be able the accept the Q6600, 2) allow 800Mhz ram, 3) be a good overclocker (if i can hit 3.0Ghz on air im happy), 4) have 3 PCI slots and 5) have 2 IDE connections. What board would you suggest with those things in mind?

Ive been looking into the ASUS P5W DH DELUXE it has alot of nice features plus it fits 4 of my requirement i dont know if it overclocks well or not i haven't found that much on it.

With this board, you should be able to go to 3.0 - 3.2 Ghz fine but not much more due to a chipset weakness. Since you required 2 IDE ports, you are cutting a lot of choices so you are left with this one :(

You want a P35 board for a quad. The trouble will be finding one with two ide.

I'm going to be building a Q6600 machine on a 680i in about 2 weeks. That is my choice but I'm curious to know why the previous poster said that the p35 board would be better for a quad? Maybe he knows something I don't but I've been a fan of Nvidia boards since the first NForce 2 board hit the market. I have always disliked Intel motherboards/chipsets.

P.S. Too bad they don't allow avatars here Thanatos. Yours is one of my favorites. :D

thats because p35 lets say is more compatible with a quad than the 680i. But dont get me wrong, a good 680i mobo will give good oc results as seen on the oc database at the top of the page. Downside with p35 is that only crossfire is supported. Other than that a cheap p35 from gigabyte will do really well... but if youve got the money, a 680i is good.. just dont get one of the early asus 680i's they are problematic with quads when overclocking

im building the same system, with a q6600, 2gig, and a gtx, and i was looking at the 680i's but they are to much money. My choice is now between the 680ia1, or the ABIT IP35 Pro. Or anything thats cheaper than the 680i?

P.S. Too bad they don't allow avatars here Thanatos. Yours is one of my favorites. :D

My avatar from where?

I think i may have to abandon the 2 IDE slot idea its really limiting on the selection of quality boards. Ive been looking into the Abit IP35 Pro now and have been hearing alot of good things about it.

asus blitz edition if you got the cash
waiting on mine from club it via fed ex i just read about it yesterday and ordered it last night it cost more than i planned on spending but i knew if i got anything else i would of regretted it and wished i had gotten the blitz,so i went for it . If you haven't looked at this board check it out it has gotten rave reviews from every site thats tested it. its gotten editors pick ,gold awards and looks to be a great board One review even said it was the PERFECT board

didn't read all requirements but anyway check it out if it don't meet all of them it may make you change your requirements

P5N32-E SLI Plus!

budget awesomeness. better than a few of the popular 680i boards.

and umm, i think it's time to update your cd-rom/hdd's if you still *need* two ide ports.

The reason for the two IDE was i like to run and DVD-Rom and a DVD burner each on different channels. 2 IDE's would mean just one more thing i didnt have to buy with this upgrade. My HD are sata already. Also doesnt XP not play well with SATA DVD-Roms?

My avatar from where?

I think i may have to abandon the 2 IDE slot idea its really limiting on the selection of quality boards. Ive been looking into the Abit IP35 Pro now and have been hearing alot of good things about it.
You're not the same Thanatos from Rubberduckygaming.com?

asus blitz edition if you got the cash
waiting on mine from club it via fed ex i just read about it yesterday and ordered it last night it cost more than i planned on spending but i knew if i got anything else i would of regretted it and wished i had gotten the blitz,so i went for it . If you haven't looked at this board check it out it has gotten rave reviews from every site thats tested it. its gotten editors pick ,gold awards and looks to be a great board One review even said it was the PERFECT board

didn't read all requirements but anyway check it out if it don't meet all of them it may make you change your requirements

I did consider the Blitz Formula but now I lean more towards the IP35-Pro. Hardocp did give the Blitz a gold award but it also gave GA-P35-DQ6 a gold award as well. If they review the IP35_Pro, chances are they would give it a gold award as well.

I am sure Blitz Formula is a very good board but although I do not plan to watercooling, I still have to pay for watercooling design and gears on the MB. Also, the P5K-Premium SATA issues are making me sour on Asus.

I am leaning toward IP35-Pro mainly because of the reviews and more importantly, the people here and the tech sites really praise this MB.

The reason for the two IDE was i like to run and DVD-Rom and a DVD burner each on different channels. 2 IDE's would mean just one more thing i didnt have to buy with this upgrade. My HD are sata already. Also doesnt XP not play well with SATA DVD-Roms?

They're what, 30$ a pop? And XP works just fine with my SATA burner.

Less wires to have to move and hide and work around for airflow too.

Im talking about installing XP. I format about every 6 months having to dig out a IDE drive to reinstall is kinda a hassle.

Im talking about installing XP. I format about every 6 months having to dig out a IDE drive to reinstall is kinda a hassle.

With the newer ICH chips, it's native and I can install with SATA burners. Mine is IDE-free and it's a good delivrance :D

Without the 2 IDE ports restriction, I can suggest you a IP35 Pro, no issues beside some vdroop, which is nothing if you are overclocking conservatively.

me too, I am IDE Free as well!! And yes you will have no problems with installing xp since the chipset has native sata support xp will think of them as any regular optical drive. Go with that and you have more choices now. As for the p35 or 680i, it all depends on if you plan to do SLI or not. I ususally though stick with intel chipsets as everyone one that i have used has treated me well since the 440bx days.

EDIT: Scratch my questions, I HAVE to go with the IP35 because of the southbridge.

Back