The Solid State Revolution

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
This is a great article i think some of you will be interested in.

On Christmas morning, or soon thereafter, your laptop will go silent. So will your family's video camera. The quiet will spread worldwide. In Delhi, the huge data centers that store your customers' information will fall into an electronic hush. Even your TiVo will go mute. There will be no more flywheels. No more fans. No more hard-drive platters spinning for data, gorging on electricity, and clattering to an apocalyptic stop whenever the power goes out. Because moving parts are dead. The new state of our union will be: solid.

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/131/have-a-solid-holiday.html?page=0,0

Sorry, but it's going to be a long time before SSDs show up in my TiVo. A TiVo, regardless of whether or not you're actually telling it to record something, is constantly writing to the hard drive. Ignoring the random write issue that would crop up from multiple tuners, a current-model SSD would last all of a couple weeks before failing.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm really fond of the 1TB of storage in my S3. No current SSD can match that and I'm not going back to the stock 250GB (the largest currently-available SSD).

Sorry, but it's going to be a long time before SSDs show up in my TiVo. A TiVo, regardless of whether or not you're actually telling it to record something, is constantly writing to the hard drive. Ignoring the random write issue that would crop up from multiple tuners, a current-model SSD would last all of a couple weeks before failing.

"Random write issue"? Current decent SSDs will outlast any hard drive you have.

SSDs can't match HDDs on capacity, GB/$, long-levity and pure throughput (esp. when streaming large files). This should all be fixed by the end of this year? Keep dreaming.

You won't see me using SSDs any time soon.

I think by "Random write issue" that person meant the fact that some MLC-based SSD hardware (basically those with the JMicron controllers) are seriously crippled when it comes to random writes, and performance plummets far far below even average hard drive technology these days.

If not, no idea, but that's how I interpret the comment.

Well, all SSDs do is random writes. You don't want sequential writes on a SSD. Even if some specific SSDs have problems, it doesn't mean that all of them do. I personally own a Samsung SLC SSD and I've had nothing but good experiences with it.

I just read an article over at Toms and they say SSD's are still a ways off, due to their cost-per-byte.
A good HD Raid array is far more cost-effective, but we are all tech junkies, who goes for cost
effective? I got stuff I don't need, just to get that extra performance out of writing email!

Sure, they're not a mainstream thing yet due to their higher costs, but that won't last forever. A large hard drive RAID array may be more cost effective for consumers that want the highest capacity available, but SSDs have their place at the moment since hard drives can't match the IOPS and access times that SSDs offer.

MLC SSDs have issues wtih random writes. Those with the current crop of JMicron controllers are hit particularly hard, causing system freezes of a few seconds at a time whenever you start to write a lot to the disk. SLC drives are not affected, nor is the Intel X25-M (and OCZ is claiming that their Vertex will not have issues since it has a different controller and onboard cache).

Back