The perfect soundcard...

Lyquist

2[H]4U
I have owned several soundcards in my life including professional level cards like the m-audio Delta 66. I have also owned an X-Fi. I wish they would come out with a soundcard that provides the best of both worlds....plenty of inputs for music and good EAX support for games. I liked the X-Fi when I was doing music, and actually used it to import all my four track recordings from years ago....but it's just not up to professional level type stuff. I need more inputs than that. I guess I can dream for m-audio to liscense eax or something like that so that I can have the best of both worlds. I also wish they would start making PCI-E soundcards because newer motherboards doin't have as many useable PCI slots as the old ones do. I went with a Gigabyte DS3 for my latest conroe build because it has three useable PCI slots and that's how many soundcards I have.

Lyquist

Why would you have three sound cards in at once? I'm not an expert on audio, but I don't think I've ever really seen/heard of anyone using multiple cards at once?

Gigabyte DS3 was built pretty much for the mainstream Conroe users. I have one myself, and it has everything I need on it.

blade52x said:
Why would you have three sound cards in at once? I'm not an expert on audio, but I don't think I've ever really seen/heard of anyone using multiple cards at once?
Hang around these forums a little longer and you'll see that lots of us use, or have used multiple soundcards. One creative card for gaming, and some other brand for music listening and recording or home-theatre use ;)

A creative card that could do dolby digital live or DTS encoding in hardware is pretty much all I'm looking for. Decent drivers for it would be an added bonus.

I figure there's more chance of seeing this than creative licensing eax3/4 for via or cmedia to use. :rolleyes:

In the meantime, I'll stick with my onboard sound.

blade52x said:

Gigabyte DS3 was built pretty much for the mainstream Conroe users. I have one myself, and it has everything I need on it.

I use multiple cards because I record multitrack audio on my computer. I can record up to ten analog inputs at one time and four digital. I could use just one card to give me all the inputs, but they were out of my price range.

Lyquist

blade52x said:

I used to ask a similar question, I bought an X-Fi on my computer, and it has a mic/line-in together so i have to swap mic and audio when depending on whether im gaming or recording. Also Xfi isnt yet supported in linux sooo, I tossed a 5$ sb live 5.1 problem solve. :-p

I could probably make a list of components that would be on the perfect sound card, but it would just end up being unjustifiably expensive. Dang.

I think an X-Fi with dolby chips, a via vinyl codec and PCI-EX interface (or PCI but with better input timing circuit thant he current X-Fi so that pops and cracks won't happen when your system is not running in exact PCI bus spec) would make the perfect card.

^^ Did you just suggest a software codec (via noless) based solution for your ideal soundcard......

That is a hardware codec made by via called 'ViaVinyl'

If you haven't listened to it, you do not know what it's about.

Try the Xfi elite pro, seems to be a higher quality offering by creative. I am no expert.

Back