The Pi5 is an actual thing now!

I didn’t see pricing. How bad is it?
Pi5.JPG

Is it going to be forever sold out like the Pi4? Actually I see MC actually has a lot of stock of it now lol. They also listing Pi5 released date as Oct 23rd. $55 4gb and $80 for 8gb.

Ive always wanted a reason to buy one of these... with the new power it might make sense to build a tiny emulation box so my kids can play all these retro games from Nintendo to Dreamcast.

I had a pi 3 and used it for Pihole and other things. It randomly quit working. That sucks because I really liked it. I skipped the 4 but the 5 sounds compelling. I may use it for Pihole again and maybe some other Ham Radio related functions. Hrmmm

I had a pi 3 and used it for Pihole and other things. It randomly quit working. That sucks because I really liked it. I skipped the 4 but the 5 sounds compelling. I may use it for Pihole again and maybe some other Ham Radio related functions. Hrmmm
I don't think PiHole is very demanding. I have it running on a Pi 1. Hardware hasn't given out yet. A Pi 5 just to run PiHole seems like overkill, but would probably set you up for a good long run with it.

Glad to see its evolution - these SBCs can do some great stuff , from media player boxes and emulation to low-power desktops and maker-focused stuff. I'm very glad they've been able to fabricate in the UK as well, and that some of the previous proprietary blob required bits seem to be replaced with FOSS ones. The hardware is a step forward in many ways, but I do wish they would have been able to iterate on something like wireless speed to Wifi 6E or the like, since these That said, I am curious how this will stack up to its competitors in both openness and performance - AMLogic, Rockchip and other SBCs from the likes of ODROID, Pine64 and a variety of knockoffs are all out there so seeing where the Pi5 stacks up will be interesting.

You can run steam's backend server manager to run game servers on the pi 4, can probably do the same thing on the 5.

I sold my pi 3 and the person said it didn’t output hdmi correctly. The picture they sent showed it wasn’t correct though it works fine with an adapter from the hdmi. I don’t know why I’m writing this but when I write things down I read them aloud in my head and I just love hearing myself speak.

I sold my pi 3 and the person said it didn’t output hdmi correctly. The picture they sent showed it wasn’t correct though it works fine with an adapter from the hdmi. I don’t know why I’m writing this but when I write things down I read them aloud in my head and I just love hearing myself speak.
You know that sounds like what happened to mine. Video output stopped working so I shit canned it. I probably could have fixed it.

I don't think PiHole is very demanding. I have it running on a Pi 1. Hardware hasn't given out yet. A Pi 5 just to run PiHole seems like overkill, but would probably set you up for a good long run with it.
Not it's not demanding however I intend to also run some HAM Radio stuff on it. Like a DMR Hotspot, maybe some logging software, maybe setup a web SDR server so people can tune in to listen to shortwave and other Ham Radio operators chat it up late into the night.

Not it's not demanding however I intend to also run some HAM Radio stuff on it. Like a DMR Hotspot, maybe some logging software, maybe setup a web SDR server so people can tune in to listen to shortwave and other Ham Radio operators chat it up late into the night.
The Pi zero 2 w is a fantastic hotspot device with a mmdvm hat. I use mine for fusion though and an open spot 4 for fusion and dstar interoperability with my yaesu and icom/kenwood stuff.

Last edited:
This is very exiting and much needed.
Hopefully there will be a CM5 for the I/O board.

Rather excited, may actually be able to grab one. Back to its roots, it’s tinker time.

I switched to OrangePi for my last project due to the ridiculous rarity of rasp pi.
It works fine for my needs.

I switched to OrangePi for my last project due to the ridiculous rarity of rasp pi.
It works fine for my needs.
Yeah, I wanted to upgrade my 3B, but the 4s you could find on Amazon were like $180, so I got a Rock 5B, which is more powerful than the Pi 5. Costs quite a bit more than a Pi 4 or 5 *should*, though.

I might get one, I use my Pi 3b for Pi-Hole and my Pi 4 for Klipper.

8GB.... damn I remember when I thought $100 for 4MB was a steal

8GB.... damn I remember when I thought $100 for 4MB was a steal
It is amazing, I remember when 1MB of RAM in 1990 was $400.
It's crazy to think that the Pi 4 with 8GB RAM in 2020 had the same amount as a PS4, but then again smartphones have had 8-16GB RAM for quite a few years now as well.

Reactions: TMCM
like this
PS4 had GDDR5 at 176 GB/s vs DDR4-3200 maxing out at around 4-5GB/s for the Pi-4 I think, could say different category of ram going on.

And with the PS4 being a $400 2013 device, I am not sure historically speaking if ram quantity increase was that spectacular. The PS5 in 2020 also had almost the same amount than the PS4, only 16GB

PS4 had GDDR5 at 176 GB/s vs DDR4-3200 maxing out at around 4-5GB/s for the Pi-4 I think, could say different category of ram going on.
I'm well aware, I was talking about quantity not speed, as obviously the PS4 was more powerful than a Pi 4 is now, even back in 2013.
Also DDR4-3200 single-channel and a 64-bit bus has around 25.6GB/s of memory bandwidth, not 4-5GB/s.

The Pi 5 has a much reduced memory latency with LPDDR4X, which was direly needed for the GPU as well, which I think is even more exciting than the memory bandwidth increase, even if the quantity itself did not increase.
They did state that 16GB of RAM might be possible, making some larger projects and tasks for the Pi 5 become very lucrative for low-power computing.

And with the PS4 being a $400 2013 device, I am not sure historically speaking if ram quantity increase was that spectacular. The PS5 in 2020 also had almost the same amount than the PS4, only 16GB
Apparently you don't remember how much of an increase between the PS3 and PS4 were in RAM, which was the PS3's biggest bottleneck, especially by 2013.
Most desktop computers easily had between 4GB-8GB RAM, where as the PS3 only had 256MB RAM.

The RAM quantity increase from the PS3 (256MB) to the PS4 (8GB) was a 16 times increase between generations, so at the time in 2013 yes the increase between console generations was spectacular.

6b5.jpg

Reactions: TMCM
like this
Also DDR4-3200 single-channel and a 64-bit bus has around 25.6GB/s of memory bandwidth, not 4-5GB/s.
in real life benchmark the Pi-4 seem to have maxed out at 4.x GB/s, it was a 32 bits bus doing less than its theorical max speed.
Apparently you don't remember how much of an increase between the PS3 and PS4 were in RAM, which was the PS3's biggest bottleneck, especially by 2013.
Most desktop computers easily had between 4GB-8GB RAM, where as the PS3 only had 256MB RAM.
Yup, a big reason why the 2012/13 jump to now in quantity do not feel impressive, the jump for the console was spectacular, but 8gb of ram for a system in 2013 was very little, 18GB+was quite common, they are unexpensive machine.

in real life benchmark the Pi-4 seem to have maxed out at 4.x GB/s, it was a 32 bits bus doing less than its theorical max speed.
I stand corrected on that one, I thought I had read that it was much greater, but nope.

Yup, a big reason why the 2012/13 jump to now in quantity do not feel impressive, the jump for the console was spectacular, but 8gb of ram for a system in 2013 was very little, 18GB+was quite common, they are unexpensive machine.
8GB RAM was very common for average gaming desktops at the time, so I wouldn't say it was very little unlike these days where 8GB actually is very little.
Aside from [H]'s bleeding edge I don't remember seeing many gaming desktops or even workstations having more than 16GB RAM circa 2013, unlike now where even 32-64GB in a laptop is becoming more common let alone in desktops, but this is off topic and there are many threads on here about that.

The exciting thing about the Pi 5 is the vastly increase CPU compute and backwards compatibility of the previous generations.
I'm very much looking forward to seeing a CM5 and running native NVMe on it as I did with the CM4.

Back