The true value of NCQ

haelduksf

Limp Gawd
I'm building myself a new A64 machine, but I think I screwed up. I got myself a pair of 200g W.D. SATA drives thinking that I was getting them on sale (I didn't). Now I have these two drives that I paid full retail for ($140 CAD each), and am reading rave reviews about NCQ. My question is: should I try to sell these drives and aquire myself some NCQ-supporting drives and likely lose some money in the process, or will I notice a difference at all? I'm going to use this sucker for gaming, coding and maybe some lite 3-d grafix, so I'm thinking at this point that the added CPU usage for NCQ pretty much cancels out any improved speed. Any thoughts?

Right now NCQ is really only supported by the higher end SATA raid controllers, eventually all sata2 controllers with have ncq, and supposedly, all controllers can support it with a firmware upgrade. You should be fine though, I doubt you'd notice the difference.

eh, most people won't even notice the difference between NCQ drives and non NVQ drives, it's geared more towards the service type market. You'll be fine with those drives.

NCQ should have an advantage for mutli-user environments.. not really a desktop enhancement. Storagereview has a little thing on NCQ in some of their recent reviews.

As Drizzit said: it only helps mulituser enviruments

That does not mean more than one login on a computer, it means more than one person accessing at one time.. eg: on a Server

For normal desktop use, it is actually a little slower.

==>Lazn

Back