The tiny slot to put in mSATA SSD on MSI Z87-GD45

Mr. Stryker

Supreme [H]ardness
I noticed that I have a tiny slot in the area between the CPU and the PCI-E lanes, where I can put in mSATA SSDs and stuff like that. I'm not up to date with mSATA things. What are your recommendations on putting something in there? The empty spot irritates me lol. Someone told me there is something like tiny WiFi boards that can be plugged into the mSATA slot? I thought it was for hard drives only.

Are you sure it's mSATA and not mini-PCIe?

It does make a difference. The physical slot is the same, but the type of card they will accept is totally different.

Pretty sure it's mSATA, because according to the manual it will disable the SATA 6 port if it was in use.

Are you sure it's mSATA and not mini-PCIe?

It does make a difference. The physical slot is the same, but the type of card they will accept is totally different.

mSATA is not a different slot.

mini-PCIe is mini-PCIe, there is no slot called mSATA, the difference is that not all mini-PCIe slots support mSATA standard.

mSATA is not a different slot.

Read what you quoted. I said it was the same physical slot...

Edit: Just to be EXTRA clear...

There are slots that support mini-PCIe cards ONLY (they only have PCIe lanes wired to the slot).
There are slots that support mSATA storage devices ONLY (they only have SATA wired to the slot).
There are slots that support both (they have the entire gamut wired up).

mini-PCIe slots also usually feature USB data and power, and some "mini PCIe" cards are actually just USB devices in modified form-factor.

Last edited:
Definitely worth getting 2 and taking advantage of MSI's Super Raid. I have heard great things about it, and it is one of the reasons I want the GT60 3k notebook. that one has the second gen for the notebook to have up to 3 MSATA SSDs in Raid 0. I am drooling thinking about it... I like the fact that the on mobo MSATA raid frees up space in the case and reduces wire clutter. I would definitely go for that drive - and two if you can swing it :D

Back