The truth about x86 folder

uviuar2

Limp Gawd
This question has been asked a million times before, but I have yet to find a satisfactory answer.

When running Vista/W7, does anybody know if windows really cares whether you install a program to the x86 or non x86 folders? I understand that when an application is detected as a 32bit app, windows by default will install it to the Program Files (x86) folder, but is this folder label purely for reference? Or does it actually control how windows will execute it?

I ask because I do not like having 50% of my software installed in one Program Files directory, and the other 50% installed in yet another Program Files directory, forcing me to have to comb through both as the software piles up through years of use. I keep a neat system. Games are installed to a Games folder, and programs installed to a programs folder. Not dual folders with similar but different names.

Every google forum hit I find just says "I let them install wherever they want, lolz!" Seriously, for people who run a tight ship, can I install programs wherever I want and windows will properly launch them? I really fail to believe that a mere folder name is all windows looks at when executing program code.

Not just cosmetic, gotta remember Windows installs 32 and 64 bit versions of its programs. Every other program really doesn't care.

Every google forum hit I find just says "I let them install wherever they want, lolz!" Seriously, for people who run a tight ship, can I install programs wherever I want and windows will properly launch them? I really fail to believe that a mere folder name is all windows looks at when executing program code.
They're separated to prevent DLL conflicts - for instance, say you installed the 32-bit version of Acrobat and the 64-bit version of Photoshop. You wouldn't want the DLLs to be conflicting. Hence the separation.

In regards to your overall goal, just install the programs in the Programs Files directories as default. By running a "clean ship" you're sacrificing the security of your system. Programs aren't allowed to write in the Program Files directories, and by moving your programs outside those directories you're allowing user-mode programs to alter and potentially infect/corrupt your programs.

Some programs, for example Photoshop, will install both 32-bit and 64-bit, so you need separate and distinct folders in order to avoid conflicts.

This question has been asked a million times before, but I have yet to find a satisfactory answer.

When running Vista/W7, does anybody know if windows really cares whether you install a program to the x86 or non x86 folders?
Absolutely not. It's simply for keeping track of where your 32 and 64 bit programs are; to keep them separate, for the reasons pointed out above. As a matter of fact I have installed some old games in the Program Files folder for compatibility reasons because their patches are hard coded to point at a specific directory.

Back