The Q6600 is a beast

I just started year 3 with my Q6600. Great CPU for everything I do. I probably won't consider upgrading until 2011.

Loving my Q6600 - might add a new GPU to the computer, but I still run all the games I play at max settings so why even bother!

the days of upgrading pcs are done. Unless you are doing gaming or scientific computing a Q6600 will last many many many years.

I got my Q6600 off a buddy who upgraded to an I7 setup about a year or so ago...really is an awesome cpu. I figure I should get another year or two out of it, depending on how it handles games.

No reason to upgrade here yet either. I've been running since July 2007, right after the G0 revision came out. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I'd still be running it 2+ years from now, especially with W7 released in the past year.

The Q6600 will go down as the best value chip in history.

E6600 3.6 since November 06 and the computer has been running basically 90% of that time. Need to replace the cruddy fans on the case cause they're starting to make noises but the chip has been worth every penny

E6600 3.6 since November 06 and the computer has been running basically 90% of that time. Need to replace the cruddy fans on the case cause they're starting to make noises but the chip has been worth every penny

E6600 =/= Q6600 ;)

My Q6600 was $40 from somebody upgrading his computer and getting rid of it haha. Told him $50, but I only had $40 and he took it.

Now @ 3.6GHz :cool:

Indeed OP. I'm still rockin' mine, upgraded to a SSD and 5870, but still a good ole Q6600 running the show.

Bought mine off a buddy for $125 almost 2 years ago. Been rocking 3.2 with ease and don't see a reason to upgrade it anytime soon. It will run 3.6 but I don't really see a benefit so why push it if I don't have to?

heck, i'm still running with my E6600. just the 2 cores here. Still does all that want it to. Planning on going to i7 rig when prices come down a bit further though...

E6600 =/= Q6600 ;)

My Q6600 was $40 from somebody upgrading his computer and getting rid of it haha. Told him $50, but I only had $40 and he took it.

Now @ 3.6GHz :cool:

Highway robbery at 40 bucks, haha. Use to have couple Q6600s, down to one which is now in a kitchen rig.

I cant wait to get my new motherboard so I can get my G0 up to 4GHz or beyond on water. Woo!

I loved my Q6600 it was a monster. I had it to 3.4 on air with low temps. It really is a monster of a CPU. My I7 is the same way

I love my q6600, I look at the cost of the i7, and I can't see a reason to upgrade yet. Then again I'm still tossing drives and another controller in my fileserver as fast as I can, so all my money is going into that machine ATM.

My current 2+ year run with a Q6600 is the longest I have had a CPU and not upgraded. Heck, I am not even thinking about upgrading it. I should be able to get another year out of this until 32nm quads are available on the cheap.

This thread is still alive AND the Q6600 is still a viable processor. For day-to-day tasks, gaming and general use the Q6600 really is a powerhouse.

I think CPU technology has reached the point where they are ahead of the curve. The Q6600 has been out for 3 years and it still has a couple years of life left in it.

I upgraded to an i7 860 a couple months ago but I'm not going to hate on the Q6600. It powered my main box for almost 2 full years (2 different chips on at least 4 diff motherboards though :p ). That's practically unheard of.

Then again you could just chalk it up to a fat stagnant Intel :(

you guys are making me think about purchasing one as an extremely cheap upgrade. just buy a used q6600, a 775 mobo, and splurge for a pciX vid card. would still be a great upgrade for cheap. (for me lol)

They can run everything you can throw at it. Awesome chip. Had the Q6600 and a X3210, both are wonderfull chips.

My E6600 is still running @ 3.5 for close to 30 months now. I've had little reason to upgrade, and probably won't until next fall. I think Core2 really put things into perspective, as I remember my Barton 2500m felt sluggish compared to my core2 at release, but that certainly doesn't feel the same when I use the i7 systems I've built for people.

I think we're starting to hit a diminishing performance return per generation cycle, and unless you're on the bleeding edge of things you won't really notice a big difference.

Got a core2 duo cpu at 3.6ghz 1.46v.

I wanted a quad core cpu, I bought one but it wouldn't overclock more then 200mhz(wouldnt even hit 3ghz). I ended up returning it and taking the re stocking hit.

My little core 2 duo chip at 3.6ghz is still running like a champ tho. Does everything I need so far.

I'm looking to get a quad CPU to replace my E6420 (2.13ghz which i have @ 3.0 at the moment), the Q9550 looked to be a good upgrade but when i checked my mobo's user guide i noticed this:

* Because of chipset limitations, when using FSB 1333 MHz CPU with populating all DIMM sockets, memory frequency will be reduced from the original, and system instability or incorrect detection of memory module may be occur.
Please refer "Memory Support List" for memory support information.

It's a GA-P31-ES3G, Intel P31 chipset, i don't really understand what that even means, are they saying it only supports a 1333 FSB with certain memory brands?

I'm thinking it may be better to stick with a slightly older CPU like the Q6600 but is there any benefit coming from a core2 3.0ghz?

the days of upgrading pcs are done. Unless you are doing gaming or scientific computing a Q6600 will last many many many years.

For most general usage, it is actually overkill. Though, there are applications and many to come that would tax it. The extra CPU power comes in quite handy with the need to reencode movies to play on my Ipod touch.

As anxious as I am to bite, I will wait for the next gen of CPU's.... and enjoy my q6600 and q6700

Hell I could say the same about my old single Athlon 64 3400+. Got that system running Windows 7, Office 2010 and it runs just fine.

I would hope so! Correct me if im wrong but wasn't it $800+ when it debuted?

I would hope so! Correct me if im wrong but wasn't it $800+ when it debuted?

I paid $400 for that chip 6 years ago to the almost to the day. It launched in January 2004. Great chip for the time. The Athlon 64 X2 4800+ cost me about $800 in December 2005 and how its sitting in my closet in an Asus A8N32-SLI motherboard. Haven't had it on it two years.

I made a bet with myself to see how long I could keep this chip.
Mostly because I don't feel like swapping out my board and memory for an upgrade.

I'm going for at least 5 years.
2 down already.

You know guys to be perfectly honest, and this is the truth: For surfin the net, checking email, talking on MSN and listening to tunes while downloading the odd game demo, I don't notice a single bit of difference between my last PC which was a Prescott 3.4GHz and the E8400 3GHz I have now. Both had same amount of system memory and both used the same hard drive as I just swaped it out. What I do notice is my PC gaming went from unplayable in some games to playable in every game. I don't encode or decode or fold anything@home so really 2 cores is plenty for me. A quad core for me would be simply overkill and a waste of cash. I don't even think I could justify it even if I really wanted to...

So to the dudes that say they notice huge speed differences when they upgrade for general web surfin....bullocks to you!

Still running that baby at 3.4 ghz on stock volts.. the best cpu i've ever owned. I'm gonna keep it hopefully until 2012 when I do another upgrade cycle.

I'm in the club as well, an excellent chip and one of the few things in my tower I haven't upgraded since I built the clunker.

i remember with my previous upgrades it always felt inadequate that i needed to OC and upgrade more and more....Barton 3000+, P4 2.8, A64 3200+.....with the Q6600 it stops here i seriously will not upgrade from this chip....better to spend the money on a better graphics card.

I've been running mine at 3.6 for quite a while. It has been a great investment, I'll stay with it until the 6 core chips come out.

upgraded from a stock AMD4200 X2 to the Q6600 both were at stock clocks - but the Q6600 breaths way more easily with my gaming demands (HL2, L4D, WoW, EVE.) Playing H.264 media is a breeze, where it was iffy with the 4200, I kept my 8800GT as it still suffices for my needs

I've got a Q6600 G0 @ 3.5 GHz in my gaming rig and a B3 at stock with EIST in my WHS. The B3 will never get upgraded. I will probably hold on to the G0 until it dies. I'm not even looking forward to 6-core CPUs because we can't even get good 4-core support.

Back