The Razer BlackWidow Mechanical Keyboard

stefan231

Gawd
http://www.facebook.com/home.php+++...cal-keyboard-feel-the-difference/455672730942

http://www2.razerzone.com/blackwidow

The Razer BlackWidow Mechanical Keyboard: Feel the Difference

Whoever who said that keystroke response in gaming is secondary needs to have his street cred checked. Whether it involves lobbing a grenade or micro managing your inventory and ground units, every gamer needs to know that they can rely on their gear for the utmost precise reaction to their every move.

We’ve been exposed to other “gaming mechanical keyboards” but none have provided gamers with comfort or tactile precision with their stiff and unresponsive keys.

Where most keyboards fail, this is where the Razer BlackWidow’s mechanical keys shine.

The Razer BlackWidow’s full mechanical key architecture provides a distinctive and crisp tactile feedback that simulates the experience and precision of performing a mouse click, giving gamers an entirely new feel.

Gone are the days where gamers expend precious seconds to fully depress keys. With its defined clicks, your fingers will know exactly when the key command has been executed. The Razer BlackWidow gives you that extra fraction of a second for you to move on to your next key press which can be the difference between gunning down the opposition and being frag fodder.

The keys on the Razer BlackWidow also noticeably take less effort to push, resulting in maximum comfort when you're planning a Razer Venom-fueled gaming marathon.

The revolutionary Razer BlackWidow mechanical gaming keyboard will be available in September 2010. Also available in the same month is the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate, a step up from the original edition with the added features of individually backlit keys with 5 levels of lighting, 3.5” audio and microphone out jacks as well as an additional USB port.

Learn more about the Razer BlackWidow and its unique mechanical keys

Pre-Order your very own today

http://www2.razerzone.com/blackwidow

I'ts great seeing more gaming keyboards with mechanical switches being brought on to the market. Maybe logitech's new G1337 will have mechanical switches too :)

I'm just wondering what switches the keyboard uses..

The chart on the FB page says "Pronounced Click" and 50 grams so I have to assume it's blue switches

The chart on the FB page says "Pronounced Click" and 50 grams so I have to assume it's blue switches

The masses seem to think MX blue's are not the greatest switches for gaming. If it is MX blue's tho, then this keyboard has my interest.

The masses seem to think MX blue's are not the greatest switches for gaming. If it is MX blue's, then this keyboard has my interest.

I'm part of the masses that think Blues don't make good gaming keyboards, but it also depends on the game. I have a Filco with cherry black switches and think it's great for gaming.

I also think they are misleading with their softer touch chart. Membrane keyboards are no where near 60 grams of force, most are pretty light on the touch.

If this keyboard had browns or blacks I'd consider buying it, with blues, no thanks.

There is the possibility this isn't a Cherry MX switch at all, so don't just think in terms of those.

http://www.cravingtech.com/razer-bl...nical-keyboard-revealed-at-gamescom-2010.html

Thanks for the link. Made me drop this keyboard off of my wishlist. There is so much bs in those marketing statements of this keyboard. The below statement almost makes me rage :mad:

"An elite mechanical gaming keyboard, named the Razer BlackWidow, the world’s first mechanical gaming keyboard!"

The fact that it isn't even a NKRO board (at least based on what they write about anti ghosting) is what I found humourous personally...

Well if you define gaming keyboard as zylions of mycros and other pointless stuff like that then they are probably right ;)

Thanks for the link. Made me drop this keyboard off of my wishlist. There is so much bs in those marketing statements of this keyboard. The below statement almost makes me rage :mad:

"An elite mechanical gaming keyboard, named the Razer BlackWidow, the world’s first mechanical gaming keyboard!"

Razer is not claiming it is the "world's first mechanical gaming keyboard", that website in the link is. It certainly isn't the world's first, so I see where you're coming from by being annoyed by that statement.

It may not be. There are other switches out there besides the Cherry MX switches.

The masses seem to think MX blue's are not the greatest switches for gaming. If it is MX blue's tho, then this keyboard has my interest.

The only area in which I agree with the masses on that is with regard to the sound. Its kind of annoying for gaming. Which is why I use my Belkin N52 for my gaming keyboard needs. Slower paced games like RTSes or what not are fine with the Cherry MX Blue switch based keyboards though.

I'm part of the masses that think Blues don't make good gaming keyboards, but it also depends on the game. I have a Filco with cherry black switches and think it's great for gaming.

I also think they are misleading with their softer touch chart. Membrane keyboards are no where near 60 grams of force, most are pretty light on the touch.

If this keyboard had browns or blacks I'd consider buying it, with blues, no thanks.

If this keyboard uses Cherry MX Blues, then I'll be interested in it. Short of that, no thanks.

I game on my blues every day.. typing and gaming is perfect

Again the noise generated by the clicks while using Cherry MX Blue keyboards is undesirable while playing games. Some can tune that out and others can't. I do not seem to be able to tune that noise out with any type of consistency. Again my membrane based N52 works for my FPS gaming needs. No its not mechanical, but its quiet and feels OK for what it is.

wow i like the look of the gigabyte better.

Cool beans. Hopefully somebody picks one up so we can see what mechnism the keys are using, though it looks like its either blues or clears from where i stand.

I just wish that the LED + USB Hub + audio port version of the keyboard wasn't FIFTY DOLLARS more expensive than the plain one. That's a little ridiculous for components that probably amount to less than $10 off the shelf to someone not even buying in bulk.

It may not be. There are other switches out there besides the Cherry MX switches.

The only area in which I agree with the masses on that is with regard to the sound. Its kind of annoying for gaming. Which is why I use my Belkin N52 for my gaming keyboard needs. Slower paced games like RTSes or what not are fine with the Cherry MX Blue switch based keyboards though.

Slow in what sense? I'm actually not comfortable using Blues for SC2 or BW. Anything with short activation bothers me.

EDIT: And I like the noise. :)

The fact that it isn't even a NKRO board (at least based on what they write about anti ghosting) is what I found humourous personally...

Is it the first to have macro and macro keys?

Yup, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that this is why they do not have NKRO. I'm pretty sure that a PS2 connection would keep it from using macro keys, which is why they did not include NKRO in the feature set.

I hope it doesn't have that awful rubber coating they like putting on everything.

Absolutely, I hate the way Razer keys feel. I suspect that this won't be "built like a tank" like the Filco or Steelseries mechanical keyboards either, but we'll see.

Yup, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that this is why they do not have NKRO. I'm pretty sure that a PS2 connection would keep it from using macro keys, which is why they did not include NKRO in the feature set.

That would make sense. Unfortunately however that doesn't seem to explain why they dont have 6KRO (max allowed on USB) though.

Absolutely, I hate the way Razer keys feel. I suspect that this won't be "built like a tank" like the Filco or Steelseries mechanical keyboards either, but we'll see.

Razer should only be used in the same sentence as the phrase "built like a tank" if one is trying to say "Razer stuff is never built like a tank."

Razer should only be used in the same sentence as the phrase "built like a tank" if one is trying to say "Razer stuff is never built like a tank."

Haha, yup. I dunno, we'll see, but I'm not expecting a heavy keyboard that doesn't flex, unlike the Filco or Steelseries. This is partly based on other Razer products, and the fact that their mechanical keyboards are $20-$40 cheaper than other mechanical keyboards out there.

I love Razer products...

But my G19 has definitely won me over. I constantly make use of the LCD with Vent and Zune. I *love* it!

I would like to know how much pressure I have to apply to my Das Keyboard, so I could compare them. I could never game on my Das Keyboard. It takes way too much pressure to activate each key. (Although it is very satisfying for typing.)

I've heard that mx blue are not very good for gaming, but others say that mx blue is great. I guess it just boils down to personal preference.

i wish keyboards werent so friggin expensive.

steelseries, 150

razer 130

geez.

Dunan - The Steelseries 6Gv2 is $100, uses the same Cherry MX black switches that the $150 7G does. The differences are no audio and USB ports.

It is a good deal, cheaper than the Filco that I use now. The reason the Filco is my main gaming keyboard is because I could pick brown switches, but if I wanted black then I'd go with the Steelseries all the way.

I've heard that mx blue are not very good for gaming, but others say that mx blue is great. I guess it just boils down to personal preference.

I kind of wish they went with brown switches instead. No annoying audible clicking but you still get physical feedback. Plus the actuation and release points are right on top of each other, while they have more separation with the blue switches.

Indeed. This is a gaming keyboard, I want to hear my games, not the "click,click,click" of me playing the game.

Or they could allow you to choose your switches so everyone can be happy.

Like that's going to happen lol.

I'ts great seeing more gaming keyboards with mechanical switches being brought on to the market. Maybe logitech's new G1337 will have mechanical switches too :)

I'm just wondering what switches the keyboard uses..

Is there seriously a new top-of-the-line G-series keyboard coming out? This Razer keyboard is nice, but it seems to pale in comparison to the Logitech G19 in every way, save for some preference to mechanical switches.

Razer's hardware is good, but their software has totally turned me off. Its proprietary and often so much of their hardware requires software control and drivers. Logi won my business by open-sourcing the SDK for G-series LCDs for instance, and the in-line macro recording doesn' require software. As a Linux user, this kind of stuff is important to me, an Razer seems to fall flat on its face.

Is there seriously a new top-of-the-line G-series keyboard coming out? This Razer keyboard is nice, but it seems to pale in comparison to the Logitech G19 in every way, save for some preference to mechanical switches.

Razer's hardware is good, but their software has totally turned me off. Its proprietary and often so much of their hardware requires software control and drivers. Logi won my business by open-sourcing the SDK for G-series LCDs for instance, and the in-line macro recording doesn' require software. As a Linux user, this kind of stuff is important to me, an Razer seems to fall flat on its face.

I haven't heard of any new G-series keyboards. I was just hoping logitech would jump the mechanical switch train soon too. I think I'll be skipping this keyboard too due to the need of drivers, but I'll let proper review make the final decision for me.

Dunan - The Steelseries 6Gv2 is $100, uses the same Cherry MX black switches that the $150 7G does. The differences are no audio and USB ports.

It is a good deal, cheaper than the Filco that I use now. The reason the Filco is my main gaming keyboard is because I could pick brown switches, but if I wanted black then I'd go with the Steelseries all the way.

really. i might check it out since i've never used the audio or usb ports on any keyboard i've owned that had them (G11, razer lycosis)

Dunan - It is really good. I have a 6Gv2 thanks to a friend at SteelSeries. My Filco is my main gaming keyboard, but that is partly because I already had it before I got the 6G sent over. It is still a good keyboard and I have nothing against it. The thing I like about the Filco, aside from the brown switches, is that I got the version without the number pad. My mouse and keyboard hands sit much closer when I play games thanks to that, and since I use my PC primarily for games I figure I'd just treat the keyboard as a really big controller.

Either way, check the 6Gv2 out. Great keyboard, less expensive than the Filco, and it is built like a tank (seriously, you could clock someone in the back of the head with this thing :) )

Dunan - It is really good. I have a 6Gv2 thanks to a friend at SteelSeries. My Filco is my main gaming keyboard, but that is partly because I already had it before I got the 6G sent over. It is still a good keyboard and I have nothing against it. The thing I like about the Filco, aside from the brown switches, is that I got the version without the number pad. My mouse and keyboard hands sit much closer when I play games thanks to that, and since I use my PC primarily for games I figure I'd just treat the keyboard as a really big controller.

I'm opposite of you in regards to keyboard placement. When I game, I slide my keyboard to the left so the WASD keys line up with the my chair's left armrest. I picked up the tenkeyless so the keyboard would be more centered with the monitor.

Back