The Socket 478 to 775 CPU Transfer Card

Would you be interested in purchasing a 478 to 775 Transfer Card?

• Total voters

The_HAVOK

n00b
Something that has been on my mind for a while now is the existence of the 478 to 775 transfer card.

It's basically a little adapter that allows a 478 CPU to be installed into socket 775.
image_id_1955365.jpg
UPCSF003200_02_L.jpg

They look like this.

If you do a little digging you can find some little threads and posts about people that have tested these things on various 775 motherboards with varying success.
My personal application to obtaining one of these is for my obsession with weird old obscure computer hardware, and of course to continue my quest for maxing out the Intel Socket 478 64-Bit 3.4Ghz Pentium 4 SL7Q8

Ideally what I would like to do is essentially socket my SL7Q8 into a 775 board and run it with pretty much any amount of RAM above its supposed 4GB limitation.
I would also like to test out overclocking capabilities and characteristics when a 478 CPU is installed on a 775 board.

I've looking around at getting one for a while now with no luck. I did find a Chinese manufacturer that claims to make these, in special production run orders.
I have thought about contacting them for a small batch of 50-100, depending on what their minimum order amount is, and reselling them on eBay or something.
Cast your vote in the poll if you think you would be interested in getting one of these.

The biggest issue you are going to run into is going to be bios support, going to need some bios hackery to make this work. Plus then you will also have heatsink and mounting issues as you cant install this using the normal latching mount on 775. You may be able to get it to all work, but I wouldnt expect it to work well.

The biggest issue you are going to run into is going to be bios support, going to need some bios hackery to make this work. Plus then you will also have heatsink and mounting issues as you cant install this using the normal latching mount on 775. You may be able to get it to all work, but I wouldnt expect it to work well.
I am pretty sure its more of a chipset limitation rather then a bios limitation both 478 and 775 boards, at least the earlier 775 boards, share a lot of the same chipsets. as for heatsink mounting, I have zip-ties.

Here's a few other forums where people have tested or talked about these things plus one of the guys that say they make them

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...5-Motherboard-by-478-to-775-CPU-Transfer-Card
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/socket-478-cpu-to-socket-775-cpu-transfer-card.252053/
https://kingsion.en.ec21.com/CPU-Transfer-Card--Save--2615111_2842951.html

I'm weird and obsessed with older hardware like this. Really socket 478 Prescott Pentiums are what got me into computers in the first place.
I like to see what I can do with it, push them to their limits because I can.
there is a lot of weird cool stuff out there like the ASRock P4 Combo which has both a 775 and 478 socket, or the ASUS P4V800D-X which has both an AGP and PCI-E x16 slot, or even the ASUS CT-479 which allows a socket 479 mobile Pentium-M to be installed to the desktop version 478.

I doubt youll find much interest in this but goodluck!

I ran a socket 775 asrock mb that accepted both ddr and ddr2 back then and ran the ct-479 in a asus p4c800-e deluxe with more mobile procs than i can count(and killed). So i can get where your coming from. It was a fun time.

Back